Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Changing Ability Scores?

SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,461Member Uncommon

So, I wanted something casual and decided to resub on DDO. I'm actually having quite a bit of fun but I have a question regarding ability scores.

Because I was essentially looking for a game that I could do a bit here and there for a sort amount of time (which also meant a lot of soloing) I made a Paladin. Seemed like a good solo class as it was tough with some healing.

However, I think I essentially picked their generic Paladin build with regards to stats. Now that I've done some research I have found out that I need a wisdom of 14 to cast the most powerful Paladin spells. Seems to me that if you are going to be a class (at least to my thinking) you should be able to access all that it has to offer.

Before I reroll, I was wondering how many chances does one get to raise your ability scores? I've done a bit of searching on the main forums but all I found out was that I would get a chance to raise them? Could I feasibly raise my current wisdom from 12 to 14 over the course of play?

Thanks. - S

Comments

  • VincenzVincenz Columbus, OHPosts: 1,498Member
    Originally posted by Sovrath


    So, I wanted something casual and decided to resub on DDO. I'm actually having quite a bit of fun but I have a question regarding ability scores.
    Because I was essentially looking for a game that I could do a bit here and there for a sort amount of time (which also meant a lot of soloing) I made a Paladin. Seemed like a good solo class as it was tough with some healing.
    However, I think I essentially picked their generic Paladin build with regards to stats. Now that I've done some research I have found out that I need a wisdom of 14 to cast the most powerful Paladin spells. Seems to me that if you are going to be a class (at least to my thinking) you should be able to access all that it has to offer.
    Before I reroll, I was wondering how many chances does one get to raise your ability scores? I've done a bit of searching on the main forums but all I found out was that I would get a chance to raise them? Could I feasibly raise my current wisdom from 12 to 14 over the course of play?
    Thanks. - S

    4, 8, 12, and 16 are all "ability raise levels" :)

  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,461Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Vincenz

    Originally posted by Sovrath


    So, I wanted something casual and decided to resub on DDO. I'm actually having quite a bit of fun but I have a question regarding ability scores.
    Because I was essentially looking for a game that I could do a bit here and there for a sort amount of time (which also meant a lot of soloing) I made a Paladin. Seemed like a good solo class as it was tough with some healing.
    However, I think I essentially picked their generic Paladin build with regards to stats. Now that I've done some research I have found out that I need a wisdom of 14 to cast the most powerful Paladin spells. Seems to me that if you are going to be a class (at least to my thinking) you should be able to access all that it has to offer.
    Before I reroll, I was wondering how many chances does one get to raise your ability scores? I've done a bit of searching on the main forums but all I found out was that I would get a chance to raise them? Could I feasibly raise my current wisdom from 12 to 14 over the course of play?
    Thanks. - S

    4, 8, 12, and 16 are all "ability raise levels" :)

    Thank you Vincenz! And theoretically, could I, if I wanted, put them in all one stat or do they need to be spread around?

  • SorontarSorontar ManchesterPosts: 19Member

    You can put them all in one stat. if you want to.

  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,461Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Sorontar


    You can put them all in one stat. if you want to.



    Ok, thank you all. I now feel no compulsion to reroll!

  • BesCirgaBesCirga StavangerPosts: 806Member

    I would however relayed on item bonuses rather then used my stat raises... wis 12 sounds like a perfect start to me

    I dont know much about pallies anymore though...havent played mine in ages hehe

  • ThillianThillian BratislavaPosts: 3,143Member Uncommon

    Wisdom 10 is enough for a pally if you don't plan to cast that much. Later you will get items with + 4 bonuses to an ability and 14 is enough to cast anything. In addition you can use some enhancment to increase it a little. Charisma and Strength I would say are primary abilities for a paladin. CHA 16 at start is handy ! :)

    REALITY CHECK

  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,461Member Uncommon

     

    Originally posted by Thillian


    Wisdom 10 is enough for a pally if you don't plan to cast that much. Later you will get items with + 4 bonuses to an ability and 14 is enough to cast anything. In addition you can use some enhancment to increase it a little. Charisma and Strength I would say are primary abilities for a paladin. CHA 16 at start is handy ! :)



    That's a good point. Thanks!

     

    Yeah, as I said, I was looking at my stats and I wasn't really sure that I was exceptional in anything. Strength 15, can't remember Charisma was. It seemed very even with only one "-".

    I just wasn't sure if I gimped my character by relying on the build that they offered as the standard.

    Back when  I played Pen and Paper D&D, Paladins had minimums. It seems that you can go below those minimums in this game.

Sign In or Register to comment.