Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exactly what I feared: Item malls next?

Comments

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096

Yes, burn EA at the stake!  How dare they give stat items to newbies as a thank you for plopping down $80 to buy a game.   Yes, that uber noob ring you are so jealous about with 3 one hour charges on it... GAME BREAKING!  Just like DDO and their CE pre-order.  OMG, those rings we so damn uber, it was game breaking those +1 items that were tossed out by level THREE!   Damn, OP, you are right... down with EA!

good grief

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• Timberwolf0Timberwolf0 Member Posts: 424

Now First off, let me say that I've been cruising these forums for 11+ months, and I've defended WAR from it's naysayers as heartily as the next person. Still I never expected to see such a rabid defense of EA Mythic as I have seen in this thread. Seriously folks, you can have your own opinion without bowing down to the god of EA. I brought up an issue that legitimately causes me concern, and from a few of the posters I can see I'm not alone. It's not the "fluff" as some have referred to it that worries, but more how this is indicative of a shift in the industry more and more towards the item mall philosophy. When DAoC debuted there was no such bonuses for those with larger wallets. Now more and more I see this philosophy creeping into mainstream NA MMO's. It's a slippery slope. Some of the people who have posted in favor of the CE mentioned they were buying the CE. Now of course these people are going to vehemently deny that this is a significant issue, they obviously have the extra income to offer up to their EA god for advantages which as you can see they want to jealously protect. I'm speaking for those of us who prefer as much of a level playing ground as is possible today with an MMO. Send a message to EA Mythic that this sort of pandering is not acceptable! Don't buy the CE!

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096

There is nothing wrong with them adding value added service to the CE.  Ever pay for the leather upgrade on a car instead of fabric seats?  Same difference.   There is nothing "wrong" with them wanting to make a extra buck out of their game when there is no competitive advantage to a CE player at end game.  Now, if the CE had a +5% permanent damage modifer or the such, then you would have room to complain and I'd be there with you.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

Developers should never offer ingame items or advantages as part of an incentive for preordering or buying collectors editions. They should only use external item incentives such as maps-posters-figurines-books etc. Developers that sell ingame items and advantages as part of a preorder or collectors edition are equal to the gold farmers and item shop games, they are corrupting the game.

It's paramount that MMOGs offer a fair and level playing field to all players regardless of when they start the game and how much they pay the developer. All ingame items should be earned thru ingame effort only. The only things that should separate a player's access to items and content is time invested and smart gameplay.

The people who defend this practice of enticing preorder and collectors edition sales by including ingame items and advantages suggest those rewards are not really advantageous and therefore not something to complain about. I always find this position amusing. So which is it? Are the rewards really advantageous, even just a little bit for a short period of time, thus destroying the basic tenet of a fair level playing field or are they truly not advantageous in the slightest degree and thus a ripoff of the people who pay extra for the collectors edition or early for a preorder? HMMM??

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

Yeah I'm getting the CE, mini zergling ftw.

O_o o_O

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

OP:

Oh knock it off with the bi**ing already will ya.

Either get it or not if ur too cheap/poor :P There is little to no reason to bi*** about it

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• TarvoldTarvold Member Posts: 24

Personally I pre-ordered the CE for the books, artwork, and the miniature. The in-game stuff is just a bonus. I paint miniatures so any excuse not to drop 20-50 bucks on a figure is fine by me. Plus the art book is just amazing.

Originally posted by Tarvold

Personally I pre-ordered the CE for the books, artwork, and the miniature. The in-game stuff is just a bonus.

Exactly!

$OE lies list
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• Katashi-kunKatashi-kun Member Posts: 517

So OP, your one of those complainers that doesn't let others enjoy their games.  Did u even understand anything about the extras.  There is no advantage but maybe 1 lvl faster.  Extra heads and titles are not an advantage but rather a perk!

Kemih ~ 13 Red Mage | Currently playing FFXI & LOTRO, awaiting Warhammer Online & Aion...

• KrayzjoelKrayzjoel Member Posts: 906

There are no items in the  CE version that would seriously unbalance the game. Most of the items are statless trophy quests that are race specific, a 3 charge ring that will enhance xp for 1 hr per charge (which i will use to get from 49 to 50). I believe also that there is an item to help you regenerate health out of combat too.

Look folks there is no +1000 sword of ultimate ganking in there! LOL!!!!

Im buying it for the graphic novel and art book in there also.

Played : WOW, LOTRO, COH/COV, EQ2, SWG, and WAR.
    Playing EVE Online and AOC.
    Wtg for SW:TOR and WOD

• Katashi-kunKatashi-kun Member Posts: 517

Personally I pre-ordered the CE because I like having specific names for my chars, some of which are fairly popular.  The early-start access helps me claim them.  The art books and stuff, yeah I'll look at em once when I get the game, and prolly not anytime soon after unless a friend visits and wants to see em.

Most of the other in-game items are short-lived.

Kemih ~ 13 Red Mage | Currently playing FFXI & LOTRO, awaiting Warhammer Online & Aion...

• elvenangelelvenangel Member Posts: 2,205

First off I would never ... Defend EA ever...I personally Hate EA from a Programmer's perspective for their past treatment of its employees. Do I boycott them and boo hoo everything they make? NO because it is not the development houses or their employee's fault that EA has given themselves such a shit wrap.  Do I trust EA completely? Hell No, but I do trust they'll keep their contractual agreements with Mythic and if they step a toe out of ACTUAL line..then the red flags should and will go up. 

Second...CE's that are purely out of game fluff are not worth 80 bucks unless your a complete fanatic about the IP from a non video gamer's perspective.   This benefits purely IP people and NOT all Game Fans.   The idea we get to quest for these trophies and titles instead of being handed to us is a big plus for me.  It means i get something to stand out in the crowd just a little bit and I dont have any sort of advantage over anyone in PvP or even really PvE. 

Third  The ring with the proc and XP bonus are for PVE Only.   If you use them in PvP ... lets just say .. they break. 

Fourth people complaining over CE packages having in game items that give no specific advantage to anyone ... are just pissed off that their mom's won't pay for it or they're pissed off college students who spend their last 80 bucks on some ramen and school books.  Yes I said it...This thread is a retarded complaint.   Either you want it and pre ordered it or you didn't, but to complain over it is just a show of complete immaturity (god I hate that word).  

Fifth - Item Malls suck.....they're not even F2P you end up spending more than 15 dollars a month..anyone who thinks otherwise is obviously not playing an item mall game correctly (rofl).

btw Warhammer Online the CE is...the 1 selling PC game on Gamestop...Amazon Germany sold out of their allotment.   The people are speaking..the CE .. is awsome...hehe

Please Refer to Doom Cat with all conspiracies & evil corporation complaints. He'll give you the simple explination of..WE"RE ALL DOOMED!

• TonevTonev Member Posts: 462

I have to agree with you. While I haven't had any problems with EA or Mythic I have seen Games workshop do some shady ass stuff in the past with fans and businesses alike (Warhammer is still great though).

I don't know what the Op's problem is either, every CE addition for every game I have played (including consoles) have had or added some ingame or rl perk to buying it "that's what the extra $31 dollars is for".

As Elven said it's almost 4 mos away, grab your stomach and hold off on the Ramen noodles or suck up to the parents a lil bit more.

• BurnthebedBurnthebed Member Posts: 443

Originally posted by Timberwolf0

Now First off, let me say that I've been cruising these forums for 11+ months, and I've defended WAR from it's naysayers as heartily as the next person. Still I never expected to see such a rabid defense of EA Mythic as I have seen in this thread. Seriously folks, you can have your own opinion without bowing down to the god of EA. I brought up an issue that legitimately causes me concern, and from a few of the posters I can see I'm not alone. It's not the "fluff" as some have referred to it that worries, but more how this is indicative of a shift in the industry more and more towards the item mall philosophy. When DAoC debuted there was no such bonuses for those with larger wallets. Now more and more I see this philosophy creeping into mainstream NA MMO's. It's a slippery slope. Some of the people who have posted in favor of the CE mentioned they were buying the CE. Now of course these people are going to vehemently deny that this is a significant issue, they obviously have the extra income to offer up to their EA god for advantages which as you can see they want to jealously protect. I'm speaking for those of us who prefer as much of a level playing ground as is possible today with an MMO. Send a message to EA Mythic that this sort of pandering is not acceptable! Don't buy the CE!
    Wait what? I didn't read anything except for your last 3 words where you said "Buy the CE!" and I did just that!

Hows that for a message? A message to you, not EA, I will buy whatever I want and enjoy the bonuses of having a real life job where I make money that I can spend any way I want. If you don't want to spend your money the way i do don't, it's that simple. The CE is for people who want it, if you don't don't buy it.

The sleeper awakes...and rides his dirtbike to the mall.

• SunderSunder Member Posts: 334

Originally posted by URMAKER

this thread is stupid. wth is elvenangel to set this guy straight.

lol QFT!

• GrömGröm Member Posts: 303

Well I tried to read most of the posts... Much about everything have been said, I think.

Anyway I'm into WAR for the IP purely and if I ordered the CE it's because of it's content: the two books, the miniature and well it's a CE!

About in game content bonus and what else, not only the chance to get head started, beta key (I would prefer to be helping testing and that's it) and what else isn't really my thing...

Oh and like it was said previously the bonus items cannot be used in PvP/RvR - please Op read carefully and do aknowledge before posting threads, CEs are nothing new in the MMO world (or even just about any game or in everything actually!).

• toadkillertoadkiller Member Posts: 148

A company released a Collector Edition ,with additional bonuses for people who choose to pay more , and even include lots of extra goodies like hardback books , miniatures and more even for 30 bucks more total ?

Shocking

Next they'll come up with some devilish plan to produce a full expansion pack and charge for it , good god think of the children please......

• silverqsilverq Member Posts: 52

The XP bonus amounts to a grand total of 18 minutes worth of XP. That's nothing, especially when you take the head start into account. Hell, access to open beta will give you a bigger increase in leveling speed at release than this.

The items are usable in PvE only and will probably be replaced by level 10.

Anyone ever thought this thread is a joke? It's APRIL after all He might have gotten us all!

$OE lies list
    "

• GrömGröm Member Posts: 303
    Originally posted by DuraheLL

Anyone ever thought this thread is a joke? It's APRIL after all He might have gotten us all!

hehehe - totally forgot about this - thanks Dura!

Cheers!

• elvenangelelvenangel Member Posts: 2,205

According to the thread it was posted on the 31st thats a bit early for April Fools day....though if it is a joke *sigh* Le double sigh damn it lol means i've been Pwn'd lol

Please Refer to Doom Cat with all conspiracies & evil corporation complaints. He'll give you the simple explination of..WE"RE ALL DOOMED!

• LouiseKLouiseK Member Posts: 258

Sorry - think you are getting all worked up over nothing.

The extra XP is going to be active for what? 3 hours in total and then *poof*... and we have no idea what the mod is for, it could be 1% extra xp! It will only be good for low levels too, by level 40 the amount of xp you get extra would have reduced to nothing.

The items will be crap after 5 minutes of gameplay too...

As for the extra quests - it effects you in no way at all. They still have to put time in to gett he xp just like any other quest.

Also!!! I bought a copy of the CE for £39.99 - most PC games are that much on release...

And! I really can't see how anyone cannot afford to buy the game for an extra £15-£30 in some cases, when they intend on getting a subscription for that each month.

It is what - an extra hour or two of work for the difference.

• greshickgreshick Member Posts: 14

Hey i know this a bit off topic but felt necessary to point out. For you War fans out there the level cap is 40 (10 levels per tier) not 50 as some of the people mistakenly mentioned. What's embarrassing is that some people that have bought the CE do not even know this.

As for the OP, I got the PotBS pre-order with all the fluff and the sword I got was replaced in like 5 levels if I remember right. Same with War, its all just noob stuff for the game. So get off your high horse and learn to read and understand things before you go and start saying s*** like this.

First and Foremost Chaos Reigns!

• jgankumjgankum Member Posts: 153

Originally posted by forthelulz
    lol welcome to EA!

lol. Welcome to life. As if this was an EA specific thing. Hahahahaha.

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

PR work is like magic... everything is possible. Just imagine they started marketing this shit from the start, when they announced it, not at the last station of the hype train.