Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Almost 2 yrs later and what?

1235»

Comments

• MasterPain55MasterPain55 Member Posts: 257

i tried it again a few days ago, it hasn't improved at all. the game will never be what it originally was. SWG was by far the best mmorpg ever made but the devs decided to shit all over it and turned it inside out untill the only thing left were the abadoned houses with they latter decided to shit on also.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

Originally posted by sookster54

Originally posted by Suvroc

Originally posted by bLoOdYm3

i dont get it dudes...

I hear so many ppl have beens dissapointed by SOE and SWG tself.

I agree in a partial way of viewing the problem but if so there are so many problems then y are so many players still on the game?

Many ppl keep playing Star Wars Galaxies and have a lot of fun 2.If as u say u r so dissapointed then y bother play the game or even post in to SWG forums?...

Dont get this the wrong way,,i m just curious..

If I still played SWG I'd be posting on their official forums - not here.

Same, I still read the forums sometimes and at times I wish I was subscribed just to reply to some idiot on there.

I've read some of the pre-CU related threads and people say that there aren't as many negativity about the NGE as some say there to be but someone made a point "the ones that likes pre CU or doesn't like the NGE aren't active anymore" hence can't post on the SWG forums. MMORPG forums is where the chunk of us are, and I actually think SWGEmu's forum is getting more members than SWG's official forums has active overall right now.

Funny thing to me is that I to read the official forums (old habits die hard it seems) and I'm surprised, but not shocked, at how many people still say they prefer pre-CU. It's like SWG now is some kind of consolation prize rather then a first place trophy.

Besides, how can they gauge the "negativity" people have towards the NGE when it gets deleted from the official forums?

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by sookster54

i dont get it dudes...
    I agree in a partial way of viewing the problem but if so there are so many problems then y are so many players still on the game?
    Many ppl keep playing Star Wars Galaxies and have a lot of fun 2.If as u say u r so dissapointed then y bother play the game or even post in to SWG forums?...
    If I still played SWG I'd be posting on their official forums - not here.

Same, I still read the forums sometimes and at times I wish I was subscribed just to reply to some idiot on there.

I've read some of the pre-CU related threads and people say that there aren't as many negativity about the NGE as some say there to be but someone made a point "the ones that likes pre CU or doesn't like the NGE aren't active anymore" hence can't post on the SWG forums. MMORPG forums is where the chunk of us are, and I actually think SWGEmu's forum is getting more members than SWG's official forums has active overall right now.

Funny thing to me is that I to read the official forums (old habits die hard it seems) and I'm surprised, but not shocked, at how many people still say they prefer pre-CU. It's like SWG now is some kind of consolation prize rather then a first place trophy.
    Besides, how can they gauge the "negativity" people have towards the NGE when it gets deleted from the official forums?

Yes they do get deleted, even most of the "pre cu" ones do but thankfully the mods aren't quick off their feet to delete it before it reaches the 5th or 6th page and it usually gets that big within hours of creation.

• BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406

i dont get it dudes...

Bro you dont get it because you have only played a year (as stated in previous post) 

look at it this way, lets say SOE said tomorrow, "OK we want to change the direction of the game. We are going to remove your profession, We are going to make everything you have done in game, everything you have aquired in game worthless to you now." 

How would you feel about that? 

Now add to this the bait and switch, being told to leave if we did not like it, the Devs attacking the players on the forums, the game forums taking on the air of a police state in locking threads and banning accounts.  The lies the deceit the rudeness the contempt ,And a complete lack of sympathy, understanding and respect for there paying customers.

Now take into acount some people had multiple accounts, had  spent several hundred to several thousand dollars, and spent hundreds or thousands of  hours of  time playing. 

Now multiply that by 100,000 plus  people, do you begin to understand?

We invested in SWG because we enjoyed the previous version, SOE took everything away, because of jealousy for WOW's 10 million subs in other words greed ,they screwed over there paying customers because they got greedy and LA probally pushed them into it. 

And that is why so many bear SOE a very large grudge.  

And why no matter how "good" NGE SWG becomes it will always be Not Good Enough, And why the "vocal minority" still griefs SOE. And why we DONT play SWG anymore.

Why should the vets shutup and  move on? So the next MMO can do it to there customers? So SOE can continue to do it to there present customers?

Now do you begin to understand?   I really cant make it any clearer.SOE declared war on its customers and  some  feel obliged to fight back.

Humbly yours: BushMonkey,that scrawny wookie from Flurry MRM MCH Ranger Tracker to the end.

Former resident of New Sativa Talus

Originally posted by BushMonkey

i dont get it dudes...
     Bro you dont get it because you have only played a year (as stated in previous post) 

look at it this way, lets say SOE said tomorrow, "OK we want to change the direction of the game. We are going to remove your profession, We are going to make everything you have done in game, everything you have aquired in game worthless to you now." 

Now add to this the bait and switch, being told to leave if we did not like it, the Devs attacking the players on the forums, the game forums taking on the air of a police state in locking threads and banning accounts.  The lies the deceit the rudeness the contempt ,And a complete lack of sympathy, understanding and respect for there paying customers.

Now take into acount some people had multiple accounts, had  spent several hundred to several thousand dollars, and spent hundreds or thousands of  hours of  time playing. 

We invested in SWG because we enjoyed the previous version, SOE took everything away, because of jealousy for WOW's 10 million subs in other words greed ,they screwed over there paying customers because they got greedy and LA probally pushed them into it. 

And why no matter how "good" NGE SWG becomes it will always be Not Good Enough, And why the "vocal minority" still griefs SOE. And why we DONT play SWG anymore.

Why should the vets shutup and  move on? So the next MMO can do it to there customers? So SOE can continue to do it to there present customers?

Now do you begin to understand?   I really cant make it any clearer.SOE declared war on its customers and we feel obliged to fight back.

It's a revolution, man!

Off with their heads!!

: )

• BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406

Originally posted by BushMonkey

i dont get it dudes...

Now do you begin to understand?   I really cant make it any clearer.SOE declared war on its customers and we feel obliged to fight back.

It's a revolution, man!

Off with their heads!!

: )

Lol well is it  or is it not the truth? You tell me true beleivers.

• DeadJesterDeadJester Member Posts: 499

they need a server merger or free transfers I play on Tempest and the server is almost dead it was holding on but alot of new vets as in 2 yr players are switching to larger servers  and theres not enuff new players to keep the amount of servers running and full . also with the new system inplace you need a group to do most mid to high lvl missions this  cant be done if there is not players to group with . you mite  say why does he not just  make a new toon on a diffrent server . ill tell you why my toon is as old as the game and im not a  e-bay vet  so I wont  just toss out 4 yrs + of my life . to go play a game that is just not that good any more they need a SWG 2 or KoToR . the only reason the game is still around is because there is no other Starwars MMO.

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

Originally posted by tman5

Originally posted by daeandor

Content that never existed does not make it's implementation "not new."  Just because something was on paper at launch does not mean that when it is implemented it become immediately "old content - rehashed."

But you guys will never get it.  The game is better now.  SWG was never "great."  It just went from good to mediocre, to bad, to horrible, to bad, to mediocre, to good.
    The content existed.  The battlefields were there.  They just never worked.  Old content rehashed.

And you miss the point.  The game is better, true - better than NGE at launch.  It is not better than preCU.  The two "good" ratings you give are not comparable, at least in the minds of many on this forum.

I do get it, but the pre-CU "good" listed there was pre pub 7 (I believe) before they implemented holocrons.  What many people refer to as pre-CU (just prior to CU), I rate as mediocre.  And I do get that most here think that the state of SWG just prior to CU was very good to excellent.  I probably disagreed with you guys on some forum back then too.

As far as the battlefields, they are actually still there, and still not working.  They are empty barriers on opens sections of ground with absolutely nothing but normal planetary spawns inside.  Restuss is a new city (err destroyed), full of NPCs and objectives, with 2 new opposing faction bases, and all the weapons depots are new also.  The current GCW locations didn't exist pre-CU as they do now.  Hence, new.

In the end though, I have never thought SWG was all that great, just fun.  It's actually been fun for me for most of it's existence.  Pre-CU, CU, and NGE.  I do wish we could take all the good bug fixes, content additions and revamps, and transport back to around November 2003 and squish the game together back then.  Then, I think SWG would be excellent today

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Originally posted by AveBethos

I think you misunderstand to a degree...
    The NGE has more content?  The GCW is slightly more involved but nowhere NEAR what any of us had hoped it would be in late 2007, back in 2004.
    The Pre-CU had content.  It was called doing anything you like.  You could be anything and everything.  Missions weren't necessary to grind up XP.  It had content, it was just different content than any most other MMOs.
    I do like the storyteller feature they've added.  Aside from that, there is almost nothing worth waiting 2 years for.  You could be over 30 possible mixtures of professions before and if that isn't content I don't know exactly what is.  When the game launched the server capacity only had so much memory and allowabe bandwidth to allocate.  The professesions WERE the content, they were unique and entertaining. 
    Have you actually played the NGE missions?  They're terrible.  Worse than WoW.  Kill 5 rats, kill 5 durni, etc, etc.  It's really a simple if-then sequence that the developers use to give players a way to level up.  Well, Pre-CU had SOME missions, but you could go out to the countryside and simply level up without the need for missions, and it worked.
    I don't need to reguritate any of the differences between the 2, here is my point:
    The Pre-CU had content, the professions bought the developers time to add content in late, which they opted not to do.  The NGE has content in the form of missions and a slightly upgraded GCW.  However, you have lost content in the way group raids, Ranger abilities, and so many other professional possibilities. 
    So after 2 years has enough content been added back to make this game a justifiable version of SWG?  Absolutely not.  I don't even have to defend my answer, look at the subscriptions, they say all that needs to be said.  There are 2 viable servers left.  Good games draw in a playerbase, bad ones don't.  It is very safe to say that the potential playerbase views SWG as a BAD GAME.  The BEST things about SWG come for Pre-CU.  After 2 years the NGE is still a bad version of SWG.  Millions agree.
    See, that's where I disagree.  To me, grinding professions is not content.  I knew what I wanted my character to be (and he still has the same overall profession as he did 4 years ago) and I didn't want to have to grind into another profession simply because that's all that was available for content.  I wanted to be able to get my character involved in content that made use of the abilities I had grinded for.  Sadly, this never happened because the main focus was trying to fix bugs, balance professions and work on Jedi.  There was the Corvette, DWB and Geocaves which were fun - but that was only 3 areas. 

Mission terminals still work exactly the same as they did back pre-cu (although now they give XP rewards too).  Really though, they're not that different to what the Legacy quests are, although the Legacy provides a story (should you care to stop and read what the NPCs are saying) and introduces new players to the various planets.  These days, more of the game is used then before where "content" was concentrated in just a few areas (Coronet, Dant MO & The Village) - many planets were completely untouched by a large portion of the playerbase.  Today, content is spread out between all these planets.

many planets were completely untouched by a large portion of the playerbase.
    That is untrue. I always saw people in places you'd never think to find them, Yavin IV locations, scattered all over Dath, way south in Lok, NPC city cantinas were packed (Coronet, Theed, Bestine, Dearic).

When the CU came out in April, bounty hunter player missions were disabled for a long time until Blixtev released a publish in August, in the NGE the new characters had a huge gap between level 30-80 which I'm glad they fixed and added more quests. I hated trying to find things to kill with my new character in the 3rd slot because each planet had isolated level areas.

You forgot "twin lakes" as content for pre 9 Jedi on Endor, starter city wasn't always Mos Eisley when you created a new character, you were able to do any kind of mission off the terminal in any location (I used to do fambaas alot) and money usually came from items needed for crafting such as hide and meat.

The economy and market were a big part because of competition and unique specialty that differed among each crafter and seller. SWG was what RPG was all about, almost as if you are living in that universe.

Originally posted by Obraik

See, that's where I disagree.  To me, grinding professions is not content.  I knew what I wanted my character to be (and he still has the same overall profession as he did 4 years ago) and I didn't want to have to grind into another profession simply because that's all that was available for content.  I wanted to be able to get my character involved in content that made use of the abilities I had grinded for.  Sadly, this never happened because the main focus was trying to fix bugs, balance professions and work on Jedi.  There was the Corvette, DWB and Geocaves which were fun - but that was only 3 areas. 

I can understand what you're saying here, but it is unfortunate that you stuck with the same basic prof for 4 years. Trying new things was one of the best parts of SWG IMO, and as much as I despiced the hologrind chase I am thankful in a way for it cause it gave me the opportunety to try other profs like Creature Handler, Master Brawler, etc, that I normally never would have.

Turns out I had a great time with CH, and I would have enjoyed doing it again sometime. I did try the BM with the last free trial I had and I simply couldn't tolerate it.

• 0k210k21 Member Posts: 866

You know what ticks me off about this whole fiasco with the NGE and everything gameplay and development wise? SOE have done fuck all to try and please the playerbase that they picked, in the updates and news I've seen it's always... Come back to us vets! Not... Oh lets go and introduce something that we originally planned to happen so we can keep the player base happy, they're just trying to re-introduce the same old stuff except it's barely put together right.... I mean come on.... How can players in the NGE honestly like SOE when THEIR game isn't even fixed up right, it just amazes me how far SOE will go to neglect their playerbases no matter what game it is.

Quoting people doesn't make you clever, in fact, it makes you all the more stupid for not bothering to read the quotes you post in the first place.

<snip>

I can understand what you're saying here, but it is unfortunate that you stuck with the same basic prof for 4 years. Trying new things was one of the best parts of SWG IMO, and as much as I despiced the hologrind chase I am thankful in a way for it cause it gave me the opportunety to try other profs like Creature Handler, Master Brawler, etc, that I normally never would have.

Turns out I had a great time with CH, and I would have enjoyed doing it again sometime. I did try the BM with the last free trial I had and I simply couldn't tolerate it.

BM and MCH are 2 completely different things really.  I actually had 2 toons (on different servers back then) that were MCH, one was also MBH while the other was M. Ranger.  At this point, I have been playing for quite a while and am still mixed on the whole BM thing.  In some ways it is cool, but the reality is that I really loved the old taming of dangerous game.  Killing the creatures to take parts of their carcasses for incubation does not strike me as "iconic" to the original notion of the MCH.  I have yet to use my respecs to go into one of the combinations which work well with BM. 

All that said, you can make some really cool pets now that were completely unobtainable in the old days.

Originally posted by 0k21

You know what ticks me off about this whole fiasco with the NGE and everything gameplay and development wise? SOE have done fuck all to try and please the playerbase that they picked, in the updates and news I've seen it's always... Come back to us vets! Not... Oh lets go and introduce something that we originally planned to happen so we can keep the player base happy, they're just trying to re-introduce the same old stuff except it's barely put together right.... I mean come on.... How can players in the NGE honestly like SOE when THEIR game isn't even fixed up right, it just amazes me how far SOE will go to neglect their playerbases no matter what game it is.
    I've always said SOE is more interested in the dollars they don't have rather then the dollars they do get. Player retention seems to be an after thought. I, as an ex-subscriber, have had a total of 63 days so far this year to play for free. If I were a current subscriber I'd be screaming bloody murder over someone getting nearly 1/4 of the year to play for free. Has the regular subscriber base had 1/4 of their subscription re-imbursed? Nope.

The potential subscriber means more to SOE then the current subscriber, or so it seems. That is an absolute injustice to the current players IMO, and those people need to voice their opinion on this to SOE.

That has irritated me with the free subscription time.  Actually, what really irritates me about it is back when SOE started upping the subscription prices long ago.  I think my first sub price with SOE / EQ was $5.99 / month (for 3 month sub).  I may be wrong, but I do remember when they bumped it up and you had to sign up for 3 months to get a grandfathered price of like $8.99 or $9.99.  Then it crept up to $15.xx.  And everyone else followed suit.  When I consider that many of them run free game time, I feel that they could still be charging around $10/month.

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

Originally posted by 0k21

When the playerbase you toss your existing playerbase aside for still won't play your game, you are pretty well screwed.  The problem is, they want the playerbase they tossed aside to come crawling back to them, when they are the ones who need to do the crawling.  Smed even blamed the folks who quit for the poor state of the game, in an interview after it became clear to everyone that the NGE was a huge blunder.  It was our fault because we didn't give the NGE a chance and if we did we would realize it was wonderful.  A couple weeks later he posted on the official forum that the game was "nowhere near fun".

The folks at SOE think they are the wronged party, and they don't understand why we don't praise them for all the wonderful things they have done for us.  The developers have recently even threatened to stop communicating with the current playerbase if they don't stop being so negative.  They don't understand that the product they are selling is not a product that very many people want to buy.

The limited playerbase they have left are the folks who are willing to be abused.  They may complain about the abuse from time to time, but they aren't going to leave.  As long as you have a set of customers like that, why would you waste time trying to make them happy, when you can focus on the folks who don't play without having to worry about those who do quitting?

As long as the current playerbase is willing to accept shit, SOE is going to keep shitting on them.  If a large chunk of the playerbase decide to grow a spine and demand a better product or quit, the game will likely be shut down.  SOE is not going to offer up a better product, nor do I think anyone in their Austin studio is capable of anything more than what SWG currently is.  The DC Comics game is going to be horrible.

• AveBethosAveBethos Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by daeandor

Originally posted by Daffid011

I don't get how people keep saying "revamped" this or "revamped" that somehow constitutes new content.  If there was a dungeon in game and it gets reworked, that isn't new content.  Neither is the GCW in any of its countless drastic sweeping changes.  It is something that was and is still in the game.  New twists, yes, new content no.
    It seems the people post NGE seem to think that old game content getting tweeks and changes somehow justifies 2 years of almost nothing. 
    It is new content when the original iteration was so bugged or useless that nobody bothered with it.  Previously there was absolutely no meaning to GCW individually.  Now there is some meaning.  The dungeons pre-CU were even more useless than they are now.  Some of the things I listed as "revamped" are old in concept and completely new in implementation.  For example:  the village is coming back, but it is nothing like what it was before.  Crafting has been revamped into something that is 10x better than it was before.  Space is about to get an overhaul.  And read my other posts where I point out that I don't feel that everything is roses, just better than people in this forum try to make it out to be.  If you read any of my posts on NGE, the one thing I miss most is the classless / levelless system of pre-CU.

And for the record, I've played SWG since Sept 3, 2003, so I just happen to be pre and post NGE and everything in between.  In the end though there is still so much hatred for SOE it clouds many people in this section of the forum's judgement. 

The fact you have played throughout doesn't give you any more of a credible vantage point than anyone else, if anything you are the opposite of the "haters"... 

It's a game, no need for emotion to be involved on a personal level anymore.  However, it doesn't change the fact that this game is a direct identity theft of WoW, with a Star Wars skin, that isn't as fun to play.  This forum isn't the only place that shares this view. 

The subscriptions are so unimpressive when compared to other successful MMO's that it speaks all for itself.  People like you can make excuses all you want but the bottom line is all that matters.  The bottom line is that this game has been so mishandled is and is still so weak that very few people play it.  Why do you think that SOE/LA are targeting the veteran players with their marketing?  It's simple, they know that is their only real chance to increase subscriptions.

Just stop and use logic.

I was just reading some threads in the SWG general game play discussion forum, it's unbelievlable at how many threads pops up then gets deleted that it's easy to miss them and think everything is fine. Really goes to say they're hiding something.

Someone posted a url link to the SWG parody video on youtube, most of us has seen it with 2 guys doing the typical SWG day activities and even imitating the speeder bike warping and rubberbanding with his motorcycle. The thread got deleted 3 pages later because half the people were saying pre-CU was better. I think the word "pre-CU" or "CU" is what gets threads deleted.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

I certainly tried some things, but I kept the majority of my skill points in some form of Medic combo - I was CH for around 6 months.  Beast master is rather different to what CH was.  Personally, I find it more indepth and involving then what CH was.

Originally posted by AveBethos

<snip>

The fact you have played throughout doesn't give you any more of a credible vantage point than anyone else, if anything you are the opposite of the "haters"... 

It's a game, no need for emotion to be involved on a personal level anymore.  However, it doesn't change the fact that this game is a direct identity theft of WoW, with a Star Wars skin, that isn't as fun to play.  This forum isn't the only place that shares this view. 

The subscriptions are so unimpressive when compared to other successful MMO's that it speaks all for itself.  People like you can make excuses all you want but the bottom line is all that matters.  The bottom line is that this game has been so mishandled is and is still so weak that very few people play it.  Why do you think that SOE/LA are targeting the veteran players with their marketing?  It's simple, they know that is their only real chance to increase subscriptions.

Just stop and use logic.

You tell me there is "no need for emotion to be involved on a personal level anymore," when I made no personal attacks other than my comment about hating SOE clouding judgment on SWG.  Then you make several personal attacks on me (see green)?

My point about subscriptions is that SWG is in the same boat as other games of similar generation / timeline.  Take DAOC for example, similar timeframe, similar circumstances with releasing content people didn't want, similar results with subscription numbers which are plummeting.  And they are using free game time to try and lure people back in.

Here's your personal attack:  People like you will always see negative in SWG.  I prefer to be positive.  Good luck.