Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hard drive help

LanmoragonLanmoragon Member Posts: 994

I got a new 500 GB hard drive as a gift, but it doesnt seem to want to work.  It is a SATA drive with the two L shaped connectors for power supply and data cables.  I currently have a smaller 160 gig SATA drive in my computer but it has different connecting ports, the power connecter is the 4 pin connector. 

When I plug in the new 500 gig HD everything seems to connect fine, but there is no visible or audible sign that the new HD is powering up, no vibration or sounds of spinning at all.

Could it just be a dead drive and I will have to ship it back for replacement?

Almost positive the HD is the one pictured here www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx

My motherboard is sorta dated now in terms of computer parts but it is and ASUS Sli board.  It says it can take the newer 3 gb/s SATA II drives.

I have tried messing with settings in the BIOS but really dont know all that much about BIOS settings.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• QazeQaze Member Posts: 247

Probably not the advice you're looking for, but IMO, if you want a good HDD you should get a really fast one, rather than one with loads of space.

I'm hoping to get two of these babies pretty soon.

Qaze - Atheist, Nihilist, Sadist.
    WinRAR.rar
    Mudkip Video

image Xfire= Qaze3000 - Add me if you're not a total retard.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by Lanmoragon

I got a new 500 GB hard drive as a gift, but it doesnt seem to want to work.  It is a SATA drive with the two L shaped connectors for power supply and data cables.  I currently have a smaller 160 gig SATA drive in my computer but it has different connecting ports, the power connecter is the 4 pin connector. 
    When I plug in the new 500 gig HD everything seems to connect fine, but there is no visible or audible sign that the new HD is powering up, no vibration or sounds of spinning at all.
    Could it just be a dead drive and I will have to ship it back for replacement?
    Almost positive the HD is the one pictured here www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx
    My motherboard is sorta dated now in terms of computer parts but it is and ASUS Sli board.  It says it can take the newer 3 gb/s SATA II drives.
    I have tried messing with settings in the BIOS but really dont know all that much about BIOS settings.
    Thanks for any help.

Make sure you have a power supply that can run the drive.  Don't overload the PS.  Next, make sure you have the drive mounted, and the pins connected correctly.

Keep your case open, when you turn your PC on, listen to the drive to find out if it is clicking on.

You can also try disconnecting your other hard drive and only connecting 1 at a time to test to see if it is turning on.

If it is

Go into the BIOS and see if it detects the hard drive

If not (or if it does but it doesn't show up as a full 500GB), find the Computer Manufacturer (or MB manufacturer) and download the latests BIOS Firmware. 

Install the Firmware *Carefully* if you screw this up, your PC could be toast.

If all is well, and it still does not detect it, you may as well send it back for a replacement.

Let me know if this helps.

• hardwarehelphardwarehelp Member Posts: 4

10k vs 7.2k?

does the 2.8 RPM make a Difference when you game or just run the PC?

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

10,000 RPM HD's shouldnt even be considered anymore. Seagates new 7200.11 drives are faster than Raptors, and of course offer much more space for the price.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

Sometimes the SATA power pin looks like its in all the way but it isn't.  Make sure its all the way plugged in because it should be obvious its not on for a couple of reasons.  Its not getter power, or its a dead drive.  I have no idea why everyone else posted comments on HDD when the OP already knew what was wrong with it.