Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A few questions for Jatar

MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

CoS seems like a very interesting game to me.  However I have a few questions.  Hopefully Jatar will have the time to answer them.

1) The notion of each person’s quest line being different and based on their own play style is intriguing to me.  What I wonder about is group play.  Many people play MMOs so they can accomplish tasks as a group.  If I want to play a game with a group of friends, will our character progression be stunted because we are working on each others quest lines instead of our own?  Will there be actual content that takes many people to complete.  The most fun I have had in MMOs is when me and 20 to 50 other people get together to achieve a common goal—either PvP or PvE. 

2) Will there be a cap on skill points or levels?   If there is what will players do after the completion of their character.  I assume people will be able to fine tune their skills.  If there is no cap will a person who plays all the time be so uber powerful that they are almost god like compared to others. 

3) Will this game have both PvP and PvE? 

Thanks for your time and I look forward to reading your reply.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Comments

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

1st Question-   READ AROUND.  This question has literally been asked 40 times.  It's prolly on half the threads here.

2nd Question-  Good question :)

3rd question-  If you read around it said that NPC's are both your enemies and your friends, so I'm guessing you can fight monsters.  And there is PvP, where you fight in the coloseum either solo or in a group.  There can be others watching who can bet on the matches though.

• JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348

Originally posted by MMOman101

CoS seems like a very interesting game to me.  However I have a few questions.  Hopefully Jatar will have the time to answer them.
    1) The notion of each person’s quest line being different and based on their own play style is intriguing to me.  What I wonder about is group play.  Many people play MMOs so they can accomplish tasks as a group.  If I want to play a game with a group of friends, will our character progression be stunted because we are working on each others quest lines instead of our own?  Will there be actual content that takes many people to complete.  The most fun I have had in MMOs is when me and 20 to 50 other people get together to achieve a common goal—either PvP or PvE. 

2) Will there be a cap on skill points or levels?   If there is what will players do after the completion of their character.  I assume people will be able to fine tune their skills.  If there is no cap will a person who plays all the time be so uber powerful that they are almost god like compared to others. 
    3) Will this game have both PvP and PvE? 

Solo or grouping has no penalties, either way.  They are all adventures.  It doesn't matter what group you are in at the time.  Don't get too hung up on the personal story concept.  Let me give you an example.  I hope you have read Lord of the Rings, or seen the movies... that way this concept will make sense to you.  When Aragorn joins the Fellowship of the ring to take Frodo to Mordor, that is Frodo's personal story.  But when Frodo leaves, and Aragorn goes after the hobbits captured by orcs... that is Aragorn's story.  Yet, in a way, from Aragorn's perspective, wasn't it all his story?  The point is your paths sometimes merge with other adventurers, and for a time your stories are one, and then they diverge again.  This is the system of story and adventure used in Citadel of Sorcery.

There is no cap on skill points or level advancement.  Players who play long enough can become 'god like' in a way, yes.  (This will take them a very long time). However, Citadel of Sorcery employs a progressive opponent difficulty system and zone advancement system that increases the adventures and  opponents to match your 'god like' abilities, should you actually play long enough to get that powerful. 

Our game is primarily about quests, adventures and story in a progressing world.  It's not about PVP.  As I've mentioned before, we will allow players to fight each other solo or in groups, but this is by challenge, not PVP or PK.   I know that this will exclude some players who only live for this type of game play, but not all games need to be the same.  We are trying to make something different, we feel there are plenty of the other style MMOs out there so we don't need to make the same thing again.  Even labeling us PvE is a problem, since that brings the idea of existing PvE game play to your thoughts.  Our quests are not what you are used to in WoW, EQ or their clones.

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Jatar, if you could please answer once you get the chance-

1.  Will there be certain activities that guilds can do together?  If so, could you name an example?

Thanks in advance :)

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

I think I did a poor job of asking question 1.  What I was trying to find out is weather or not there would be group content for groups of 20 or more?  If there is content for larger groups will it still be quest based?  I also thought of something else.  If I have a quest to do x and while I am on may way there someone else does x what happens to my quest?  Moreover, what happens if I except a quest then find I have to go?  If I cannot long on for a few days does can the quest mob go on with their plans without me, and hence I fail at the quest?  It seems that if the world is completely instanced then neither of these would be issues.  Just wondering how quests are going to be dealt with since player actions and play times are not predictable.

Question 3) just referred to weather or not PvP and PvE will conducted in the same areas?

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

I am sorry I missed you jatar, I i wish I could have responded before you posted.  I do appreciate the quick and thoughtful response.

--John Ruskin

• sabutai22sabutai22 Member Posts: 262

Originally posted by Jatar

There is no cap on skill points or level advancement.  Players who play long enough can become 'god like' in a way, yes.  (This will take them a very long time). However, Citadel of Sorcery employs a progressive opponent difficulty system and zone advancement system that increases the adventures and  opponents to match your 'god like' abilities, should you actually play long enough to get that powerful. 
    (...)  but not all games need to be the same.  We are trying to make something different, we feel there are plenty of the other style MMOs out there so we don't need to make the same thing again.  (....)

Im sorry but i cant stop laughing, you guys make another fantacy level based MMO yet and i quote: "We are trying to make something different" 

Game sounds more like EQ level based grind fest to me, masked behind a different story.

I bet you guys have level restrictions on grouping, items and quests!

Yeah; " making something different my (beep) "

Good luck with your grind fest!

• JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348

Originally posted by sabutai22

(...)  but not all games need to be the same.  We are trying to make something different, we feel there are plenty of the other style MMOs out there so we don't need to make the same thing again.  (....)

Im sorry but i cant stop laughing, you guys make another fantacy level based MMO yet and i quote: "We are trying to make something different" 

Game sounds more like EQ level based grind fest to me, masked behind a different story.

Speaking of grinding as in repetitious you have posted the same basic comment in three different areas.  

As for your bet you would lose, we don't have level restrictions for grouping.  In fact, we have several systems built into the game to help grouping of dissimilar levels.

Second, as stated in numerous places, Citadel of Sorcery is primarily a quest and story driven game.  Sure you can improve and advance your character, to take that out would be to take out life.  It would be like saying, "'this person is incapable of learning and becoming better' with practice." 

Does Citadel of Sorcery have a level advancement system that allows players to build their character as they play?  Absolutely.  Does this mean the game is the same as other MMOs?  Not at all.  We stand by the fact that a dynamic world with in depth story driven quests is different.  If this is not your cup of tea, you can always go back to drinking water.

• sabutai22sabutai22 Member Posts: 262

Originally posted by sabutai22

Speaking of grinding as in repetitious you have posted the same basic comment in three different areas.  

As for your bet you would lose, we don't have level restrictions for grouping.  In fact, we have several systems built into the game to help grouping of dissimilar levels.

Second, as stated in numerous places, Citadel of Sorcery is primarily a quest and story driven game.  Sure you can improve and advance your character, to take that out would be to take out life.  It would be like saying, "'this person is incapable of learning and becoming better' with practice." 

Does Citadel of Sorcery have a level advancement system that allows players to build their character as they play?  Absolutely.  Does this mean the game is the same as other MMOs?  Not at all.  We stand by the fact that a dynamic world with in depth story driven quests is different.  If this is not your cup of tea, you can always go back to drinking water.

I stand corrected and look forward to the release of CoS.