Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Petition to remove Darkfall from MMORPG.COM

123457»

Comments

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

The Whole Thread

Ignorance is bliss.

It shouldn't be removed, but it isn't helping that fanbois are sugar coating every aspect they possibly can. Like the 8yr development track I tried to set a certain someone straight *cough* ahem you know who you are.

Anyway sure Darkfall has been in development an abnormal amount of time, sure the promises are too great for the small company and let alone the hardware available today. It doesn't mean the Darkfall community still won't get a watered down version of the game's vision sometime in the near future. Just let it be and see how this pans out. "No use crying over split milk," as my mom would always say.

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • GazenthiaGazenthia Member Posts: 1,186

Originally posted by botagar

you sir, are a biggotted idiot!

RazorWax did not 'pass' the torch, well, they did, but Aventurine extinguised the torch, destroyed it and built a new one of RazorWax's plans (concept). Putting it in your analogy.

First of all I am a madam as you could tell from my user name, yet somehow I think you knew that already.

Second, I don't think you have any idea what 'bigotry' and 'idiocy' actually mean. Else you wouldn't be incorrectly using them in a haphazard attempt to substitute a legitimate and relevant argument. I've been on forums since 2000, I recognize debate diarrhea when I see it.

Third, it's pretty clear that your last sentence is meant as a counter to something I said. I want you to put on your critical thinking hat and see if you can determine how you did not, in fact, counter anything I just said. If anything, you contradicted yourself. I'll accept an apology when you figure it out.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/12/13/

• CatizoneCatizone Member Posts: 233

Originally posted by botagar
    RazorWax did not 'pass' the torch, well, they did, but Aventurine extinguised the torch, destroyed it

I'll agree with that LOL

• erandurerandur Member Posts: 727

Even if it doesn't come out, developers can learn from just reading the concept... Right now we need anything we can get to prevent more WoW clones... :)

You know it, the best way to realize your dreams is waking up and start moving, never lose hope and always keep up.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

Originally posted by erandur

Even if it doesn't come out, developers can learn from just reading the concept... Right now we need anything we can get to prevent more WoW clones... :)

They would just read it wrong anyway.  To the suits, this will be just more proof that the model either won't sell...or takes too much investment (as proven by the long dev time and deep costs) to be worth the money when they can churn out a WoW clone quick and cheap for a fast return.

Hence why we get so mad at them.  If they actually MADE the stupid game we'd have an example which could change the industry.  If they are just bs'ing us all...they've driven another nail into the coffin.

• CatizoneCatizone Member Posts: 233

when they can churn out a WoW clone quick and cheap for a fast return.

You think 50 million dollars is cheap for a video game?

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

Originally posted by Catizone

when they can churn out a WoW clone quick and cheap for a fast return.

You think 50 million dollars is cheap for a vbideo game?

Cheaper than paying the same sized team an extra 3-4 years to take on a project the size of what Darkfall is about on a super polished and professional level.  Remember, WoW didn't have near the content that DF is promising on release...and it took them how many years to make it?  With how many devs?  For a WoW team to make DF...it would probably have cost them 80-100 mil.

Also, If I'm not mistaken, Tabula Rasa cost around 80 million itself.  It wasn't a WoW clone, and failed.  Had they saved 30 million dollars and made a WoW clone...they could have probably had at least 100K subs for a moment.  Just more nails in the coffin of innovation.  That 30 million is a lot of money to be saving.  Even worse, it cost BLIZZARD 50 million to make WoW.  These clones aren't spending near that much, well...maybe near...but not likely 50 million.  Blizz spent 50 million because it had 50 million to spend.  They didn't need as much investment...they had a parent company AND a host of massively successful titles lining their pockets.

• wumptrooperwumptrooper Member Posts: 77

Originally posted by Gishgeron

Cheaper than paying the same sized team an extra 3-4 years to take on a project the size of what Darkfall is about on a super polished and professional level.  Remember, WoW didn't have near the content that DF is promising on release...and it took them how many years to make it?  With how many devs?  For a WoW team to make DF...it would probably have cost them 80-100 mil.
      Also, If I'm not mistaken, Tabula Rasa cost around 80 million itself.  It wasn't a WoW clone, and failed.  Had they saved 30 million dollars and made a WoW clone...they could have probably had at least 100K subs for a moment.  Just more nails in the coffin of innovation.  That 30 million is a lot of money to be saving.  Even worse, it cost BLIZZARD 50 million to make WoW.  These clones aren't spending near that much, well...maybe near...but not likely 50 million.  Blizz spent 50 million because it had 50 million to spend.  They didn't need as much investment...they had a parent company AND a host of massively successful titles lining their pockets.

EVE Online, currently the second most popular MMO in the NA/EU (well, third if you count Runescape), costed $3 million to develop. It's also the most complex MMO out there (more complex than DFO IMO), not a WoW clone by any means. DAoC costed about $2 million to develop as well, though it was rather simple.

Darkfall doesn't need $50+ million to release. No indie game does. The cost of living / hiring developers / running a company  in a country such as Greece is nothing compared to the U.S. The cost of marketing of the game are almost nil. They aren't aiming at millions of subs either. If CCP or Mythic could make successful MMOs for $2-3 millions, why Aventurine, with supposedly much more money can't do it?

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

vapourware

• ghostinfinitghostinfinit Member UncommonPosts: 552

/signed

• originaleggoriginalegg Member Posts: 1,099

Posting in this thread so I have a reference of all the people to laugh at and in the future not take their posts seriously.

Asking for this game to be removed from the website is just ridiculous.  If it turns out to be a hoax designed to....yea i dont know what it could be...then you are all welcome to berate me to your hearts extent.

MMORPG.COM rep has already stated that it meets the requirements of this website, so do people just fail at reading or have some hidden agenda for wanting to see this game fail?

oh and so i dont have to come back to this thread for awhile...ill go ahead and respond to myself with the standard hater response....

"um we dont want to see the game fail, because that would imply there is a game at all VAPOURWAREZ LOLOL"

cool?  cool

• sylverCodesylverCode Member Posts: 25

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. took to develop 7 years as well.

/unsigned, thrash the OP.

• FodfodFodfod Member Posts: 53

I agree

• StanfordStanford Member Posts: 218

Originally posted by Stradden

Hey Guys,

We're not going to be removing the game from the site. This is still a game in development according to the company involved. Their game meets our criteria for listing, and from where I sit there is no reason to take it down. We will not take it down until a) the developers tell us that they have stopped production on the game or b) they fail to meet our criteria for listing.

/FTW

• IIRLIIRL Member Posts: 876

Beta will launch Mid-August.

Any other questions can be directed directly towards yourself.

I CREATED MYSELF!
    <3 "<Claus|Dev> i r pk"

SW:TOR|War40K:DMO|GW2

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050

Originally posted by IIRL

Beta will launch Mid-August.
    Any other questions can be directed directly towards yourself.

I am surprised mmorgp.com hasn't removed this game already. It incites flaming and is not real. Will never be released and everyone except maybe 10 fanboys no this to be a fact!

So mmorgp.com - go ahead and remove the game from the forum, please!

• trallatralla Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by sinjin

I agree 100% whole heartedly with the OP. They should remove this game from the site, it is nothing more than false promises and vaporware.

But you just gave us a false statement ?

Wow, people are really thinking on these forum =)

• StanfordStanford Member Posts: 218

Originally posted by Stanford

Originally posted by Stradden

Hey Guys,

We're not going to be removing the game from the site. This is still a game in development according to the company involved. Their game meets our criteria for listing, and from where I sit there is no reason to take it down. We will not take it down until a) the developers tell us that they have stopped production on the game or b) they fail to meet our criteria for listing.

/FTW

They not going to remove it  >.<

its very amusing to watch futile efforts of trolling their sorry....off  ..lol

• erawropaverawropav Member Posts: 32

/ signed to remove the vaporware

This discussion has been closed.