Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online MMORPG Finder

CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Hey All. Like many of you I have bounced between several MMORPGs. I frequent this board and others and I see many posts asking the same question in different ways. Posts like...

"Help Me Find A Worthwhile MMORPG"

"Is there a F2P game out there like this?"

"Looking for a Space game"

Its not surprising, we are kind of in a MMORPG reccession. Games like WoW have grown tiresome for many, yet the newer released have been underwhelming. The List of MMORPGs continue to grow yet , like a used car dealership, we all know that there are a lot of lemons. Sites like this have a great list of online reviews both by professional and individual players but Its become difficult to research them all.

So the information is out there, but it still takes a lot of work to answer a simple question "What game should I try?" Thankfully Several sites have significant peer and player reviews. Using these, and actually reading the player reports on those sites, I have compiled a consensus rating of over 80 MMORPGs in various Areas of interest. You can select specific features you want in a game like cost, genre , etc. Then you can rank by gameplay aspects that are important to you, Such as PVE or PvP gameplay, population, character customization, performance and support, etc. This online code will give you the ability to easily search for MMORPGs based on features YOU like/wants in these games. I do not promise to be able to provide you exactly the right mmorpg for you, but I hope you will find this area useful for solid leads of games to look into.

However, Like all MMORPG sites, the player suggestions and critiques are key. Does the code work for you? Do you find something like this useful? Is it cumbersome and if so how would you change it? Is there a game that  its  missing which you feel should be added? All comments, both for and against are welcome. In fact, I appreciate constructive comments listing faults more than "WTG!" posts.

This is an area that still in its infancy , has a lot of room to grow, but eventually I think can be useful for a lot of players in between games. Please take a look and thanks

MMORPG FINDER

Comments

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

I like the idea of it, just not going to be accurate till theres thousands of members, but as I said the uniqueness of the idea is there.

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Thanks Hash,

I assume you are speaking about the first MMORPG search (Top of page), looking at where players from a selected game are now playing. Your right, thats going to take time to develope, although with 350 chars, its growing.

The second MMORPG search  (lower on the page), however should be independent. Its that one which I would like players feedback on. How accurate do you find it in generating lists of potential MMORPG games to try out.

Thanks again Hash

Torrential

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Guild Wars is listed a free to play game, otherwise it seems quite good. WoW is listed as the best PvE game, Guild Wars got the best PvP, EVE Online got the best graphics, Lineage 2 got lots of grinding, Myst Online: Uru got no grinding, just to name a few things. Must say I agree with you on the most points, even if Guild Wars featuring best PvP may be disputed by some users. Would be better with some more options like: "Older games: liked 1-10".

Thanks Godliest (and if your name is fitting, thats high priase indeed)

Yea, The debate seems split as if GW is P2P or F2P (No monthly subscription)....MMORPG.Com created a new Title for it B2P (Buy to play) which, while accurate, isnt a common term floated about. However, I suppose it does fit better in the P2P than in F2P (Although, there is little 'free', in many free to play games).

Also, Although they are ranked, I am trying not to say "X game is Best at X feature" (i.e: WoW is the best PVE game). More like ....if you want to see 5 highly rated PVE games...WoW should be one of those 5 on the list. Adding more specifics, doing a search looking for PVE games, with High population and lots of grinding..WoW should be even higher on the list. If instead you put in "Less Grinding" it should drop down.

What I want to avoid is players arguing "How can WoW have a rating of 8.1 ....it sucks!" followed by another arguing "WoW is the best ever, it deserves to be ranked 10!".

Ill see about putting in a 'Older game first' selection. IM trying to gather information to add in "Crafting" and "Character Customization" searching.

Torrential

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Why is character costumization left out (again)? Or is it incorporated into another aspect?

As for me my character is the most important thing in a game. If it moves/reacts the way I like then immersion begins for me at that point. I will only stop playing the game if everything else doesn't fall into place (gameplay, population etc).

Hey Nblitz,

Its not that I left character Customization out entirely, its just that I havnt been able to research each of the games in regards to customization. I have about 65% of the games ranked for customization at this point (CoX has the highest score, The Korean lineage clones have some of the lowest). 

There are just too many games that I have not been able to score. When I created the code, I decided to be very conservative, if there was an Unknown variable about a game, it was flagged 'Unranked' and for all practical purposes got a 0 score. Character customization is a VERY highly sought after aspect of MMORPGs for many players (As you) When I put this selection in, I want it to be as accurate as i can ...35% unknowns, just didnt jive with me.

So, give me some time, ...and make no mistake, it will be in there. IM also working on a 3 month cost average for the P2P..so people can search by budget. Crafting is also planned, but I only have a few ranked on that. If anyone knows of a good site that deals with crafting in MMORPGs that I can research, let me know.

Thanks

Torrential

Originally posted by Czzarre

Hey Nblitz,
    Its not that I left character Customization out entirely, its just that I havnt been able to research each of the games in regards to customization. I have about 65% of the games ranked for customization at this point (CoX has the highest score, The Korean lineage clones have some of the lowest). 
    There are just too many games that I have not been able to score. When I created the code, I decided to be very conservative, if there was an Unknown variable about a game, it was flagged 'Unranked' and for all practical purposes got a 0 score. Character customization is a VERY highly sought after aspect of MMORPGs for many players (As you) When I put this selection in, I want it to be as accurate as i can ...35% unknowns, just didnt jive with me.
    So, give me some time, ...and make no mistake, it will be in there. IM also working on a 3 month cost average for the P2P..so people can search by budget. Crafting is also planned, but I only have a few ranked on that. If anyone knows of a good site that deals with crafting in MMORPGs that I can research, let me know.

Thanks
    Torrential

What you're doing goes way beyond and I hope I didn't make it sound as if I were making demands. Anything that comes for free should be praised! :)

Thanks for your reply. I hope someone capable comes along to help you out.

Hey nblitz,

Just wanted to let you know Ive finished the analysis on Character customization. Although a few games are still missing the info/ratings, You can now search the MMORPGs by character customization. Take a look and let me know if you sense anything missing.

Thanks again

Torrential

• WootNationWootNation Member Posts: 244

'Tis nice.... but I already know of every notable MMO that has yet been released and have played/tried it

Otherwise great site.

Originally posted by Czzarre

Hey nblitz,
    Just wanted to let you know Ive finished the analysis on Character customization. Although a few games are still missing the info/ratings, You can now search the MMORPGs by character customization. Take a look and let me know if you sense anything missing.
    Thanks again
    Torrential
    Godly! lol. I don't know what to say/add. It looks great.

MMORPG Suggestions

Sequential Method:

City of Heroes / Villians

EverQuest II

Star Wars Galaxies

Lord of the Rings Online

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

I can already strike through two off the list. I have work to do Or things to download, shall I say.

• curiindicuriindi Member Posts: 488

For what it's worth, I see a lot of potential in the information that you are putting together!

Thanks Curiindi,

Online  monuments to MMORPG characters is certainly a unique aspect. However, MMORPG analysis is everywhere. The biggest issue was it was very cumbersome and time consuming  to read it all. ALso reviews did not always jive well...some sites are obviously posting a prepared statement from the game company, those which allow player input are often being underscored with statements like "I played this game for 2 minutes and I hate it!!! I gave it a 1".

What I used was an investigation of well thought out reviews from multiple sites, blogs and players to achieve a consensus on the features of a game. This basically comes out as a Meta-analysis. And anyone who knows statistics will well understand the limitations of meta-analysis.

Thankfully I understand this and I am not trying to say "X game is better than Y".  Just " If you look for <enter desired feature> in a game..here is a list for you to look at.

Again, the data is out there, just hidden and spread out.

Torrential