Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Computer

Gamer_17Gamer_17 Member Posts: 202

Just looking for a new computer and wondering if anyone would be able to tell me if this computer will be good enough to play games like lotro and soon WAR on higher end settings?

Product Details

Web Code: 10095892
Mfr. Part Number: GT5232ERA
Processor Type AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Dual Core
Processor Speed 2.2GHz
RAM 2048MB DDR2
Hard Drive 200GB 7200RPM SATA II
Optical Drives 16X DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 7300LE With TurboCache
Available Expansion Bays 2 x 3.5", 1 x 5.25"
Available Expansion Slots 1 x PCI Slot
Cache 2 x 512KB L2
Disk Drive No
Fax/Modem 56K V.92
I/O Ports 7 x USB 2.0, 2 x FireWire (IEEE 1394)
Included Software None
Monitor Included? No
Network Card 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN
Other Control Devices Not Provided By Manufacturer
Preloaded Operating System Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
Sound Card Not Listed
Speakers Yes
System Bus 2000MHz

Thanks alot

Comments

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

Hope you don't pay too much for that.  Also it probably won't play LotRO that well because of the Video Card.  The 7300 is a super cheapo version.  So it will probably run bad cause of it.  I would aim at getting a much better vid card.

• OrthedosOrthedos Member Posts: 1,771

IF you are working on a new computer, get a decent GPU.  7300 is awefully weak for 3D, and that is what makes gaming tough on that setup.

In as much as I am using AMD in my systems, I would suggest considering Intel now.  AMD was good back then but now ...

• DracisDracis Member Posts: 434

Just for the heck of it, I Googled that web code (Google is my friend ) and no, do not buy it. Unless you are absolutely in dire need of a computer, DO NOT buy it !! For one it's refurbished from Best Buy. Do not trust them, they have one of the worst return policies in the industry.

If you need to go cheap, Dell (I can't believe I'm recommending this), yes Dell, sells refurbished computers. You could even get a decent brand new one for about $250 more from Dell right now. One that would be upgradeable, would last longer and would make you much happier in the long run as well as running the games you want.

Absolute bottom line, if you're getting a new computer, you should go for the Nvidia 8000's video card. They've come down in price and are much better than most anything out there. There may be a ATI comparible, but I prefer Nvidia. I prefer Intel chips, but I do have one AMD and I've been happy with it, but that's your preference.

If you need a link to Dell, or just some general advie, PM me and I'd be happy to help.

• DirossDiross Member Posts: 179

If you provide the specs on the below, we shoule be able to give you more informed feedback on the system. 

• CPU - Processor Model Number
    • Motherboard manufacturer & model number
    • RAM (Brand name plus if it's buffered or unbuffered)

I'd certainly not go with the 7300 LE video card there, rather if you are on a budget and don't expect to be playing DirectX 10 games anytime soon, go with a 7600 GT (minimum) or 7950. If you are looking to play DX10 games, get an 8800 GT with 256MB memory on it. Games are all about video performance these days.

It looks like the info you have is for Best Buy sale:   http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10095892&catid=20217&test%5Fcookie=1

Eve-Online, EQ2, DnL, SWG (Dead), Guild Wars, Anarchy Online, EQ, DAoC, Planet Side, WoW, LOTR, Tabula Rasa.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Ouch. what is your price range? You should be able to do much better than that.

Everyone else has already said everything I was going to say.

If you can spend $600 to $700 dollars I can build you a rig that is way better than that beast.

D.

• Gamer_17Gamer_17 Member Posts: 202

Thanks for your reply's my price range is around 600 to 900$ and i was just wondering about that computer because it was so cheap (379$). i am looking for a good gaming computer but as for the video card i never seem to see a better one than that because most people don't need a high end video card unless they play games. so if anyone can tell me where i can get a good solid gaming computer for my price i would apreciate it.