Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alternatives to RuneScape?

PsydrainerPsydrainer Member Posts: 3

Alright, now this is in no way a thread meant to flame runescape just to make that clear right off the bat. I first played runescape a bit over 8 years ago (end of '99) and I was into it off and on up until 2 years ago, and since then, I haven't really played at all.

Now, I miss what I used to get out of the game, just something different from the every day, the social aspect, freedom to do whatever you want. Not everyone was doing specific tasks/quests or trying to just beat the game (although that's really not possible with runescape). I've tried Guild Wars, not bad, but still lacking the same social aspect.

Basically I'm just looking to runescape players themselves, since they're the only ones that would truly understand and perhaps enlighten me to other games of a similar nature, possibly even with a more mature environment than what has become of runescape's in recent years.

Thanks.

Comments

• Cway214Cway214 Member UncommonPosts: 92

I myself played Runescape for a long time.  It was my first MMO that I started back around 2000, Which back then the world was much smaller with the old graphics.  I got tired of it as you said you are now and I moved on to Starwars Galaxies back in '06.  Although, I dont suggest that game anymore, I do suggest taking a look at the Game list Link at the top of the page and do some research.  I have bumped around from a couple of games and I am currently waiting on Age of Conan due May 20th. 

• _Jord__Jord_ Member Posts: 228

I don't know what you mean about the "social" aspect of RS. I played for a couple weeks and I did not encounter a SINGLE helpful player ... Just a lot of punks and goldspammers.

Anyway if you're looking for an open-concept game, try Ultima Online. It's the same idea as Runescape (skill-based, rather than level based) but it's a LOTTTTT better, and it's the grandfather of modern MMOs, so you can feel like you're playing a piece of history... lol.

------
    Played - UO, FFXI, WAR, WoW, EVE
    Currently - Bored.

• PsydrainerPsydrainer Member Posts: 3

That's sort of what I meant in terms of the maturity level of the game dropping, lol...

But to be fair, if you were asking for help money-wise or items, players have never been too keen on helping in that sense.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

WurmOnline takes the term sandbox literally.  there's terraforming, mining(you leave actually caves, and can even mine through moutains), there's house building(you can build anywhere you want, is the reason why the homeserver has half of KM of houses all around the starting area), and there's town building(essentially a deed system that makes you official).

As for the game play its about 60-80% crafting and whatever else you like to do.  a reletivly massive world 256 Sq KM, it can take half a real day to get where you want in some cases, and the client even on low settings is optimized for rendering up to 10 KM in the distance(very impressive if you get ontop of a mountain).  combat on the wild server is kinda 'old-skool' due to full looting, skill loss on death, and the ability to tear down towns if you have enough people(even then random world PvP is rare, it's normally attack/defend a deed).  there are no official quests and the players are left to do whatever they want and however they want. now lets get to the grind, if you're the type of person that needs to reach max level and watch your skills grow don't bother with the game.   there's almost 200 skills to pickup and each one takes a long while to train.  however even if it takes longer to get to max level than any other MMO it's a hell of a lot more tolerable than other games since even lowskill crafting is incredibly useful to yourself and the people you play with, there is literally no such thing as a useless item in this game everything made is used by something/someone else.

This is where I went after playing runescape for a long while.   It's like morrowind meets the very first versions of runescape.  essentially just like the first versions of runescape every item is crafted by a player(no monster drops, though they do drop materials and uniques drop materials for the 'epics').   works with javawebstart so you don't need admin rights(if that's an issue for some reason, you can shove it in mydocuments), and you can play a free version as long as you want just with skills limited to 20(the premium content is being able to level past 20, and there's only about 4 things that can't be crafted because of that.   the item quality of your stuff will be lower as well).

edit: you're going to want to eventually upgrade.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• blazingfire5blazingfire5 Member Posts: 2

You can try the two other games, MapleStory and Flyff. Flyff has almost the exact screen resolution as WoW witht he features of 3D, friendly neighborhood (the "social" thing you were talking about, and you gets to fly on a board. Maplestory is my 2nd online game ive ever played, its a 2D environment, starts off with a very convincing tutorial, and mostly a bunch of peoples playing it. In Maplestory, the party quests are very helpful, those are the only things that get me lvling.

• MicrophunkMicrophunk Member UncommonPosts: 5
    This looks promising... https://www.eldevin.com/ .. i used to play runescape way back in the day.. so the current Rs3 thing doesnt appeal to me much... i dont know if eldevin is in early stages of development or the company lacks money for marketing ? they havent started promoting yet? dunno.. anyways if u wanna real good potentially "next big thing" one.. check out Albion Online, itlooks really promising, its kinda inspired from Ultima Online imho.... 
  • ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Honestly RS3 isn't a radical change from the original game, other than graphics. You can still do the simplistic original style of combat, or they have the modern combat scheme now, your choice, It's still all browser, there's just more quests and more stuff to do in general. For example, if anyone liked botting Runecrafting in Varrock over the magic dimension method they offer now, I don't know what to say. There's more interesting things to do now, so more people can realistically get to areas and participate in content they might not have before.
  • loghorizon01loghorizon01 Member UncommonPosts: 32
    RS is fine socially, you just have to join a clan chat. That's where the real meaningful social activity is at. Chatting to people in public mode is can be good or bad depending on where you are but if you want a community then it's better to talk in the clan chat. Just choose an active one.
    Blogging here a little bit: http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/loghorizon01
  • NocashlocNocashloc Member CommonPosts: 2
    Play android Classic on android and pc. it is alive and well :] www.rscrevolution.com