Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Turbine games only ones worth paying for

jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Turbine seems to be the only company that doesn't gouge players for content, but they're really just doing what companies are supposed to be doing. Other games release patches and all that but most of it is bug fixes and balances or little insignificant things. Turbine actually releases content that we're paying for with our monthly fees.

Comments

• ScottcScottc Member Posts: 680

Its too bad thats the only thing Turbine does right.

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Graphics.....don't forget the graphics.  I think Turbine has produced the best graphics in an MMO to date.  Just another thing they do right.

~Hairysun~

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

Originally posted by Scottc

That's harsh.  What are you saying they do that's so wrong?

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Hairysun

Graphics.....don't forget the graphics.  I think Turbine has produced the best graphics in an MMO to date.  Just another thing they do right.
     ~Hairysun~

I would absolutely love to see AC1 redone with LOTRO quality graphics. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Well, EVE releases free patches, and WOW actually is a good value.  They've added tons of free content and only one for-pay upgrade in 3.25 years. Don't forget, Lineage 1 and 2 have always released their updates for free.  GW's doesn't even have monthly fees, though you sort of make up for it in upgrade charges.

Too bad nothing Turbine has appeals to me.  I'd love to see an AC remake though with updated graphics.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Deathstrike2

That's harsh.  What are you saying they do that's so wrong?

Ignoring the concepts that came from the game that made them a big player in the industry.  They've shifted from very good PvP and PvE content with deep quests and very involving combat where the player had a chance of changing the outcome, not just the players level, rich backstory for the game, absolutely amazing live events that let the players get involved in the story.  They've shifted towards more static content, boring killtask quests, basically WoW clones.  I'd pay to play DDO though, as that had some of the features that made Asheron's Call a great game.

• EraserheadEraserhead Member UncommonPosts: 343

The irony of this topic is massive considering Turbine released a payed expansion for AC2 then closed the game down a month later.

Originally posted by Eraserhead

The irony of this topic is massive considering Turbine released a payed expansion for AC2 then closed the game down a month later.

Hahaha, I forgot about that.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

EvE online seems to be doing OK in this area. 6 years and NO payed for expansions. Just free content Upgrades.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by HYPERI0N

EvE online seems to be doing OK in this area.
    6 years and NO payed for expansions. Just free content Upgrades.

that is impressive

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Turbine, CCP and Lineage II all do this.  (CCP makes EVE and is producing a WOD MMO as well but it's not out yet).

Not really isolated to Turbine, tbh.  Though it is one of the 'few' that do it.  And it's definitely a trend I hope catches on.  I refuse to pay a sub for a game and then buy expansions on top of that.  Got over that REALLY fast with EQ and haven't  bought an expansion for a subscription based game since.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• VincenzVincenz Member Posts: 1,498

As one of DDO's biggest supporters and first to point out they've more than doubled DDO's content since launch...I'll also say they launched the game "content light" in the first place, and it really hurt the game.

That said, every time I hit a dev tracker or look at changes the game's made in response to audience request, I give them props as a great developer who listens to it's peeps. 

I also believe that DDO was a huge disappointment on sub numbers...which would be tempting to write off...and instead, they built the game over and over into something to be really proud of, and will probably reap the benefits of it long term.

THAT is something to want and demand out of a developer.

Originally posted by Elnator

I refuse to pay a sub for a game and then buy expansions on top of that.  Got over that REALLY fast with EQ and haven't  bought an expansion for a subscription based game since.

I think the announced LOTRO expansion is great news

but its going to be a *retail* expansion - you need to buy

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by Nadia

Originally posted by Elnator

I refuse to pay a sub for a game and then buy expansions on top of that.  Got over that REALLY fast with EQ and haven't  bought an expansion for a subscription based game since.

I think the announced LOTRO expansion is great news

but its going to be a *retail* expansion - you need to buy

Link?  I don't play LOTRO so not sure what you're talking about.  Played it for several months but eventually tired of it and moved on to something else.   It, like EQ, WOW and many others, is far too linear for me.  Far prefer a more open system like DDO, SWG (Pre-CU), EVE, UO, even DAOC where you have more room to customize your character.

I wasn't aware Turbine was going to be releasing a 'paid for' expansion for LOTRO though... that's dissapointing.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

kotaku.com/367908/lotro-expansion-explores-mines-of-moria

the first retail expansion, Mines of Moria

www.massively.com/2008/03/14/more-mines-of-moria-information-revealed/

Annual expansions and quarterly episodic content (Books)

• wolffinwolffin Member UncommonPosts: 193

Ain't that the truth. After they foobarred DDO so bad dont think I will ever play one of there games again tho

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to respectably disagree.  This company hasn't had an original idea since Asheron's Call 1.   They have hinged their entire business by riding the coat tails of other people's franchises and intellectual property.   While they are trying to cash in by making games that share a title with franchise names we hold near and dear, their one saving grace, Asheron's Call, has been left rotting on the wayside like MMO roadkill.

• CoX doesn't gouge players for new content.  i!2 alone is adding 4 new Epic Villain archetypes a long with revamping the Hollows zone.

Last issue had the Rikti mothership raids etc etc.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by Paragus1

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to respectably disagree.  This company hasn't had an original idea since Asheron's Call 1. ... 

So you're saying Asheron's Call 2 and DDonline were not original games with original gameplay? Because I believe these two games were one of the most original mmo's ever made.

REALITY CHECK

• dracomundracomun Member UncommonPosts: 92

Quick side note TURBINE released an expansion to ac1 actually multiple expansions, dark majesty and i forgot the neew one that came out recently and both cost money

• zantaxzantax Member Posts: 254
    Originally posted by Thillian

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to respectably disagree.  This company hasn't had an original idea since Asheron's Call 1. ... 

So you're saying Asheron's Call 2 and DDonline were not original games with original gameplay? Because I believe these two games were one of the most original mmo's ever made.

I disagree with what you just said here.  AC2, and DDO were not original in almost any respect.  Both are nothing more then eq/wow clones, cookie cutter characters that are dependent on gear to be better then anyone else.  AC1 at least you could break the mold and be a life mage with sword skill if you really wanted, the choices were up to you, and your gear NEVER made your character, your skills and abilities did.  AC2 and DDO, if you don't have upper end gear like WOW then you suck.

• zantaxzantax Member Posts: 254
    Originally posted by dracomun

Quick side note TURBINE released an expansion to ac1 actually multiple expansions, dark majesty and i forgot the neew one that came out recently and both cost money

You are correct, but those were expansions that they thought were to big to be downloaded, so they made a purchasable expansion of it.  However look at there track record with AC1, since release, 1 UPDATE (including content, fixes, and story) every MONTH!!!!  Show a game other then one made by turbine that can claim that?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by zantax

I disagree with what you just said here.  AC2, and DDO were not original in almost any respect.  Both are nothing more then eq/wow clones, cookie cutter characters that are dependent on gear to be better then anyone else.  AC1 at least you could break the mold and be a life mage with sword skill if you really wanted, the choices were up to you, and your gear NEVER made your character, your skills and abilities did.  AC2 and DDO, if you don't have upper end gear like WOW then you suck.

You do realize that DDO is based on Dungeons and Dragons which does have upper end gear and classes, right?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Silly let me tell you how original these games were.

AC2? First game that made the whole grinding concept in MMORPG nonexistent. First game heavily focused on SOLO questing. First MMORPG with very simple crafting. First MMORPG with no death penalties and fast travel. AC2 a WoW clone? Ac2 was released in 2002 I'm sure you know that. EQ2 Clone? Not either. EQ1 clone? Not in a milion of  years. AC2 was the wow of the year 2002, first mmorpg that introduced VERY easy gameplay with a solo focus.

DDo? Gear dependant? I guess you never played DDo. It's not gear dependant, and it's not cookie cutter. Groups don't need tanks and healers as you know them. Each character can be build in any ways, because class system is flexible and you can mix more classes in one character (becoming cleric/rogue/wizard at the same time for example). I repeat it, DDO is NOT gear dependant. The difference between a good player and bad player is not in his gear, but in the power of his build/ and knowledge of the dungeons. And cookie cutter, that's just radicilous...

REALITY CHECK

• Unicorns_PwnUnicorns_Pwn Member Posts: 427

DDO had real time combat, multiclassing, xp awarded at the end of an instance which helps in keeping people from using UCM. What about the fact that health and spell points do not auto generate for no reason? The list could go on...You apparently have no clue of what your talking about.