Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Reader's Choice Award Winners

Comments

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

Originally posted by smartkidz

Not a bad round for this year's choice awards. But what i seem to notice is that this site always loves EVE no matter what.

How about next year MMORPG.COM just gives EVE Online the top choice award rather than bothering with taking votes for that category?   

Evidently a lot of EVE Online players must read MMORPG.COM so that would make the vote for Reader's Choice legit, right?  And I'll admit MMORPG websites attract more hardcore players and they are more likely to play games like EVE Online and they also bother with voting.   

Except the EVE Online forum isn't constantly incredibly more active than all other Forums on this site.    And you have all these EVE players in this thread claiming *they* didn't bother to vote.   So who the heck IS voting for this game every year?    

You're not fooling anyone, EVE players, we all know you descend on the site like locusts to get your game a little recognition, perhaps goaded by the developers in an effort to boost its profile and attract more players (which isn't going to happen).   Congradulations on your community and organization. 

But it's starting to get old. 

• IijsIijs Member Posts: 457
    Originally posted by AmazingAvery
    Goto say with EA buying Mythic out, and Mythic announcing Beta Servers closed for 2 months and EB games listing their release for WAR @ Q4 2008, I guess alot of people weren't as enthused as before. Personally P. Barnett is a bigger turn off for me than all those combined.

I didn't see the info on beta servers closing for two months. Anyone else confirming Q4 2008? Cause if it gets pushed back......

• GodofslaughtGodofslaught Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by Alienovrlord

Not a bad round for this year's choice awards. But what i seem to notice is that this site always loves EVE no matter what.

How about next year MMORPG.COM just gives EVE Online the top choice award rather than bothering with taking votes for that category?   

Evidently a lot of EVE Online players must read MMORPG.COM so that would make the vote for Reader's Choice legit, right?  And I'll admit MMORPG websites attract more hardcore players and they are more likely to play games like EVE Online and they also bother with voting.   

Except the EVE Online forum isn't constantly incredibly more active than all other Forums on this site.    And you have all these EVE players in this thread claiming *they* didn't bother to vote.   So who the heck IS voting for this game every year?    

You're not fooling anyone, EVE players, we all know you descend on the site like locusts to get your game a little recognition, perhaps goaded by the developers in an effort to boost its profile and attract more players (which isn't going to happen).   Congradulations on your community and organization. 

You are both right and wrong.  Yes EVE players probably descend upon this and other sites to vote for there game, but only because we are the hardcore gamers that would have voted whether or not we play EVE.  Stop bashing EVE, or EVE players simply because the community is motivated enough to vote for their game.  I think it says something about the other games' communities, that they didn't turnout enough voters to overtake EVE in any of the categories it competed in.  Perhaps EVE is just that good....

• MalthrosMalthros Member Posts: 239

Originally posted by Agent_X7

I think you actually missed the point, and then claimed it wasn't there. The point is this: Certain communities of people descend on this site every time their pet game is up for some sort of award. They aren't really readers, because they never come here other than to vote for their game.

To use a phrase common in EVE:

Proof or STFU

I've visited this site since before I started playing EVE.  I signed up to vote for EVE (and other games), but I don't care for much of the discussion here.  You have no way to back up your claims, and you make them knowing the reverse is true.  All it does is show you to be bitter that a small game has such strong support from its players despire flaws and black eyes that have occurred.

• MalthrosMalthros Member Posts: 239

Originally posted by Samuraisword

The one category that needs to be viewed in perspective is " Best new MMOG of 2007".
    LOTRO won because the other choices were total crap, not because LOTRO is a quality game. LOTRO is just a WoW clone and I didn't enjoy it beyond beta testing it. There is a good reason why both Spike TV and G4 neglected to offer a best MMOG category for 2007 award.

Spike TV didn't offer an MMO category because it had to make room for ones that aimed at their audience.

I mean, why have something silly like MMO f the year, when you can have a dew fueled game category instead?

The Spike VGAs are nothing but a consumer whoring event, but atleast they havent't given Madden RPG of the year, again.  G4 has been going downhill ever since it changed from Tech TV to G4.

• WacoedeWacoede Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by Terranah

I agree across the board with every category except best overall game for 2007. I wouldn't have pegged EVE Online for that award, but the voters have spoken I guess, so grats to them.

What really stands out to me here is the extreme lack of choices in the sci fi genre. What the hell, come on devs! Quit copying each other and make something new for God's sake. Eve Online is really a niche game. I don't want to be a vehicle. I want to be a person, so that is out for me. Tabula Rasa is buggy but they are working on it. Maybe if they add housing, vehicles, and revisit character creation they could be a triple A game. And SWG and Planetside, both SOE games, didn't even make the list.

SWG...for god's sake's SOE get your heads out of your asses and give us what we have been asking for, a friggin Precu server. You really expect me to believe your brainiac devs who are soooo computer and tech smart didn't save their work somewhere. It's not impossible to give us Precu. There are hobbyists out there working on it right now. If there is a legal reason, or a licensing reason or some other more plausible reason why you can not give us sci fi fans what we have been begging for, atleast let us know so we can stop thinking about it. Because right now as it stands it just seems to be mean spiritedness and stubborness to turn upside down a community of a couple hundred thousand players.

I'd like to get over Precu SWG. I really, really would. But with no quality alternatives and shuffling between one fantasy mmo to the next it is really hard. And I'm so sick of it.

I feel for you on the SWG stuff being an ex-SWG-Flurrian myself (under the same name) in fact SWG was my first MMO and I truly loved that game until the CU then it started to lose its lustre

But EVE has kinda filled that gap and due out this year for EVE is a project called Ambulation (Walking) yes Character Avatars are coming to EVE first will be stations but it has been hinted at (for along time) that planets would be a final goal so EVE may be what your looking for by the end of 2008

If you do decide to try out EVE come chat to me my forum name is my In-game name (as it always has been ) and I'm usually willing to come help you out run missions or just do some mining

• AckbarNLAckbarNL Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by Samuraisword

The one category that needs to be viewed in perspective is " Best new MMOG of 2007".
    LOTRO won because the other choices were total crap, not because LOTRO is a quality game. LOTRO is just a WoW clone and I didn't enjoy it beyond beta testing it. There is a good reason why both Spike TV and G4 neglected to offer a best MMOG category for 2007 award.
    I give credit to Turbine for releasing a polished game, sadly we have to acknowledge this as an accomplishment because so many games are released incomplete and buggy even though shipping a finished product should be the norm.

Lotro won indeed for best game of 2007, if other games are worse then it is the best game of 2007..

To bad you don't like it i know a whole lot of people do, and if you think Lotro is "just" a wow clone and you dident enjoy it beyond beta testing well to bad for you, cuz its so much more then that, its not for nothing highest rated game of mmorpg.com , but like i said some people like difrent things.

Playing: World of Warcraft.
    Played: Lord of the Rings Online, Starwars Galaxies.
    Tried: Starwars the Old Republic, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, Vanguard, Age of Conan, Aion.

• PegasusJFPegasusJF Member Posts: 268

Originally posted by smartkidz Not a bad round for this year's choice awards. But what i seem to notice is that this site always loves EVE no matter what.

How about next year MMORPG.COM just gives EVE Online the top choice award rather than bothering with taking votes for that category?
    Evidently a lot of EVE Online players must read MMORPG.COM so that would make the vote for Reader's Choice legit, right? And I'll admit MMORPG websites attract more hardcore players and they are more likely to play games like EVE Online and they also bother with voting.
    Except the EVE Online forum isn't constantly incredibly more active than all other Forums on this site. And you have all these EVE players in this thread claiming *they* didn't bother to vote. So who the heck IS voting for this game every year? image
    You're not fooling anyone, EVE players, we all know you descend on the site like locusts to get your game a little recognition, perhaps goaded by the developers in an effort to boost its profile and attract more players (which isn't going to happen). Congradulations on your community and organization.

I for one am a regular reader/poster here and did vote for EVE.

Thse accusations, they always come around this time of year when EVE does well in the readers choice awards.

My reply is this, other communities are free to do the same, and you have no proof on the precentage of active MMORPG.com members voting for EVE as opposed to "vote-only" accounts.

If you want to see EVE taken down from it's throne next year, start campaigning for it's competitors.

• xorbinasticxorbinastic Member Posts: 1

So what... If you remove EVE from the equation, WoW gets the first place. What a surprise. Yipee. What's the point of this vote anyway? Don't put the blame on the EVE players, it's just that you won't get anything more than a popularity contest if the only question asked is the extremely subjective "which one is the best?". With a little more extensive rating system with criteria such as "lasting appeal? graphics? newbie experience?" EVE maybe wouldn't have come on top.

Now when it comes to the "best improved" (2 big free expansions in 2007) and "best sci-fi" (not much competition), I honestly think that EVE didn't steal the first place.

Disclaimer: I'm too an EVE player. No, I didn't vote.

• FlummoxedFlummoxed Member Posts: 591

Spike TV and G4... bwahahahaha.  nuff said.

as for Eve, seems like it's the Ron Paul of mmogs, the handful of fanatical fans love it and everyone else goes "wtf?"

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

Originally posted by PegasusJF

My reply is this, other communities are free to do the same, and you have no proof on the precentage of active MMORPG.com members voting for EVE as opposed to "vote-only" accounts.
    If you want to see EVE taken down from it's throne next year, start campaigning for it's competitors.

I agree, I'm a regualr poster here and I don't play EVE currently. However, i did vote for it in several of the catagories because I recognize that it is a well designed game and deserved, in my opinion, a few of the awards.

Other companies also advertise to come vote on here as well. For example, SOE did for their EQ2 expansions with this announcement:

http://eq2players.station.sony.com/news_archive_content.vm?month=current&id=1488

"MMORPG.com 2007 Award Nominations!

EverQuest II has been nominated for Best Fantasy, Best Overall Game and Best Paid Expansion for the 2007 Reader's Choice Awards on MMORPG.com! The nominations were decided by the Editorial Staff at MMORPG.com, consisting of Managing Editor Jon Wood, Community Manager Laura Genender and News Manager Keith Cross based on the performance of various games throughout 2007. Before you head out for the holidays, head over there and show your EverQuest II spirit! "

To me it just seems EvE players are more loyal to their game and make sure to vote for it whenever this comes up. If other communities rallied together to get the word out when these awards appear, maybe they can beat EVE.

Congrats to all the winners this year, well done.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680

Originally posted by Flummoxed

Spike TV and G4... bwahahahaha.  nuff said.
    as for Eve, seems like it's the Ron Paul of mmogs, the handful of fanatical fans love it and everyone else goes "wtf?"
    LoL Your just bitter that your game lost in a popularity contest.

Next year learn to promote the award more in your community and who knows your buddies might take time off raiding for that usless shiny raid gear to actually vote for there game here.

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

• rvjones10rvjones10 Member UncommonPosts: 100

There is no point wasting your time argueing the results of this poll. IT'S A POLL!!!! . It has no bearing a how good a game is or is not. The results are based on popularity which in turn are based on player base. WOW wins because it has a wide player base across all age groups and is a heavily marketed main stream game.  Its all up to the taste of the player as to which game suits their interest and playing style.  Its a popularity contest first, end of story.  So if you enjoy playing games that did not end up on top of this list (as I do),  then this poll really doesn't  matter now does it?  To each his own.

• PegasusJFPegasusJF Member Posts: 268

Originally posted by rvjones10
    There is no point wasting your time argueing the results of this poll. IT'S A POLL!!!! . It has no bearing a how good a game is or is not. The results are based on popularity which in turn are based on player base. WOW wins because it has a wide player base across all age groups and is a heavily marketed main stream game. Its all up to the taste of the player as to which game suits their interest and playing style. Its a popularity contest first, end of story. So if you enjoy playing games that did not end up on top of this list (as I do), then this poll really doesn't matter now does it? To each his own.

Heh, it is kind of fun though, this year's thread seems pretty tame compared to other years. Plus, when MMORPG.com did a re-review of EVE (an 8.3) there was a total firestorm thread in the pub forum.

A little crazy sometimes, but certainly entertaining!

• HinterHinter Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by Agent_X7

I think you actually missed the point, and then claimed it wasn't there. The point is this: Certain communities of people descend on this site every time their pet game is up for some sort of award. They aren't really readers, because they never come here other than to vote for their game.

There is a difference between people who do not read mmorpg.com, and those who rarely post here but read it often.

I joined mmorpg before you did, dear Agent_X7. But I post here very rarely.

IMHO, EVE deserves the titels it won. I tried out many mmorpgs, but EVE is the one I stuck with. Still having fun playing it, and it has been 4 years now. If you had asked me before I knew EVE if I could enjoy ANY game for so long, I would quite frankly have said no.

To me, EVE has more magic to it than the most powerful sorcerer in any fantasy game.

"EVE Online is, without question, the most immersive, vast and incredible online gaming experience I've ever had" says Peter Cohen from macworld in a recent review about EVE.

I agree.

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

Eve online and there fanbois always abuse these things I remember when Eve was struggling bad the DEVS of that game posted on there forums encouraging ppl to go vote it up high here thats how it was ranked so high for so long.Eve online may be a stable game but its crap and certainly not worth of best mmo award no doubt about it.I can name 4-5 thats better gameplay wise than eve but thats what fanbois do they go and make the numbers high so they do win while most of us are actually playing a game we enjoy.

• FluterExFluterEx Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Godofslaught

You are both right and wrong.  Yes EVE players probably descend upon this and other sites to vote for there game, but only because we are the hardcore gamers that would have voted whether or not we play EVE.  Stop bashing EVE, or EVE players simply because the community is motivated enough to vote for their game.  I think it says something about the other games' communities, that they didn't turnout enough voters to overtake EVE in any of the categories it competed in.  Perhaps EVE is just that good....

Thats exactly what i wanted to say . It seems that most of the people that play other games dont care about the games that they play but we EVE players know what great game we have and we actually care about it.

• FluterExFluterEx Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by rznkain

Eve online and there fanbois always abuse these things I remember when Eve was struggling bad the DEVS of that game posted on there forums encouraging ppl to go vote it up high here thats how it was ranked so high for so long.Eve online may be a stable game but its crap and certainly not worth of best mmo award no doubt about it.I can name 4-5 thats better gameplay wise than eve but thats what fanbois do they go and make the numbers high so they do win while most of us are actually playing a game we enjoy.

I think u dont know what your talking about. I started playing online games about 10 years ago and EVE is simply the best looking and most complex MMO ive played. And im gonna tell you why i like EVE so much, for example Guildwars looks nice its pretty easy to play but you cant do much other stuff then fighting. Im not gonna say much about WoW i played it for about 6 months and its just boring. The difference between EVE and most of the other MMOs is that it actually needs skill to be played. You cant just jump in, play and then leave, Im playing EVE for 7 months now and i still havent seen and done everything that you can do in EVE. And another thing is that EVE actually changes, If you played EVE 3 years ago and left you can come back now because it changed alot and this year its going to get even more new stuff ( Project Ambulation aka Full body Avatar). If you want a game that doesnt change and where you dont need skill to play, you cant paly EVE. If you want a game where u need to think before you do your next step ( because someone could blow you up within the next second) and that evolves with every expansion ( because with every expansion you actually get new ways to play EVE not just new items) then you can play EVE. And one more thing: U cant blame the EVE-community for voting for their game.

• LordmonkusLordmonkus Member Posts: 808

Yup that's what Eve fanbois do is they go around and make the numbers high while you are playing your game. You know it took a whole 5 minutes to fill out the voting right ? You mean to tell me your game community couldn't scrape together enough people to outvote the whopping 200k account player base that Eve has ? I don't remember seeing any posts made by CCP to come vote. I knew about the vote from MMORPGs newsletter and I came and voted, and while I didn't go looking for a way to cheat the vote I didn't see any way to cheat it either (although I could be completely wrong on that).

Name 4-5 games with better gameplay if you please. I would love to know about these so called 'better gameplay' games. You do realize better is a very subjective term when comparing totally different types of games right ? If we were comparing say WoW to LOTRO then you could say one is better than the other but when you are talking about Eve you cannot, simpley because there is nothing else on the market like Eve. So you may be able to list 4-5 other games that 'YOU' would rather play but you cannot say they are 'better'.

Sounds to me like you are just sore that your favourite game didn't win so all you have left is to bash Eve and its players.

I think what the real story here is that there are lot of people out there that may not necessarily play Eve but are smart enough to recognize that Eve is a great game and deserves its vote for MMO of the year again. I personally know people like this, they don't play Eve simpley because it isn't their type of game for whatever reason but they do know its an amazingly well done game.

A big congratz to CCP for proving a small independent game company game beat out the giants of the industry like Blizz and EA.

• rshandlonrshandlon Member Posts: 173

Eve Online is a very good game, but to say it was the best is far from the truth.  There should have been a category for Hardcore game of the Year, that is what Eve was.  Also, this site caters to the hardcore players in its attraction and that is how Eve wins quite often.  Games like WoW and LoTRO get bashed here all the time even though they are regularly more popular by far in the general market.  Eve has also had major scandals that keep it in the minds of voters, while other games trod along peacefully and are run consistently.

This site does cater to Eve Online quite a bit and if you notice, quite a majority of the active posters are Eve players, many gamers have no clue this site even exists.  If you went into WoW or LoTRO and mentioned this site, most of them would not even know it existed.  This is part in reason why I appreciate the new ratings/standings categories that MMORPG.com added to the front page. so that you can actually see how many hits a game is getting and how truly popular they are.

The awards were pretty accurate this year, though I do agree that Eve should not have won game of the year.  With the performance and class that Turbine showed in their release, I would have said they would have won easily.  But then this is a site that loves to bash popular games so in the end they didn't have a chance and the closest competitor actually won

• Krzy5iuKrzy5iu Member Posts: 17
    Personally I think the results are complete crap. I can't believe that eve-online players would come here and vote for their game! Who do they think they are?
  • LordmonkusLordmonkus Member Posts: 808

Popularity does not mean better. If that were the case then music like The Spice Girls and Britney Spears would be considered some of the greatest music of all time. Just like the Nintendo Wii is NOT the best game system out there but it most certainly is the most popular and the PS3 while being the least popular is technically the best system out there hardware wise.

The vote was for 'Best' game not 'Most Popular'.

Now while I will not say that WoW and LotRO are bad games because they most certainly are not. I played WoW for about 3 years and I even tried out LotRO and from what I saw it was just WoW with different textures. Once you have levelled and done all the casual friendly content in WoW it becomes a boring tedious farm game unless you are fortunate enough to be in a decent raiding guild but event hen you farm the raid instance.  Sure you can farm in Eve if you want to but then that gets boring fast just like any other game. But in WoW for instance once you have done the casual content at level 70 you are either going to farm a raid instance for random loot which you may or may not get or you are going to farm honor and arena points for PvP oriented gear. I'm sorry but running one raid instance for  several months just to gear up to farm the next instance to again farm the next instance in the progression train is not my idea of fun.

Where Eve shines is in the fact that you do not need to be a hardcore player to get in on some action since there isn't a set number of raid slots available and only to certain classes. I don't ever remember being told I could not go along to a POS battle because the raid was full or my class wasn't needed. You can train while offline and log in for an hour or 2 and get in on the pvp and log out again when you want instead of being in a 5-6 hour long raid if you are lucky enough to be a needed class to fill a 25 man raid spot. Also there are no raid instance reset timers like in WoW locking you out of content for 7 days to prevent you from progressing through the content 'too fast'.

I returned to Eve and joined a 0.0 PvP focused corp and it's the most fun I have had in the game since I signed up the first week it was available. I can log in for a couple of hours, shoot and some shit and log out again when I need to. On top of all that the PvP in Eve actually means something unlike in WoW where it is totally meaningless outside of the honor / arena points farm. The PvP in WoW certainly can be fun at times but also can be very frustrating when you know that as class A you will not be able to beat class B when gear and skill are equal and there is nothing you can ever do to change that without rerolling to class C to counter class B but then class A or D will win. In Eve all I have to do is jump into a different ship or fit a couple of different modules and be totally effective.

• trentonxtrentonx Member Posts: 147

you have a better space sim with tactical space warfare that has 200,000 people playing!?!?!

please post link!

I've always wanted to try out a game with better gameplay like eve!

• trentonxtrentonx Member Posts: 147

Originally posted by Krzy5iu

Personally I think the results are complete crap. I can't believe that eve-online players would come here and vote for their game! Who do they think they are?
    yup yup

I think the EvE community is full of hardcore mmorg fans. While games like WoW are filled with  WoW fans.

So people that play eve really liek to come to this site and read all the time. the eve-o forums will have links to interesting articiles about other games in the out of pod all the time. We might not like WoW but even in game we talk about new mmorpgs all the time.

this is 100% true however I think you'll find it to be a good jugde on the topic.

I for one voted for a different game :P don't tell the others! But with most of the just core votes being people that play eve and other MMORPGs then yes most of them would vote for EvE.

my point was maybe all those WoW players don't come here because they don't give a shit about any other MMORPG so why go to a site about other mmorpgs?

And yes there was a post on the WoW forums about this contest, but I don't see them here.

• vickykolvickykol Member UncommonPosts: 106

Amazing, it took around 20 posts before someone made a swipe at SOE about SWG and the NGE.  People must be slacking.

I think that I missed the voting, but I pretty much agree with the top choices.  I am surprised that so many people voted for LOTRO -- since the servers seem pretty dead to me, I assumed everyone gave up on it (I think that three people from my kinship/guild logged on in the past month).  Of course, the competition was pathetic.

We may have seen the end of the golden age of new MMORPGs.  It seems that the new games are more like flat soda these days.  I know that everyone is eagerly awaiting AoC and WAR, but if they turn out anything like the anticipated games of the past two years (a little over a year ago people were talking about which was going to be bigger and bring down WoW, Vanguard or LOTRO, the way people talk about AoC and WAR now), we will all be waiting eagerly for 2009 and whatever is going to be "the next big thing."