Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Hands-On Report

124»

Comments

• andmillerandmiller Member Posts: 374

My G*d in heaven.....does that say 137 hours played this week???!!! 

• KedoremosKedoremos Member UncommonPosts: 432

Originally posted by whitedelight

Originally posted by mindspat

Originally posted by Shoal
    Because, you know that Mythic is not going to drop the ball on WaR.
    Sarcasm at its best!

When you take into consideration that Electronic Arts controls Mythic, dissapointment becomes a synonymous statement. 

Only reason I have no intent to bother with War Hammer is specifically due to the extreme amount of craptastic games EA has rushed out inorder to exploit the consumer video game market.  And their sequals are the best!

EA/Mythic might have something with the new mmo although the track record is enough cause to lend caution.

Of course, we could also over analyze Funcom's initial release sucess with Anarcy Online.  ;)

I think Age of Conan could be great and I'm glad theve pushed the release date back to march of 2008.  As with someone else who said it, pushing it back a little further to ensure an open environment of availble content would be better, unless it already has the content.

Ahh, the uninformed! EA is helping fund the game but they aren't actually touching the project at all, as has been stated over and over by the developers. 

You've played the WAR beta 91 hours already this week? I guess you like it.

Life of an MMORPG "addict"
    For 7 years, proving that if you quote "fuck" you won't get banned.

• QilikatalQilikatal Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by whitedelight

To be honest, hitting random buttons would make it so that you do not leave a pattern which would make the mob not be able to predict where to place his shield.
    Haha.."to be honest". I do not understand why people say that when they speak of a subject like that. As if it will make their arguements any more valid. You are grasping at straws here man and it looks really sad.

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236

Wow, after reading this report it seems they've really cut back on their original design.  I mean they went from only directional attacks and combos, to having abilities, and now they have three directions you can attack, and the way to do combos is to use an ability and then press the appropriate direction.

I guess the feedback from the beta testers indicated that the combat system really needed to change.  I didn't think they would change it this much after they said "minor tweaks were needed only."  These seem far from minor, and completely change the game's combat.

I think they're making steps in the right direction.  It sounds much more evolutionary than revolutionary now which is a good thing. 

Also I noticed that you now select your enemy instead of just hitting whoever is in your path.  I'm sure that was something that also turned out to be great on paper but bad in action. 

The defense indicators on the enemy is a really cool thing, but how is this going to translate to PvP?  Seems like only a PvE thing.

Also, after reading this it seems that the game is very much a PvE game, with the guild keeps and CTF style PvP as an extra.  At least that's how it comes across to me. 

Which isn't a bad thing, it's just tons different than what they were originally saying.  It looks like the game is evolving nicely into something that a lot of people will love to play.  Though I'm sure that the hardcore PvPers that were in love with the hack and slash style are going to cry rivers about the new style of combat.

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

• StrontyDogStrontyDog Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by checkthis500

Wow, after reading this report it seems they've really cut back on their original design.  I mean they went from only directional attacks and combos, to having abilities, and now they have three directions you can attack, and the way to do combos is to use an ability and then press the appropriate direction.
    I guess the feedback from the beta testers indicated that the combat system really needed to change.  I didn't think they would change it this much after they said "minor tweaks were needed only."  These seem far from minor, and completely change the game's combat.
    I think they're making steps in the right direction.  It sounds much more evolutionary than revolutionary now which is a good thing. 
    Also I noticed that you now select your enemy instead of just hitting whoever is in your path.  I'm sure that was something that also turned out to be great on paper but bad in action. 
    The defense indicators on the enemy is a really cool thing, but how is this going to translate to PvP?  Seems like only a PvE thing.
    Also, after reading this it seems that the game is very much a PvE game, with the guild keeps and CTF style PvP as an extra.  At least that's how it comes across to me. 
    Which isn't a bad thing, it's just tons different than what they were originally saying.  It looks like the game is evolving nicely into something that a lot of people will love to play.  Though I'm sure that the hardcore PvPers that were in love with the hack and slash style are going to cry rivers about the new style of combat.

They have changed their design from what was originally envisioned a little but that's due to listening to beta testers and implementing changes to make the learning curve a little less steep. The still have 5 directional attacks in the game but you start out at the early levels with only 3. The combos early on are a case of clicking the combo you want to activate first and then a highlighted direction but this will increase to a maximum combination of 5(iirc) directions later on in levels. They have also said that they intend to implement the defensive system for PvP also but at the moment it has only been implemented for PvE.

I definately havent read anything that would indicate that the game will be more PvE orientated than PvP. From what I have seen and read it seems that there will be plenty on offer in both respects and the guild wars in the border kingdoms and pvp in general will be a core part of the game and not a tacked on extra..

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

lol they were asked about the feud?  thats the funniest thing i have read all day

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

The 'feud' is kind of pathetic, to me. It is like watching sports fans spewing venom about rival teams. Chill out, folks.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • desj16desj16 Member Posts: 22

An interesting read. While the combat is not quite as in depth as it seemed it would be when AoC first surfaced, it seems like a nice change from your standard MMO combat.