Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

14 year old GM?

2»

Comments

• TyrianTyrian Member Posts: 13

Age =/ maturity

I can tell you that one of the most respected lead administrators of wikipedia.org was 14 at the time he received his position.  This was, of course, downplayed to avoid just this sort of reaction.

If the OP feels that this individual has abused his powers, I would suggest he make his case.  I would hazard a guess that every moderator on every board has abused his powers in one form or another, either of their own volition or under orders.  Age would have nothing to do with that.

In my experience, however, the abuse of power generally amounts to a moderator not letting someone indulge in their god given right to talk crap.  That too, is not age related, just maturity related.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587
    Originally posted by pstruth

Whether or not he has abused his powers seems contentious at the least.  And neither of your well-informed replies answered my question with regards to his age.

so because he is younger you expect him to abuse his powers?  i think that is a little harsh.  at 14 i would be more worried about how much work load he is undertaking for that position rather than what he is doing with it.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• pstruthpstruth Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by Tuxide

pstruth: I see no factual information here, there is no 14 year old running the fan channel and there is no GM younger than 21.
    <modedit>

What do you mean there's no factual information?  I asked a question.  You and Nurahk posted answers.  Are you saying that the answer you gave isn't factual?

Originally posted by UtMoon

He is another op in the channel. Big deal? No. I have never once seem him abuse the commands.
    That's just your opinion, and it is contentious.

<modedit>
    Really now? My points were more than valid, factual, and not flamy in the least. Just the honest truth. Perhaps I'll post them on the PS forum... where the moding is a bit lighter.

I'm sorry, but I haven't seen the mods here edit out stuff that wasn't a flame.  Perhaps that's just my opinion, but your post was probably editted for a reason.  The PS forum is more tolerant of flaming, especially when the person being flamed is disliked by the moderators for giving truthful reviews of the game and its community.

Now, I am going to question why this was posted here, where few actual players visit, instead of simply going into the #planeshift channel and asking the person in question himself.

Perhaps because the #planeshift channel is a big giant flame pit, perhaps because it's run by 14 year olds. ;)

Originally posted by Tyrian

If the OP feels that this individual has abused his powers, I would suggest he make his case. 

That doesn't fly over there.  I don't think I've ever seen someone ever lose their position as GM or moderator after being accused of abusing his position.  Bad GMs and moderators have left the game before on their own, but whenever that happens it's made very clear that they simply decided to leave and no one "fired" them.

Originally posted by Death1942

Whether or not he has abused his powers seems contentious at the least.  And neither of your well-informed replies answered my question with regards to his age.

so because he is younger you expect him to abuse his powers? 

No, I'm saying that some people think he has abused his powers on occassion.

• PelagatoPelagato Member UncommonPosts: 673

hm... a smart kid that know how to do the job... that is fine...

On the other hand i had seen people in the 50s that never had a work before.. they just do a bit of work over here and there.. nothing real ever in their lives... lol.

know what I mean.

• NurahkNurahk Member Posts: 21

He is another op in the channel. Big deal? No. I have never once seem him abuse the commands.
    That's just your opinion, and it is contentious.

<modedit>
    Really now? My points were more than valid, factual, and not flamy in the least. Just the honest truth. Perhaps I'll post them on the PS forum... where the moding is a bit lighter.

I'm sorry, but I haven't seen the mods here edit out stuff that wasn't a flame.  Perhaps that's just my opinion, but your post was probably editted for a reason.  The PS forum is more tolerant of flaming, especially when the person being flamed is disliked by the moderators for giving truthful reviews of the game and its community.

Now, I am going to question why this was posted here, where few actual players visit, instead of simply going into the #planeshift channel and asking the person in question himself.

Perhaps because the #planeshift channel is a big giant flame pit, perhaps because it's run by 14 year olds. ;)

This is all just your opinion.  In fact, everything you post here has just been your opinion.  You say Jose has abused power but, you have no proof.  You say the PlaneShift mods have favorites but, again, you have no proof.

And he is no longer 14, pstruth, he has aged.

Now... Is there any point to this thread?

• UtMoonUtMoon Member Posts: 99

"Perhaps because the #planeshift channel is a big giant flame pit, perhaps because it's run by 14 year olds. ;)" -pstruth

'Perhaps' is a good way of saying nothing and implying much. The channel is not a 'big giant flame pit' as defined by en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaming (Internet).  Interestingly enough, the deleted section of my post is not defined as flaming either, by this section of the article: "Similarly, a normal, non-flame message may have elements of a flame -- it may be hostile, for example -- but it is not a flame if its author seriously intends to advance the discussion." What I wrote was nothing more than a breakdown of the phasing of the original post, and why people took offence to it. There was no name calling, goading, or insulting aside from giving my opinion at the end that I am sad that you feel the need to be so petty, which was valid by your above statement and the following.

As said many times, it is not run by a 14 year old -now-. Three years ago, it was modded by a 14 year old, along with others who were not. Even by saying this is 'perhaps' the cause is showing that you are bias, judgemental, and yes, petty.

Try to answer the question without using slippery words. I think the honest motivation of the original poster is a more than valid discusion topic for any thread.

I changed my mind. PlaneShift is not worth the time.

• TuxideTuxide Member UncommonPosts: 213

I concur, this thread has no point to it because it is clearly a personal attack thread.

VPellen: With all due respect, I have no idea why the hell you claim this is not an attack thread because this obviously is one. This is not a discussion about 14 year old GMs in general, this thread is clearly about a particular person. I would be happier if we could hold this discussion WITHOUT disparaging individuals.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by Tuxide

I concur, this thread has no point to it because it is clearly a personal attack thread.
    You already tried that one.
    VPellen: With all due respect, I have no idea why the hell you claim this is not an attack thread because this obviously is one. This is not a discussion about 14 year old GMs in general, this thread is clearly about a particular person. I would be happier if we could hold this discussion WITHOUT disparaging individuals.
    Then I guess you need to stop posting, eh? Or do you quickly forget things you write?

VPellen: I'd suggest locking the thread, my self. pstruth has made his point, { Mod Edit }, case closed.

• NurahkNurahk Member Posts: 21

I'd consider that a flame.  The only real reason he posted it was to attack us "fanbois" isn't exactly a compliment.

Either way, no, pstruth has yet to make any point, Zorvan.  This thread has been

"14 year old GM?"

"No, not GM and no longer 14"

"14 year old GM?"

"No... not GM and no longer 14"

"But... but... 14 year old GM?"

And so on and so forth.  I've yet to see a point.

Originally posted by Nurahk

I'd consider that a flame.  The only real reason he posted it was to attack us "fanbois" isn't exactly a compliment.

Either way, no, pstruth has yet to make any point, Zorvan.  This thread has been

"14 year old GM?"
    "No, not GM and no longer 14"
    "14 year old GM?"
    "No... not GM and no longer 14"
    "But... but... 14 year old GM?"

And so on and so forth.  I've yet to see a point.

You guys ( especially Tuxide ) consider anything you don't agree with ( which means anything said against anything to do with Planeshift ) a flame. Kinda funny, in a sad way.

• AnumesaAnumesa Member Posts: 19

Since this seems to be a blatant attack on Jose, i would like to call myself as a witness ;) Personally, it took me several months before i realized he was even younger then me. He is an incredibly mature, intelligent individual, fully capable of handling the position of op on the planeshift irc channel. I would also like to point out that there are several others with op status, including Talad himself much of the time. So any claims of mod abuse, are completely unwarranted in my opinion.

As for the claims that the channel is one big flamefest, thats also quite untrue. I am pretty much there most of the time, and there are RARELY any instances of flaming. 99.9% of the time it is a pleasant discussion..Of course there are a few individuals who take pride in causing trouble, { Mod Edit }

Sincerely yours,

Anumesa

Interesting how you deride others for stating thier opinions about someone else's posts, yet rarely comment on the actual topic of the thread, and actually don't seem to have a clue as to what is going on.

Would I have a problem with a minor having full control of an official game channel (which is not even close tot he case here)? No. As long as was done well. I gave a far greater issue with people in charge who are older, yet act like children, or think that their age makes them superior.

As I said before in the mod edit, you are not a mod, Zorvan, and it is not your job to police the thread. I have attacked no one in this thread, have given honest answers, asked honest questions, and wish to be given an honest reason as to the intention of this thread. I honestly doubt the real reason is to find out the answer to the question, as there are far easier ways to accomplish this. pstruth has claimed several times to know Devs and GMs in the game, so it would have been as simple as asking one of them.

So I ask again, why post this thread on a forum full of strangers who barely even know what PlaneShift is, let alone who a single op in the IRC channel is. We all know pstruth is not a stupid person, and is very good at manipulating people. So ask yourself, what is his game here?

Interesting how you deride others for stating thier opinions about someone else's posts, yet rarely comment on the actual topic of the thread, and actually don't seem to have a clue as to what is going on.
    Would I have a problem with a minor having full control of an official game channel (which is not even close tot he case here)? No. As long as was done well. I gave a far greater issue with people in charge who are older, yet act like children, or think that their age makes them superior.
    As I said before in the mod edit, you are not a mod, Zorvan, and it is not your job to police the thread. I have attacked no one in this thread, have given honest answers, asked honest questions, and wish to be given an honest reason as to the intention of this thread. I honestly doubt the real reason is to find out the answer to the question, as there are far easier ways to accomplish this. pstruth has claimed several times to know Devs and GMs in the game, so it would have been as simple as asking one of them.
    So I ask again, why post this thread on a forum full of strangers who barely even know what PlaneShift is, let alone who a single op in the IRC channel is. We all know pstruth is not a stupid person, and is very good at manipulating people. So ask yourself, what is his game here?

No, I'm not a mod. Don't need to be to respond to crap, which is exactly why I posted in the first place: Tuxide posting crap about pstruth "discriminating" against someone and calling pstruths' thread invalid. As far as policing, are you not trying to do the same? And Tuxide sure does the best he can to police it in his favor ( which rarely works ).

Perhaps you may wish to inform Mr. tuxide that he is not a mod either, and he does not decide what is or isn't a valid topic for discussion.

Although I will say that you and Tuxide apparently think telling people they don't know what they're talking about is a valid form of debate.

I responded to the topic, by saying that having concerns about a juvenile being placed in any official capacity is a valid concern and a valid topic. I did not say whether "Jose" was qualified or not. Only that the topic was valid and I also explained to tuxide that pstruth was not showing anything which falls under "discrimination".

And the fact that there are so many mod edits is due to Tuxide ( and also apparently narahk, who also thinks I'm stupid enough not to see his pathetic little lame-ass insult ) having an over-active finger on the report button, hoping for one to stick.

And you're right. Why post a thread on mmorpg.com in the Planeshift section about *gasp* Planeshift? Well, sinece Tulad feels it's the appropriate forums to list new features and to have discussions, then I guess Tulad feels that these forums are indeed a good place for Planeshift discussion, no?

Point being, once again, anything that has to do with Planeshift is appropriate for discussion here. But hey, if negative views and discussion points aren't wanted that bad, there's always the option to request the game be removed. Then noone will have to worry about something negative being said by "outside" people, and noone will have to "police" the threads on either end.

Interesting avoidance and implication, though not as good as pstruth. Note how I never said it was not a topic to be discussed here, and in fact have contributed to the topic in a productive manner, which I must say you have not. I am not asking if this is the right place to put this topic. I am asking why he decided to place it here when you and I both know he has far better options.

The 'topic' of this thread is asking a simple question. A question that you did not know that answer to, and I very much doubt if you even know who is being talked about. That is how you are clueless.

Your response to my post is completely invalid. No, I am not trying to police. Point out to me where I said to stop the debate. Yes, telling people who do not know what they are talking about -is- a valid form of dismisal when it is the truth.

Honestly, I think Tuxide got a little out of hand in his posts, but dispite what you think, this thread is an attack on PlaneShift and one of our friends. It a manipulation, gosip topic. I would point out exacly how it is, but that part of my post was deleted before for reasons unknown to me. It was designed to get a hot reaction from jose's friends.

If he had wished to start a debate on the age of GMs, then there are far better places to do it. If he had wanted an answer to his question, he has far better options to get it (and he knows it). If he wanted to soil the name of PlaneShift and its Devs, and start a flamefest, this is the PERFECT place to do it. Figure it out, Zorvy. You are being used.

edit: I would still like a flat out honest answer why he decided to post here out of all his options. No avoidance. No slippery answers. Just the truth from ps'truth'. What is your motivation, patruth? Is that too much to ask?

• SpireaSpirea Member UncommonPosts: 6

removed

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.