Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PowerSupply

hardwarehelphardwarehelp Member Posts: 4

IM getting the AMD Black Edition 6400+ and some other somewhat good items. What kind of power supply should I get. I do not want to go all out. Im also getting the 8600 video card.

So anyone have a good guess as to how much id roughly need.

Comments

• DeathpooperDeathpooper Member Posts: 265

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

keep in mind, amps are important too. I would say 26+ amps is enough.

• AnzieAnzie Member Posts: 468

we don't know your budget, but corsair psu are great and they will never fail .

Also don't get the 8600 get 3850 it will beat the 8600 to dust  -> www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx

Originally posted by Spathotan
    The simplest way to put this, is like this. Buying a used/refurbished 360 is on the same plane as sharing a condom in a gangbang with strangers.
  • hardwarehelphardwarehelp Member Posts: 4

I need to know how much Wattage. like 500   600  700??  =)

• xxthecorexxxxthecorexx Member Posts: 1,078

Originally posted by hardwarehelp

it's gunna vary depending on how much shit you're gunna be running offa it. look at some manufactures web sites, one of them has a little configure thing, that you input your devices and it gives you a required wattage. i'd still add 100 or so to whatever they think you need.

..a guess... 850 should cover you.

• AnzieAnzie Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by hardwarehelp

use the link that deathpooper gave you -> www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

and I don't think you will need more than 600 unless that your going to be doing sli or cf

Originally posted by Spathotan
    The simplest way to put this, is like this. Buying a used/refurbished 360 is on the same plane as sharing a condom in a gangbang with strangers.
  • daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

UNless you are running a ton of hard drives, or sli/crossfire, you honestly don't really need more than 480 watts on the psu. Even with a hog of a vid card you won't need a gigantic psu (as long as you're only running one vid card.) You might want a little more juice available for the overclocking though, and extra cooling fans that you'll need if you OC. (assuming since you're buying the black edition that you'll be OC'ing the processor at least.)

I'd probably shoot around the 500watt range just to be sure.

There was a good PSU review on extremetech.com a bit ago that compared various psu's at different wattages.

Corsair is surprisingly solid. Antecs have always been a favorite. There's a few others out there, but I don't have a list off hand. I've always built with Antec power supplies, though I am using corsair on my personal stuff now, and usually Antecs on systems I build for people. (Antecs tend to run a bit cheaper for the lower end PSU's.)

D.

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869

One brand I would definitely check is pc power and cooling. They are a little pricey,  but should be able to handle any machine thrown at them. They do label the PSU's I've seen as sli-ready. Plus the shielding on the wires is the best I've ever seen on any pc I've owned.

• EcranomicalEcranomical Member Posts: 326

Originally posted by daelnor

UNless you are running a ton of hard drives, or sli/crossfire, you honestly don't really need more than 480 watts on the psu. Even with a hog of a vid card you won't need a gigantic psu (as long as you're only running one vid card.) You might want a little more juice available for the overclocking though, and extra cooling fans that you'll need if you OC. (assuming since you're buying the black edition that you'll be OC'ing the processor at least.)
    I'd probably shoot around the 500watt range just to be sure.
    There was a good PSU review on extremetech.com a bit ago that compared various psu's at different wattages.
    Corsair is surprisingly solid. Antecs have always been a favorite. There's a few others out there, but I don't have a list off hand. I've always built with Antec power supplies, though I am using corsair on my personal stuff now, and usually Antecs on systems I build for people. (Antecs tend to run a bit cheaper for the lower end PSU's.)
    D.
    I'm gonna have to disagree.

I would at least go with a 600. If you really don't want to upgrade for some time, or to just give yourself a little room for improvement get a 700.

• TenTailsTenTails Member Posts: 15

Anzie and Deathpooper have it right

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by TenTails

Anzie and Deathpooper have it right
    Agreed. These people who are advising 800W PSU's need their heads examined. I don't even need that with an OC'd quad and 8800GTX.

To the OP, don't wase your money on some of the PSU's you are being specced. A Corsair 520W would be more than enough for your needs.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

edit: I revise my earlier statement. I went back and reread the reviews for the PSU's...here's what they had to say:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/13271/20

For the lazy, some excerpts:

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W — The Silencer lives up to the hype surrounding PC Power & Cooling, and then some. This PSU just about has it all, including a five-year warranty, clean power delivery, dual 8-pin PCIe connectors, and a truly monstrous 12V rail. Despite using an old-school 80mm fan, noise levels are remarkably low, as well. Throw in the highest efficiencies we've seen and you have our second Editor's Choice recipient. A quality power supply is an investment, and even at around $170 online, the Silencer is a good one.

OCZ GameXStream 700W — With a $115 street price, the GameXStream delivers great value in terms of watts per dollar. Unfortunately, unless you're particularly partial to blue LEDs, there isn't much else to get excited about. In fact, the GameXStream's relatively low efficiency and high noise levels are a little disappointing. We can vouch for the GameXStream's reliability, though, and that counts for something. Just not quite enough.

Corsair HX 620W — Buying into a company's first stab at a new class of products is rarely a good idea, but Corsair's first entry into the power supply world is worth an exception. The enthusiast pedigree shows. With a five-year warranty, the best modular cables we've seen, dual 8-pin PCIe connectors, and among the highest efficiency results and lowest noise levels, the HX 620W is arguably the best all-around PSU of the lot. Overall goodness isn't cheap. In fact, it costs just about $140 online. We think the HX is worth every penny—and worthy of an Editor's Choice award.

Techreports editors choices: Corsair HX 620W
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W
    September 2007

Hope that helps.

D.