Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exactly what I feared: Item malls next?

So I just read on the herald about the collectors edition that mythic will be putting out. It will include some pretty cool stuff such as a miniature, original artwork; etc. Then I saw that they'll also be offering in game bonuses for purchasers of the collectors edition. People who get the collectors edition will get bonus XP for certain periods of time, bonus items that give them procs, and ~12 exclusive quests.

What the hell happened to my WAR? This is exactly the kind of crap I'd feared they'd pull. It's completely ridiculous to give players an unfair advantage over the others just because they're willing to plonk down an extra 40$ on the collectors edition. Players should be on a level playing field from day 1. This is just the first step down a path where at the end the elite RvR players won't be those with the most skill, but merely the largest wallets. I've seen this item system in many Asian MMO's, where they have persistant item malls where you can buy bonus items that others cannot for real dollars. I detest this system and I think WAR is just a step away from it. Show Mythic you don't want to deal with this crap in WAR! Do not buy the collectors edition!

Comments

• Ascension08Ascension08 Member Posts: 1,980

Because they had to push the release date back a bit, they know some people might not think about ordering it, they need a little extra incentive ya know? But yeah, I don't think it's fair. I can live with it though.

--------------------------------------
    A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

Order of the White Border.

• OrthedosOrthedos Member Posts: 1,771

To the OP: I think you have blown it way out of proportion.

Every game award its founders or pre-ordering customers.  Some games allow them early access, hence higher level than the rest when the servers open to all.  Some games offer better items, and that essentially means more xp during the early days when everyone is born naked.  A good sword during the first 10 days may mean a lot faster levelling.  Typically the bonus is very minor and only relevant during the early levels, where levelling is very easy anyway.  The bonus items or xp will fade away when everybody enters level 10s 20s, where the game becomes harder to level.

None of these will have permanent effects.  Eventually the 24/7, powergamers and those who know the levelling well thru CBs will hit level cap within a week or less.  The rest of us?  Crawling slowly to level 3.

But why does it matter?  The whole point is to enjoy the tour to level 50.  IF you find level 1 to 49 so painful as to accelerate your pace thru it, well, you are better off reading a book describing level 50.

• Rott23Rott23 Member UncommonPosts: 56

This isn't anything new, mmo's have had reward systems like this for a long time; it's not specific to EA either.  It isn't worth detesting the collectors edition over. In the long run, you don't really get a significant edge over people who do not purchase the collectors edition.

...and no, AAA mmo's will never implement item malls, so get that silly little idea out of your head :)

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

First off I think its a bad idea to have a CE add content to any MMO.

exclusive quests.. exclusive rewards.. exclusive character looks.

Those types of things should be included in the game everyone pays for.  Otherwise its extra "pay to have" content.

Adding "fluff" isn't a big deal.  It just seems a tad odd to have extra content.

I just don't know that you can take from that and mention "item mall" or "pay services".  Not to say EA might not try to go there.. I just think its a stretch to say atm.

Now EA does have many advanced "pay" services for UO.

They had a recruit a friend thing in Earth and Beyond.. where for every person you recruited (and paid for a month) you get in game credits and skill points.

So its not like EA hasn't done this type of thing.. I just haven't heard any mention of it in WAR.  I know they did a poll in DAoC about "pay services" but we never heard anything more about it.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

the thing that pisses me off is the quests.  they sound so fun and awesome but its collectors only.  stupid EA

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• GruntiesGrunties Member Posts: 859

We can't say what the exclusive quests reward you with. It could be equipment that is unique looking but not have anymore power than regular quest items. Or it could be for titles. Or trophies to display on your character. Point is, it could be entirely aesthetic.

The xp enhancer I understood has a very limited number of uses for it, and probably is no more effective than what 'rest xp' bonuses give.

The bonus item with procs I can't comment on, because I dont' know precisely how effective it would be, how it stacks with other abilities, how often it fires, and how soon it becomes obsolete, etc.

Like the OP, I hate item malls. I would quit in an instant if the game became an item mall. I would not ever play a game that adopted any kind of microtransaction model. There was a rumor that stargate was considering this, but it turned out to be fake. However when I first heard that, I was preparing to forget about that game.

That being said, a few minor bonuses for a collectors edition does not mean the game is becoming an item mall. I think this kind of post is making a mountain out of a mole hill. But I guess this wouldn't be internet forums if it didnt. It seems ridiculous to think a company actually deserves to be punished for putting in a few minor bonuses and a bunch of other non-impacting goodies. I personally won't even be buying the CE, but it still seems absurd what you want people to do.

PS. No game is a level playing field when you have kids without jobs able to play and advance faster than the rest of us.  If the CE was the factor that suddenly 'ruined the level playing field', than the mmorpg genre is in better condition than i thought.

Waiting for: A skill-based MMO with Freedom and Consequence.
    Woe to thee, the pierce-ed.

Do we need to placed so much attention on who gets the uber sword of crap.  And the uber sword from the CE is only an uber sword for level 1 to 5.

I agree with Antarious, exclusive content is somewhat uncomfortable an idea.  Exclusive looks, its hardly exclusive given the 50k CE players.

The whole purpose of gaming is fun.  If the game is fun, I could not care less if player XYZ pays to get an extra 20 levels.  I would rather play my way thru to get the levels and enjoy the process.  If I cannot find fun in the game, I could not care if I can get a free level 1000.  I will not log on anyway.  Assuming that something like paid services is implemented (like the extra perks SoE offers for their games, I forgot the name, well if you pay you got your alt listed on player.station and so on), if it does not affect the game fun factor, who cares.  If its an item mall, or something that kills the game fun, its not the end of the world.  Its just the end of the game on my PC --> cancel button.

• Shifty360Shifty360 Member Posts: 629

The item that increases XP gain only has 3 uses and an hour duration to compliment.

The 12 heads are rather pointless and won't give anyone an advantage. (purely cosmetic)

(12 faces, 6 races, 2 sexes in some cases, 1 or 2 faces per combination at the most)

12 Quests that reward mediocre items that will most likely lose usefulness shortly after aquisition. As well as a title that only means, (I spent more money than you har har har).

(6 races, two quests per race)

Sorry I suppose I missed the "proc" item on the bonuses.

• Arkane_AArkane_A Member Posts: 365

If you think WAR is going to have an Item Mall you are kidding yourself. Age of Conan is giving things that are CE only, and they won't have an item mall. WoW gave away things that were CE and did not have an item mall. Vanguard gave away things in there that were CE only and there was no item mall. There won't be an item mall.

• wicked357wicked357 Member UncommonPosts: 172

To the OP: Don't you think you are going a little over board, comparing WAR to an Asian F2P game with items to purchase. WAR will not even be close to that. So, why would you even mention that. I get your issue with bonuses, but welcome to the MMO market. If you don't remember other games have had such bonuses in game, some had vet bonuses. Who cares about in game items from the pre-order I highly doubt those are the best items in the game.

• HazmalHazmal Member CommonPosts: 1,013

Talk about blowing little perks way out of proportion; if you all are whining this much before you even know the implications of these items/quests/skins etc.  I really hope you don't play this game, there is always enough complaining as it is.

------------------
    Originally posted by javac

well i'm 35 and have a PhD in science, and then 10 years experience in bioinformatics... you?
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/218865/page/8

• URMAKERURMAKER Member UncommonPosts: 671

this thread is stupid. wth is elvenangel to set this guy straight.

• calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300

Originally posted by Timberwolf0

So I just read on the herald about the collectors edition that mythic will be putting out. It will include some pretty cool stuff such as a miniature, original artwork; etc. Then I saw that they'll also be offering in game bonuses for purchasers of the collectors edition. People who get the collectors edition will get bonus XP for certain periods of time, bonus items that give them procs, and ~12 exclusive quests.
    What the hell happened to my WAR? This is exactly the kind of crap I'd feared they'd pull. It's completely ridiculous to give players an unfair advantage over the others just because they're willing to plonk down an extra 40$ on the collectors edition. Players should be on a level playing field from day 1. This is just the first step down a path where at the end the elite RvR players won't be those with the most skill, but merely the largest wallets. I've seen this item system in many Asian MMO's, where they have persistant item malls where you can buy bonus items that others cannot for real dollars. I detest this system and I think WAR is just a step away from it. Show Mythic you don't want to deal with this crap in WAR! Do not buy the collectors edition!

The bonus XP is rather small...here is a description of the libram of insights

Readers of the Librams of Insight are granted special insight into their own actions and earn experience at a higher rate for a limited time. (+10% XP modifier for 60 minutes, 3 uses, 90 minute reuse timer.)

With 3 uses only i don't really see this being a big deal. The extra faces are fluff, something fun for those who preorder but have no major impact, and the items/quests are probably low level and a minor advantage if any really...not to mention i read somewhere (can't remember where now) that the PvE quest items can only be used in PvE.

I preordered for a few reasons, one was open beta/early access and the second was the graphic novel/artwork book (I've been very intrigued by the lore behind the game so the book is a boon for me). I'm glad i preordered when i did...I think they are close to selling out. Honestly it's one of the better preorders i've seen

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by URMAKER

this thread is stupid. wth is elvenangel to set this guy straight.

Yea, The OP blew the CE bonuses way out of proportion.  In reality, the CE has many in the warhammer community excited.  Now if the plus 10% xp bonus was constant instead of only three 1 hour periods, then yes that would be an unfair advantage.  But thats not the case.  In game bonus items are very common is MMO preorders and collector edition packages.  I even got an ingame pet for tabula rasa just for pre-ordering the game a day before it came out.

• Threats99Threats99 Member Posts: 34

He can't be serious.

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540
    Originally posted by Timberwolf0

Man OP you live in a frikkin shell or what, every ce has bonuses and nifty little things that go with it, you pay more you get more, why would it be fair for someone who chunked down a bunch of change and didnt get anything for it that was considered a collectors edition. I dont even like warhammer from the input i have gotten from it, but yer post is rediculous, if you can name 1 game that didnt offer a little more on the ce that cost a little more ill shut up and stop thinking of you as some whiny wow kid. And  btw has anyone forgot that ea-games is the devil and even worse than soe when it comes to mmorpg's, at least sony keeps em running forever, frikking ea-games shuts em down aftwer 2 years on most of em unless they have a ceartain amount of players, they dont give a rats arse about the playerbase .

playing eq2 and two worlds

• elvenangelelvenangel Member Posts: 2,205

...lol...Um do I ride in that often? I guess I do..I get bored sometimes sue me!

Yes this Trophies are just so Uber leat...they're so awsome that when most of us are lvl 10 we'll be pwning all the lvl 1 Noobs with our just so awsome Statless Trophies.  Thats right all 12 Exclusive quests open up 12 Stat giving Titles and Stat giving trophies.....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

The items below and quest names are the 12 yes 12 exclusives that us CE people get.  Anyone who's paid attention to the game knows that Trophies & Titles give you NO benefit other than omg Toon Customization.   

Our super uber leetness XP ring?! Its good for 3 whole uses and since we all our lovely pre order items the day Head start begins (before launch day) those items will be used up and gone by the time the servers launch.  Not even the rings are that great.  Woo a shiny lil proc ring Ooh ..OHmy mother frigging god look what I got from a PQ A super awsome ring of Statness...proc ring? or Stat? 

These items are cool and yea we Get them ... but like the EQ2 J Boots...they're worthless after the first few levels.  The trophies and the Titles and the heads are all just for looks..and thats why they're so damn cool.  But they don't give us  any advantage.  If they did their stats would be listed and who's to say that you can't get this content you just have to Look a little harder for us than the rest of us. 

Don't want to play Warhammer then don't but when your going to complain atleast for the sake of all that is holy in this world...Use a real argument like your more into PvE Raids than RvR instead of reaching out and grasping straws and forming up complete total BS

Quest – The Only Way to Fight

Type – Dwarf / PvE

Reward – Furd's Bottomless Mug

Title – Brewmaster

Quest – Know thy enemy

Type – Dwarf / RvR

Reward – Gareksson's Brutebashin' Ring

Title – Brutecleaver

Quest – Ogre Wine

Type – Greenskin / PvE

Reward – Gutbuster's Best Gourd

Title – Piledigger

Quest – Stunties is fer Scrappin'

Type – Greenskin / RvR

Reward – Stunty Noggin

Title – da Scrapper

Quest – Enemies Abound

Type – Empire / PvE

Reward – Seal of the Faithful

Title – The Purifier

Quest – Out in the Open

Type – Empire / RvR

Reward – Crest of the Ravenslayer

Title – Ravenslayer

Quest – All Wrapped Up

Type – Chaos / PvE

Reward – The Unblinking Eye

Title – The Power-Hungry

Quest – Spoils of War

Type – Chaos / RvR

Reward – Griffonslayer's Mantle

Title – Griffonslayer

Quest – A Life in the Balance

Type – High Elf / PvE

Reward – Yenlui Orb

Title – The Balanced

Quest – Centuries in the Making

Type – High Elf / RvR

Reward – Cloak of Nagarythe

Title – Hopebringer

Quest – Sense of Style

Type – Dark Elf / PvE

Reward – Blackwing's Implements

Title – Painmaster

Quest – Sacred Undertaking

Type – Dark Elf / RvR

Reward – Habiliment of Khaine

Title – Bloodknight

Please Refer to Doom Cat with all conspiracies & evil corporation complaints. He'll give you the simple explination of..WE"RE ALL DOOMED!

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by boognish75

Man OP you live in a frikkin shell or what, every ce has bonuses and nifty little things that go with it, you pay more you get more, why would it be fair for someone who chunked down a bunch of change and didnt get anything for it that was considered a collectors edition. I dont even like warhammer from the input i have gotten from it, but yer post is rediculous, if you can name 1 game that didnt offer a little more on the ce that cost a little more ill shut up and stop thinking of you as some whiny wow kid. And  btw has anyone forgot that ea-games is the devil and even worse than soe when it comes to mmorpg's, at least sony keeps em running forever, frikking ea-games shuts em down aftwer 2 years on most of em unless they have a ceartain amount of players, they dont give a rats arse about the playerbase .
      yeah everyone knows  EA games... just shut down DAOC even though it doesnt nearly as many players as it used to when it took in Mythic

anyway as it was said before  the Items are nothing of extreme importance and do not give a real edge in PVE and have no use in PVP.

The items for PVE will not help enough to give a large edge over players, its not like you are paying for extra levels. They may help you early on  getting through levels 1-20 at the most (and a doubt that many). oh wow  those levels are SO tough. no items malls will happen

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540
    Originally posted by needalife214

Originally posted by boognish75

yeah everyone knows  EA games... just shut down DAOC even though it doesnt nearly as many players as it used to when it took in Mythic

anyway as it was said before  the Items are nothing of extreme importance and do not give a real edge in PVE and have no use in PVP.

The items for PVE will not help enough to give a large edge over players, its not like you are paying for extra levels. They may help you early on  getting through levels 1-20 at the most (and a doubt that many). oh wow  those levels are SO tough. no items malls will happen

Dont forget earth and beyond RIP and motor city RIP ultima x never made it to shelves as far as i know but woo frikkin who we got sims online still and now hammer of warcraft and the ever cheesy origonal ultima

playing eq2 and two worlds

• NymesisNymesis Member Posts: 9

Now i want the CE edition of War. Not beacause of the in game items though.

I want to pre-order the CE Edition because it gives guarenteed access to open Beta and Early access to the full game.

Unfortunately I wasnt lucky enough to be born in the U.S and so I have to suffer the indignity of not being allowed to pre-order the CE edition

Originally posted by Nymesis

Now i want the CE edition of War. Not beacause of the in game items though.
    I want to pre-order the CE Edition because it gives guarenteed access to open Beta and Early access to the full game.

Unfortunately I wasnt lucky enough to be born in the U.S and so I have to suffer the indignity of not being allowed to pre-order the CE edition

You do not need to be in N American to pre-order, there are many shops that does it for you in Europe, Asia or wherever, or you can do it by postal orders, on-line orders.  It might cost a tad more, though.

• teddy_bareteddy_bare Member UncommonPosts: 398

As has been said, the OP is blowing this WAAAAAY out of proportion. The CE bonus-items are just fluff, period. It's the same with the people crying that every item and bit of content should be available to every player regardless of how much money you have...Yeah, I agree to a point. But these are just little bonus, one time pieces of fluff, we're not talking about end-game content, or even real content. Yes, they have a quest associated with each piece of fluff, but going so far as to call it real content, or giving an advantage to players who buy the CE is just silly. The bonus-items in the CE give nothing more then a title, a trophy, or some kind of limited duration and use xp bonus, big freakin deal man.

The contents of this CE, which I most definitely plan on picking up btw, are no different then the CE's of WoW, EQ2, LoTRO, DDO, Vanguard....you know, basically EVERY major MMO released in the last couple years. Actually, the contents of the WAR CE look much better then all the others put together and I really can't wait to get mine and start playing.

• NymesisNymesis Member Posts: 9

ah ok, I just found that out. I jumped the conclusions after trying to pre order the collectors edition from amazon.com and being refused.

Friend told me to try Play.com and it worked so im happy now, and will be in open beta:)

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by boo2319

This isn't anything new, mmo's have had reward systems like this for a long time; it's not specific to EA either.  It isn't worth detesting the collectors edition over. In the long run, you don't really get a significant edge over people who do not purchase the collectors edition.

...and no, AAA mmo's will never implement item malls, so get that silly little idea out of your head :)

Ignorance is bliss.