Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Petition to remove Darkfall from MMORPG.COM

Comments

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

I think there is a good chance that DF won't deliver. Having said that I pray they manage to get  something out that makes a reasonable success. The main reason (apart from wanting a game to play) is that other developers will see that you can make a go of it without following the completely stale EQ -> Wow grindalicious boring repeative recipee. This genre is stagnant and stinky. If games like DF and Spellborn make a reasonable dent in the market perhaps developers will be prepared to take a few risks and lord forbid actually inovate. (AoC which I do hope is fun, looks about as inovative as my arse, AO was far more so)

• botagarbotagar Member Posts: 15

ok... I'll try this again:

Keep in mind the information i post is only what i deduce from reading primary sources! I may be quoted if you want but if somewhere my info is proved incorrect, cease to use it!

1) the current version of DarkFall has only been in development for about 4-5 years

(if some bigger company came and took over funcom and decided to keep the concepts and throw out any work done on it, would you count dev time from the very beginning or from the take over?)

Agreed, 5 years.

Agreed!

2) the beta that almost happened was just before the take over (i think). It may be why beta never went ahead.

Almost happened?!  Please!  If this was before they wiped out everything, than that clearly means they weren't even close to a beta in the first place.

They had a stable build but I THINK the prospect of being taken over held them back and was probably a good thing. Would you like to play a beta, only to find out that a week later a company has taken over and dropped the current engine and art? DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THIS!

3) lag will probably only be determined by your computer and internet speed. DF is going to be using Server Cluster Technology. Aventurine have admitted themselves that this is unproven technology, and if it works, it would revolutionise server setups.

1)  Didn't Darkfall say they could run on almost any computer?  I think so!  So lag should not be an issue

2)What if it doesn't work?  So after 5 (and soon to be more) years of development, they are going to take a huge risk on the server set-up?  That's a good idea....

Lag should only really be felt with high ping and on old laptops.

As for server clusters, i realised that what i posted was incorrect. Back then when they stated they were going to use server clusters, it was unproven technology. Nowadays however company's are trying out different ways to incorperate server clusters. I'm not sure if server clusters have been used for games yet, but as Aventurine stated, if it works, the rewards will be great!

4) the reason for not much game content filtering out to the public because DF (as stated before many times) does NOT have a PR guy/team. A small group of programmers probably have enough on their hands creating a revolutionising mmo than to worry about feeding the public.

It's not that hard to get a little video ready and go to a gaming convention.  I mean really, they just keep showing that they don't care about the success of their game. 

If Darkfall is such a "revolutionizing MMO" than why don't they care to show this game to many others?  It doesn't matter if they have a PR department.  Just take it to a big convention, and if this game is all it's cracked up to be, people will be interested and will follow/support the game, and possibly purchase it in the future.

^.^; ...

RazorWax have been to a gaming convention before, and found it a waste of time. Also, with a forum base of over 50,000 accounts, it seems word of mouth will suite them quite fine for now.

and also back onto gaming conventions, they are a small company creating a collosus of a game, they don't have the time to take out a week to showcase a possibly glitched or unstable version. (not that im saying the current version of DF is unstable. Aventurine have actually stated that they have a stable build, and are just checking the terrain for defaults as well as testing the servers and AI.)

5) there is enought proof that DF office exists, weather you AoC fanbios bent on converting DF fans will aknowledge it or not.

But what there is not proof of is how far it is in development.  Words are just words.

I brought this up just to prove that Aventurine exists. Also, a company who has built a good reputation doing military simulations would not just decided to pull a 7 year prank. Also I have seen people accuse DF of being a case study whilst being a scam... well, i must say, how is it a scam? Aventurine are self funding and i don't see any 'Donate' button on the DF main page.

6) DF devs want exploring the game to be fun. by releasing a whole heap of info before launch, they would take away the fun of exploring since you already know that some place does this and that place holds this etc...

I didn't know a video and a useful development journal every now and then is known as releasing a whole heap of information.......

They can release combat videos, they can show the terrain, however Aventurine are refraining to give us SPECIFICS, the things they want us players to figure out for ourselves. A new 'feature' video has been promised by the devs, let hope we'll see it soon.

7) Throw more questions at me... if you can. (sensible ones...)

Ok.

Why won't Darkfall finally show how great this "revolutionizing MMO" really is, instead of giving minimal information ever few weeks, with hardly any videos? 

Why won't they even attempt to try to get Darkfall's  name out there to the public?

As stated before by me, they don't have to. the DF community spreads info by word of mouth. However, the main page has been going under some nip tucks recently, with race pages being updated. It could be a precursor for things to come. But for the moment, it seems they are content.

Gishgeron , I'll do yours a bit later. probably tomorrow.

if you are unhappy (not in the sense of hatred towards DF) with any of my answers, ask with more detail again.

• MazumaMazuma Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by botagar
    RazorWax have been to a gaming convention before, and found it a waste of time.

Gee I wonder why?

Ya well when you show up to a gaming convention and forget to bring along your game to show anyone then it's probably going to end up being a waste of time.

Personally I find your entire post to be a big waste of time filled with the same delusional blind faith fanboi nonsense I could read from people like Aragon.

Also, with a forum base of over 50,000 accounts, it seems word of mouth will suite them quite fine for now.

Too bad it took them all of 7 years to get 50,000 people registered there. Maybe in another 10 years they'll have another 50,000?

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

They should just re-name it Horizons 2 and be done with it.

I hope they do get a new engine because if that is the best art it can support , it needs to ship with a time machine to take you back to 1999.

But there are games that maintain they are in development with even less updates than the Darkfall folks.  Bioware's and  Hero's Journey to name a couple.

• MazumaMazuma Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by grimfall
    But there are games that maintain they are in development with even less updates than the Darkfall folks.  Bioware's and  Hero's Journey to name a couple.

But they also have about 100 x more credibility.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

Originally posted by grimfall

They should just re-name it Horizons 2 and be done with it.
    I hope they do get a new engine because if that is the best art it can support , it needs to ship with a time machine to take you back to 1999.

You know, technically Bioware hasn't really come forward about their MMO yet.  There is nothing to update, in that regard.  In fact, most everything we speak of when we talk about Bioware at this point is pure speculation.  I don't compare that to Darkfall, whom constantly preach to us about how great things are and how complete it is.

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

Originally posted by Kairarr

I read this forum every day and i can tell you it is useless. Some people are bashing the game, some are defending it with broken promises made by the devs. The info is horrible, it is the same promises than 3 years ago. The removal would not  be permanent, but until Darkfall is actually serious about developping the game and not just shitting on their fans like they do right now.
    As for me, i believe Darkfall is just a hoax to study human addiction behaviors or some scam to steal money from their investors.
    Darkfall brings a lot of shame to mmorpg.com and i think it is time they remove the forum for the greater good.
    Sign here :

I'd be for removing it, at least until some significant development screenshots or interviews come out.  I think folks have been waiting for this game since around 2000; that's a long time.

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

Darkfall should be removed!  It makes MMORPG.com look like it promotes vaborware.  DF would be the best game if someone actually could bring all those concepts to real life.  However, this game doesn't exist.  Get over it and start looking at the ones that actually have people working for them.

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

1) the current version of DarkFall has only been in development for about 4-5 years

(if some bigger company came and took over funcom and decided to keep the concepts and throw out any work done on it, would you count dev time from the very beginning or from the take over?)

Agreed, 5 years.

Agreed!

Agreed!

2) the beta that almost happened was just before the take over (i think). It may be why beta never went ahead.

Almost happened?!  Please!  If this was before they wiped out everything, than that clearly means they weren't even close to a beta in the first place.

They had a stable build but I THINK the prospect of being taken over held them back and was probably a good thing. Would you like to play a beta, only to find out that a week later a company has taken over and dropped the current engine and art? DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THIS!

--Not quoting on this---

3) lag will probably only be determined by your computer and internet speed. DF is going to be using Server Cluster Technology. Aventurine have admitted themselves that this is unproven technology, and if it works, it would revolutionise server setups.

1)  Didn't Darkfall say they could run on almost any computer?  I think so!  So lag should not be an issue

2)What if it doesn't work?  So after 5 (and soon to be more) years of development, they are going to take a huge risk on the server set-up?  That's a good idea....

Lag should only really be felt with high ping and on old laptops.

As atziluth has stated many times: when there is a battle of 100v100 and to expect no lag on almost any computer, that is highly doubtful.

As for server clusters, i realised that what i posted was incorrect. Back then when they stated they were going to use server clusters, it was unproven technology. Nowadays however company's are trying out different ways to incorperate server clusters. I'm not sure if server clusters have been used for games yet, but as Aventurine stated, if it works, the rewards will be great!

okie dokie

4) the reason for not much game content filtering out to the public because DF (as stated before many times) does NOT have a PR guy/team. A small group of programmers probably have enough on their hands creating a revolutionising mmo than to worry about feeding the public.

It's not that hard to get a little video ready and go to a gaming convention.  I mean really, they just keep showing that they don't care about the success of their game. 

If Darkfall is such a "revolutionizing MMO" than why don't they care to show this game to many others?  It doesn't matter if they have a PR department.  Just take it to a big convention, and if this game is all it's cracked up to be, people will be interested and will follow/support the game, and possibly purchase it in the future.

^.^; ...

RazorWax have been to a gaming convention before, and found it a waste of time. Also, with a forum base of over 50,000 accounts, it seems word of mouth will suite them quite fine for now.

and also back onto gaming conventions, they are a small company creating a collosus of a game, they don't have the time to take out a week to showcase a possibly glitched or unstable version. (not that im saying the current version of DF is unstable. Aventurine have actually stated that they have a stable build, and are just checking the terrain for defaults as well as testing the servers and AI.)

They have been to ONE gaming convention.

50k people over 7 years?  That's not really a large amount for such a "revolutionising MMO" such as Darkfall.

5) there is enought proof that DF office exists, weather you AoC fanbios bent on converting DF fans will aknowledge it or not.

But what there is not proof of is how far it is in development.  Words are just words.

I brought this up just to prove that Aventurine exists. Also, a company who has built a good reputation doing military simulations would not just decided to pull a 7 year prank. Also I have seen people accuse DF of being a case study whilst being a scam... well, i must say, how is it a scam? Aventurine are self funding and i don't see any 'Donate' button on the DF main page.

People know they exist.  This whole arguement is mainly about how far they are in development.  And, after seven years, no one can really trust them.

As for donating, people have donated money.  Some idiot donated 100$ to Darkfall and made a thread baout it here...

6) DF devs want exploring the game to be fun. by releasing a whole heap of info before launch, they would take away the fun of exploring since you already know that some place does this and that place holds this etc...

I didn't know a video and a useful development journal every now and then is known as releasing a whole heap of information.......

They can release combat videos, they can show the terrain, however Aventurine are refraining to give us SPECIFICS, the things they want us players to figure out for ourselves. A new 'feature' video has been promised by the devs, let hope we'll see it soon.

How do you know they can release videos with this stuff and all the great attributes this game to has?  You can't, and it is just foolish not to give out some decent information over 5 years.

We shall wait for this feature video..

7) Throw more questions at me... if you can. (sensible ones...)

Ok.

Why won't Darkfall finally show how great this "revolutionizing MMO" really is, instead of giving minimal information ever few weeks, with hardly any videos? 

Why won't they even attempt to try to get Darkfall's  name out there to the public?

As stated before by me, they don't have to. the DF community spreads info by word of mouth. However, the main page has been going under some nip tucks recently, with race pages being updated. It could be a precursor for things to come. But for the moment, it seems they are content.

They can just keep telling themselves they don't have to...it is just foolish marketing.   No one would see a problem from taking off 1-2weeks to go to a gaming convention and actually show this "revolutionising MMO" they keep talking about.  They are gaining absolutely nothing from letting the game be advertised through the word of mouth, and are losin a lot by not going to these conventions.

...this is a colorful thread

• ZtyXZtyX Member UncommonPosts: 368

This is just such a POINTLESS THREAD!!!

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686

Originally posted by Gazenthia

Originally posted by Aragon100

LOL. Beta 2003 have NOTHING to do with the game developed now. Why dont you read up on the game before posting stupidity like this?

If you want a discussion on the matter of Aventurine history and beta here and beta there be my guest, but you Sir dont have a clue. Another nosayer that failed.=)

First things first, your post was unnecessarily nasty and hostile. Absolutely no need for the tone of your post, and clearly you do not want a discussion about the game. Its clear you skimmed my post, saw red, and just went all ARHUAHAHGGGGGGHHHH because the response does not fit as a reply to what I said.

So you had no response to me then that Darkfall of today been under development for 5 years summer 2008?=) Guess you had nothing to back youre own false statements with. I can back it though so please be my guest and back youre lies if you can.=)

btw, where is the topic starter? Kairarr ?
    so he/she just starts a topic and leaves, not giving any further input to justify any questions raised.
    Please be so brave enough and post this on the official DF forums. This is a cowardly attack on DF. The topic starter, most probably a AoC fanboi, posts an attack on a forum where not very many DF supporters lurk, and where a whole heap of DF crittics lurk, and tries to claim victory by rallying support.

I'm quite new to here but i suggest if there are any mods bothering to read this, BAN some of the AoC fanbois from the DarkFall forums here (if possible)! That would settle things, and you will know if someone a biggoted idiot if they create alts just to diss DF.

im not finished here though.

Kairarr have been dumping same BS on the Darkfall main board and is now banned from it. He is just a no-sayer/troll of worst kind and its odd these kind of threads are allowed to continue on MMORPG.com. If Darkfall is a game that fits to be here why allow threads like this to carry on?

Originally posted by Mazuma

Gee I wonder why?

Ya well when you show up to a gaming convention and forget to bring along your game to show anyone then it's probably going to end up being a waste of time.

Personally I find your entire post to be a big waste of time filled with the same delusional blind faith fanboi nonsense I could read from people like Aragon.

Also, with a forum base of over 50,000 accounts, it seems word of mouth will suite them quite fine for now.

Too bad it took them all of 7 years to get 50,000 people registered there. Maybe in another 10 years they'll have another 50,000?

well... it seems trying to remain objective is impossible on these forums due to immature AoC fanbois. I would reply to your questions/statements but your attitude stinks so i wont bother.

btw, i have not seen a SINGLE attack AoC from DF, and believe me we do have amunition...

stupid AoC kiddies...

• KairarrKairarr Member Posts: 114

Sure im an a AoC fanboy because i believe this game is a hoax.

Well its better to wait for a game that might be as good as Darkfall then play a game like Age of Conan we already know is shit.=)

• URMAKERURMAKER Member UncommonPosts: 671

/signed.

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Originally posted by Mazuma

Gee I wonder why?

well... it seems trying to remain objective is impossible on these forums due to immature AoC fanbois. I would reply to your questions/statements but your attitude stinks so i wont bother.

btw, i have not seen a SINGLE attack AoC from DF, and believe me we do have amunition...

stupid AoC kiddies...

You say he is immature, yet when he brings up points you can't (or are just too scared) to adress, you make attacks on him saying he is an AoC fanboy.  HA, and he's immature? Your attitude is no better.

• GazenthiaGazenthia Member Posts: 1,186

So you had no response to me then that Darkfall of today been under development for 5 years summer 2008?=) Guess you had nothing to back youre own false statements with. I can back it though so please be my guest and back youre lies if you can.=)

I find your posts to be pretty nauseating and it's hard for me to read them, to make any sense out of the mess of smilies and poorly constructed accusations. Posts like yours remind me of how parents just don't seem to do their jobs anymore. Sorry, but it had to be said.

Back to Darkfall, whether it is five years or eight, it is not likely to succeed due to that age. I already brought up the fact that there are few games that spend that amount of time in development to still be published, much less succeed. The engine is too old, and there is now a new OS.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/12/13/

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Well its better to wait for a game that might be as good as Darkfall then play a game like Age of Conan we already know is shit.=)

And we know that how?

• HousamHousam Member Posts: 1,460

Originally posted by Zorvan
    Originally posted by Kairarr Sure im an a AoC fanboy because i believe this game is a hoax.

And we know that how?

troll...

I find your posts to be pretty nauseating and it's hard for me to read them, to make any sense out of the mess of smilies and poorly constructed accusations. Posts like yours remind me of how parents just don't seem to do their jobs anymore. Sorry, but it had to be said.

Back to Darkfall, whether it is five years or eight, it is not likely to succeed due to that age. I already brought up the fact that there are few games that spend that amount of time in development to still be published, much less succeed. The engine is too old, and there is now a new OS.

So youre starting to get unsecure now about the length of developing Darkfall been in? Thats a progress. You were wrong and it would have been even better if you just admitted it but i guess i have to settle for unsecure at the moment. =)

5 year of a game of Darkfalls caliber isnt long at all and understand that the company developing Darkfall isnt same size as Blizzard, theyre way smaller. Most MMORPG:s have long development times so why shouldnt Darkfall have that? Youre just not making any sense.

Graphics of Darkfall is better then AoC if youd ask me, i love the gothic, dark and realistic style of Darkfall graphics. Its less polygons then for example AoC but they sure put the ones they have in the right spots. And lastly, remember this, gameplay always owns graphics.

• GazenthiaGazenthia Member Posts: 1,186

So youre starting to get unsecure now about the length of developing Darkfall been in? Thats a progress. You were wrong and it would have been even better if you just admitted it but i guess i have to settle for unsecure at the moment. =)

Actually, I was absolutely correct.

Darkfall was supposed to go into beta around 2003. Darkfall has been in development since the original developers started on it, which according to people here, was in 2000. Period. Passing the torch does not constitute an entirely new game- obviously.

As I said earlier it doesn't really matter at this point whether you want to argue if it was five or eight years, for all that it matters now it could be a thousand years.

5 year of a game of Darkfalls caliber isnt long at all and understand that the company developing Darkfall isnt same size as Blizzard, theyre way smaller.

Eight years of development, especially for a game like Darkfall which is now based on archaic notions and technology, is excessive. The size of the company is nothing more than an excuse, it is irrelevant.

Most MMORPG:s have long development times so why shouldnt Darkfall have that? Youre just not making any sense.

People are rightly discontent with three year development cycles for next-gen games. Darkfall has had, truthfully, eight years.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/12/13/

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

Originally posted by Xris375

Originally posted by Theodgrim

Originally posted by Xris375

Originally posted by 3on1

lol @ the ppl who can only say "go to AoC forum troll"
    maybe just prove all the "AoC fanboys" that darkfall isnt vaporware
    ow wait,, u cant
    um you prove that DF is vaporware

ow wait,,u cant

Only those claiming they have something tangible are required to prove it. 

Lets take another example.  You tell me you have an invisible airplane.  I dont have to prove the invisible airplane doesnt exist - you are the one that has to convince me it does.  If you cant, or wont, it is reasonable to claim BS. 

LOL says who ? Is that like a law of nature ?

Actually, yeah.  A person cannot prove something does not exist...think about what you just said for a moment.  Proof in any form requires something tangible.  If I claim something does not exist...it stands to reason it has nothing tangible as well. 

On the other hand, I could show you an empty box and suggest THIS is proof there is no darkfall.  You see, there is no Darkfall in my box...therefore, unless you have darkfall in yours, I have solid "proof" (by your own standard) that it does not exist.  Of course, this whole mess brings us round, full circle, to the point at hand.  It is left to the people who HAVE something tangible to prove it exists, not the ones who suggest it doesn't by lack of something tangible.

I'm not sure how you could have missed this logic...but I understand your need to defend the game.  I'd just like you to do so with, I dunno, a better stance.  Several posters have done so already, by simply suggesting they have nothing to lose and like the ideals and want to support them.  Now, they have yet to counter the position that in doing so...the are enabling this company to be in a position to steal from its investors by not demanding more, and thus, more quickly providing proof to the investors of wrong doing.

But thats not a debate I'm in the mood for tonight.  I simply wanted to bring the matter to full focus, and try and get you off the silly notion that its possible to prove something isn't real.  Proof is only ever required on the end of those in possession of tangibility.

Actually, I was absolutely correct.

Darkfall was supposed to go into beta around 2003. Darkfall has been in development since the original developers started on it, which according to people here, was in 2000. Period. Passing the torch does not constitute an entirely new game- obviously.

As I said earlier it doesn't really matter at this point whether you want to argue if it was five or eight years, for all that it matters now it could be a thousand years.

5 year of a game of Darkfalls caliber isnt long at all and understand that the company developing Darkfall isnt same size as Blizzard, theyre way smaller.

Eight years of development, especially for a game like Darkfall which is now based on archaic notions and technology, is excessive. The size of the company is nothing more than an excuse, it is irrelevant.

Most MMORPG:s have long development times so why shouldnt Darkfall have that? Youre just not making any sense.

People are rightly discontent with three year development cycles for next-gen games. Darkfall has had, truthfully, eight years.

you sir, are a biggotted idiot!

RazorWax did not 'pass' the torch, well, they did, but Aventurine extinguised the torch, destroyed it and built a new one of RazorWax's plans (concept). Putting it in your analogy.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Housam

Originally posted by Zorvan

And we know that how?

troll...

Is that the best you've got? Next time, answer the question or keep your hands off the keyboard. Insults don't disguise ignorance.

This discussion has been closed.