Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who here would like to see a newer, better version of Planetside.

Comments

• xMarsxMars Member Posts: 61

Originally posted by TBONE

same here i really loved PS bak in the days and it still iching for gettign to play it again
    i would surely play the PS2 (or at least newer improved version) caus this game is still one of a kind to me but SOE has to wake up once and grab it all togeter..
    btw does it still exist ?? caus the site isnt working ???
    it certianly still exist. the site is working, maybe you tried while they had maintenance?

official SOE site

http://planetside.station.sony.com/players/

player run Emerald forum

http://z4.invisionfree.com/EmeraldForums/index.php?act=idx

• daveainsdaveains Member Posts: 37

I've been hoping for years that PS would just die out and SOE'd sell it off to some indie company. Then we'd see the kind of marketing to get the numbers up, the kind of upgrading to make it technically competitive (compatibility, FPS, netcode and graphics), and the kind of new gameplay and content to put it on the front page of this site for another 5 years.

So put my vote in for the same game with all of the above features. If you want to call it PS2, that's fine with me :)

• adavis72adavis72 Member Posts: 14

this game died due to the players, but i loved it. it has a great background with the future fps thing, and an updated PS with more weps, vehs, better graphics etc... would make it great... this is on my wishlist:)

• ShoopufzShoopufz Member Posts: 10

Well, there has been a rumor going around that SOE would be selling the rights to PS, and I've been trying to get a confirmation from them because I have a start-up company and a financial backer who have all played many years of PS and love it. If PS were to be for sale, and if we were to buy it, a graphics engine overhaul is the first thing on our list.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by Shoopufz

Well, there has been a rumor going around that SOE would be selling the rights to PS, and I've been trying to get a confirmation from them because I have a start-up company and a financial backer who have all played many years of PS and love it. If PS were to be for sale, and if we were to buy it, a graphics engine overhaul is the first thing on our list.

Seriously!  That would be so sweet!

Originally posted by Teala

Seriously!  That would be so sweet!

Don't I know it. Just bumping the game DX9 would be amazing. The fact that the system requirements are only a 1GHz PIII and a GeForce2 series card or better with 64MB of video RAM shows its age. If we did buy PS, we'd make sure those requirements went up to at least Geforce 5 Series and Radeon 9k series (but in a good way ya know). And no PIIIs allowed. We would also try to actually utilize the C2D technology instead of just ignoring the second core (C2D players actually lag compared to >3GHz P4 users because only one core actually counts). And best of all, because the game already exists, there would be the option of developing the new engine on the side without worrying about losing money by not having it done. So the game would re-release with the new engines when they were ready, not when some publisher said they needed to ship. The game would be so much better if SOE just sold it.

You know what my longest running subscription was for?   Planetside!  3.5+ years!  God I seriously loved that game.   love

• equillianequillian Member Posts: 1

Youre looking for Tabula Rasa -> www.rgtr.com hope you like it :)

Originally posted by equillian

Youre looking for Tabula Rasa -> www.rgtr.com hope you like it :)

LMAO!  No...just F&^% No...no..no..no...TR is garbage.  I knew it in beta...because it is not a true FPS...it is total BS.  

You should come back. There are very few times of the day when I log on and can't get into a good fight. Usually its like the middle of the night and even then, most days the fight will be good throughout the night. I consider a good fight to be 20-50 people per base, and usually the fight doesn't dip below 50 even in the middle of the night. During the peak time, there's about 50-70 per empire. So if all meet at the same base or at least in the SOI of a base, that's a huge fight even in the 2003/2004 fight standards. The only thing that sucks is when there isn't a GM on and some chinese guy thinks it'll be fun to run his client-side hacking .exe and insta-kill guys on another continent from the home sanc. (The anti-hacking measures is also something that will be improved if we got the game.)

• kalukalu Member Posts: 70

If SOE or someone would make a Planetside 2 i would purchase it in a heart beat!

I have played since beta and have never had as much fun in my gaming life.

I prey that another MMOFPS hits the market - i really dont understand why no-one has?????

I miss you PS (the old PS)

loved planetside, playing EVE

• JaeSwiftJaeSwift Member Posts: 201

The ''new'' planetside is gonna be Huxley. Check it out.

• darkgamerxdarkgamerx Member Posts: 311

Yeah, i would play it if they improved it.

Originally posted by JaeSwift

Hah! Huxley won't have as many players in a single battle as PS has even on its low pop nights. Huxley won't be persistent (at least not like planetside), and with a max of 100 vs 100 battles. Not only can it not support even half the pop of PS battles, but the gameplay is so fast that it feels like you're just playing a bigger UT. For some people, they like that. I liked PS because of how it was slower, you had to plan out how you were going to get each kill and use your environment. You almost always have a way of escaping from a 1 vs 1 fight, and living to fight another day. You can't do that in the faster paced games like UT, Red Faction, CS, Time Splitters, TF or any of those games. Huxley will be no different and it will NOT be the "new" PS, just another wannabe mmofps.

Sony, just sell me the rights already!

Originally posted by JaeSwift

Im sick of hearing this! your statement is bullshit.

Huxley will not be anything like Planetside dont even think you know what your talking about.

Nothing has or most likley ever be close to what Planetside was.

Planetside = the only true MMOFPS EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• HvezdosvitHvezdosvit Member Posts: 13

I have heard that we have one other MMOFPS. Maybe you should look on WW2Online, it sounds to be quite similar. It has free trial now... I am going to give it a try if I have some free time in near future... It could attract you if you like Planetside,  even if graphic engine is IMO quite oldschool...

• EveeldourEveeldour Member UncommonPosts: 143

Originally posted by Teala

You know what my longest running subscription was for?   Planetside!  3.5+ years!  God I seriously loved that game.   love

yeah same here :)

• DreadlichDreadlich Member UncommonPosts: 597

I want an MMOFPS based on Mechwarrior/Battletech damnit. I can't understand why they just abandoned the Mechwarrior franchise.

MMOs Played: EQ 1&2, DAoC, SWG, Planetside, WoW, GW, CoX, DDO, EVE, Vanguard, TR
    Playing: WAR
    Awaiting 40k Online and wishing for Battletech Online

• AlmuderasAlmuderas Member Posts: 10

Yeah, Sony has such a winner with Planetside... they just need to brush it up for the modern graphics climate. A Planetside 2 with updated graphics, added weapons and mechs (which are balanced), exotic locals, and the same great music that they have with the game now.... I think we'd have a winner. Also, constant content updates, similar to what Turbine does with LOTRO would be awesome. They don't have to necisarily add new 'must have' content. Actually that would not be ideal at all. Instead they could add small perks here and there... also cosmetic changes, and then an overall world battle view which changes as the factions gain new territory.

Also, more fleshed out indoor bases which are varied and have traps which could be laid by engineers, etc., would be awesome.

So, yeah, a second running of the Planetside franchice would be awesome and I'd totally be on board... but Sony doesn't seem keen to having quality products; just mediocre ones/or potentially great ones, which aren't kept up at all.

• farudimfarudim Member Posts: 48

PS - one of the best MMOs ive ever played.

A re-launch with updated graphics, id be there for sure.

• VortigonVortigon Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by randomt

I'm all for a persistent FPS game to be the successor of Planetside.  Forget that mmo stuff though, like pve.. its an fps, not a shoot the dump ai drone for  undeserved skill upgrades .  In fact if they took the exact same concept, gave it a modern engine (smooth, responsive, good controls/mechanics), slapped some nice modern computer graphics on it, I'd be happy.

Agreed :) :) That would be great.

• BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406

There needs to be a Command and Conquer version of this game.

• Drgnprpht999Drgnprpht999 Member Posts: 141

I know it would never happen but I would like to see the CoD4 guys make a FPS MMO. Also would love to see them make a Star Wars FPS (Jedi's being like a helicopter in CoD4). That would be tight.

Deviant Art: http://ramenninja.deviantart.com/

MMOs Played: EverQuest 1 and 2, Ryzom, Horizons/Istaria, Planetside (BFRs ruined it), WoW, GuildWars, CoH/CoV, Lineage 2, FFXI, Random free MMOs

Bump

I would.

• TR-MattTR-Matt Member Posts: 24

Of course I would. Gameplay > Grind and Planetside is the only MMO I know of which is all about competitive gameplay and has no grind (I don't consider raising BR a grind since its never something I'm working for, it's just something that happens naturally in the course of PvP).