Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To Many Pirates...Perhaps?

As with any game that has a certain theme in it's name it's going to attract a large number of players to that particular race. e.g DarkEden is a 'Vampire Roleplaying Game' with Vampire slayers, the majority of players are Vampires)

My concern is that the 'cool' thing about Pirates is that they are small in number and still 'beating' the powers that be. However I think that if this game is overpopulated with Pirates it will ruin the euthenticity. Any thoughts?

Comments

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

What they should of done was had it so everyone had to pick a nationality and then play through it to become a pirate if they wanted. Either by questing or reversing faction to become targeted as a Pirate through killing and looting.

That way everyone who's playing will see that there is a reference of background that the person decided to go and be a Pirate. I think many will play a pirate more then the nationality choices.

• zabrakwithzabrakwith Member Posts: 62

You mean kind of what SWG did and make jedi a starting profession? It really ruins the Star Wars experience for me seeing a dozen 14 year old jedi dueling in the middle of a city saying "I pwned joo"

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

From what Ive read, there is no great advantage to being a pirate. As a matter of fact it will most likley be just the opposite.

As an example, if the pirates capture a nationals port they can only hold it for three days and then it reverts back to the original owner. They can build structures in those three days, but when it reverts back they (the pirates) have to pay an extreem tax. Which means the economy for pirates if going to always be undersupplied.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to do damage and have the best ships, be a Navy Officer.

If you want to craft and make lots of money, be a Freetrader.

If you want to be good at close range combat and grappling other ships, be a Privateer.

If you want a challenge, be okay at everything and good at nothing, be a Pirate. (oh yeah and broke all the time, be a Pirate)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have this feeling playing a pirate isnt going to be the easy class, its going to be for the hardcore, I like to be the underdog player. (which is a very small portion of mmo players)

And forcing people to play nationals just to unlock the pirate character...well, I have nothing nice to say about that, so I just wont say anything.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127
    Originally posted by Hokie

From what Ive read, there is no great advantage to being a pirate. As a matter of fact it will most likley be just the opposite.
    As an example, if the pirates capture a nationals port they can only hold it for three days and then it reverts back to the original owner. They can build structures in those three days, but when it reverts back they (the pirates) have to pay an extreem tax. Which means the economy for pirates if going to always be undersupplied.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you want to be good at close range combat and grappling other ships, be a Privateer.
    If you want a challenge, be okay at everything and good at nothing, be a Pirate. (oh yeah and broke all the time, be a Pirate)
     -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have this feeling playing a pirate isnt going to be the easy class, its going to be for the hardcore, I like to be the underdog player. (which is a very small portion of mmo players)

And forcing people to play nationals just to unlock the pirate character...well, I have nothing nice to say about that, so I just wont say anything.

That's not what we are talking about. We are talking about how many will be pirates. To many of them running around and makes the game feel like a pirate only game. Forget it if you can't see what I mean then you should of played SWG when there was to many jedis running around. As with this game a pirate should be harder to get to and be distinct.

• Vash216Vash216 Member Posts: 1

From what I heard, there is no limit to the numbers in a faction, though if a faction is outnumbered their economy is boosted to counter their small numbers. Making it slighlty more balanced.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by bezado

That's not what we are talking about. We are talking about how many will be pirates. To many of them running around and makes the game feel like a pirate only game. Forget it if you can't see what I mean then you should of played SWG when there was to many jedis running around. As with this game a pirate should be harder to get to and be distinct.

Yes, I have to admit I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

Are you under the assumption that pirates are over powered like Jedi were in SWG, and everyone will want to be one?

Or do you think that everyone will want to make pirate so they can call him Jack Sparrow, and name their ship the Black Pearl?

You'll have to explain why you think there will be to many pirates, and what you base it off?

Then you'll have to also explain why forcing people to play to level 50 as a national just to unlock a class that you then have to take to 50 also. How will make it rare or unique?

And to go further with your idea;  what kind of reward will you get for making level 50 as a pirate, which btw really equates to level 100. You'll have to give them something for their effort, or people wont bother to grind 100 levels. If if they wont bother why include the class anyway?

What FLS are planning to do is the smart thing.

Reread what I have bracketed above. Maybe you'll understand better. (and why I dont understand what you're trying to say)

Oh btw if you were unsure. Navy Officer= National, Freetrader= National, Privateer= National.

National= French, Spanish, English.

Or another way to put it, National= anything but a Pirate.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• PhosPhos Member Posts: 455

Originally posted by L.Dante
    As with any game that has a certain theme in it's name it's going to attract a large number of players to that particular race. e.g DarkEden is a 'Vampire Roleplaying Game' with Vampire slayers, the majority of players are Vampires)
    My concern is that the 'cool' thing about Pirates is that they are small in number and still 'beating' the powers that be. However I think that if this game is overpopulated with Pirates it will ruin the euthenticity. Any thoughts?

Does anyone here remember the old "Ultima" (NOT UO) method of "virtue" system? You answered a series of questions, and your answers determined what path you would play.

I liked that model. It would be nice if you could somehow have the ability to change affiliations throughout your life?

Example: You answer a series of questions or go through a series of tests in a noob-area at character development. The results determine which faction you will be with. As you continue playing your character, you have the power to change faction affiliations based on how you conduct yourself.

It could be a pretty good system.

- Phos

imageAAH! A troll fire! Quick, pour some Kool-Aid on it!!!

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

The fact that the word pirates is in the title to me indicates that they will indeed be the larger majority at first, but I think that the population will eventually balance out over time.

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• CropperCropper Member Posts: 198

Are you under the assumption that pirates are over powered like Jedi were in SWG, and everyone will want to be one?

Or do you think that everyone will want to make pirate so they can call him Jack Sparrow, and name their ship the Black Pearl?

You'll have to explain why you think there will be to many pirates, and what you base it off?

Then you'll have to also explain why forcing people to play to level 50 as a national just to unlock a class that you then have to take to 50 also. How will make it rare or unique?

And to go further with your idea;  what kind of reward will you get for making level 50 as a pirate, which btw really equates to level 100. You'll have to give them something for their effort, or people wont bother to grind 100 levels. If if they wont bother why include the class anyway?

Reread what I have bracketed above. Maybe you'll understand better. (and why I dont understand what you're trying to say)

Oh btw if you were unsure. Navy Officer= National, Freetrader= National, Privateer= National.

Agree, Nationals will have the advantages of flexability in career choices and in a group a wider variety of skills.  Plus, only Nationals will have access to the top tiers of crafting.  That means a Society (guild) of nationals can put a more diverse navy to water and equip it at cost as opposed to having to buy everything off the market. 

Personally I would rather play a pirate, but I found out my old guild will be moving to Potbs and everyone involved is very end game oriented (pvp and top end crafting) so I'll play a National and I'm sure many others are in the same boat (no pun intended) as me.

• LinnaLinna Member Posts: 387

Originally posted by Cropper

Agree, Nationals will have the advantages of flexability in career choices and in a group a wider variety of skills.  Plus, only Nationals will have access to the top tiers of crafting.  That means a Society (guild) of nationals can put a more diverse navy to water and equip it at cost as opposed to having to buy everything off the market. 

Personally I would rather play a pirate, but I found out my old guild will be moving to Potbs and everyone involved is very end game oriented (pvp and top end crafting) so I'll play a National and I'm sure many others are in the same boat (no pun intended) as me.

If you're OUR Cropper: don't worry. Prime focus may be national, but depending on what they'll allow, we'll either roll pirates alts on the same server or on another one.

=)

Linna 

<Fated>

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Ask me again at monday. ;)

But seriously, no, I can guarantee Pirates will not be a majority. There is enough evidence to show they have some weaknesses compared to the nations, so thats no secret.

Second, numbers isn't = strength. Often in faction PVP games nations with the few uber guilds rule a server, not those with the most number of players.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• eXizzLeeXizzLe Member Posts: 29

What games are you talking about?

• CropperCropper Member Posts: 198
    Originally posted by Linna

Originally posted by Cropper

If you're OUR Cropper: don't worry. Prime focus may be national, but depending on what they'll allow, we'll either roll pirates alts on the same server or on another one.

=)

Linna 

<Fated>

Lol, I'm not worried Linna, we've played like pirates in every game anyhow, it's as much a mentality as it is a career choice.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

It won’t make a difference if you play as a national or a pirate this game is doomed to fail, just reading the forums says it all. They have just bolted things into the game once they realised they had messed up. 

First it was just a ship game and after it took them so long to realise that it would become boring after a few days they decided to make avatars to get off the boat.  This should have been done from the off not half way down the line, so again a lack of vision from the designers.  Then another cock up they had to get us the community to design their boats because of their lack of funds and time.

So from where I am sat they won’t be getting any of my money for this product especially with so many other strong MMO’s about to hit the market early in 2008.  This is another reason they are trying like mad to get it out before AOC & WAR as they know they will be blown away by better produced games.  Hell they can not even get it in the shop in time for Christmas due to the fact that shops will not allow them the space when they can sell quality products which shift by the bucket loads.

This is just another boring product but with different bells and whistles you can not fool hard core MMO players sorry. 1/10 from me.

Asbo

• WoollyBullyWoollyBully Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by NightBandit

It won’t make a difference if you play as a national or a pirate this game is doomed to fail, just reading the forums says it all. They have just bolted things into the game once they realised they had messed up. 

First it was just a ship game and after it took them so long to realise that it would become boring after a few days they decided to make avatars to get off the boat.  This should have been done from the off not half way down the line, so again a lack of vision from the designers.  Then another cock up they had to get us the community to design their boats because of their lack of funds and time.

So from where I am sat they won’t be getting any of my money for this product especially with so many other strong MMO’s about to hit the market early in 2008.  This is another reason they are trying like mad to get it out before AOC & WAR as they know they will be blown away by better produced games.  Hell they can not even get it in the shop in time for Christmas due to the fact that shops will not allow them the space when they can sell quality products which shift by the bucket loads.

This is just another boring product but with different bells and whistles you can not fool hard core MMO players sorry. 1/10 from me.
    Oddly enough I have been reading theforums on burningsea.com for a while and I don't get that feel from them at all.

Also, I wouldn't consider the Player Content a "cock up" (I think I know what that means, but please excuse me if I misunerstand). From what I've seen on that topic, the community loves the idea of being able to contribute to the very fiber of a game.  I think it was a very smart move on their part.  Better than what Sigil did when they didn't have the funds and time left - release a game in horrible condition, IMO. (Please don't use the word "vision", it makes me shudder, thanks to Brad McQuaid)

Most of what you say sounds like speculation (and I'm still unsure which forum you are reading to get this info). Or is it first-hand experience with the game?

• RickSaadaRickSaada Senior Developer, POTBSMember Posts: 200

It's also rather inaccurate, if you've read any of my previous posts.  We've wanted to do avatar stuff since day one, but our original plan had us shipping the ocean combat first and adding avatar stuff later.  Then we watched what happened with SWG adding Jump to Lightspeed.  <Phhhhhht>.   Which convinced us that we really needed to have both pieces in place at day one, because adding a new form of combat/gameplay at a later date doesn't seem to get anyone new to come check you out (apparently once a gamer has written you off you can't easily win them back, or even get them to take a second look).   So we decided to bite the bullet, write the check, and do it all before shipping. 

And as other posters have said, the community *loves* to be able to contribute.  We had a reasonable selection of ships outselves, but with user help we now have a far richer selection than we would have had otherwise.  And some of the flags and sails designs are great.    Not surprisingly, when you put a peer review process in place it rather easily weeds out the obvious crap, profanity, and bart simpson heads that would otherwise get generated.  And considering the program has been running for *years* it's pretty hard to say it was due to lack of time.

As for our competitors, well, I'm just as happy *I'm* not releasing a game aimed at the WoW marketplace.  We're happy to allow AoC, WAR and the WoW expansion fight it out for the fantasy crown come next April.  We think there's room in the market for a much broader range of gaming genres than just high fantasy, and we're happy to help fill it.

Rick Saada - FLS Dev & EPFBM

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

Originally posted by NightBandit

It won’t make a difference if you play  bla bla bla bla...

Well one could actually beleive what you said if it actually were true, but alas your clueless and have no idea about the game. Generated player content was a chance for people to get involved, next thing you know everyone was doing it and the stuff coming out was great! So it got a life of it's own and this is the first dev team to EVER imbrass it's community as such then any other dev team out there. Get your facts streight. Finally the avatars, old news man, everyone that knows any bit of information about this game a few years back knows this point. Heck I was one of the "POTBS = vaporware" posters. The initial visions were fine, the final concept of lets release this then add was a doomed business concept. The team realized this and progressed to add more till release.

I followed this title a long time and definitly was a nay-sayer, now I defend this dev team and their game because it is a good game as is.(can be better, but all MMO's or any game can be ) So in the end , the game has shaped up pretty well. As far as laggy servers, stress test are done to test. Personally I think companies should stop holding open beta anything and just release at the end. All it does now is give flamers more flaming material. Sure I like to see a game before it goes live, but most with half a brain know it's not the final product. It's kids like you that say something with no clue on what they say other then the tibits they caught from the past to add to their forum counts. Get a clue, get a life and move on, know what you speak of before you speak it.

EDIT: my bad, i should add something to the topic at hand, I do beleive their will be pirates, but as myself I will be going french or spanish (really havn't decided on the final on that) and the trader proffession if it's a bit more viable then it currently is for launch. If not, probably standard military line. I hope for allot of pirates actually, will make the pvp action that more intense for me at least :) I do know allot of people not going the pirate rout at all, I think it will be ...

Pirates

Brits

Spanish

French

Order of more popular picks, but I know ALLOT more people currently going brit then pirate, so eh I think Brits and Pirates will be a close population match. The others will be the lesser of all, personally I am falling more to the French because it seems they are the very less played side and hey "someone has to make the grapes" :)

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• WoollyBullyWoollyBully Member Posts: 25

Now that the NDA is lifted, I feel safe to say: I was worried about this too.  From my experiences playing the beta for the last 4-1/2 months, it was not a problem. I don't know what the exact figures came to be, but they were not over-populated.  I think there was a fairly good balance to the game - with pirates having an edge in numbers if I remember. But it definitely did not feel like I was surrounded by them. Plenty of French and British to battle.

I think that the open beta will have more pirate characters though. That's just my feeling about open beta players in general, since they have a limited time to play for free. Naturally they would gravitate towards the concept of piracy.

BTW, avatars don't feel like they were bolted on at the last minute. Yes some tweaks are still being made, but that is the nature of MMOs.

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101

As NDA has now been lifted I want to say this.

The French are the most highly concentrated nationality, followed by the British, then Pirates and finally Spanish. I'll post a screen of the server selection where it shows population concentration.

• LinnaLinna Member Posts: 387

Originally posted by star.buck

The French are the most highly concentrated nationality, followed by the British, then Pirates and finally Spanish. I'll post a screen of the server selection where it shows population concentration.

According to the patch notes, there was a bug in the population stats that made the lowest population nation appear as Very High. That would be the French. So in fact, the order is French - Spanish - Pirates - British

=p

Linna

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101

According to the patch notes, there was a bug in the population stats that made the lowest population nation appear as Very High. That would be the French. So in fact, the order is French - Spanish - Pirates - British

=p

Linna

Ahahah, marvelous :P

I always read patch notes, but I guess I missed that. Silly me :P

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

=p

Linna

Ahahah, marvelous :P

I always read patch notes, but I guess I missed that. Silly me :P

The most important point in the entire topic is, that the number of players on each faction is of absolute ZERO important when it comes to PVP dominance. Spain rules the PVP battles and harbours, simply because they had one or two uber elite PVP-raid guilds. As the system is, the *number* of players isnt of any significance whatsoever. A fact you can either like (if you are elite guild player) or despair about.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert