Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yuck

VioletteViolette Member UncommonPosts: 119

Sorry but this mmo looks like countless others which are pre-digested for the masses and include the old grinding and static content. I don't see what's special about it.

Comments

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

IMO it is the combat system, dungeon layouts/strategies/quests, graphics, ownable flying mounts (this upcoming update), non-instanced housing, ownable boats, vast world, good community, flexible gameplay (play it casually or hardcore) and 3 interacting/interdependent spheres of play (diplomacy, adventure, crafting) that sets it apart. But other than that, you are right, its like all the others.

• Dwarfman420Dwarfman420 Member Posts: 207

Originally posted by Zorgo

IMO it is the combat system, dungeon layouts/strategies/quests, graphics, ownable flying mounts (this upcoming update), non-instanced housing, ownable boats, vast world, good community, flexible gameplay (play it casually or hardcore) and 3 interacting/interdependent spheres of play (diplomacy, adventure, crafting) that sets it apart. But other than that, you are right, its like all the others.

Agree with everything above except what's colored.

Quests - Same as any other mmo, kill x amount of y, collect so many etc...

Ownable flying mounts - WoW has these an more variety, Gu4 as slated will only have 2.

Good Community - Every mmo claims this so not different and infact I would disagree in VG's case. It has haters, hardcore fanbois that will take anything they are given and become psuedo-haters to anything that doesnt fit in "their" view of how the game should be, i.e. recent classic server poll that was shut down after being up only a day due to the "mature/good community" flooding customer service with rants about a poll on a forum and the same community writing the head Dev nasty messages.. enough for him to respond in the OVF.

Another perk to Vanguard is you can pick up the collectors edition for under $20 US dollars.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Originally posted by Dwarfman420

Originally posted by Zorgo

Agree with everything above except what's colored.

Quests - Same as any other mmo, kill x amount of y, collect so many etc...

Ownable flying mounts - WoW has these an more variety, Gu4 as slated will only have 2.

Good Community - Every mmo claims this so not different and infact I would disagree in VG's case. It has haters, hardcore fanbois that will take anything they are given and become psuedo-haters to anything that doesnt fit in "their" view of how the game should be, i.e. recent classic server poll that was shut down after being up only a day due to the "mature/good community" flooding customer service with rants about a poll on a forum and the same community writing the head Dev nasty messages.. enough for him to respond in the OVF.

Another perk to Vanguard is you can pick up the collectors edition for under $20 US dollars.

quests - could you please explain to me how spawning the named in Rahz Inkur is exactly like every other mmo? Even if you do see simliarities in quest construction between Vanguard and other mmo's (I don't deny this) is it not exceptable for me to think they have done a better job, and made them more engaging.....after all, I did say, IMO.

Ok, so i don't know about WoW's flying mounts, so I guess you got me there, I keep forgetting they have them. Pardon for the newb question, are the ownable flying mounts in WoW free flying? or are they restricted to the existing flight paths?

On the community......if we are strictly going to judge the community by who posts and what those posts say, how would you compare VG's community with say, SWG's? I was referring to the community in game, I dont believe using the segment of haters who frequent  forums are good for determining how healthy the whole community is. If we did that, all you'd have to do is flip through any game forum on this site, it would make them all appear to consist of mostly of neurotic jerks.

Not trying to be insulting with the above, after all you did agree with me on most points. Just clarifying why I said what I did.

• mahierl2005mahierl2005 Member UncommonPosts: 94

wow has them beat hands down in the flying mounts department.. dragons, gryphons, hippogryphs, a golden flaming phoenix ,yeah.. you'll lose that argument fast. and they are 100% free roaming.. however, V:SoH, as bad as it is, I think trumps every other category.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by mahierl2005

wow has them beat hands down in the flying mounts department.. dragons, gryphons, hippogryphs, a golden flaming phoenix ,yeah.. you'll lose that argument fast. and they are 100% free roaming.. however, V:SoH, as bad as it is, I think trumps every other category.

Well they do have the variety portion beat, But in VG you can use a flying mount anywhere in the game (save for oceans) where as WoW only allows you to use em in Outlands.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Thank you for that empowering ray of enlightenment.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

You can't compare WoW's flying mounts to VG. WoW is out for 3 and half years and the flying mount is LIMITED to maybe 30% of the gameland. You can't use the flying mount in 70% locations, am I right? Plus it took WoW 2 years to implement them and they were added in the expansion. Am I right as well?

REALITY CHECK

• EuthorusEuthorus Member Posts: 491

Originally posted by Thillian

You can't compare WoW's flying mounts to VG. WoW is out for 3 and half years and the flying mount is LIMITED to maybe 30% of the gameland. You can't use the flying mount in 70% locations, am I right? Plus it took WoW 2 years to implement them and they were added in the expansion. Am I right as well?

Check and check 

FUNCOM - putting the FUN in disFUNctional !

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124
    Originally posted by Violette

Sorry but this mmo looks like countless others which are pre-digested for the masses and include the old grinding and static content. I don't see what's special about it.

So look at the list of games n you should put that comment in each games forum. It may not be extremely original. It has its good points n bad. So do all the other games...it is a personal preference. N who really says it is anything special...it is a nice lookin game. Right now there is little special about any game...they are all the same grinding and static content. But if you feel that you need to comment about this to every game on the list...you prolly shouldn't be playing MMORPGs.

• HelternHeltern Member Posts: 193

This is a rehash of every fantasy MMO out there, with low populations to boot, it is a skip it game.

• ThornwolfThornwolf Member Posts: 107

I am playing it now.

I find it to be an okay game. I am low level so I have not seen a lot of what it has to offer so I will withhold my judgment until I have first hand experience.

I will say thus far the game world seems very large, and there aware a lot of quests. Those quests however are not particularly interesting to me personally.

I think diplomacy is interesting, but not exactly fun for me personally. It feels like a mini game and if I wanted to play a game about diplomacy I would just buy one. I would much rather interact with the game world. That said it is another option, and having options in MMOs is a good thing really... for the most part.

As to WoW flying mounts. They are not limited to pre-established flight paths and as has been said above you can only use them in Outlands which is the game area added after the big burning crusade expansion. This did bother me as a WoW player but it was said it was because of the way the world was programmed back in the day. (Axis?) I more was glad they were added at all.

If you are going to do a point by point comparison though, I think that is a bit unfair to both games. They are not trying to be clones of each other. They each tried to be "something" and WoW has done quite well with their model. Vanguard has done less well at drawing in and retaining customers and that says something right there. Doesn't it?

I could design an amazing game that is fun for 5 people to play, it could be said to be successful but that does not mean that it will appeal to everyone. That is how I view Vanguard it is a niche game with appeal to a limited player base that was launched with a number of problems. The game faces an uphill battle now that it has had funds and resources diverted away from it. WoW however continue on strong.

PERSONALLY I have played WoW to death and I have taken 3 breaks from the game now and I have played since launch. Others swear by it, and in large numbers.

So to simplify. Both games offer something to people, WoW just seems to appeal to a broader market and I do not think any three points of comparison is the tale of the tape on that.