Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't wait: DnL 2

dalevi1dalevi1 Member Posts: 829

I heard recently they were considering a re-release of the game under the auspice of DnL2. With most major bugs smashed, and most classes balanced, it seems time for DnL to shed it's skin and fly out into the wilderness of MMO's with the crown of "Best Game Ever Made." Yes, it has been over a year since launch, and obviously, their investors pushed this thing to gold long before it was ready, but it is now more ready than ever. I tell you, straight up, this is the real deal. DnL best game ever created. You want mounts? DnL has them is spades. Player housing? DnL has them in spades, balanced ffa PvP? DnL has it in spades and more so, the best PvP system on the market. Great landscapes? DnL has them in spades. A responsive development team? DnL has them in spades! A lively French community awaits you, speaking english almost natively as well. Did I mention sea battles? DnL has some of the greatest sea battles of them all, you can even command your own ship! Barking out orders to you guild comrades as you rush to sink the enemy before he pillages your guild city.

DnL is the ultimate game of survival and defense. Keep your friends close, and your noobs closer. Considering their launch, I could not be happier at the state of this game. It's amazing, and I demand an MMORPG recount in the review.

Amazing. Simply, amazing.

Suckers.

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Tried: WoW, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, WWII Online, Planetside

Beta: Lotro, Tabula Rasa, WAR.

Comments

• CholaynaCholayna Member Posts: 1,604
    Originally posted by dalevi1

I heard recently they were considering a re-release of the game under the auspice of DnL2. With most major bugs smashed, and most classes balanced, it seems time for DnL to shed it's skin and fly out into the wilderness of MMO's with the crown of "Best Game Ever Made." Yes, it has been over a year since launch, and obviously, their investors pushed this thing to gold long before it was ready, but it is now more ready than ever. I tell you, straight up, this is the real deal. DnL best game ever created. You want mounts? DnL has them is spades. Player housing? DnL has them in spades, balanced ffa PvP? DnL has it in spades and more so, the best PvP system on the market. Great landscapes? DnL has them in spades. A responsive development team? DnL has them in spades! A lively French community awaits you, speaking english almost natively as well. Did I mention sea battles? DnL has some of the greatest sea battles of them all, you can even command your own ship! Barking out orders to you guild comrades as you rush to sink the enemy before he pillages your guild city.
    DnL is the ultimate game of survival and defense. Keep your friends close, and your noobs closer. Considering their launch, I could not be happier at the state of this game. It's amazing, and I demand an MMORPG recount in the review.
    Suckers.

nice touch.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Cholayna

Suckers.

nice touch.

Always read the fine print. 

• -Inferno--Inferno- Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 325

My MMORPG re-review of DnL = "This game still exists?"

"Fire is never a gentle master..."

• dididuonadididuona Member Posts: 2

Nice touch! It has been over a year since launch, and obviously, their investors pushed this thing to gold long before it was ready,

• dididuonadididuona Member Posts: 2

Suckers.

Amazing. Simply, amazing. very faint!

• EattenEatten Member Posts: 86

Suckers.

wow how much did they pay you for that?

• agh50agh50 Member Posts: 124

Eatten,

I believe that Dalevi1 was being sarcastic (if you left click and drag, you will see how he *really* feels about a 'DnL2')

I just watched this video about Snailgames involvement with DnL (DnL2 maybe?).  I don't know  when the video was made, and since I don't speak either Chinese or French, I don't really know what was being said.

Stephane Quilichini, (aka: Vuuar), was making some remarks in French, but I don't really know what they were.

What I can tell you from the video is that everything there seemed to be the same as what I experienced in the game as far as graphics etc. are concerened.

The only thing that I noticed different were several scenes that showed larger numbers of players, (MOBs?), on each side engaging in combat than I have personally experienced.  (the video shows a couple of instances where there may have been 20-30 per side engaged in a group PvP).  I have seen maybe half that number at GM events, so it is concievable that there were that many engaged, though if there were, I don't think it was recently.  There was also one scene, (I think), that seemed to show an underground area?  It was only a second long and may not actually have been what I thought it was, but there are no underground areas in DnL as it presently is configured.

Toward the end the Chinese (animator?) showed some preliminary annimations for  new models for a couple of the mounts, and they looked good, but are not in the game.

There was some concept art for new character models as well, but nothing much beyond that.

Tomorrow may be an important day for both Pix and Farlan/NPCube.  I hope that justice is served for all concerned.

The game has to move forward or close down.  Hopefully, tomorrow will tell.

http://www.56.com/u59/v_MjQzMTcyNjQ.html

• _Pix__Pix_ Member Posts: 276

Thank you so much for this worthy piece of news indeed, agh50!

I must confess that your contribution of the day assuredly spared me spending valuable time digging heaps of information on the Chinese boards.

So to comment this advertisement trailer quickly: we can see that it is mainly presenting video sequences from the 2003-2004 DnL trailers (apart from the section dedicated to Voyage Century and Alone in the Dark , which, for the latter, you must certainly acknowledge, cannot decently have anything to do with NPCube/Farlan/ BigWorld or SnailGame). Anyway...what I cannot but clearly point out is that in the main part dedicated to DnL, it presents excerpts from a VWORLD video shot in 2005 and illustrating features of VWorldTerrain which are NOT included in Dark and Light. 

For thruth's sake, nothing better than proof-in-point images: link on VWORLD's Gallery, in which the reader may find the original video at the bottom of the page: http://www.vworld.fr/Gb/GBvideos.htm

Therefore, as of today, not only do SnailGame/ Farlan/NPCube (who else???) use videos that do not belong to them, but they blatantly truncate the original VWORLD video by cropping the top and bottom little details, like you know, small insignificant stuff like logos, comments, etc.

Here are two screenhots so that the reader may already appreciate the situation at a glance, though he may find some more enlightening elements in the latest update of www.pourieux.com.

On the left-hand side: the warez Snailgame and Co  version. On the right-hand side the VWORLD original version.

As somebody has put it very recently: No comment. 

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

LOL. Man, I hope you sue them so bad that their great great great grand children owe you money.

D.

• OculitusOculitus Member Posts: 203

What baffles me about Dark and Light is how and why their servers (or rather server) are still live?

I don't see how they making any money given it's still free-to-play and must only have a handful of people playing.

Is there some litigation (I know they're being sued or so last I heard) or financial obligation they're avoiding by keeping the game running?   That's the only reason I could think of. 

• TheChronicTheChronic Member Posts: 253

Originally posted by Oculitus

What baffles me about Dark and Light is how and why their servers (or rather server) are still live?

I don't see how they making any money given it's still free-to-play and must only have a handful of people playing.

Is there some litigation (I know they're being sued or so last I heard) or financial obligation they're avoiding by keeping the game running?   That's the only reason I could think of. 

oh yeah, dark and light 2:

they can contact to the great success of dark and light 1 :D

because they made so many players happy with DnL 1 that everyone is asking for more :P

"You must be either retarded or a fanboi..."

• eosyneeosyne Member UncommonPosts: 392

Originally posted by TheChronic

Originally posted by Oculitus

oh yeah, dark and light 2:

they can contact to the great success of dark and light 1 :D

because they made so many players happy with DnL 1 that everyone is asking for more :P

LOL!  the sad thing is i actually had a pretty faithful following of this game up until launch, was accepted into closed beta along with a bunch of guildmates. long live SoF

can't believe how bad it flopped, once the highest anticipated game

• DanmannDanmann Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 95

In case none of you speak Chinese I can make up give you a rough translation:

"This is a video of Dark and Light. We have partnered with NP Cube to develop with truly massive MMO project and bring an amazing MMO to the fans. Our partnership with NP Cube was inevitable since we both share similar business practices, namely the complete disregard for Quality Assurance, community support and rightful ownership of intellectual property. We feel this is a match made in Heaven. Thank you."

Where else in the world can you sell off someone else's work as your own and get paid for it.?

Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the reviews of MMORPG.com or its management.

• _Pix__Pix_ Member Posts: 276

Originally posted by Danmann

In case none of you speak Chinese I can make up give you a rough translation:
    "This is a video of Dark and Light. We have partnered with NP Cube to develop with truly massive MMO project and bring an amazing MMO to the fans. Our partnership with NP Cube was inevitable since we both share similar business practices, namely the complete disregard for Quality Assurance, community support and rightful ownership of intellectual property. We feel this is a match made in Heaven. Thank you."
    Where else in the world can you sell off someone else's work as your own and get paid for it.?
    Seems to be a good translation in my book. But the most interesting part is that the Game is free-to-play, isn't it!

I've seen two others, in explicit images: 

a short one on youtube: http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=eMjJXq6IHD0

the other, quite longer, but in English, presently passed along in the *real* developers circles:  

http://steff.free.fr/DnLvideo.wmv

• DeadDOGDeadDOG Member Posts: 362

we want to play a game that has the freedom that DNL had promassed us.

that has only one server for most of the world to play in making it a full game no matter what time you play.

and with a world that Pix helped make it come ture.

maybe DNL 2.0 will have removed all of Pix's work or maybe they will resolve this so they can use what Pix has done. i not sure.

but an update on whats going on Pix or anyone would be nice.

www.DigitalMindz.com

• agh50agh50 Member Posts: 124

At one time I was a supporter of the concept of a single world server for an MMO.  However after seeing how it works in practice I think I am not as enthusiastic about the concept.

Granted that DnL may not be the best platforn on which to base my observations, but I did notice that there are real life language issues attached to such a concept.

While English may be the 'lingua franca' of  our times, there are a number of MMO players who cannot speak anymore than a few phrases.

I remember playing DnL ine night a few months back, and a person who spoke Chinese was on.  He spoke only the most rudimentary English and he needed help navigating through the many bugs and adjustments necessary to get DnL to work for him.

He could only say in very broken English that he needed help (with a very techinical problem), and his plaintive pleas for "Any China?' were almost pitiful.

There were people who spoke French on, and Spanish, but to no avail.

The same lonely pleas are heard from time to time in German or Czech as well.

I suppose that (theoretically), if a game had a large enough player base that there *might* be the possibility of having another person that spoke the language you needed, but I still think it would be an issue.  And I haven't even touched on languages that need an entirely different script at all.

In short, I am not sure a single world server is the best solution to our real life language barriers.

By the way, I do not recommend using on-line translators like BabelFish either.  A while back on the DnL forums I foolishly attempted to answer a query from a poster from the French forum by copying my (English) answer and pasting it in BabelFish to translate and post on the French forums.  The net result was I basically told the entire French forum to "go to hell"  (apparently 'enfant' and 'enfer' mean two different things) 

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by agh50

At one time I was a supporter of the concept of a single world server for an MMO.  However after seeing how it works in practice I think I am not as enthusiastic about the concept.
    Granted that DnL may not be the best platforn on which to base my observations, but I did notice that there are real life language issues attached to such a concept.
    While English may be the 'lingua franca' of  our times, there are a number of MMO players who cannot speak anymore than a few phrases.
    I remember playing DnL ine night a few months back, and a person who spoke Chinese was on.  He spoke only the most rudimentary English and he needed help navigating through the many bugs and adjustments necessary to get DnL to work for him.
    He could only say in very broken English that he needed help (with a very techinical problem), and his plaintive pleas for "Any China?' were almost pitiful.
    There were people who spoke French on, and Spanish, but to no avail.
    The same lonely pleas are heard from time to time in German or Czech as well.
    I suppose that (theoretically), if a game had a large enough player base that there *might* be the possibility of having another person that spoke the language you needed, but I still think it would be an issue.  And I haven't even touched on languages that need an entirely different script at all.
    In short, I am not sure a single world server is the best solution to our real life language barriers.
    By the way, I do not recommend using on-line translators like BabelFish either.  A while back on the DnL forums I foolishly attempted to answer a query from a poster from the French forum by copying my (English) answer and pasting it in BabelFish to translate and post on the French forums.  The net result was I basically told the entire French forum to "go to hell"  (apparently 'enfant' and 'enfer' mean two different things) 
    rofl

It wouldn't be that hard to have only one server with different languages. Hell, Eve does it. Every language has it's own chat channel to use. Of course, the game would have to have enough players to rasonably assume there would be more than one person speaking a particular language. So that does leave DnL out.

• DeadDOGDeadDOG Member Posts: 362

it would be nice if the game had a built in translater like http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en

where people put in there language. and the games chat would translate it as best it could to your language. i know there not the best tranlators but its better then trying to copy and past the stuff your self.

and would help bring the world together. and who needs to know much of a language to PVP. if you can not understand them just kill them. Just kidding.

i used online transltors alot in DNL.

www.DigitalMindz.com

• SmartwhoisSmartwhois Member Posts: 58

With most major bugs smashed...

With all major bugs smashed won't it just be one big pile of goo?