Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Coming back

MuffinStumpMuffinStump Member UncommonPosts: 474

I played Vanguard at launch and although I enjoyed the feel of the game my computer at the time (although I considered it fairly robust) really wasn't capable of running the game at a level I would want and much of the unfinished nature of the game lingered.

While I realize many of the initial problems still exist in VSoH and that they have a relatively small team in place I find that I would still like to see the state of the game on a new rig for myself. I especially enjoyed the numerous class and race choices. While superficial to most it means a lot to me in terms of character identification.

Moving along those lines I was wondering in the current game which classes are the least/most played and which classes are capable of a decent solo experience to mid level as I am somewhat resigned to the fact that I will be solo for much of the early game. I suppose I am more partial to hybrids - ranger, paladin, shaman types. In that light it would also be good to know which of the starting areas is the most 'fleshed out'.

A server recommendation would also be appreciated. Yeah, these are probably pretty basic questions but you never know what insight you might get when you ask.

Comments

• elf8blisself8bliss Member UncommonPosts: 304

Welcome back! A lot of improvements have been made since release, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Granted there are minor things to be fixed still, but nothing game breaking.

Well, the best server to play on if you want population is Seradon, but Xeth is a close 2nd. I play on the PVP server Sartok, it has a low pop compared to the others, but I still find many people to play with and it's enjoyable.

Shaman, rangers, pally are all good classes to solo, they say necro is the best, but I think bear shaman is the most versatile. As far as least played, from my experience psi, rogue, monk, druid are the ones I see less around.

They're all good classes tho, I would just play what appeals to you the most.

• UgaritUgarit Member Posts: 213

Wait for  GU4 or GU5.

• MuffinStumpMuffinStump Member UncommonPosts: 474

Thanks elf8bliss, I suppose I'll jump around a bit and test the waters classwise.

Ugarit, I suppose this means you are expecting some significant changes in GU4 or 5 then?

• FischerBlackFischerBlack Member Posts: 573

I second what elf said re server choice. Also I agree that Bear Shaman (Wolf Shamy aint bad either) is a great choice if you plan on doing a decent amount of soloing - Ive seen some Shamys solo amazing stuff over the last year. Apart from Shamy the Necro, Sorc, Psi, and Dread Knight can hold their own solo aswell.

In terms of least played classes, in my view Druids and Rogues are quite scarce at high levels (for what its worth my guild is trying pretty hard to recruit these classes). But of course one of the reasons they are not as popular as other classes is because they have a harder time soloing.

There is really no class that you need to worry about avoiding - they all have something to offer groups and raids, but if you see yourself soloing frequently my advice is to stay away from Warrior, Monk, Druid, Rogue, Disciple.

As far as starting areas - I enjoyed the Orc, Gnome and Half Elf starting areas, and thought the Vulmane area was fairly mediocre...but I wouldn't get too hung up on your starter town - you'll wind up in Trengal Keep or CIS in your 20's anyway

gl with your travels in VG

Thanks for the reply FischerBlack,

The server patch downtime has lent itself to some research time on the class changes and I've noted that the ranger changes are somewhat interesting. Using the two pools more effectively for some and constraining others. An archery focused ranger might be interesting but kiting seems the province of someone intimate with the maps and mobs.

The Warrior changes are also interesting and from an outsiders point of view might even make the Warrior a competent soloer assuming you can lay down some damage dual wielding. So these days it seems Pally=sword and shield / DreadKnight=2 hander / Warrior=dual wield.

I've heard they may take the Druid 'calamity'(?) system in a different direction so if that occurs perhaps that becomes an option for many although I imagine they would still be kiters and Bards seem the kings of that tactic.

...another new difference is the affinities for Clerics. I like these sort of changes to the class dynamic. Choices within choices. A War cleric could be a nice middle ground. Ah, so many choices

At any rate, I believe I am tending towards your suggestion of shaman or dreadknight. Perhaps orc (which is odd for me but should be fun)

Have a good one

• NergleNergle Member UncommonPosts: 253
    Originally posted by Ugarit

Wait for  GU4 or GU5.

That's when I plan on returning GU5

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

I will most likely give it a new try then as well.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• Terminus-EstTerminus-Est Member UncommonPosts: 352

I just resubscribed for a month, and now wish I didn't. There is just something about the Vanguard world which leaves me cold. It feels so characterless.

On the bright side, I originally left because of performance issues, and never really got to try the game properly. Now that I have seen it working, I think I am cured of the need to every try it again.

• cowycowy Member Posts: 28

I just resubbed too, but i'm having problems finding groups a lot of the time.  I'm on Seradon which is suppose to have the highest population, but finding groups above lv 20 is tough.

• morpinmorpin Member Posts: 360

People pretty much solo until about lvl 25 and then after that group play is required for the dungeons. 

• David_RRDavid_RR Member Posts: 134

I play a rogue and it is very tough to solo.  I have only played in one or two groups since I started.  The game has improved and I like it better than the other two games I am subscribed to.  My rogue is lvl 19 almost 20 and it is tough to solo and on Xeth it is hard to find a group.  I like the game and am seriously thinking of cancelling my other 2 subscriptions.  I also have played all the other classes and I like cleric the best, I can solo quite effectlvely with that class  but when I am in any dugeon the aggro is so bad that until you are a higher lvl than the dugeon then I suggest not doing the dugeon.  I hope wiht the next releases they fix the aggro issue.

Well, I think rogue seems to be the worst at the solo game for what that is worth. They can shine even in a duo team though so I hear and are desired in the endgame.

Anyway, what do you mean by aggro issue? It seems that with a decent tank holding aggro your cleric shouldn't be pulling too much of it. The rangers and sorcerors can still draw it away but that is likely a personal management issue. Unless you are speaking of the quick repop and large aggro radius in many dungeons. Almost seems better to do the outdoor quests and wander than dungeons until 25 or so. But we'll see I guess :)

At any rate, I have been having a pretty good time playing my Dreadknight and making some time for my shaman. The game is running pretty clean and I am particularly enjoying the open ended nature of it although I haven't grouped much either.

If I had a complaint it would be that the economy is somewhat brutal. When named mobs around your level (which are difficult to manage) are dropping gear that is 5 levels below them it is hard to get blue items around your level without the auction.