Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Darkfall".. The biggest, most hyped vaporware that ever existed. Atleast "Mourning" and "Dark & Li

Comments

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

hmm, wait here.......why do you believe its vaporware?

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Originally posted by daarco

If you can't play it, it's vaporware.

It stops being vaporware the moment you can lay your hands on it.

• SharajatSharajat Member Posts: 926

Originally posted by ianubisi

This isn't true.  I mean Blizzard's new MMO is not vaporware, we all know, realistically, that the chances of it NOT coming out are about 0.1%. 

Its Vaporware when its been in development for half a decade or more, isn't in any sort of beta stage, and is talking about major revisions (engine changes, etc.).  Alternatively, news about it just dries up.  Its vaporware when you can find ads for it "coming in 2003."  Its vaporware when Windows 2000 was the latest version as it went into development.

It means the project is borked. 

For reference:  http://www.wired.com/gadgets/gadgetreviews/multimedia/2007/12/YE_Vaporware

(though frankly I have no idea what Diablo 3 is doing on it.  Blizzard pretty much ended the Diablo Storyline in Diablo 2, and has repeatedly stated they have no plans to make a third anytime soon.  I guess fanboy anticipation is just that high during voting).

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson

• MidnitteMidnitte Member Posts: 510

Originally posted by Sharajat

Originally posted by ianubisi

This isn't true. I mean Blizzard's new MMO is not vaporware, we all know, realistically, that the chances of it NOT coming out are about 0.1%.

Its Vaporware when its been in development for half a decade or more, isn't in any sort of beta stage, and is talking about major revisions (engine changes, etc.). Alternatively, news about it just dries up. Its vaporware when you can find ads for it "coming in 2003." Its vaporware when Windows 2000 was the latest version as it went into development.
    It means the project is borked.

For reference: http://www.wired.com/gadgets/gadgetreviews/multimedia/2007/12/YE_Vaporware
    (though frankly I have no idea what Diablo 3 is doing on it. Blizzard pretty much ended the Diablo Storyline in Diablo 2, and has repeatedly stated they have no plans to make a third anytime soon. I guess fanboy anticipation is just that high during voting).

Plus all the diablo developers left when Blizzard North was closed up. But we never know, Blizzard's new mmo may very well be vaporware :P

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

So its vapoware because its not done yet?  hmm, not a strong case. I think many want tit to be vaporware. If Darkfall had been a ordinary WoW clone, no one had cared if it was vaporware or not. Now when Aventurine have a uniqe vision.....suddenly all want to give a opinion about the develoment. And i think i have to trust the 400 screenshots, trailer, Asp´s review,  leaked footage, dev updates and Tasos and dare to believ there is a small indie company in Greece that are trying to develop a MMO named Darkfall.

If they succed or not, we will see in the future. Untill then will i try to find a MMO to play. And i say its higher chance that DF is relesed thent i will find a good MMO.

• TheFonzV2.0TheFonzV2.0 Member Posts: 198

So its vapoware because its not done yet?  hmm, not a strong case. I think many want tit to be vaporware. If Darkfall had been a ordinary WoW clone, no one had cared if it was vaporware or not. Now when Aventurine have a uniqe vision.....suddenly all want to give a opinion about the develoment. And i think i have to trust the 400 screenshots, trailer, Asp´s review,  leaked footage, dev updates and Tasos and dare to believ there is a small indie company in Greece that are trying to develop a MMO named Darkfall.
    If they succed or not, we will see in the future. Untill then will i try to find a MMO to play. And i say its higher chance that DF is relesed thent i will find a good MMO.

Bollocks!

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680

Its vaporware till beta actually materialises and people are actually playing it.

Right now its just screenshots a 'in-game' movie and 20 odd Dev reports. in other words we really only have the devs word that there is a game at all.

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

• urgourgo Member Posts: 40

is the whole company greek?cause i live in athens and ive never heard of them.tbh i dont think greeks are capable of making any game.and this guy's last name...flampouras...its kind of silly(i dont want to be rude) like the focker guy in the deniro film.i hope this is not some kind of joke.

• SroekSroek Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by METALDRAG0N

Its vaporware till beta actually materialises and people are actually playing it.

Right now its just screenshots a 'in-game' movie and 20 odd Dev reports. in other words we really only have the devs word that there is a game at all.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Leave this thread for those who actually follow the game to discuss.

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680
    Originally posted by Sroek

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Leave this thread for those who actually follow the game to discuss.

He he i hit another sore point it seems.

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Originally posted by METALDRAG0N Its vaporware till beta actually materialises and people are actually playing it.

Partisans always see anything that can be remotely seen as negative as an attack on their beloved shrines.

But it's a very clear thing: it's vaporware until you can prove otherwise.

As far as I'm concerned it's no more or less vaporware than Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Spore, Starcraft 2, or any other title that is nothing more than promises, screenshots, and/or bulleted lists of features and devblogs.

Why are they all vaporware? Because nothing can be proven true or false about whatever claims are made about it until you can attest to the claim with your own empirical experience.

• magicalstevemagicalsteve Member Posts: 116

Darkfall will be the next Shadowbane; the next Roma Victor.

It will release, but it will be clumsy and not approach the level it was hyped up to be.

• DesalusDesalus Member UncommonPosts: 848

Any game that is over-hyped (AoC, WAR, DF) will inevitably disappoint most of the fans when it launches. In fan's minds these over-hyped games often times become the holy-grail of gaming, promising an astoundingly new gaming experience. Sadly, that disillusionment is rarely fulfilled.

There is no denying that Darkfall will fail to live up to its hype. In the end, I'm sure most of the fans just want a gameplay experience that is unlike anything currently on the market.

---------------------------------------------
    Killer 86%, Socializer 53%, Explorer 33%, Achiever 26%

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

Actually, Metaldragun's post was the most sensible I've seen in this thread. But I'd put it more like this.

There is no doubt whatsoever that Darkfall is a Pre-Alpha MMORPG. So if you're an optimist, go with the assumption that Darkfall is still years away from release. But it's also not unreasonable to call a project that has been Pre-Alpha for seven years vaporware.

Bottom line, both of these realities suck almost equally. Therefore - as has been said by many other posters - it's almost certainly a complete waste of energy getting emotionally invested in Darkfall at this time.

• Azure77Azure77 Member Posts: 355

Full Open PvP died the day Shadowbane was release. All the greats , Korean , American and Euro have gone away quietly like a bad dream. There is no market for Open Pvp , as investors will tell you, if youre not aiming for 7 million+ units sold/downloaded they wont touch you with a ten foot pole.

In 2001 , 350k was the target number and acceptable profit time was 2 to 3 years. But now , they want profit time of 1 year which leads to incomplete projects and rushed development. without funding you cant make a game , without a target audience you cant make money.

If it comes out , I perdict it will have a large draw for 2 or 3 months , then drop 80% in the first 6 months with turnover rates as high as 90%. I dont believe this market can allow a true PVP game to grow , there are just too many choices if you get killed by an overpower class / high lvl.

I think it would be nice if they did release, and made waves , but I highly doubt they will. Its not to say the game will never be released , its just the odds are greater for me to win the lotto.

Not really. It's just irritating when someone talks about a subject that they have inadequate knowledge of, which became apparent as soon as you said Darkfall only has a few material on display to promote their game, which is completely false.

Originally posted by Pynda

Actually, Metaldragun's post was the most sensible I've seen in this thread. But I'd put it more like this.

There is no doubt whatsoever that Darkfall is a Pre-Alpha MMORPG. So if you're an optimist, go with the assumption that Darkfall is still years away from release. But it's also not unreasonable to call a project that has been Pre-Alpha for seven years vaporware.

Bottom line, both of these realities suck almost equally. Therefore - as has been said by many other posters - it's almost certainly a complete waste of energy getting emotionally invested in Darkfall at this time.

The game's in Alpha stage, not Pre-Alpha. Journalists who've paid a visit to Aventurine SA's offices in Athens have written up in-depth progress reports on Darkfall's development and their impressions on the latest build of the game has exceeded many of their expectations.

Mind you, it's not my intent to bring hype to this game, it's just the only MMORPG I feel will be worth playing at all, as none has peaked my interest since early UO, pre-CU SWG and Dransik iso/AE.

Originally posted by Azure77

Full Open PvP died the day Shadowbane was release. All the greats , Korean , American and Euro have gone away quietly like a bad dream. There is no market for Open Pvp , as investors will tell you, if youre not aiming for 7 million+ units sold/downloaded they wont touch you with a ten foot pole.

In 2001 , 350k was the target number and acceptable profit time was 2 to 3 years. But now , they want profit time of 1 year which leads to incomplete projects and rushed development. without funding you cant make a game , without a target audience you cant make money.

If it comes out , I perdict it will have a large draw for 2 or 3 months , then drop 80% in the first 6 months with turnover rates as high as 90%. I dont believe this market can allow a true PVP game to grow , there are just too many choices if you get killed by an overpower class / high lvl.

I think it would be nice if they did release, and made waves , but I highly doubt they will. Its not to say the game will never be released , its just the odds are greater for me to win the lotto.

Darkfall is a skill and twitch-based MMO. There are no levels/classes.

• ladyattisladyattis Member Posts: 1,273

I think it's a good thing they're being as quiet as they are, considering how hype often goes more to the head of developers than it does the fan boys. For example, I haven't heard much about Infinity: Quest for Earth, but if you ever pop in on their forum, there is lots of chatter about features, lore, and user opinion(s) on that MMO. Both products have a very unlikely chance of getting out the door, not necessarily because of lack of avid developers, rather a lack of publishers and capital for the initial release of the games. That being said, it shouldn't be a downer if DF never makes it, if the developers themselves explain why, and possibly release the source code if possible.

-- Brede

• U-TurnU-Turn Member UncommonPosts: 164

Darkfall is a Urban Legend.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

If it ever does release, I bet it will have all the critical and financial success of Darkfall or Mourning.   Why anyone is on the edge of their seat waiting for this game to launch is beyond me.

Nobody is, Salvatoris. We just want to play an MMORPG worth our time, period.

Furthermore, the "Darkfall crowd" wasn't interested in D&L or Mourning.

• ZyllosZyllos Member UncommonPosts: 537

ladyattis, nice sig! Nothing like Assembly...

Either way, I agree with your post. People come out with crazy ideas and others might love them for it but if nobody is willing to help (financially) push that idea out of the door, that that idea is just sitting dead in the water.

MMOs Played: I can no longer list them all in the 500 character limit.

• KillershiverKillershiver Member Posts: 187

lol pre alpha ok you really know what your talking about yea this is going to be great when it comes back bitting you in the ass well more than 1 of you and you know who you are

this is a thought if the game was really vapor why would you even bother posting calling it vapor it really pethetic seems to me you either payed, or there is something wrong with you if it so wrong to want a game to come out

meh its your choice but you guys dont really act your age which is kinda alarming : /

(meh) there to much evidence theres a game) and its going to release this year or at least go beta

but ieither 1 there fanboys of another game and DF threatens it , 2 payed to defunk it, or like i said have some serious issue and need a sychologist spelliing ... AKA Dr. PHILL lol

but hey what do i know, but you can tell who is just someone that impatient or is just trying to cause trouble

and btw did mourning even release meh i dont think so cause he triad scamming people with thrones of chaos and then got foiuund out then started harrasing the DF devs

Originally posted by Killershiver

(meh) there to much evidence theres a game) and its going to release this year or at least go beta
    but ieither 1 there fanboys of another game and DF threatens it , 2 payed to defunk it, or like i said have some serious issue and need a sychologist spelliing ...
    but hey what do i know, but you can tell who is just someone that impatient or is just trying to cause trouble

and btw did mourning even release meh i dont think so cause he triad scamming people with thrones of chaos and then got foiuund out then started harrasing the DF devs

They'll only support a game if it's 99% complete, has pretty graphics and/or is promoted like a summer blockbuster movie. The philosophy of an MMO's fundamental design has no factor in their tastes.

yep if i upset anyone ill gladly give you a hug and say its ok