Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: Kohnke Sues Perpetual

13»

Comments

• blkjagblkjag Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by Souvec

Originally posted by jinxit

Perpetual wont survive this law suit there already in huge trouble, key word "liquidation" says it all really and means the STO mmo shall enter limbo until another company comes along and breathes life into it.

From what it looks like right now, I hope another company will start over with the IP, and take it to another direction, one where no man (or dev) has gone before... and make an original game off a familiar IP.

I hope CME take this over.. they got their act together - i going to say one MMO for the SCI-Fi, that allows us sci fan to have what we want.  a true sci-fi MMO - SGW (STARGATE WORLD)  just move up to the top of list for me.

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819

Originally posted by Graff

Yeah! Now let's give this license to an experienced developer with some great games under its belt, like uh... Bethesda!!! Uh.... SOE!.... Uh.... EA? Er... help me out? Who could pick it up exactly who isnt already snowed under making one of their own? :s bah, STO is dead.

Derek Smart perhaps?

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by JK-Kanosi

I think this is great news for Star Trek MMORPG fans across the globe. Hopefully Star Trek's license will now be pulled and given to a more competent company.

Don't think it will happen anyttime soon. The litagation will hold the IP in Limbo for the next 5-10 years possibly longer depending on how well a job PE does fighting the case (or has done murkying the waters)  Very unlikely this will be resolved in 3 years or less IMO. So if PE does die with this. then kiss the IP goodbye for a good long time. (even once legalities are settled "once bitten twice shy", it would be unlikely anyone would jump on it)

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Originally posted by Oculitus

Yeah! Now let's give this license to an experienced developer with some great games under its belt, like uh... Bethesda!!! Uh.... SOE!.... Uh.... EA? Er... help me out? Who could pick it up exactly who isnt already snowed under making one of their own? :s bah, STO is dead.
    Obsidian perhaps?   Or Carbine?

Hey, Valve would make for an interesting MMO developer, despite the previous FPS focus.  Just brainstorming here.

With all due respect Obsidian  couldn't make a good game to save their lives. They are too busy buying decent IP's off Bioware and then making buggy rushed out the door half complete games with them to make a quiick buck for Atari. (NWN2, Kotor 2) Can't think of the last decent game Obsidian made. K /rant off.

Will just point out  there is a legal battle set to go on. it will not be resovled in a day, a week, or even a year. STO is going to sleep for a long time. Hopefully someday it will make it back to seeing the light of day. Though i wouldn't hold my breath on it being anytime soon.

ie. Its dead Jim

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854

Originally posted by winter

Hey, Valve would make for an interesting MMO developer, despite the previous FPS focus.  Just brainstorming here.

With all due respect Obsidian  couldn't make a good game to save their lives. They are too busy buying decent IP's off Bioware and then making buggy rushed out the door half complete games with them to make a quiick buck for Atari. (NWN2, Kotor 2) Can't think of the last decent game Obsidian made. K /rant off.

Will just point out  there is a legal battle set to go on. it will not be resovled in a day, a week, or even a year. STO is going to sleep for a long time. Hopefully someday it will make it back to seeing the light of day. Though i wouldn't hold my breath on it being anytime soon.

ie. Its dead Jim

Give me a T !

Give me a U !

Give me a R !

Give me a B !

Give me an I !

Give me a N !

Give me an E!

Ra ra ra !

• OculitusOculitus Member Posts: 203

Originally posted by jinxit

Originally posted by winter

ie. Its dead Jim

Give me a T !

Give me a U !

Give me a R !

Give me a B !

Give me an I !

Give me a N !

Give me an E!

Ra ra ra !

Turbine already used their "crap-on-a-beloved-license" ticket.  No more for them.

Anyway regardless of what happens, even if PE/P2 hangs on to STO through some bizarre act of God, I think we all know (or should) that STO won't be out for a long time.

• faefrostfaefrost Member Posts: 199

10 years at least. The IP license is now locked up in a lawsuit, which makes it pretty much poison for anyone else wanting to look at it, until all legal issues are resolved.

The only hope is that given the relatively small $$$ numbers involved, Paramount themselves may step in, pay everybody off to go away, and reclaim the property cleanly themselves.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

It is amazing how these people got any money to start making G&H in the first place. Let alone somehow win the STO license...

Hey, they're making SOE look good even to some of the haters, and that takes some serious effort.

I hope paramount pulls out of their deal with PE/P2, I suspect they'd have the legal code for doing so for 'underperforming' or some other vague legal term. Would have been a smart thing to do.

If they could pull out the license and sell it to someone else quickly, we might see a STO game in 5 years (not joking, it takes about that long now, unless you're making a YAAMMO (Yet another asian mmo) where cut and paste and bad hairdo's rule.

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

Originally posted by eric_w66

It is amazing how these people got any money to start making G&H in the first place. Let alone somehow win the STO license...
    Hey, they're making SOE look good even to some of the haters, and that takes some serious effort.
    I hope paramount pulls out of their deal with PE/P2, I suspect they'd have the legal code for doing so for 'underperforming' or some other vague legal term. Would have been a smart thing to do.
    If they could pull out the license and sell it to someone else quickly, we might see a STO game in 5 years (not joking, it takes about that long now, unless you're making a YAAMMO (Yet another asian mmo) where cut and paste and bad hairdo's rule.
    http://platformpublishing.station.sony.com/

Since SOE was handling the marketing and publishing, some of the stink has rubbed off on them as well. Considering they are still promoting a dead game 2 months after it was cancelled, I would say SOE is looking pretty stupid.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by Samuraisword

http://platformpublishing.station.sony.com/

Since SOE was handling the marketing and publishing, some of the stink has rubbed off on them as well. Considering they are still promoting a dead game 2 months after it was cancelled, I would say SOE is looking pretty stupid.

Maybe that explains the totally borked PotBS distribution................................SOEs' backlogged 2 months. Maybe they'll get the pre-orders out by March, then.

I have to say, that is fricken' hilarious.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

"Promoting" means spending cash. Not changing a website for a while isn't promoting.

If anyting, SOE lost money to them too, I doubt that PE paid them anything for the little bit of promoting they DID do.

• DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449

Well that is because Gods and Heroes is on "indefinite hold," and will be released sometime in the near future.  Well maybe future...  or far future.... well, maybe never, but that's not the point. 

Hey look! There's a Stealth Fighter flying overhead...

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

"Promoting" means spending cash. Not changing a website for a while isn't promoting.
    False. Being paid or not has nothing to do with the definition.

pro·mote      /pr??mo?t/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pruh-moht] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–verb (used with object), -mot·ed, -mot·ing.
    1. to help or encourage to exist or flourish; further: to promote world peace.
    2. to advance in rank, dignity, position, etc. (opposed to demote).
    3. Education. to put ahead to the next higher stage or grade of a course or series of classes.
    4. to aid in organizing (business undertakings).
    5. to encourage the sales, acceptance, etc., of (a product), esp. through advertising or other publicity.
    6. Informal. to obtain (something) by cunning or trickery; wangle.

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854

Originally posted by Samuraisword

False. Being paid or not has nothing to do with the definition.

pro·mote      /pr??mo?t/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pruh-moht] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–verb (used with object), -mot·ed, -mot·ing.
    1. to help or encourage to exist or flourish; further: to promote world peace.
    2. to advance in rank, dignity, position, etc. (opposed to demote).
    3. Education. to put ahead to the next higher stage or grade of a course or series of classes.
    4. to aid in organizing (business undertakings).
    5. to encourage the sales, acceptance, etc., of (a product), esp. through advertising or other publicity.
    6. Informal. to obtain (something) by cunning or trickery; wangle.

Number six

nuf said....

• dcsndcsn Member Posts: 7

To make the mixture even better, startrek.com is being closed down and all the staff related to the website is being dismissed, permanently.

More info at the source of the information

http://slashdot.org/articles/07/12/16/229238.shtml

Another "great franchise" busted with bad planning and suckind developers (swg, matrix online...)

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by dcsn

To make the mixture even better, startrek.com is being closed down and all the staff related to the website is being dismissed, permanently.

More info at the source of the information

http://slashdot.org/articles/07/12/16/229238.shtml
    Another "great franchise" busted with bad planning and suckind developers (swg, matrix online...)
    CBS shut down startrek.com. It was ageneral Trek site, not an ST:O site.

Still sucks, though.

• KyotaKyota Member Posts: 11

All I can say is I hope to god SOE don't pick it up.. And I was soooo looking forward to playing a Klingon SO.. ahh well

Don't get me wrong I still continue to play and support SWG and I'm a pre-CU Elder but, SONY have a real tendency to destroy things. I think the reason we all believe we will never see this game go live is its something we wanted..

Its not exactly the same but we've been waiting how long for Fallout 3 or a Fallout MMO .. just goes to show the point.. STO will likely not be taken up within the next 3 years, most other companies have their own projects going at the moment. I'd say if it is taken up the earliest we'll see it is 2011.

Not being American I have no idea how your judicial system works in these cases, but I hope PE are made to pay for Kohnke's expences. I love people that do MMO's but I don't think any company should be above the law and justice..  Or maybe Kohnke can send their own justice... ie Bob.. and his sledgehammer. ;)

Anyways my 2 creds worth.

• AtrayoAtrayo Member UncommonPosts: 64

Those mentioning that this will take 3 to 5 years before it reaches litigation in the courts regarding the civil suit against PE. Most likely like the bulk of these lawsuits they get settled out of court in some sort of plea bargaining.

In some indirectly related news from CBS which Paramount is involved. I'm hearing that the website of "StarTrek.com" will be pulled shortly. They're saying the site has been online for 13 yrs and was a major community hub.

Linky to the story posted 12/17 at Razorwire over at Warcry:

http://razorwire.warcry.com/news/view/79977-CBS-shuts-down-Startrek-com-after-13-years

----------------------
    The Older Gamers