Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

goood

damn you LA!!!! /shakes fist

Give us back Pre NGE now!

• SMED IS NEXT!

YAAYY!!!  Party tonight.

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835

I dont want to say anything bad in case he quit for medical reasons or something, but one less marketing hack making decisions the better.

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

Originally posted by salvaje

SMED IS NEXT!
    YAAYY!!!  Party tonight.

I've been saying for a few months now that I think he's due to go for no other reason then he will be seen as stagnant in his career if he doesn't move on. How long has he been the CEO of Vivendi/SOE? 10-12 years?

He has to know this, and I'm sure that pressure is building. I stand by my prediction of him leaving around the release of the Agency - either just before or just after.

BTW, I have to wonder if it was Ward's idea for no retro servers? It'll be interesting if there is a change of heart with the next CEO of LA.

• DracisDracis Member Posts: 434

You know, I don't remember him. Did he have anything to do with the NGE? I would hate for any of us here to be thankful for someone who had to leave any company due to personal reasons.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by Suvroc

I've been saying for a few months now that I think he's due to go for no other reason then he will be seen as stagnant in his career if he doesn't move on. How long has he been the CEO of Vivendi/SOE? 10-12 years?
    I'm fairly sure that Smed wishes he was the CEO of Vivendi...

Yes I know it was a typo and I know what you meant but... imagine the pay raise..

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423
    Originally posted by Dracis

You know, I don't remember him. Did he have anything to do with the NGE? I would hate for any of us here to be thankful for someone who had to leave any company due to personal reasons.

Neither the Cu nor the NGE could have been implimented without his say so.

• neonakaneonaka Member UncommonPosts: 779

LOL even if Smed quits to your not getting Pre NGE back... so what does it really matter if every SOE and LA employee on planet earth quits or dies.... Still no Pre-NGE.

• Originally posted by Dracis

Captain of the ship is responsible for the actions of his crew.

The CUNGE was on his watch.

• Originally posted by neonaka

LOL even if Smed quits to your not getting Pre NGE back... so what does it really matter if every SOE and LA employee on planet earth quits or dies.... Still no Pre-NGE.

But it gets people out of the gaming industry who do not belong.

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

LA isn't a gaming company anymore, it's a marketing/franchising operation.

They outsource nearly all their actual development.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• DracisDracis Member Posts: 434

Originally posted by kb056

Originally posted by Dracis

Neither the Cu nor the NGE could have been implimented without his say so.

You're right. He and Smedly were both to blame. Here's an old interview which explains what I'm talking about : http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/starwarsgalaxiesstarterkit/news_6140991.html

I know that interview has been linked here before, but it's been awhile. I guess I need to Google first before I post 

• I think one of the reasons why Smed hasn't moved up or moved on is...  Well, his performance.  It's been pretty atrocious for years now.  He's lost more than half his customers across ALL games in the last 2 years.

Who would want to hire him?  What in his record as SOE president would make him attractive to any other company in a similar or greater role (such as CEO)?

Nothing that I've seen.  Smed is a "Peter principle" guy.  He's been promoted to the position where he is incompetent, and he will stay there until fired.

• WickershamWickersham Member UncommonPosts: 2,379

Does this mean we will get a new Monkey Island or Day of the Tenticle or any other of those fun and amusing little games that LA once made?  Sam and Max or Grim Fandango?

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

• Originally posted by neonaka

Um... Since I played SWG before the CU and NGE doesn't that entitle me to be here just like you???

I thought so, I just thought it best to point out that we still aren't getting to Pre-CU servers so what is the point of this post?

Why say that we aren't?

It might be that the new LEC president would like to actually (gasp) make more MONEY from SWG...

Installing classic servers would be one way to do this.

I'm not saying that they will, but given that the new guy won't likely have any PERSONAL ties to the CUNGE decisions he wouldn't suffer ego-aggro as Ward would have.

Or the new president may just dump SWG completely.  Clearly the game isn't bringing them enough money to justify the negative reputation they continue to suffer from because of it, so why not shut it down?

Originally posted by Antarious

Originally posted by Suvroc

I'm fairly sure that Smed wishes he was the CEO of Vivendi...

Yes I know it was a typo and I know what you meant but... imagine the pay raise..

I beg your pardon. I meant Verant :)

Originally posted by neonaka

How can you be so sure?

Remeber that Smed and company have only stated they have "no plans" for a retro server. That's far different then then never.

All it takes is new leadership to change the course of decision making. I will guarantee that the new LA CEO shakes things up a bit to make his presence felt. Whether that has an affect on SWG we'll just have to wait and see.

• cabal001cabal001 Member Posts: 166

keep the pressure on them guys! 

arguing with a corporate fanboi is like teaching special education.
    even if you teach him something...at the end of the day he's still retarded.

• dookseiddookseid Member Posts: 282

I'm not the type that wishes bad things on people,  even people I hate,  so I hope this guy is just doing what he feels is right.  

Was allowing the CU or NGE right?  Nope,  and I honestly can't think of anything good from Lucas Gaming division to happen in his tenure except LegoStar Wars kind fun and amusing.

So maybe he just knows the right thing to do is move and and let people better suited to the position handle it,  in that case he's a smart  man and kudos to him .

No matter who's at the helm though,  I don't think anything Pre-CUNGE will ever see the light of day.  I gave up on that in the before time,  in the long, long ago.....

• Baio2kBaio2k Member UncommonPosts: 162

Originally posted by dookseid

No matter who's at the helm though,  I don't think anything Pre-CUNGE will ever see the light of day.  I gave up on that in the before time,  in the long, long ago.....

Agreed, at least not as long as SOE is involved.  Without SOE pre-CU is free to and will exist under others authorities.

• GerecGerec Member CommonPosts: 185

Originally posted by Wickersham

Does this mean we will get a new Monkey Island or Day of the Tenticle or any other of those fun and amusing little games that LA once made?  Sam and Max or Grim Fandango?

I KNOW! I remember an interview with this guy asking about a new monkey island or somesuch game and his response was basically "blah blah, no, blah blah" spewing some crap about moving lucasarts forward. I sincerely hope that theres a better shot for a monkey island 5 now :D At the same time I hope his departure wasn't due to illness or anything, but I think LA is better without him.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Originally posted by Gerec

Originally posted by Wickersham

I hope his departure wasn't due to illness or anything, but I think LA is better without him.

I agree, I wish the guy no personal harm, but I hope he gets as far away from StarWars as possible.

• jaxscorpio34jaxscorpio34 Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by salvaje

I think one of the reasons why Smed hasn't moved up or moved on is...  Well, his performance.  It's been pretty atrocious for years now.  He's lost more than half his customers across ALL games in the last 2 years.
    Who would want to hire him?  What in his record as SOE president would make him attractive to any other company in a similar or greater role (such as CEO)?
    Nothing that I've seen.  Smed is a "Peter principle" guy.  He's been promoted to the position where he is incompetent, and he will stay there until fired.

Really?  I thought there were tons of gaming companies out there looking for a President who believes "operating in the red" has something to do with what a doctor wears while in surgery.  The man doesn't have the sense God gave a goose and I am quite surprised Sony has allowed this division to continue down its dysfunctional path for as long as it has.

• iwantmyswgiwantmyswg Member Posts: 301

who ever takes over for LA now that ward is gone will have to bring back pre-cu or shut the game down. mark this day folks today is the day that we the vets have won. now once smed is gone and we have pre-cu back then we can party.

• freebase69freebase69 Member Posts: 4

I say screw pre-cu and scrap the whole game. Just put this dead POS to bed, sell the IP to a different developer and remake the game completely as SWG2 or something. Have the new developer learn from the mistakes SOE is still making and redo the entire IP.

SWG will never be the same CU or pre-cu. just scrap the whole thing and start all over fresh.