Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth it to a dablo fan?

stabemzstabemz Member Posts: 132

Hey guys, i use to play diablo 2 alot i was addicted to that game and i moved away from it for a couple of years so is this game like diablo? i would really like to try this game out so i want to get some people opinions on it first. thanks in advance =)

Comments

• deadeyedavedeadeyedave Member Posts: 87

you would probably like it, alot of people call it diablo 3, but it would definatly be worth a try, theres a demo you can download for it, allows you to play 2 of the 6 classes, marksman and blademaster, to level 5, doesnt show much fo the game, actually the part of the game it shows has changed alot since the demo, but it does show the basic gameplay and the way skills and stuff operate. I love the game, and its definatly worth a try. its a very very small portion of the game, heres a link http://www.gamedaily.com/games/hellgate-london/pc/game-features/hellgate-london-exclusive-demo/4251/67004/   . remember, its single player too, so you are missing all of the online content that the online version ahs in teh demo to. 

good luck, and maby ill cya in game =)

• OrthedosOrthedos Member Posts: 1,771
    Originally posted by stabemz

Hey guys, i use to play diablo 2 alot i was addicted to that game and i moved away from it for a couple of years so is this game like diablo? i would really like to try this game out so i want to get some people opinions on it first. thanks in advance =)

If you need an exact Diablo 2 clone, Titan's quests is closer, but that does not mean Titan's quests as a game is better.  Just that HGL is slightly different.

You do not have the 45 degree 2D/2.5D feel.  You have a true 3D.  The good thing is, you do not have walls blocking your views of loots and mobs (yes I know the walls pale out but still).  The bad thing is, you cannot see a wide area of the battle field, most of the time the terrain is really blocking you view, you do not know what you will run into when you turn around a corner, unlike D2.

You can scroll from first person to third person view like most MMOs now.  FP view is great when you are shooting a gun.  I really like it, your taste may vary.

There are only 3x2 classes, but then again they are very different.  The classes feel more unique that D2 classes (maybe b/c we have experimented the D2 classes to death).  I like the way many of them played out, so a pet in the summoner does not play exactly like a pet of the engineer, the engineer gives armor and gun/sword to his pet to keep the pet alive, the summoner mix/match pets to keep himself alive (my way of playing).

Storage is an issue, but then again, its the same problem as in D2.  When they implement AH and in game mailing, HGL will beat D2 in this aspect.

D2 has a LAN option, which is very very nice for small bunch of friends or playing in the office , this is where I find HGL lacking. 

• turnipzturnipz Member Posts: 531

Skills/spells are handled like Diablo 2's skill trees, however, Hellgate does not have multiple trees; just a single set of skills for each class. Most skills require a certain character level and others require ranks in lower skills before they can be learned. The skills are the primary way you build your character; however, there isn't as much variety in skills as you see in other games. Many skills are just similar versions of each other that deal different element types or apply a different status effect.

The levels are generally fewer and less instinctive than diablo 2's, not only are they all bland streets but theres generally nothing unique to set apart 1 street from another.  There wont be a sense of exploration as there was in diablo 2.

The quests contain boring things like "kill 20 wolves", nothing really all that cool or worthwhile doing.

• IndeedIndeed Member Posts: 62

To my mind the game is better than titan quest but not as addictive as diablo2. Gameplay is sluggish because of immense loot and small stash if you are not a fast seller, after ten kills I have to care about my inventory and destroy things which is a real downer to spend at least 25% of your playing time in your inventory, there is no loot filter. If loot would be cut down to 1/10 it would be better...

The online part is laughable, taking bandwith for nothing (except the possibility to trade and pvp option), the game shines as a single player game. Character growth and smooth hack'n'slash are the ups, all other aspects are mediocre at best.

To sum it up, the game was half tested, the devs cared about the skills and surely fought enemies with them while developing, it works, but they didn't build their test chars with their loot, obviously they programmed them to appropiate levels and gear.

Okay, diablo needed muling too if you wanted to wear full sets but it it was playable on a pimped pocket calculator and I personally wont afford to upgrade my second comp as a HGL mule.

Originally posted by Indeed

To my mind the game is better than titan quest but not as addictive as diablo2. Gameplay is sluggish because of immense loot and small stash if you are not a fast seller, after ten kills I have to care about my inventory and destroy things which is a real downer to spend at least 25% of your playing time in your inventory, there is no loot filter. If loot would be cut down to 1/10 it would be better...
    The online part is laughable, taking bandwith for nothing (except the possibility to trade and pvp option), the game shines as a single player game. Character growth and smooth hack'n'slash are the ups, all other aspects are mediocre at best.
    To sum it up, the game was half tested, the devs cared about the skills and surely fought enemies with them while developing, it works, but they didn't build their test chars with their loot, obviously they programmed them to appropiate levels and gear.
    Okay, diablo needed muling too if you wanted to wear full sets but it it was playable on a pimped pocket calculator and I personally wont afford to upgrade my second comp as a HGL mule.

dont destroy things, break them down to get crafting materials that only take 1 spot each, that way you can upgrade new items when you get them. although soem people are skeptical about it, i truly believe multiplayer will start looking better once the start releasing content patches.

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

I played the demo, and I now plan to purchase eventually.  I was actually really impressed, played like Doom III meets Diablo II.  If that sounds a appealing I highly recommend you check out the demo.  See how it runs on your system and if you like the "feel" of it.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• EuthorusEuthorus Member Posts: 491

There is nothing like Diablo in this game. ALL FIGHTING AREAS are instanced, monster AI is horribly retarded. The game is buggy and glitchy and is for the most part a perma easy mode. As others have pointed out the inventory management is piss poor as you will play tetris with your bag more than you will try to play half-assed doom with your gun/sword.

FUNCOM - putting the FUN in disFUNctional !

Originally posted by Euthorus

There is nothing like Diablo in this game. ALL FIGHTING AREAS are instanced, monster AI is horribly retarded. The game is buggy and glitchy and is for the most part a perma easy mode. As others have pointed out the inventory management is piss poor as you will play tetris with your bag more than you will try to play half-assed doom with your gun/sword.

1. diablo was basically a big instance lol, only 8 person games.

2. monster AI in diablo was good? i didnt know that

3. try playing the game in elite mode, much harder. and diablo was perma easy.

4. it was pretty much teh same in diablo, but ill give you this one, that does get irritating after a while.

*edit* number 3 applied to the perma easy thing, and number 4 applied to the tetris comment.

• jbush812jbush812 Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Euthorus

Beat me to it...Diablo was nothing but a lot of instances. :D

It's been quite a while, but I don't recall any inventory managment in Diablo either. In fact, you can get a cube now just like D2 to hold even more junk...just like Diablo.

• EstrusEstrus Member Posts: 357

Is it like Diablo?  Yes and No as others have stated.

Will you like it?  Certainly.  It has that addictive "go out and kill tons of monsters then sort through your stash for anything good and do it all over again" quality.

• joeybootsjoeyboots Member UncommonPosts: 628
    Originally posted by Estrus

Is it like Diablo?  Yes and No as others have stated.
    Will you like it?  Certainly.  It has that addictive "go out and kill tons of monsters then sort through your stash for anything good and do it all over again" quality.

• AseenusAseenus Member UncommonPosts: 1,844

yes its very worth it for a diablo fan

• GwendleGwendle Member UncommonPosts: 48

Of all the games I've bought and played in the last few months (and that's quite a few), this is really the only one that I continue to play with any regularity. Alot of people say it's easy, it's all the same monsters, environments, etc. but that's not true. The differentiation is spread out more. As you level, you will experience different enironments, monsters and various mini-games. It's definately not the same all the way through the entire game. Some areas are hard, some are easy, some are in between. If you are one of the people complaining about the sameness, then you probably haven't levelled up very much.

• blakheart666blakheart666 Member Posts: 47

Hellgate is nothing like diablo 2.

Sure there's the hack and slash and looting but it will never be diablo. I love the diablo series but hellgate imo sucks balls.

Go play mythos which is like 100 times better than hellgate, made by the same guys of hellgate and diablo and it truly got the diablo gameplay and most importantly its free.

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

Guild Wars and World of Warcraft are also made by the creators of Diablo.

I would suggest to you that Guild Wars will provide you with the most Diablo-esque experience of all these games.

All three are good, but HGL isn't in the other two's league. If you are looking for a Diablo sequel, leave this one until last.

Originally posted by baff

I would suggest to you that Guild Wars will provide you with the most Diablo-esque experience of all these games.
    All three are good, but HGL isn't in the other two's league. If you are looking for a Diablo sequel, leave this one until last.

You are right. It is not in the same league, because it is not an mmo. Guild wars and Wow are.

Know what league it is in? The same league as other action-rpgs, cause that's what it is friend, an action-rpg. To compare it to GW is unfair, let alone comparing it to wow, which is a persistant mmo.

One more thing....To be perfectly honest....why is this game even on this site? Might as well add Titan Quest and Dungeon Siege while your at it. I wanna laugh at people comparing Titan Quest and other action-rpgs with an optional (optional!) online component, to Wow and other mmos, just like I'm laughing now, about people comparing HGL to WOW and other mmos.

Disclaimer: I am about to say something extremely sarcastic.

Man! Gears of War suxors, cause it's not as good as The Elder Scrolls IV:Oblivion!

• Big_spadeBig_spade Member Posts: 10

And CoD 4 Suxorz because your shields don't regen as fast as Master Chief's do.

My predictions for '08 : Diablo 3(maybe under an alias) will be announced as an MMORPG!

My predictions for '09 : During Beta testing people are shocked that the game plays like they imagined WoW 2 would!

Who knows I could be wrong. Hopefully.

• AllHazzardiAllHazzardi Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by baff

You know, I really dislike when people say this. Guild Wars and World of Warcraft are NOT made by the creators of Diablo.

Arena.net, creators of Guild Wars, consist of the Battle.net creators(hence the name) and if I recall, the balance guy from Starcraft.

World of Warcraft is made by BLIZZARD, the creators of Starcraft, Warcraft, among other Blizzard properties.

Diablo and Diablo 2 were created by the team which was initially known as Condor Entertainment, which originally was seeking funding from Silicon and Synapse before they became Blizzard Entertainment, and was subsequently bought by Blizzard Entertainment and renamed Blizzard North.

Hellgate:London is made by Flagship Studios, which consists of the original team which founded Condor Entertainment, plus Bill Roper and a few other people.

That all said, Hellgate:London is fun, half the time I hear people badmouthing it is because of bugs(often ones already fixed at the time of badmouthing), and because they don't see the Diablo through the shift to 3d perspectives. I recommend HG:L to anyone who liked Diablo 2, if you like the upgrades, great, if you don't, it's still free to play.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by AllHazzardi  
    Guild Wars and World of Warcraft are NOT made by the creators of Diablo.

Arena.net, creators of Guild Wars, consist of the Battle.net creators(hence the name) and if I recall, the balance guy from Starcraft.
    World of Warcraft is made by BLIZZARD, the creators of Starcraft, Warcraft, among other Blizzard properties.
    Diablo and Diablo 2 were created by the team which was initially known as Condor Entertainment, which originally was seeking funding from Silicon and Synapse before they became Blizzard Entertainment, and was subsequently bought by Blizzard Entertainment and renamed Blizzard North.

your facts are off -- the 3 founders of ANET did programming for game development of Diablo

ANET: Jeff Strain  (former programmer for Diablo)

www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,9171/

Jeff Strain was the team lead and lead programmer of Blizzard's massively multiplayer role-playing game, World of Warcraft. He was also a senior programmer on both Warcraft III and StarCraft, and a programmer on Diablo. Jeff was the creator of the StarCraft Campaign Editor and was employed at Blizzard for four years.

ANET: Mike O'Brien (former Sr. programmer for Diablo)

www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,9166/

Mike was the original creator and architect of Battle.net and was lead programmer on that project. He was also a senior programmer on StarCraft and Diablo, as well as the author of the network code for both games, and was a programmer on Warcraft II.

ANET: Patrick Wyatt (former Sr. programmer for Diablo)

www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,1019/

Previously, Pat was a senior programmer on both StarCraft and Diablo, and wrote the multiplayer code for both games. He was also a producer and senior programmer on Warcraft II, for which he wrote both the networking and multiplayer code, and producer and lead programmer for Warcraft I. Pat was employed at Blizzard more than eight years.

• AllHazzardiAllHazzardi Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Nadia

Originally posted by AllHazzardi  
    Guild Wars and World of Warcraft are NOT made by the creators of Diablo.

your facts are off -- the 3 founders of ANET did programming for game development of Diablo

ANET: Jeff Strain  (former programmer for Diablo)

www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,9171/

Jeff Strain was the team lead and lead programmer of Blizzard's massively multiplayer role-playing game, World of Warcraft. He was also a senior programmer on both Warcraft III and StarCraft, and a programmer on Diablo. Jeff was the creator of the StarCraft Campaign Editor and was employed at Blizzard for four years.

ANET: Mike O'Brien (former Sr. programmer for Diablo)

www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,9166/

Mike was the original creator and architect of Battle.net and was lead programmer on that project. He was also a senior programmer on StarCraft and Diablo, as well as the author of the network code for both games, and was a programmer on Warcraft II.

ANET: Patrick Wyatt (former Sr. programmer for Diablo)

www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,1019/

Previously, Pat was a senior programmer on both StarCraft and Diablo, and wrote the multiplayer code for both games. He was also a producer and senior programmer on Warcraft II, for which he wrote both the networking and multiplayer code, and producer and lead programmer for Warcraft I. Pat was employed at Blizzard more than eight years.

Two of those people are networking, people who programmed the battle.net interphases for D and D2, and had no creative or actual production effect on the games. The third, if I recall, was a mapper/area programmer.

Next time you say someone is wrong, make note of the vital differences between "worked on" and "created".

• saluksaluk Member Posts: 325

Wow, ok, so the guys didn't come up with the diablo concept. I'd say senior programming positions is high enough up to attribute "created" to them. Obviously they didn't create the games all by themselves, but few games are created by one person. They take teams. You really made it sound like they had nothing to do with Diablo, which is way off.