Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fury: Editorial - What Happened to Auran?

13»

Comments

• LvciferLvcifer Member Posts: 127

Im not going to say whether Auran/Fury is a fail/success game.

But the reason that I dont play Fury is because it requires a high end computer to play it smoothly, no im not talking about playing Fury in a bare minimum specs, the game will still load and runs slow.

Why do they create a game with a high specs anyway? they need to include a broader coverage of their target audience and most of us dont have a high end computers.

anyway thats my 2 cents

MyBrute = addicting mini online game!

• KraeneeKraenee Member Posts: 166

Quote:

"he problem is that while these hardcore players are numerous, there just aren’t enough of them to support an all-PvP game"

Hmm guess when a game like VG or DnL fail it must mean there isn't enough PVE people to support that niche as well?

give me a break! The game sucked case closed!

Hardcore!? So a person that would rather kill a player that is unpredictible and can offer a challenge than a bot that just runs around with a huge amount of hitpoints makes them hardcore? wow What do you call the people that sit up all night and grind the same mob over and over for hours on end just for the chance of it dropping some loot? Too me that is hardcore. And dumb as all hell

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Originally posted by Kraenee

Quote:
    "he problem is that while these hardcore players are numerous, there just aren’t enough of them to support an all-PvP game"

Hmm guess when a game like VG or DnL fail it must mean there isn't enough PVE people to support that niche as well?
    give me a break! The game sucked case closed!

Hardcore!? So a person that would rather kill a player that is unpredictible and can offer a challenge than a bot that just runs around with a huge amount of hitpoints makes them hardcore? wow What do you call the people that sit up all night and grind the same mob over and over for hours on end just for the chance of it dropping some loot? Too me that is hardcore. And dumb as all hell

Your logic fails. There have been PvE only successes. There have been no PvP only successes. There have been failures of both.

And your version of hardcore: "So a person would rather get 5 buddies and gank a helpless noobie who can't offer a challenge than a bot who can be programmed to be as hard as the developers want it to be. Wow, what do you call the people that sit up all night gate camping and grind the same poor noobs over and over for hours on end just for the chance of them having some loot? To me that is hardcore... And dumb as all hell."

All PvP I see outside of battlegrounds where teams are balanced at least in numbers is stupid griefing and ganking. I've not had a 1 on 1 pvp experience where both sides were even in any MMORPG that I can think of outside of WoW (where death wasn't a real issue).

• GormandYGormandY Member Posts: 411

They fucked up REAL bad, and I want all my money back... thats about all I can say.

• hellsonixhellsonix Member Posts: 8

They messed up a bit but they are trying I have to give them that.

This goes some way to compensating those that have been there from the start;

For our core players, some of whom have been around since Alpha or Beta, we have a reward for you all. You will all be made Immortals for life. This offer will also be extended to any new players that register their copy of the game before December 31st. This means that anyone with a “Hero” or “Immortal” account status on December 31 will be given Immortal status for ever (accounts will be updated Jan 3rd).

Taken from Bossmans latest 'State of the Game' post.

Now they just have to get rid of the ridiculous procs (luck factor) on the gear and I'm all ears again.

And for those who played in the past and had bad crashes etc, most of those problems have been fixed but I still wouldn't recommend playing Fury with less than 1 GB of Ram.

• nynnivanynniva Member UncommonPosts: 235

"the problem is that while these hardcore players are numerous, there just aren’t enough of them to support an all-PvP game"

---

I think its good of them to actually admit this.

We all hear the whining and crying that this article cited, the demand for full loot PVP games, or ffa PVP servers, but I think the failure of this game is pretty good evidence that just because they cry louder, does not mean that the people who desire this kind of gameplay are the majority.

From my experience, being a gamer for the last 20 years, from the time of text-based and through just about every major title release to the present, I think its safe to say that the "majority" (by no means all) of the people who desire this sort of gameplay tend to fall in a certain age bracket, thus the term "pvp kiddie" is particularly apt. Unfortunately, 14 year olds who like to kill helpless targets / disinterested parties / etc. don't pay the bills. Your older gamers, the people with jobs, are going to be the ones that shell out for subscriptions and/or item shop purchases.

Too often I've seen "PVP" servers with the absolute lowest populations of games that offer more than one ruleset. I don't think PVP should be eliminated entirely, but I think it has a time and place, and in a game that forces you to be vulnerable at all times to players 50 levels higher than you, I can quite clearly see why there isn't a lot of appeal.

This type of game was asked for and it was delivered, and yet here we are.

Gaming? That's not gaming!
    That's just people sat 'round in costumes drinking...

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

Originally posted by Ozmodan

And explain to me how DAoC can be considered a success?  Right, it is just another in a long line of failures.  It did have potential, but the developers sooned learned how to destroy any it had.
    I like pvp, I play Eve most of the time now, but I still pve in the game.   Fury's problem was quite evident in beta, it was a poorly designed game from the start.  Pretty easy to see why the market voted the way it did.  Without a dev staff there is just no way this game can become much better either.  Servers will be offline within 6 months if it takes that long.

DaoC was a success because of its RvR and decent PvE to compliment. If this is not apparent to you, then just look at recent titles, and their duplication of the RvR system. Your quote should read more like this,

"DaoC was a success, but ToA was a failure."

Then again, it is your opinon. But in the gaming world, DaoC was considered by alot of major companys to be a success. I for sure loved the game. Its population was really good in its haydays before WoW, and it had a awesome community. And im pretty sure almost everyone who played the RvR can contest to it being the one of the best, if not the best PvP system in a game. Also note that DaoC gave credibility to mythic in producing great games. This is why they were chosen to make probably the most popular upcoming game, Warhammer. And you just don't give that IP to any random company with a name unless they show quality.

P.S to a mmorpg admin : Any reason why spell checker is coming up with script errors. Will not allow me to use it. I'm running the latest version of IE.

• LokiCDKLokiCDK Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by raykor

Originally posted by heerobya

"The problem is that while these hardcore players are numerous, there just aren't enough of them to support an all-PvP game."

Very, very true. I feel that no matter how much a MMORPG player loves PvP, they still need to have the PvE option available, as well as other "standard" MMO systems like crafting, trade, etc.

Very, very false.  Unfortunately, I can't prove it because a well-made, PvP-only game has not been made.

I'm looking forward to trying Fury out still, I'm glad I didn't rush to buy it as it's going free-to-download.

And if anyone would like to see an example of a non warfare PvP-only success story, I suggest checking out a game called "GunZ Online"

I think conceptually Fury has more potential than some of the board writers here claim, though on the topic of "standard MMO aspects" it would be interesting to see a PvP only game like Fury implement something similar to the Saga of Ryzom craft/skill system. Which I still wish had done better with marketing.

Which is the other real issue in MMOs, many rely solely on the Online Advertising aspect, problem is, you're hitting a market already entrenched in their game of choice. The original EQ took off because they knew how to market it for the 1998 era. WoW took off, because Blizzard knew how to market it. I mean come on, endorsements from South Park AND Mr. T, you've got some serious non-standard gamer fare there to add clout to your game's momentum.

That's where the whole concept of the "sleeper title" comes from. A game, which was conceptually strong, had excellent game play, and maybe even a decent story, but without the major marketing budget the product just can't Fly; not everything about the game world is just For Fun.

Originally posted by hellsonix
    Now they just have to get rid of the ridiculous procs (luck factor) on the gear and I'm all ears again.
    And for those who played in the past and had bad crashes etc, most of those problems have been fixed but I still wouldn't recommend playing Fury with less than 1 GB of Ram.

If you take a moment to read the most recent releases at the fury website, they have indeed addressed the procs, reducing number of procs that can occur at once, and regulating the time between possibilities better.

Finally, I don't know any self-respecting gamers with less than 1GB out there anymore.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by LokiCDK

If you take a moment to read the most recent releases at the fury website, they have indeed addressed the procs, reducing number of procs that can occur at once, and regulating the time between possibilities better.

If you take a moment, you'll notice you've just necroed a thread from months ago.