Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

new laptop = epic failz

admjn65admjn65 Member Posts: 253

I've been shopping around for a new computer, and I decided on getting a laptop because I figure it will be more convenient then a desktop with school and such. 

So I was watching home shopping network and saw a gateway laptop with 160gb hard drive, 1 gig of DDR2 and vista premium + like $700 of software and the total package was $950 or something (with a free printer ).  That damned home shopping network got the better of me and I ordered it, and within 24 hours of operating the laptop it started crashing and restarting on its own and doing all sorts of weird shit. 

So I sent the gateway laptop back, feeling like an idiot having not read any reviews on it or anything before buying it.. however, I'm glad it's gone because I'm seeing laptops on sale at places such as best buy this time of year that are better then the one I ordered and are less expensive.

But basically, when it comes down to it, I'm seeking suggestions or advice on what to get.  My price range is no higher than $1000, however I'd like to not spend that much .  I just need something with enough space to hold all my music and video and be able to handle music recording software such as acid pro or pro tools.  I would like to continue gaming in my spare time, but I know a PC for half the price of a laptop can perform better in the gaming aspect.  I like the convenience and portability of a laptop, but is there one that can handle games like WoW and LoTRO with a large enough hard drive for all my music and still be in my price range?

(ps. I'm a musician so music is very important to me)

Comments

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I'm not much of a laptop guy, and man, I hate working on those things...but if you're looking to game on it, plan on spending a pretty penny. I think Dell just came out with a new one, Asus has a couple, Alienware also. Gaming laptops are hella expensive though.

I've worked on a handful of those Toshiba Satellites and found to my surprise that on the newer ones people were running auto cad and stuff, which is a pretty graphical intense program. Dunno if it could game though.

D.

• admjn65admjn65 Member Posts: 253

Yeah I think I'm actually starting to lean towards a desktop again, mostly for the gaming aspect.

I was actually really wanting to get a mac laptop for awhile... but the price range gets up there quite a bit.  I'm content with a decent $800 desktop.  I'm not concerned with having the best looking graphics, just something that can perform decently well while playing MMO's and can hold all my music files and software.

Time to keep shopping around, I'll find something nice hopefully :]

• OhaanOhaan Member UncommonPosts: 568

Yep if you want a laptop/notebook to do special apps like gaming then be prepared to buck up. Look at doubling your budget for a custom Dell or an Asus. Good luck and godspeed...

• JoshThorJoshThor Member Posts: 31

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220237

nice laptop from newegg, great price for the specs, with a good GPU too, so you could play probably any mmo at least decently if not great. im planning on getting one when i stop being poor

Games Played: Guild Wars, Runescape, World of Warcraft, RF online, Silkroad online, Knight online, Lord of the Rings online.
    what a rip, i got a warning for having a link on this signiture....>:(
    Games Waiting for: Gods and Heroes, Aion, Chronicles of Spellborn

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I thought about getting a laptop...I just can't justify it. There's no reason for me. At work, I have a computer, at home, I have a computer, if I'm not at either one of those, I'm spending time with my family. No reason at all to own a laptop for me.

D.

• admjn65admjn65 Member Posts: 253

How will this one hold up for gaming?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883107495

seems like a good deal to me but maybe it would need a better graphics card or something.

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

The 8600GT is a good mobile card. Couple that in a system with 2GB of ram and a Core 2 Duo and you have a preety damn good gaming laptop, you can find these from Dell, Sony, Toshiba, and ASUS for around $1200. A MacBook Pro with the 8600GT can play basically any game on the market at high-max settings running Vista in bootcamp, ive personally seen one handle Crysis quite easily....but those are $2400.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• b0rderline99b0rderline99 Member Posts: 1,441

laptop gaming is still fairly hard to pull of well unless you have really deep pockets.

the premade ones always will find some way to give you shit parts

• Thomas2641Thomas2641 Member Posts: 143

One absolutely SOLID piece of advice: if you buy something with Windows Vista, make sure it has at least 2 gigs of ram on it, og you will not even be able to run a text programme smoothly... And if you want to game, then a little more! Vista is very memory intensive, and the reason your previous labtop crashed was prolly because of lacking ram

• Hades_WarpigHades_Warpig Member Posts: 265

http://m-techlaptops.com/

My fav laptop company. Good prices, you need a decently good idea of what you want though. Im getting my laptop from there when i need one,