Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My new Computer (Comments please!)

xpyrofuryxxpyrofuryx Member CommonPosts: 1,587

Im building a new computer, give me your input on it please!

here it is:

AMD Phenom X4 Agena 9500 Quad-Core (OCd)

4Gb (4x1Gb) DDR2 800mhz Crucial Ballistix

2x Crossfire VisionTek ATI Radeon HD3870s 512mb (4x later on)

MSI Platinum AMD 790FX Socket AM2+

74Gb Western Digital RaptorX 10,000rpm S-ATA

320Gb (2x160Gb) Western Digital Caviar SE16 SATA

OCZ GameXstream 600watt ATX Power Supply

Asus CD/DVD 48x/20x Burner/Reader S-ATA

ThermalTake CPU cooler Blue Orb

Apevia X-Cruiser black ATX Mid Tower What you guys think?

Comments

• xpyrofuryxxpyrofuryx Member CommonPosts: 1,587

Sorry, the thing was messing up

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

You might need a better power supply since your planning for 4x 3870.  I would suggest something in the 800+watt range.  Also on your HD setup, you might be overspending.  Personally I would get 2 small drives at 7200RPM, like the ones you already picked and put them into RAID.  This will give you 2 times the data transfer rate, but it will also increase the chances of a hard drive failure.  So what you do is you put only programs on this drive, like windows and games.  Then put all the files you need to keep incase there is a HD failure onto another drive for storage.  Like your work documents, music, and stuff.  In this case I would drop the raptor and use a large HD.

Also the Thermaltake Blue Orb may look cool but it doesn't actually cool as well as other coolers.  You might wanna shop around a little longer for one.

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

Dont do that, unless you want a permanent 20% performance knock. AMD has announced and ackwoledged a problem with the Phenoms and delayed Barcelona again because of this. The xx50 Phenoms comming out Q1 of 08 will fix this issue. There is a BIOS "fix" for the processors, but all it does is diable buffering, which causes the processor to lose 20% of its power. Here is the full article...http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/35149/118/

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

/agree with waiting on the phenom processor.

Have you considered using a coolermaster cm 690 case? For the OC processor and multiple GPU's and raptor drive you're definitely gonna want a lot of cooling. The cm690 has a nice case fan set up, with spots for more fans, even an 80mm beneath the processor. It is also has premade ports for water cooling and bottom mounted psu.

You can get the case cheap too. Only downside is I don't think they have a clear side panel model, so if you like the flashy lights and stuff that is a small minus.

Oh..case also has 1394 and eSATA ports on top, plus a nifty little cable management system, even a 3/4 inch gap between the motherboard tray and side panel to hide wiring if you want it.

D.

• EcranomicalEcranomical Member Posts: 326

Where do you live...so i can rob you.

Pretty nice setup, but like Cleffy said, I'd go for atleast an 800W PSU. Since i built my comp, I haven't been on top of the CPU market, but Spathotan usually knows whats going on (computer engineer perhaps?).

• xpyrofuryxxpyrofuryx Member CommonPosts: 1,587

I think im gonna wait for the 9550. Its got B3 stepping along with the cache bug fixed.

• b0rderline99b0rderline99 Member Posts: 1,441

Christ how much are you spending on this?

and what are you upgrading from? sounds like you may have some anger at games not playing well like i did