Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Pitching a MMORPG idea.

mmo-a-holicmmo-a-holic Bonita Springs, FLPosts: 6Member

I have a couple questions regarding the title

1. Who could I go to in order to pitch an idea for a MMORPG? should I go straight to a company, or use an intermediary?

2. Would anyone even listen? I'm only 18, I'm sure thousands of people have ideas for MMOs, why would they listen to some kid?

3. Is it worth my time? Say I did get the name of a company to propose to, would it be worth my time and effort to write up a good proposal, one that clearly illustrates the concepts and ideas I have?

4. Don't ask me for my idea, I've told several people the basic outline (not all close friends) and they all said its a pretty cool sounding game.

Thank you guys for reading, and thank you even more for those of you who respond (negative or posative).

Comments

• JackcoltJackcolt HorsensPosts: 2,170Member Uncommon

Originally posted by mmo-a-holic

I have a couple questions regarding the title
    1. Who could I go to in order to pitch an idea for a MMORPG? should I go straight to a company, or use an intermediary?
    As far as I know, no company would just take in an idea.
    2. Would anyone even listen? I'm only 18, I'm sure thousands of people have ideas for MMOs, why would they listen to some kid?
    Again, if it's only an idea or game concept, no one would listen, regardless of age.
    3. Is it worth my time? Say I did get the name of a company to propose to, would it be worth my time and effort to write up a good proposal, one that clearly illustrates the concepts and ideas I have?
    Do you know anything about game design modelling? A business can't really use long game concept documents... unless you want to hire them to create a game for you. If you were to get in with your game idea, you should know how you model a proper game design report(usually more than 200 pages) and you should know at least basic 3d game programming so you would know what is possible and what is not. You should further more know advanced UML diagram modelling to present the various concepts in a non ambigious form - I'm talking flow diagrams, collaboration diagrams and so on. You should also know the requirement specification part of creating any program.

I don't have any experience with game creation, but I do have some with creating administrative systems. A nice application concept is all fine and dandy, but it isn't really worth anything unless you can work with them on a professional level.

4. Don't ask me for my idea, I've told several people the basic outline (not all close friends) and they all said its a pretty cool sounding game.

Thank you guys for reading, and thank you even more for those of you who respond (negative or posative).

I'm not trying to put you down or anything, I've read so many times that they don't care for ideas. If you want to realize your game, you should try and become a game designer. I know it's a 5 year long education in an university here in Denmark.

• VortigonVortigon PerthPosts: 723Member

I went for the 3rd option. 

To be honest ideas are not something this industry is short of, its getting the investors to back a new idea that is the problem for the development companies.  Which is why we see so many clones out there.  Investors who don't understand this industry prefer to play it safe.

The only way at the moment to have a completely new concept reach even the early development/planning stage is to have your own team bring the project to a level which might attract one of the big MMO companies to buy it out and take it further.

Some of the big companies get hundreds of well presented ideas come through their mailbox every week, its not because their all bad ideas that they don't take them further, its because they need to appeal to the largest player base possible to get their return for the years of development and to get financial backing.  Sad really.

Your best bet would be to prepare an extensive information pack of your idea, with as much concept art, maps, locations, environment detail, game mechanics, details of economy, quest lines etc etc as you can.  (rem keep a copy for your self incase they simply steal it) :)  and send it to every company you can think of, especially the small Independant Development houses.

Basically compile everything you can and present it in a professional manner.  A few sheets of A4 with some notes scribbles on it wont even be looked at.

So good luck but don't get your hopes up companies just can't use ideas alone, you need to put the work into bringing that idea to a certain level of development, which means you need to be at very least a qualified modeller and programmer or have a team of professionals behind you.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member

Successful games/entertainment is really not about new ideas. You put 5 reasonable smart people in a conference room and you can generate 100 ideas a day.

What counts is implementation. Devil is always in the details.