Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SomethingAwful review of Dark and Light

ZorbaneZorbane Member UncommonPosts: 529

Looking for some way to procrastinate not going to bed and so that I can be groggy at work tomorrow I found this gem

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/mmo-roulette/darkandlight.php?page=1

Comments

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Zorbane

Looking for some way to procrastinate not going to bed and so that I can be groggy at work tomorrow I found this gem
    http://www.somethingawful.com/d/mmo-roulette/darkandlight.php?page=1

Man, that is priceless. Especially page 4, where he says the same things the rest of us have said.

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Haha, nice find.

• sorezsorez Member Posts: 39

While alot of it is vastly inaccurate ($200 lifetime member?) it was very funny to read

• eosyneeosyne Member UncommonPosts: 392

lol, that is funny stuff. i'm glad i have long forgotten this game

• TallynTallyn Member UncommonPosts: 217

Haha!

I still casually play DnL and I found this review to be quite harsh and incredibly hilarious.

Loved the sarcastic humor and the fan art section had me almost crying from laughter.

Thanks for the read OP.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Sadly those guys they said paid $200 for a lifetime are all from mmorpg.com forum

• CholaynaCholayna Member Posts: 1,604
    Originally posted by hercules

Sadly those guys they said paid $200 for a lifetime are all from mmorpg.com forum

meh, the guys that paid $600+ and STILL keep getting "you owe us money" from Farlan are from very own DNL boards. 

• BlazeardBlazeard Member Posts: 31

Lol, funny guy.  Who drew that warrior stick figure guy?!!!!   hahaha

____________ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
    ------------ Blazeard----------
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ / \____________

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

• agh50agh50 Member Posts: 124

Well, to be honest, I too received the dreaded  "You owe us money."  e-mail (about 3 months after I had cancelled my account--a(round December or January if memory serves)

However, I was never *actually* charged that amount.  I know some say they were, and I certainly won't question them as that accusation came from numerous people.  Deliberate or incompetent, it really is a fine line of difference.

All I know is that there seem to be several issues discussed here (and all grouped into one topic):

Is the game worth playing?

My answer is that  it has gotten better, (since release), maybe even significantly better, but it still is buggy unstable, and not up to industry standards for preformance.  Additionally, it has a lack of content after you leave the newbie areas.]

Is the company dishonest?

The preponderence of the evidence is that they tried to 'stonewall' (at the very least), and *may* have deliberately misrepresented the true state of the game to their players]

Did Farlan steal VWorld technology?

I am still undecided, but Pix presents a very convincing argument that they did, and I honestly tend to come down on his side, (though not at all as strongly as some here do)

Dark and Light, (as a game), is what it is:  Free to play, huge, not at all unplayable, (If you can get past the technical issues--25% can't), limited in content, and totally devoid of the player base needed for such a huge world.

Is the game total crap?

Not at all, but it is certainly not a front line MMO, and in it's present state it is not anything anyone should consider paying to play.

Will DnL continue as a game?

My opinion is that it will not.  The long term prospects are not good.

• GrumpybearGrumpybear Member Posts: 47

I trying running the game a week or so ago.  Found that on my totally brand new PC, the game couldn't go 2 minutes without crashing.  Same as the day I gave up on this game.

I don't feel sorry for one bit for those who bought preorder accounts sold over ebay.  HAHA - suckers!

• CholaynaCholayna Member Posts: 1,604

Aye, the ebay preorders were indeed a sucker ploy.

However, the MAIN pre-orders were direct from Farlan. THOUSANDS were ripped off -- THOUSANDS were refunded and THOUSANDS just simply walked away and allowed Farlan to keep their money. Farlan did NOT refund them. Farlan DID attempt to continue billing people too. (and again, placing blame on the payment processing company instead when in fact, the instructions were direct from Farlan. The payment processing company decided that they would not allow the sling on their own butt and did the right thing - the legal thing - and refunded against Farlans wishes in thousands of cases. (This is direct from several Click and Buy employees. So you see? Farlan even attempted to destroy the reputation of a world-wide payment processing company to boot!)

Farlan doesnt give a crap about anybody or anything. Fans, employees, players, other companies, nothing. Nada. Nil. Zilch. All for one and only one, themselves.

Deeds coming home to roost upon their own shoulders.

• dbaum23dbaum23 Member Posts: 2

I totally agree with the post above.  I was one of the many many who were scammed into a pioneer account by the next big thing...so I thought this rip off game would be.  Boy were we all wrong.  I also liked when they tried to bill my card 3 times when I didn't even have an account with the game anymore. 

• DevourDevour Member Posts: 902

I'd say something about the French being bastards, but...

Ah, well, you only live once.

What did you expect from those cheese eating surrender monkey bastards?