Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interested in the game but...

BolmungBolmung Member Posts: 24

i'm intrested in the game but judging by the graphics(no offense the graphics don;t bother me at all) I'de guess its a really old game and the population is dead by now

Comments

• BolmungBolmung Member Posts: 24

for got to throw in..IS it dead?

• AisuKoheeAisuKohee Member Posts: 1

Yes it's pretty much alive. About 300+ users on a good day (that isn't vacation or holiday) The graphics isn't really there compared to mmorpgs nowadays but it's not like the graphics are hideous.

-Roleplayer: Alot of people like to roleplay in this game.

-Self goverened mmorpg. You can hold office and adjust city laws, punish cheaters, and etc.

There's a free trial so why don't you try it out. I like to think of DarkAges as a nonsoloing mmorpg unlike some mmo's where you can solo till you meet your character limits.

• TrinexxTrinexx Member Posts: 21

I was hoping that was the case about having a small yet good community. At first glance, I was kind of doubtful, because games like this always seem uncommunal, but I'm going to try this out now. Great.

Wait...

Damn!
    DARK side.
    Seriously, I meant Dark Side.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

It says you can play for free as long as you want, but with ingame disadvantages. What are these "disadvantages"?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Originally posted by AisuKohee

Yes it's pretty much alive. About 300+ users on a good day (that isn't vacation or holiday) The graphics isn't really there compared to mmorpgs nowadays but it's not like the graphics are hideous.
    -Self goverened mmorpg. You can hold office and adjust city laws, punish cheaters, and etc.
    There's a free trial so why don't you try it out. I like to think of DarkAges as a nonsoloing mmorpg unlike some mmo's where you can solo till you meet your character limits.

A bit of an under-exaggeration regarding the player population.

Right now it is 6:17 am EST (GMT -5) and the Camelot Herald is reporting a total player population of

around 3200 players, with the classic cluster being the most active with 658 players.  (Killbury has over 500) Not bad for this early in the day, and I think if you check this evening you'll find the classic cluster around 1000-1500 people during US prime time.

Stick with the classic cluster and you'll be just fine.  There will even be some low level players you can group with (because classic servers don't permit players to use the /level command to skip the first 20 levels) 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

The game originated as a asian grind-a-thon called Legend of Darkness (from S.Korea) but when the game is ported to the US the game director/manager David Kennerly redesigned most of the major systems of the game from the ground up (excluding the game engine itself and the maps) into a roleplayer paradise mmo which focuses on the RPing community instead of the asian grinder that it was. It has a player government system (an mmo's first) where player elected officials can punish rule breakers / cheaters. Note that the player government system (including in-game elections etc.) is designed by David Kennerly from the ground up and is not part of the original Legend of Darkness mmo port.

• rmk70rmk70 Member UncommonPosts: 408

huh?

• ElvendarElvendar Member Posts: 12

Originally posted by Zorvan

It says you can play for free as long as you want, but with ingame disadvantages. What are these "disadvantages"?

No religion or politics; You cannot join guilds, do certain quests, or earn experience at 99.

What you can do, however, is get an outsider's perspective of the community and the gameplay. You won't get a full idea of combat (a lot of gameplay changes at 99 and up) but you'll be able to explore the world and get to know some people, maybe even make some connections in case you decide to register.

@ Population:

5:30 approximately right now (EST), and around 430 players are on. Later in the night it will jump up. During non-peak hours, the game averages around 200-300 players at a minimum.

During peak hours, you can see around 400-600 players tops. During my entire span of playing DA (almost 5 years now,) the top i've seen has been 1300 players during the Goblin Invasion event.

-Radical Edward

• FaituFaitu Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Right now it is 6:17 am EST (GMT -5) and the Camelot Herald is reporting a total player population of

around 3200 players, with the classic cluster being the most active with 658 players.  (Killbury has over 500) Not bad for this early in the day, and I think if you check this evening you'll find the classic cluster around 1000-1500 people during US prime time.

Stick with the classic cluster and you'll be just fine.  There will even be some low level players you can group with (because classic servers don't permit players to use the /level command to skip the first 20 levels) 

That's a pretty ironic post, considering your signature.

• jessdavis30jessdavis30 Member Posts: 1

The best part of the population in this game is they are all accessible. You have a list with everyones name on it you just open up that list and scroll down the names.  Names of characters near your level appear in orange text and the rest are white or greyish.

In the beginning you start on the server Temuair. Everyone near your insight is in that list because you cant move on to the server Medenia until level 40+ 

The gameplay is great if you dont mind the lower quality graphics and it is still regularly updated although many players are upset about the updates lately = shark costume = lame.

I have tried all other mmorpg's I can and I still come back to this game. It is the easiest to maneuver and you have the most control on exactly what you want your character to "have" stat wise.

If anyone is interested in th is game or has anymore quesitons, please let me know - [email protected]

• N1ghtsta1kerN1ghtsta1ker Member Posts: 112

It's a shame that very few players played this game.  The religion and politics system are something you won't find in any other MMO, and most of the community were good people.  The problem is at higher levels, you need a group to level, and when you've only got about 8 people in your level range to choose from it can take hours to find a proper party.

The graphics and music were quite unique too, very well put together.  I wish they would've made some sort of sequel to this game (Keeping the 2D style of course, wouldn't be the same in 3D)

• FaituFaitu Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by N1ghtsta1ker

It's a shame that very few players played this game.  The religion and politics system are something you won't find in any other MMO, and most of the community were good people.  The problem is at higher levels, you need a group to level, and when you've only got about 8 people in your level range to choose from it can take hours to find a proper party.
    The graphics and music were quite unique too, very well put together.  I wish they would've made some sort of sequel to this game (Keeping the 2D style of course, wouldn't be the same in 3D)

Indeed, it needs a sequel. This is one of the most innovative MMORPGs I've ever played, if not the most, but from what it seems, its glory faded away by eye-candy games and WoW copies, and it is most likely going to end unknown to most MMORPG players, a shame indeed. A game with such potential ending up this way, overlooked. Unfortunately there will hardly be a sequel.

• CillasiCillasi Member UncommonPosts: 335
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Ummm....wrong game.  "Dark Ages" is NOT "Dark Age of Camelot"

• VitFalkVitFalk Member Posts: 6

I love the graphic in the game. Well I liked it even more back at deoch 50 when I started. (Before the big update in deoch 53.) It's like Chrono Trigger, Star Ocean, Secret of Mana or any other classical rpgs to Super Nintendo. I feel so much of empathy in those games because of the graphic.

• HolyKnightsHolyKnights Member CommonPosts: 6
    Faitu said:
    Originally posted by N1ghtsta1ker

Indeed, it needs a sequel. This is one of the most innovative MMORPGs I've ever played, if not the most, but from what it seems, its glory faded away by eye-candy games and WoW copies, and it is most likely going to end unknown to most MMORPG players, a shame indeed. A game with such potential ending up this way, overlooked. Unfortunately there will hardly be a sequel.

I would love to see dark ages be in 3D. i would also love to see a pvp style in which you didn't have to ask permission to duel someone, but maybe limit it to only hunting areas and the arena for pvp. i mean, you could have still as a caster or basher windbladed another player, or casted spells on them.... but not without forcing the attack, and/or going to jail for it. lacking graphics and lackluster pvp always PO'd me about this game. well that, and the constant whispers from town members asking for votes to become an RC (respected citizen) lol