Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I tried to return to it.

It's not like it's horrible. ( Currently it seems from the 14 day trial as a Solable EQ/WoW clone with a sci fi twist and aslight tip of the ol hat to Star Wars.) I was THIS CLOSE to ordering the game and playing when I heard a rumor about the contract with SOE is up next year. I REALLY want aSci-FI MMO so I can take abreak from WoW from time to time but OMG.. almost all the gfx bugs is STILL there and they still haven't fixed their latency issues! (customer service is about dead as adoornail.)

Truth is the OLD original system needed a few things to make it right. A bit of balance with riflemen and medics.

Jedi should have remained 'Perma death' ala Diablo hardcore.

They FINALLY seem to add criminals as another faction (didn't really ge tto deep into that as was originally suppsoed to been in the game.

They needed to Make Imperials 'easy' mode of the game and Rebels 'hard' mode of the game to show the rebels struggling while the Imperials walked all over them.

Oh and add end game content which the content albeit buggy is good.

Seems you can enter space stations now (thank gawd I mean really how hard was it to do that?)

Space never was an issue to me except I couldn't fight alongside or against Imperial/rebel ships.

Well anywho, with the possiblility it will shut down next year I gave up.

I just hope we get areal sci fi MMO soon the population is dying for it.

Realmreaver formally of EQ, SWG, FFXI and WoW.

Malis/Pirotess of PSO.

Some named of Diablo 1 and 2 =)

Grendel Kinguard of GW.

Comments

• Each year there is a rumor going around saying that the contract is up in a year. I first heard it with the announcement of the CU which was 3 years ago. As long as Sony is willing to pay for the rights to Lucas he doesn't care. He doesn't like having competing franchises in the same genre, but doesn't care if they are in different era's of his universe. Pulling from the miniatures, cards, and other physical games released in the past. (Though that also had to do with Hasbro acquiring Wizards of the Coast).

If Bioware were to ever truly actually which probly won't ever happen cuz it would be to cool and make KoToR:Online Lucas wouldn't pull the Sony licensing rights, but if Bioware or another company wanted to make an ep: 4-6 MMo then Lucas would have to make a decision on who he was going to let hold the license.

• YendoYendo Member Posts: 64

The more i read the more i think Bioware/EA is working on another SW mmo, and i think that one of the reasons SOE keeps saying they cant open a Pre-NGE server.

Maybe one of the devs that have jumped ship had the rights to the pre-nge codeing and has given it to Bioware. They have already said they are playing this new MMO, how is the possible so quickly? Why hire Devs that specifly worked on SWG, why move to Austin?

Money's is the end all in bussiness and i'm sure Sony knows thats a pre-neg server would make them more money and get them better press then what they have now

• It becomes far to difficult to undo a change once it is changed. Now with NGE being 2 of the 4 years galaxies has existed it is truly the game as it is defined now. CU and pre-CU are but a footnote to the game now due to their incredibly short time period they existed for the current run of the game.

Now I agree people might come back, but they may lose just as many new players who are now established 2 year vets who have known nothing but the NGE, and maintaining 2 different code bases is only asking for trouble as you may be fixing 2 bugs twice once on each server which require completely different teams to maintain.

2x the upkeep is not the way to make money at all.

• xacovaxacova Member Posts: 190

Originally posted by namelessbob

It becomes far to difficult to undo a change once it is changed. Now with NGE being 2 of the 4 years galaxies has existed it is truly the game as it is defined now. CU and pre-CU are but a footnote to the game now due to their incredibly short time period they existed for the current run of the game.
    Now I agree people might come back, but they may lose just as many new players who are now established 2 year vets who have known nothing but the NGE, and maintaining 2 different code bases is only asking for trouble as you may be fixing 2 bugs twice once on each server which require completely different teams to maintain.
    2x the upkeep is not the way to make money at all.
    I disagree and  agree, it certainly would not be fair to the current players to force them to use a pre-cu or cu version of the game and that would make exactly the same mistake yet again soe.

But there really is no excuse for soe not to do a classic server, i'm convinced if they did do a classic server it would would have a bigger player base than they currently have for subscriptions to the nge.

I know it would not get all the other veterans back thats for sure, but it would be a good start and its it only themselves who are holding back the chance to put things right and pick the game up out of its self decent, perhaps start making money again and be able to fund some development to game and gain some positive reviews for once instead of rehassing old content they took away, and dressing it up to look like new shiny bling.

x2 the upkeep .....at least double the subscriber base maybe even qaudruple the current

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604

Originally posted by xacova

I disagree and  agree, it certainly would not be fair to the current players to force them to use a pre-cu or cu version of the game and that would make exactly the same mistake yet again soe.

But there really is no excuse for soe not to do a classic server, i'm convinced if they did do a classic server it would would have a bigger player base than they currently have for subscriptions to the nge.
    I know it would not get all the other veterans back thats for sure, but it would be a good start and its it only themselves who are holding back the chance to put things right and pick the game up out of its self decent, perhaps start making money again and be able to fund some development to game and gain some positive reviews for once instead of rehassing old content they took away, and dressing it up to look like new shiny bling.
    x2 the upkeep .....at least double the subscriber base maybe even qaudruple the current
    There are several excuses for SOE not to go with classics.

Aside from possible contractual issues with LA/LEC, of which I will not venture a guess, there is the simple matter of recupping losses on an already very expensive product.  All these costs - original development, CU, NGE, loss subs, patching NGE, cost of setting up classic servers, ect - must be paid down before projected profit can be shown and yet another major change to the game justified.

To this equation must be added the likelihood that SWG is in its twilight years, with a planned replacement 2-4 years out.  This establishes a very narrow window of opportunity.  Even given the very optimistic belief that the majority of vets will return AND STAY (there is some potentially stiff competition on the horizon), I do not believe classic servers can show the necessary margin to warrant the move.

The time for classic servers probably passed a little less than a year ago.  That ship has sailed.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Yes the "criminal" content is one of the most fun features of the NGE, about the only thing other than bounty hunting that I liked but still not enough to keep me in the NGE.  I switched my BH to smuggler for those missions and shuttles block you from travelling so you'd have to drive 8,000 km or so and fight thugs on the way.

What boggles me is when they released the NGE, they claimed to have destroyed the old codes, which led them to having to recode the double row toolbar, target locking (god awful compared to original one), some vehicle functions and and some other combat aspects.  In my mind, destroying original material is totally incompetent, at least they didn't destroy the core system or crafting mechanics.

They should have stayed with the combat upgrade, by the end of octobor, it was improving greatly with the squadleader changes (squadleader only experienced their one and only revamp for 2.5 weeks before NGE), but the major problems with the CU were never ending heals and indestructable droids, which resulted in everyone in PvP running around with a droid of some kind behind them to force people into perma combat even if they tried to /peace out and when the droid was destroyed it was brought back to life a second later.  There were also some weapon exploits, especially the old-age lightsaber "stuffing" one, before the CU I had several perfect flawless perls and in the CU I was always accused of "stuffing" because I had the highest damage converted LS on the server (741 max dmg, next highest was 721) simply because my damage experimented hilt converted well from pre-CU with a +12pt suit.  But now in the NGE all that is irrelevant, even with 3 hilts fi8lled with perfect flawless I'm only 5-10 points above everyone else.