Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What a disaster

AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314

Can't subscribe

Can't log in

Pretty sure my account has problems

But, hey, Hellgate: Vanguard is now live!

Comments

• FargolFargol Member UncommonPosts: 303

Originally posted by Alalala

Can't subscribe
    Can't log in

Be nice. It's opening day and problems are to be expected.

Read a book and click Refresh every once in a while.

• RayanaRayana Member UncommonPosts: 525

Can't subscribe
    Can't log in

It seems everything has collapsed now. Subscription, game servers, and web site. Give it an hour...

------------------------------------------------

Playing: Final Fantasy Online: ARR, Destiny
    Most memorable games for me: UO, GW1, LoTRO

• JonMichaelJonMichael Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by Fargol

Can't subscribe
    Can't log in

QFT.

All games have problems on launch day... and nothing... nothing can ever be compared to VG, that's for sure ;)

Currently: AION, an MMO Beta under NDA
    Played: WAR, LOTRO, Hellgate: London, CoX, GW, SotNW, DAOC, EQ2, SWG, WoW, AO, Horizons, Second Life, There, TSO
    Beta'd: There, Second Life, EQ2, DAOC:LotM, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, Gods and Heroes, Hellgate: London, Requiem:Bloodymare, AoC, WAR, DDO, Fallen Earth

• OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568

Originally posted by JonMichael

Can't subscribe
    Can't log in

QFT.

All games have problems on launch day... and nothing... nothing can ever be compared to VG, that's for sure ;)

That's simply not true.  Not all games have crappy launches.  DAoC's was pitch-perfect, despite the large numbers.

Accepting the crap and disrespect these game companies feed you on opening day is simply contributing to the problem.  Have some balls and quit taking the crap they're feeding you.

• FargolFargol Member UncommonPosts: 303

Originally posted by Oyjord

Can't subscribe
    Can't log in

QFT.

That's simply not true.  Not all games have crappy launches.  DAoC's was pitch-perfect, despite the large numbers.

Accepting the crap and disrespect these game companies feed you on opening day is simply contributing to the problem.  Have some balls and quit taking the crap they're feeding you.

And do what, exactly?

• kilzfirekilzfire Member Posts: 9

Yes! Get the torches and pitch forks and let's meet on their forums and BURN THEM DOWN!....

Oh wait the website is down too! LOL :P

• JonMichaelJonMichael Member Posts: 796

Can't subscribe
    Can't log in

QFT.

Have some patience and quit acting like a spoiled kid who didn't get enough Halloween candy. :P

Currently: AION, an MMO Beta under NDA
    Played: WAR, LOTRO, Hellgate: London, CoX, GW, SotNW, DAOC, EQ2, SWG, WoW, AO, Horizons, Second Life, There, TSO
    Beta'd: There, Second Life, EQ2, DAOC:LotM, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, Gods and Heroes, Hellgate: London, Requiem:Bloodymare, AoC, WAR, DDO, Fallen Earth

I've also seen much, MUCH worse. MUCH worse. Besides, even if I would want to do something at this point, what would it be? The store won't take my game back, so I already spent money on it anyway?

At this point, I'm not even close to getting angry about it. I experienced no disrespect during beta. If the situation is the same after the weekend, then it becomes a different story.

• ZsavoozZsavooz Member Posts: 532
    Originally posted by Rayana

I've also seen much, MUCH worse. MUCH worse. Besides, even if I would want to do something at this point, what would it be? The store won't take my game back, so I already spent money on it anyway?

At this point, I'm not even close to getting angry about it. I experienced no disrespect during beta. If the situation is the same after the weekend, then it becomes a different story.

Stop it! This is like a Broadway show on opening night forgetting their Orchestra.  Halloween was their big premier, their opening Act. To be honest, Act 1 sucks. I'm not the one who touted for months about the great Halloween spectacular. They should be ashamed of themselves.

• OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568

It may just be a game to you, but to them it's a business.  And they're running their business poorly.

Just go ahead and keep lowering your standards, folks.  You get what you deserve.

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

Listening to people bitching about a crappy launch and how the devs are incompetent shows the colors of someone who is so totally clueless as to leave me near speachless.    If you can't understand it then vote with your dollars and return the software and move on.

I doubt there is anyone on this forum other then maybe myself that has ever launched a live service like this and my launch was rather smaller then this one I'd imagine.   There is NO way a company without limitless budget can build and launch a game like this and be 100% certain that it will be smooth sailing. 

You test it under load, you imagine everything that would stress the game, you take every precaution, you build extra capacity, and you keep a stash of emergency stuff.  But no matter how much you do there are always possible things that you didn't anticipate even in the best designs.

Right now the tech people at flagstaff are gathered round scrambling to fix the issues and will work non stop till this is resolved and likely will be working on it for days and maybe weeks till all the issues have been worked out.  Depending on the problem they are working on hardware or perhaps even software with everything they got and sweating and swearing the entire time.

Don't forget these same people have no doubt been working round the clock already to get this product out the door and now the worst has happened and they will struggle to work though a very real hell to get to the light at the end of the tunnel.

And it is so frustrating to see people come on and scream about how crappy the game is or bad the launch is.  1 game in 10 comes off smooth and frankly the ones that do got lucky or weren't very successful.

So take a deep breath, play the single player mode and give them a break.   They will fix it in a relatively short time and you will be online and having fun.  In the mean time thank all your gods that you aren't them and move on.

---
    Ethion

• Originally posted by Oyjord

It may just be a game to you, but to them it's a business.  And they're running their business poorly.

Just go ahead and keep lowering your standards, folks.  You get what you deserve.

Because naturally being patient with a game that shows lots of promise is utterly retarded when you can play one of the many other crappy games on the market.  :)

• EstrusEstrus Member Posts: 357

oh good grief!!  just go kick a puppy already and spare us your emo angst.

• EvilScribbleEvilScribble Member Posts: 30

We get your point, you hate Flagship Studios because their launch isn't perfect, their servers being down for about 20 minutes now. Cool, go play Vanguard or whatever you keep comparing HGL to and stop posting on this forum. Simple as that. It's not like they begged you to buy their game and to support them. You don't like it, get out. Get a refund for the game. There's other people out there that aren't so anal about release day. Sure, I would share your view if it happens continuously, but no. It's been down for about 20 minutes and your mouth (fingers in this case) has already fired like diarrhea.

• littlemonkeylittlemonkey Member UncommonPosts: 61

I agree with Melanoma. Get your act together...how many times did i have to listen to "4 years in development " to get this crap. All the bad PR about pricing and you do this. They panicked...and are now patching to give away for free what was motivating me to subscribe...JonMichael and the other apologists for this BS need to wake up and smell the roses. I've already done one Anarchy Online.

• sirespersiresper Member Posts: 317

I'm not really sure how a game can have these kinds of problems when it isn't even an mmo...

MMOS have problems on release day due to overwhelming the servers, but in an instanced single player game with some multiplayer functionality ala diablo? Doesn't make any sense to me... I don't think people should be using 'release day' as an excuse here for a product for which it really shouldnt have even been an issue. Definitely seems odd to me to have such huge issues when, compared to a typical mmo, there is so much less that could go wrong.

But its easy for me to say that because I'm not among the people that bought the damn thing

• DevonsputantDevonsputant Member UncommonPosts: 65

Originally posted by zaxxon23

Because naturally being patient with a game that shows lots of promise is utterly retarded when you can play one of the many other crappy games on the market.  :)

I want this game!

http://worstmmorpgever.ytmnd.com/

• markt50markt50 Member Posts: 132

Wow, so there are technical problems with this launch, what a surprise. This must be the first online game that has ever launched and had problems, because I remember the WoW, EQ2, Vanguard etc launches going so well.

I'm sure the devs didn't do it on purpose you know. It's almost like some poeple just want this game to fail. I think it shows a lot of potential and I can certainly forgive a few hiccups on the way, especially on launch day of all days when these things tend to happen with probably 90% of online games.

Originally posted by littlemonkey

I agree with Melanoma. Get your act together...how many times did i have to listen to "4 years in development " to get this crap. All the bad PR about pricing and you do this. They panicked...and are now patching to give away for free what was motivating me to subscribe...JonMichael and the other apologists for this BS need to wake up and smell the roses. I've already done one Anarchy Online.

What the hell are you rambling on about? The servers have been down like what...? 30 minutes?

• RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507

Originally posted by ethion

Listening to people bitching about a crappy launch and how the devs are incompetent shows the colors of someone who is so totally clueless as to leave me near speachless.    If you can't understand it then vote with your dollars and return the software and move on.
    I doubt there is anyone on this forum other then maybe myself that has ever launched a live service like this and my launch was rather smaller then this one I'd imagine.   There is NO way a company without limitless budget can build and launch a game like this and be 100% certain that it will be smooth sailing. 
    You test it under load, you imagine everything that would stress the game, you take every precaution, you build extra capacity, and you keep a stash of emergency stuff.  But no matter how much you do there are always possible things that you didn't anticipate even in the best designs.
    Right now the tech people at flagstaff are gathered round scrambling to fix the issues and will work non stop till this is resolved and likely will be working on it for days and maybe weeks till all the issues have been worked out.  Depending on the problem they are working on hardware or perhaps even software with everything they got and sweating and swearing the entire time.
    Don't forget these same people have no doubt been working round the clock already to get this product out the door and now the worst has happened and they will struggle to work though a very real hell to get to the light at the end of the tunnel.
    And it is so frustrating to see people come on and scream about how crappy the game is or bad the launch is.  1 game in 10 comes off smooth and frankly the ones that do got lucky or weren't very successful.
    So take a deep breath, play the single player mode and give them a break.   They will fix it in a relatively short time and you will be online and having fun.  In the mean time thank all your gods that you aren't them and move on.

Exactly

Most of the people whining are 16 year olds anyway

• It is down for a patch being put in so people don't miss content due to subscription service being down.

The stuff didn't crash they announced it on the website they were taking it down for a few hours to put it in. The game was working great yesterday and today so far. Little lag, and no crashing, no stuck mobs and /stuck being in the game to get unstuck!

• SunderSunder Member Posts: 334

While I am no employee of the company or anything, I can see a few POSSIBLE reasons for why the issues right now with the game being down.  I think it is crappy that the game is down, and I would like to play as much as the next person (who intends to play) BUT, one possibility due to the subsciption servers going down, they tried to make public what was supposed to be (and was therefore coded to be) subscriber only.  Due to server errors, they TRIED to do a good deed and bring out the event for everyone, but someone forgot to place a ; or maybe a ./ and the walls crumbled down.  Now they are scrambling through their code to find out where jimmy and john messed up, but it takes some time to find where a single ; is missing.  But, that is just one possibility.  Could be a dozen things.  They tried to do somethin, possibly a kind gesture, maybe not, and something was messed up.  To err is human... or something.  Lets all make nice and have some pie.

• demented669demented669 Member Posts: 402

there is a single player game not just multi.. if people forgot i been playing and then checking the site every few minutes so if you need your hellgate fix solo in single play is good stuff

• mxmissilemxmissile Member UncommonPosts: 275

It's sad we the users *still* put up with crap releases!  Why does this happen?  IMO its the fanboi's fault, they stick up for crappy service and lazy developers like this.  They are ruining the entire PC gaming industry.  Until *everyone* demands better service and quality, we will never get it.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

Typical Day 1 woes. Hardly a disaster.

Not that its frequency makes it less annoying, but you should be yelling at the entire online gaming market, not Flagship.

Didn't Vanguard have one of the more stable first days in terms of server uptime?

Originally posted by mxmissile

It's sad we the users *still* put up with crap releases!  Why does this happen?  IMO its the fanboi's fault, they stick up for crappy service and lazy developers like this.  They are ruining the entire PC gaming industry.  Until *everyone* demands better service and quality, we will never get it.

It is kind of the nature of any high-load server to buckle on the first day, whether it is being used to host an MMO or not. Multimillion dollar website launches do this. Online banking services do this. It's not a failure of technical expertise as much as the near impossibility of accurately estimating what the load will be.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon