Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tabula Rasa: Launch Version Overview

Comments

• shargasshargas Member Posts: 4

Well I love how they have mixed rpg and fps in this mmo, and so I also understand people who come from more traditional mmorpgs not appreciating this game as it should.

Casual players are REALLY going to enjoy this game (unlike hardcore players tho >.<)

Healing is ok as it is now, promoting skill&teamplay. Dont confuse "annoying" with "hard".

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863

Ok, this post is coming from someone who enjoys fantasy themed MMO's over anything else, with EQ 1 being my favorite most addicting game I've ever played..

First, I never really did any research on TR at all. All I did was do a quick check of the overview, checked out some screenies, and briefly looked at the classes before deciding to try the game out. I only picked the game up just to try something new. I still had plans of possibly returning to VG, or EQ2 shortly after ROK goes live.

Now, when I first logged on to TR, I was astonished and amazed at how great the graphics look. More impressing is how quick and fast paced the action is. At level 2, you get a mission to recapture the starting base from the Bane. Now, the entire time my eyes were as big as silver dollars and my face was glued to the screen. My body began to tense up when I had 3 bane charging me dodging my attacks. During the heat of battle, there is NO TIME to play with yourself, make a cup of coffee, eat your spaghetti dinner, and take a leak. The boring, click, click, wait, wait with one hand days are gone. You really need to be coordinated and have a quick eye with TR. I absolutely love how fast paced the action is. It's definitely alot of FUN and enjoyable.

Also, keep in mind, I am NOT a fan of FPS that much at all. I mean, I played Doom, halo, and cs with friends a few times, but those mindless run and gun games with no structure at all are just stupid to me. I am a true fan of MMO's and I can honestly say this game combines the fun, instense, fast paced action of all FPS shooters, and the depth, strategy, lore, story, and immersive environments you expect in MMO's. As of now, I love this game and I'd recommend it to anyone who is tired of the boring, click and wait style of every other fantasy  MMO's.

Although, TR is far from perfect, just like every other MMO I've played..There are a few problems that I hope will get addressed soon.. First thing is the UI. I mean, it literally took me a few moments to figure out how to shoot. When pressing, "L" it brings up your quest menu. Well this prevents you from attacking and also prevents you from rotating the camera. That needs to be changed. Secondly, you cannot customize how you want the UI to be that fits well with your play style. I hate seeing the chat window on the top left screen, with your character name and status bar on the bottom right. Hopefully this will get addressed sooner rather than later. Every other MMO allows full customizing of the UI.

Those are the only two main problems I have with Tabula Rasa right now. Other than that, I think the gameplay, graphics, music, etc are absolutely stunning!!!  My weekend review of TR is a 8.5!

Now its time to log on :)

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

• sukochiesukochie Member Posts: 49

I couldnt find the system requirement's for this game.       

• SturmrabeSturmrabe Member Posts: 927
    Originally posted by sukochie

nvidia 6600 or better, not older than 5 years

imageimage
    Of all that is written, I love only what a person has written with his own blood. -Nietzsche

• JonathJCenJonathJCen Member UncommonPosts: 202

Thanks for the great overview Stradden. Optamistical approach (which is very good to have for early games) with a decent fact to opinion ratio. I look forward to reading your review

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

I too played the game through to the end of beta and overall all it sounds like the release is pretty much as it was at the end of beta. So my personal review is this. The game itself for what it is - is great. The graphics are good even on low end machines. The game ran with few noticeable bugs and the overall mechanics were easy to use and pickup. the UI was annoying at first but after playing about 20 hours it was rather intuitive to use. They have a built in voicechat server to the game that requires nothing at all to use outside of speakers and mic so the chat screen became even less important.

The built in chat was in my opinion the absolute best feature of the game and I hope to see more of that in the future. It even had squiggly lines above each name so you know who exactly is talking when they are talking. Similiar to the 3rd party program tthat was available to GW.

Now for the negatives. Like most of the others my big complaint is the game itself is too shallow. This wont be a big deal for someone still fresh to this type of gameing but I have been playing one game after another since UO and well it takes more than this game has to offer to peak my interest. It basically revolves around the same old principles of kill a bunch of stuff/finish quests killing stuff get levels kill more stuff get more levels get gear and more gear so you can kill stuff and get more levels untill you have killed everything and hope for an expansion pack in which there are more new things to kill to get more new levels.

Ways they could have gotten rid of this tedium -

#1 Get rid of the main map instances and ramp up the bane invasions and thier attemp to gain control of the control points with more control points. This would force everyone in a given map to actually defend and recapture control points to get access to the content they offer. Much more dynamic game. At this time of a control point so captured in an instance you simply pop over to another instance untill you find one where it is free - no big deal either way.

#2 The logos system - no real point to it - you might as well just give each class thier skills. At this point you cant use logos outside of your specialty- even though you can learn them and it it extremely easy to find and learn them all. A much better system would have been to make them an actual language that can be combined together to make an effect happen. The more logos you know and master the wider the range of stuff you can do with it. (very difficult to develop properly but I think they had the hardest part done which was coming up with all the different symbols in the first place.)

#3 they do claim there will be a story line that can be affected by characters and this might materialise post release but I have my doubts about how effective or how much this will actually happen in reality. Overall it seems like you can save the world a thousand times over all so the person following you can save the world in exactly the same way a thousand more times. Is there anything more pointless?

Now the criticisms are not directed solely to TR - I would direct these to the entire MMO game world market that exists right now. I have these same problems with all the current games out there and is the only reason why I am not subscribed to any of them right now.

Overall I would say this game is perfect for a casual gamer who is relatively new to the MMO scene. The learning curve is fairly shallow and the game is engaging and fun to play.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

I played this game for a few months in beta.   For a while, I had fun.   I am not a FPS gamer and as such, I enjoyed the "easiness" of the game, which many complained about until they changed it.    Wow was my previous MMO and coming to a game where I could solo all the instances (at least, all the ones I got to see) was excellent.   And then they upped the difficulty and instance soloing became way harder.   Bah.

The other thing that I disliked was the levelling tree.   Every fifth level you get to choose a further speciality for you character.    When you do so, you get access to several new abilities.   However, on all the inbetween levels, you get nothing but a little stats boost.    Too few cookies for me.   I would've preferred a more traditional method of doling out new skills on every level, or at least every other level.

The run and gun was enjoyable, but gets old after your millionth kill.   I have respect for RG and company, and wish them well, but these game was too lacking in depth for me.

• abhaighabhaigh Member Posts: 390

though it does have potential, at present it is a shallow confection best suited to casual play

it might be worth the asking price in 6 months if development continues and more content is added, but at the moment, no.

• SenretsuSenretsu Member Posts: 63

Originally posted by Sturmrabe

Originally posted by sukochie

nvidia 6600 or better, not older than 5 years

Damn, All I got is a 5500. I'm thinking I really need to update my graphics card soon, 5500 is becoming Obsolete.

As for me, I'm really looking forward to a new shooter-RPG on the market. 'General British' is just plain awesome as well, gives me nostalgia. So far it's sounding like Starship Troopers online or something. If they make a free trial at anytime, I'm there man.

I am a connoisseur of fine wine and fine pixels

• reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441

I am on 3 months sub. I like the game the same way I did Auto Assault. But then Auto Assault got quite repetetive. I couldn't even get my "car" there to max level. Any game needs to have diversity and depth. TR is shallow. Does Richard Garriot can not see it? Whats his plans for the coming months? Its crazy if they make another MMORPG go down like AA. AA was real good piece of game. But they didn't add anything specific over time. All that it had - overhaul of already created content.

It won't save TR if they will have just some more instances, or more lazy quests. Oh well, I hope they are not stupid and understand what will happen in a few months if nothing is done on time.

• ThompsonSubThompsonSub Member UncommonPosts: 147

Originally posted by abhaigh

though it does have potential, at present it is a shallow confection best suited to casual play

You may have missed it but a guy capped in the first 5 days.

Just like City of Heroes, this will cause a major change in mob difficulty and *poof* all that casual gameplay is about to go bye bye.

If they don't do it now they will have a bunch of level 50s on their hands in the next two weeks and with no real end game content I think we know what that would mean.

I'm pretty sure the "casual" nature is about to disappear.

• DreadlichDreadlich Member UncommonPosts: 597

MMOs Played: EQ 1&2, DAoC, SWG, Planetside, WoW, GW, CoX, DDO, EVE, Vanguard, TR
    Playing: WAR
    Awaiting 40k Online and wishing for Battletech Online

• reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by ThompsonSub
    Originally posted by abhaigh though it does have potential, at present it is a shallow confection best suited to casual play

Just like City of Heroes, this will cause a major change in mob difficulty and *poof* all that casual gameplay is about to go bye bye.

If they don't do it now they will have a bunch of level 50s on their hands in the next two weeks and with no real end game content I think we know what that would mean.

There will always be some geeks from the basements who will be the first. Well so good to them. Those people usually don't stay in one game for long. I actually feel sorry for them. Tabula Rasa is casual game not matter what anyone says. At least I feel like it. I don't have to persuade some kinda of a immediate goals there. I can just log in, do few quests, level up a bit, and then take a break for a few days. Nothing changes, I am not falling behind or anything. I bet there are quite a few casual gamers in TR.

• abhaighabhaigh Member Posts: 390
    Originally posted by ThompsonSub

all I can say is LOL! Let the Grindage begin!

• chriswsmchriswsm Member UncommonPosts: 383

I am wondering if they have set up a second EU server yet?   Rumour has it that it will take a little longer.

My reason for asking is that Assasing Creed is out on the PS3 Friday and methinks I might be occupied with that for some considerable time.  General British needs to look after the British  (and the rest of the EU) or other games will distract us from the Bane.

I used to visit this site a lot however in recent years it has become the home of negative forum posts, illogical opinions and tantrums so I visit less often.

Played or Beta'd: UO / DAOC / Horizons / EQ2 / DDO / EVE / Archlord / PirateKingsOnline / Tabula Rasa / LOTRO / AOC / Champions / Darkfall / Mortal Online / DCUO / Rift / STO / SWTOR / TSW

• mehhemmehhem Member Posts: 653
    Originally posted by A_Train

Originally posted by Kordesh

"Too little too late and still not enough personally."

I'm sorry I stopped reading your post after this. How can it be too late when the game just launched? That makes no sense and is highly annoying. I would also like to say that I'm not a fanboy, I haven't even played the game.

Its too late for beta testers.  Try and not be so dense...

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Originally posted by mehhem

I'm sorry I stopped reading your post after this. How can it be too late when the game just launched? That makes no sense and is highly annoying. I would also like to say that I'm not a fanboy, I haven't even played the game.

If you've only experienced the beta, you havn't experienced the game.

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

I have to agree. No matter what you think of the game or any game, saying "Too little too late" at launch is pretty ...  (nice word)...  silly.

MMOs Played: EQ 1&2, DAoC, SWG, Planetside, WoW, GW, CoX, DDO, EVE, Vanguard, TR

While it can be true saying too little too late at launch might be considered a little hasty, I bring Vanguard of an example of where this was also true. There were many issues to be dealt with in that game that the beta players kept going over and over. By the time these issues were dealt with post launch the game had allready cratered and the original company went under. It was only Sony's deep pockets that kept the doors open. Its still not the game for me and I will likely never play it again but at least it is a game that someone can play now.

For the most part the bones of a game are deeply entrenched by the end of beta. If you get a chance to play any length of time at the end of any beta you can pretty much tell where a game has been, where its going and if it will be any good(in a personal opinion sort of way). There will be no major revisions at launch and no major game changes only minor tweaks and updates and content patches. The only game that I know of that has survived a major revision post release is SWG and I dont even know how well its doing other than simply surviving.

So in short if the capacity for a type of content does not exist by the end of beta it will A) probaby never exist in the future or B) wont happen untill a major expansion pack comes out - which is usually at least one year after release.

So with all that said and done it is in fact possible to say too little too late at launch as the fact that post launch the dev teams just wont have the time to add anything significant to the game for a minimum of 3 months and by then most people will be bored enough to go on to the next new flavor of the quarter.

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

So tell me how the game post launch is any different than the end of beta outside of just having more servers and possiblly higher population?

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

So, how is the endgame?

I am trying to find a game to play atm, but with MMO, never again a game that end's poorly.  Raiding, no thanks.  RvR, no thanks.  Soul-Eating that is worser then a togamashi, no thanks. (Gamespot are such noobs to think that the soul-eating is hardcore, it is a foreign gameplay, not hardcore at all, it is even rather easy, but I don't feel like playing EAT & DRINKS concept, it was removed from early RPGs for a good reason, and folks at Gamespot seems to think that EATING is hardcore...freaking noobs)

If I commit myself to a game, I want to know I will be happy if I "end it", or if I "stop before ending it".  Not that I will find a wall and a new foreign gameplay ruins everything.

So, how is endgame?  (Lack of endgame is acceptable and wouldn't ruin the game)

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

Not much info on it right now. I think everyone pretty much agrees that there isn't one for now. The impression I get is that people are just having fun shooting stuff up in the developed areas.

I'm going to play through to the end and have fun. If there's no end game then I treat it as a standard solo fps/adventure and cancel my sub. No biggie, and I don't have to spend months whining about there being no end game. Play while it's fun, stop when it isn't.

• Huli22Huli22 Member Posts: 64

Been playing the beta and seen most of the new things... It seems a lot better now but still misses the "hardcore feel" that you fight for a cause. It`s a bit shallow sometimes. Quests need more variety and not quantity. People who like to have some fun after a job and dont look for a deep game should like this "shoot em up" game.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Originally posted by Dreadlich

Not much info on it right now. I think everyone pretty much agrees that there isn't one for now. The impression I get is that people are just having fun shooting stuff up in the developed areas.
    I'm going to play through to the end and have fun. If there's no end game then I treat it as a standard solo fps/adventure and cancel my sub. No biggie, and I don't have to spend months whining about there being no end game. Play while it's fun, stop when it isn't.

I wish I could just take that state of mind, but it doesn't work that way for me.  No endgame is fine.  If a weak/good endgame is planned, I need to know before I join up.

My eldorado matters a LOT.  When I am done with a game, I want to smile and be happy, which is not the case about EQ, EQ2, WoW and most MMOs out there.  I want an happy ending/neverending.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

Originally posted by Anofalye

Originally posted by Dreadlich

I wish I could just take that state of mind, but it doesn't work that way for me.  No endgame is fine.  If a weak/good endgame is planned, I need to know before I join up.

My eldorado matters a LOT.  When I am done with a game, I want to smile and be happy, which is not the case about EQ, EQ2, WoW and most MMOs out there.  I want an happy ending/neverending.

Man, I want a "happy ending" from a game too. I'd play it every day...

From the horses mouth: http://www.rgtr.com/community/community_news/elder_game.html

The biggest key for the endgame will be the clan warfare. If the PVP model succeeds, this game takes on a whole new life at 50. PAUs sound cool too.