Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA adds adware to HGL! How far is too far?

Comments

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Originally posted by mackdawg19

When Blizzard changes it EULA, or makes changes to it you always know. How? Because you have to agree to it again. When do these changes occur usually? Its marked on the EULA. How would i know its changed? Changes are made and put into play usually the next update, were when you log in you have to resign the agreement. So what was your point again demon? As far as I can see, and am pretty sure. If EA changes the EULA, it will be during a patch and you will have to resign it. I have never played a game that changed a EULA without you knowing it or atleast making you resign it.

So true people are so naive, in most part because 99.9% of the people posting here never EVER read the EULA and just clicked accept, if they change it they will make you accept or decline again, it is YOUR CHOICE to accept it or not, and about them being able to change the EULA without prior notice, well that's what ALL companies do, its their safe net, if there is a loop hole you can exploit in your favor they will change it, but then again, you have to accept the conditions to use the product.

• RyjelbloodRyjelblood Member Posts: 48

Well I was looking forward to Hellgate, but it looks like this will be another game I wont be picking up for the PC.  Just like the DRM mess with Bioshock which caused me to not buy that game for my PC.

I've been looking forward to Mythic's Warhammer Online for years, now I wonder in what way EA will screw up that game and cause me to not support it.

• Originally posted by Ryjelblood

Well I was looking forward to Hellgate, but it looks like this will be another game I wont be picking up for the PC.  Just like the DRM mess with Bioshock which caused me to not buy that game for my PC.
    I've been looking forward to Mythic's Warhammer Online for years, now I wonder in what way EA will screw up that game and cause me to not support it.

If this is keeping you away from Hellgate you won't be playing Warhammer either.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Originally posted by Ryjelblood

read the EULA for WAR when it comes out. See if there is a difference. Right now EA is attempting to push the boundaries and seeing what they can get away with as a publisher.

Also note they are teaming up with Massive Inc, which is microsofts ingame adware and marketing company. If they can find a way to use you as a resource for more revinue gain, like taking a survey, they will.

I think you will be safer waiting for AoC in my opinion.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

"So true people are so naive, in most part because 99.9% of the people posting here never EVER read the EULA and just clicked accept, if they change it they will make you accept or decline again, it is YOUR CHOICE to accept it or not, and about them being able to change the EULA without prior notice, well that's what ALL companies do, its their safe net, if there is a loop hole you can exploit in your favor they will change it, but then again, you have to accept the conditions to use the product."

99.9%?

I am assuming almost ALL of us on this site know how to read and unless we are under the age of 13, we kinda can figure out what the EULA means....

Then again that might just be me...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Massive also provides the advertisements seen by free players in AO. Easy solution: get Peerguardian 2 ( or use your firewall ), add the Massive servers to the blocked list, and enjoy ad-free gaming. I have plenty of fr00b bank toons in AO. No ads get through on my free accounts. It's bliss.

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558
    Originally posted by NasherUK

I will most deffinately be adding their add server IPs to my firewall :P
    They can't take date from your PC without you agreeing to it specificly and knowing exactly what they are taking each time.  It doesn't matter what the EULA says it cannot override the law.
    They are basically using spyware and there is no other way to put it...

I think that would also violate a couple of law in California.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

How many of you play the latest Battlefield game? Everyone knew that EA had put in their spy stuff in that game and it is one of the hotter selling games. Well if not hotter selling, ...bah, you all know what I mean.

Where was the outcry then? I have to be honest, I don't recall any outrage about EA doing basicallly the same thing with that game as they are with Hellgate...might just be me, and it is 2 a.m. and my phone is ringing...tools...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Originally posted by Slampig

How many of you play the latest Battlefield game? Everyone knew that EA had put in their spy stuff in that game and it is one of the hotter selling games. Well if not hotter selling, ...bah, you all know what I mean.

Where was the outcry then? I have to be honest, I don't recall any outrage about EA doing basicallly the same thing with that game as they are with Hellgate...might just be me, and it is 2 a.m. and my phone is ringing...tools...

im pretty sure battlefield 2142 bombed.. pun intended, much of it had to do with EA.

Also if anyone remembers Planetside. One of the most hated parts of the game was walking into your base and seeing those large ads. Even when the game was p2p you had to see them. This was done by the same company, Massive Inc.

• MartinmasMartinmas Member UncommonPosts: 239

Originally posted by Slampig

I know a few people including myself who do not play Battlefield 2142 because of that reason. I do not mind Blizzard or Sony looking at my computer to keep people from cheating in the game, hence forth making it a better game experience for me, but to rummage through my system and gather information about me so they can sell more ad-space is not something I want happening.

• herennowherennow Member UncommonPosts: 70

Originally posted by zaxxon23

I could be wrong but I believe a clause like this is pretty common in MMOs.  I believe Blizzard's warden for WoW is very similiar and includes a similiar clause in the eula.  This information allows them to better track hacks and cheats, as well as identifying network bottlenecks, performance issues, and the like.
    I think you may be taking this a bit out of context.

no, the WoW clause does not say that. it says they have the right to search your hardware and software for third party programs and hacking machinery. They specifically say they will NOT share information. After the hugh and cry caused by Gates trying the stunt the OP describes EA pulling in his software they were upfront about what they were doing and why.

As I understand it Blizzard did this in response to the creation of third party botware used primarily to gold farm. Just google it and you'll find out what they were up against .  At that time I was a subscriber sick of gold spam and happily signed up to the EULA having been explicitly warned by the Blizzard people what they were doing and why.

Having ware designed to snoop my pc and a EULA that has buried in it somewhere a legalistic clause that turns out to give them sharing rights is the very definition of spyware. You are installing in good faith software that is sharing information about you in bad faith that you do not understand or are not aware of: Spyware. Until this is cleared up and EU have issued an explicit, easy to understand, statement  that this is not the case I would suggest people think long and hard about installing this on their PC's.

Shame really, i was only searching these forums for a reason to get over my hissy fit yesterday and go back and renew my re-order.

• theforzetheforze Member Posts: 38

I really cant decide who is the greater evil $OE or EA !?

Let's vote & see which of these assholes wins...

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?bcottea

The Deathstar destroyed planets...SOE destroyed Galaxies

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    SWG | EVE | WOW | VG | LOTRO | WAR | FML | STO | APB | AOC | MORTAL | WOT

Originally posted by theforze

I really cant decide who is the greater evil $OE or EA !?

Let's vote & see which of these assholes wins...

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?bcottea

actually

SOE is not as bad as people make them sound. They just make bad decisions business wise. EA makes morally bad desicions. You see SOE wants to offer good services but they are current not talented enough to do that. EA on the other hand, doesnt care about good services, they just want to screw you over.

A few of my friends work for SOE, they pretty much said most of SOEs problems came from the few people in charge of it, who had no idea what they were doing. Recently with the launch of the PS3 and its grand plans, there has been huge ammount of restructuring within Sony. I beileve SOE is getting some restructuring and new people in charge, so we shall see where that goes.

Anyways....

as far as WoW goes... They can only search your RAM to see if any cheat software is loaded. Thats ALOT difference than checking your entire computer.

Rabenwolf, you have mates in SOE? Well if they ever get new bosses  who understand pc gamers can you get them to suggest resetting  SWG into the original format with sandbox crafting (we'd happily tolerate doctor buffs being downgraded just to get our game back) but maybe this time with content? Oh and if they are concerned about pvp balances caused by the multiple skill trees they could always change the effects on players as opposed to npcs rather than swinging the nerf bat quite so wildly and then breaking the game.

I apologise for this being so completley off-topic but if there was ever a game oozing potential that was it.

Originally posted by herennow

Rabenwolf, you have mates in SOE? Well if they ever get new bosses  who understand pc gamers can you get them to suggest resetting  SWG into the original format with sandbox crafting (we'd happily tolerate doctor buffs being downgraded just to get our game back) but maybe this time with content? Oh and if they are concerned about pvp balances caused by the multiple skill trees they could always change the effects on players as opposed to npcs rather than swinging the nerf bat quite so wildly and then breaking the game.
    I apologise for this being so completley off-topic but if there was ever a game oozing potential that was it.

Yes i have friends all over the place here in both the film and game industry. 

haha im sorry to say but SWG is a lost cause. All their attention is focused on the newer projects coming out. They are really attempting to get the PS3 with some MMO games as well as PC games. As you know the Xbox is getting a couple MMORPG titles and so they have to work on their end too for the PS3.

You should look up "true Galaxies" on google and stay tuned to that. Cheers.

Will do. Thanks for the feedback.

• Thomas2641Thomas2641 Member Posts: 143

Quote: "This is a dealbreaker and I just cancelled my preorder. I will not pay a monthly fee for stuff that's also supported by advertising. EA is trying to "double bang" us with a sub, then taking payments at the other end from advertisers. It's not a good deal. If they made it free to play they can put all the ads they want in there. This is the same reason I won't be subscribing to Tabula Rasa." END QUOTE!

You say that EA will be "double banging" their customers... Now lets count! : 1: Monthly paid fees, 2: ingame adds, 3: tracking your behaviour and sharing it with partners! I consider that to be a "triple banging"! I bet their customers will have sore behinds each and every time they log out from that game! I for one would never buy a game that treats their customers like that!  -And since most intelligent grownups probably feel the same - and would then stay away from that game - then whats left is children and immature peeps playing! Some community that will be!

ok, /rant off

Originally posted by Rabenwolf

haha im sorry to say but SWG is a lost cause. All their attention is focused on the newer projects coming out. They are really attempting to get the PS3 with some MMO games as well as PC games. As you know the Xbox is getting a couple MMORPG titles and so they have to work on their end too for the PS3.

Lol you mean there to buzy trying to rescue the PS3! ...What a waste of time & resources

Whether they try to rescue SWG or the PS3 either way their flogging a dead horse

Lol another fine mess from the world leader in f**k ups haha

oh btw m8 just cos ur m8 works for Stupid Online Entertainment do you have

to fight thier battles for them in every thread in the MMORPG forums?

Originally posted by Thomas2641

Quote: "This is a dealbreaker and I just cancelled my preorder. I will not pay a monthly fee for stuff that's also supported by advertising. EA is trying to "double bang" us with a sub, then taking payments at the other end from advertisers. It's not a good deal. If they made it free to play they can put all the ads they want in there. This is the same reason I won't be subscribing to Tabula Rasa." END QUOTE!
    You say that EA will be "double banging" their customers... Now lets count! : 1: Monthly paid fees, 2: ingame adds, 3: tracking your behaviour and sharing it with partners! I consider that to be a "triple banging"! I bet their customers will have sore behinds each and every time they log out from that game! I for one would never buy a game that treats their customers like that!  -And since most intelligent grownups probably feel the same - and would then stay away from that game - then whats left is children and immature peeps playing! Some community that will be!
    ok, /rant off

You forget, you still have to pay for those expansion updates they will be offering. So the pay plan is, you have a subscription fee to pvp and get new gear plus updates, PLUS you have the ads, Plus your info is shared and sold and then used for stat purposes and those previous ads, plus you are paying another 30-40 bucks for expansions.

A nice deal right? its a money sink.

Originally posted by Rabenwolf

Lol you mean there to buzy trying to rescue the PS3! ...What a waste of time & resources

Whether they try to rescue SWG or the PS3 either way their flogging a dead horse

Lol another fine mess from the world leader in f**k ups haha

oh btw m8 just cos ur m8 works for  Stupid Online Entertainment

do you have to arselick them in every thread in the MMORPG forums?

Woah there champ. Hold yer horses. lol

They are not trying to rescue the PS3, rescuing implies that it was a fiasco, which it was not. If you havent been paying attention, the PS3 is a console that is made for a long term approach. As a entertainment system, it relies on current technology to catch up and for its projects to finish in the developement cycle.

You know next gen gaming takes longer to make right? The firm ware is more like an operating system that is constantly being added to, some of these very ambitious projects cant be made and then just released. Its a long process and they knew this, and made it absolutely clear that it would be this way.

I dont know why people do not listen. The PS3 is the best console on the market in my opinion. The only thing is lacks is a larger game library... which most of their big titles are still being produced. Games can take upwards of 4 years to make bud. Megal Gear Solid for example.

And no, the restructuring within the company has to do with key members retiring and optimizing the companies assets in order to increase the budget for their other projects. They sold off a few of their companies that were not related to media in order to put a higher investment in their entertainment side. This includes their movie studio as well as their gaming studio. A smart move because as corporation, they were getting spread thin by having their hands in everything.

They, their stock holders and investors know the PS3 is exactly what they have planned and know it will be a success, thus they are willing to focus on it even more now that they can specialize in the entertainment field.

Its no surprise its the most stable console on the market by the way. The xbox has had failures because it was released too early and not properly tested. Thus Microsoft spent over 1billion dollars just to fix broken xbox 360's. They were forced to increase their warranty from 6 months to 1 year to 3 years because of this. Even the elite chipset melts.

The wii is an upgraded gamecube, also experiences heat problems if not unplugged. Its old hardware and nintendo makes a profit off of each console sold.

Sony takes the biggest hit on the PS3 because the technology is new and expensive to make, but like always, new technology lowers in price after it has been exposed to the consumer market.  The PS3 is the most advanced system created for a console, using PC based hard drives and advanced chipsets, with a cpu that can multitask "cell" by both supporting the gpu and the rest of the rig. It uses Bluray which is coming out on top in the format war, and has an impressive gpu that deals in more cinematic quality gaming and video.

You should get your facts straight before falling into the ignorant ps3 hate. Most of it stems from Ignorance and not knowing factually what is going on.

Bias leads to ignorance, and ignorance leads to the fanboy side. Something you are deeply in. Unlike you I actually know what is going on in SOE, im not blindly hating it for no reason. Because i can factually talk about the problems with SOE and where they are going, does not mean im ass licking anyone kid. It means i know the facts and am not fooled by fanboy behavior.

Here is something that will bust your bubble. Sony owns the rights for everquest. So guess what, sony also owns a movie studio... a very nice one by the way. Been there many times to watch rough cuts of upcoming films. So guess what, yes when the world of warcraft movie comes out, so too will there be an Everquest film. They did that on purpose, and yes its done intentionally and humorously due to both games being released around the same time.

Anyways this is about Hellgate, lets keep on topic.

Rabenwolf im sorry son but all i can say to own your 10 page essay is...

Nvidia 7600! ...yes the PS3 uses a 2yr old GPU FFS!

Your ignorant & YOU should get YOUR facts right as apposed to being so BIAS IT BLINDS YOU!

Simply the PS3 was out of date b4 it hit the shelf! ...so how can it be the best on the market?!

...& at £600 launch price LOL! now its £400 & still LOL FFS get a grip

Oh & btw yeh it was a fiasco cos they had issues with the case & bluray & other stuff which delayed

launch & ppl moaned about its price & that the 360 is half the price with a better GPU & overall spec

You've just proven with your 10 page flame that i hit a nerve

You are a either a SOE employie or a SOE fanboi (or both)

All i was saying before you FLAMED me is that you pop up in every SONY post rushing to their defense,

Just cos ur m8 works for SONY doe's that make you right? does that mean your opinion has to be

forced on to everyone else!? You sound like a SONY employie with that attitude,

stop crying & get a grip lad.

• jessianjessian Member Posts: 277

thats a pity as i was looking for a new mmorpg to play around on, noticed hellgate was due for launch, went to their website was impressed with the game, and came here to read posts and ask questions about it.

EA have now totally put me off buying this game.

Its actually against the law to install spyware on someones PC without their consent thats why EA stick it in their EULA.

Stand up to it, dont buy the game if you dont want spyware.

Originally posted by harg

It's funny because they are basicaly trading one dead horse for another. The PS3 has been one of the biggest flops this year, most of the people that buy it don't even use it for games but for the Blu-Ray. Analysts recently stated that PS3 sales were dismal, now look at the games available on the PS3.....what a joke.
     SWG had more money making potential than any of Sony's consoles and they made an arse of it.

Well no not really. You are already assuming the PS3 is dead, when it hasnt even yet really begun. I dont understand how people can be so ignorant to this fact.

Its not flop really, the PS3 release months outsold the xbox 360s release months. I dont know how you guys can ignore this fact and call it a failure. The system is expensive, no shit, but we all knew the price before it was released, so why be surprised. Now that they have some steady manufacturers setup for their hardware, the prices are able to become lower, the cpu is being changed to a smaller pin which is the same thing the 360 is doing because its cheaper and faster.

In fact the PS3 was a big hit in the UK and Australia.

So no it was not a flop champ, its just that everyone likes to make it seem that way. A lot of people do play games on it by the way, I would know, im around them all the time. Warkhawk was a huge success. Right now most are waiting for the large selection of titles to come out that are still in development.

There is a reason the makers of Gears of War switched over to the PS3, signing a contract to stick with the console. Reasons why many developers are going towards the PS3. Because it was a flop? not at all.

Also lets not confuse SOE and Sony Playstation, despite the Sony ownership they are two completely different companies. There is not one big puppet master controlling every sony company, each company makes its own decisions for the most part.

Rabenwolf im sorry son but all i can say to own your 10 page essay is...
    Nvidia 7600! ...yes the PS3 uses a 2yr old GPU FFS!
    Your ignorant & YOU should get YOUR facts right as apposed to being so BIAS IT BLINDS YOU!
    Simply the PS3 was out of date b4 it hit the shelf! ...so how can it be the best on the market?!
    ...& at £600 launch price LOL! now its £400 & still LOL FFS get a grip
    Oh & btw yeh it was a fiasco cos they had issues with the case & bluray & other stuff which delayed
    launch & ppl moaned about its price & that the 360 is half the price with a better GPU & overall spec
    You've just proven with your 10 page flame that i hit a nerve
    You are a either a SOE employie or a SOE fanboi (or both)
    All i was saying before you FLAMED me is that you pop up in every SONY post rushing to their defense,
    Just cos ur m8 works for SONY doe's that make you right? does that mean your opinion has to be forced
    on to everyone else!? You sound like a SONY employie with that attitude, stop crying & get a grip lad.

Nice edit you did there. You still cant spell worth crap.

Ah i see you think that all next gen titles must therefore use Directx 10 to look good. You are sadly mistaken.

You didnt hit a nerve, rather you hit a desire for me to help educate an ignorant fanboy.

"All i was saying before you FLAMED me is that you pop up in every SONY post rushing to their defense,"

Thats funny because this is MMORPG.com and this is a Hellgate forum and this seems to be the only topic that Sony was brought up in. How ironic.. are you on crack?

The simple fact remains is that I am informed...and you are not. I will let you figure the rest out kiddo. Nice attempt at trolling.

Get back on topic if you can.

"You are a either a SOE employie or a SOE fanboi (or both)"

Or... im an unbiased, educated and well informed individual involved in the industry. Nice try though, by the way... its spelled EMPLOYEE. And no I do not work for Sony.

Originally posted by jessian

thats a pity as i was looking for a new mmorpg to play around on, noticed hellgate was due for launch, went to their website was impressed with the game, and came here to read posts and ask questions about it.
    EA have now totally put me off buying this game.
    Its actually against the law to install spyware on someones PC without their consent thats why EA stick it in their EULA.
    Stand up to it, dont buy the game if you dont want spyware.

aye tis a pity m8

Harg ur wasting ur time with him m8, he chats crap, I mean the PS3 outselling the 360 in

release months!? ...where do you get this crap!? ...In what country!?

This is the type of PR that SONY come out with, You sound more & more like a SONY employie with

every post, You truly are blinded by ignorance lad, Just drop it, we can agree to disagree, simple

This post has strayed way off topic now

We were meant to be flaming EA not SONY (I know they can be mistaken very easily)