Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

G & H Canceled...

Comments

• gamerman98gamerman98 Member UncommonPosts: 807

Well i already did my ROFL the first time i read the news...god, and to think i actually saw this game making it to launch. And it was just like a little while ago that my lil bro won the GnH contest and got himself that enrty into beta and free year sub....when he told me he totally defended the game. I told him it wont last long. So he goes and tries the beta for like 10 mins and decides he dont like it anymore....i cant wait to tell him the news lol. Anyway...PE shouldnt be making games if they dont know how and i feel really sorry for the Trek fans....STO is gonna be one huge flop.

• maxstonemaxstone Member Posts: 151

Well.....I can't say I have the same op/ed of everyone else here. I had been playing since late July right up until this weekend (a lot of people complaining I notice quit a lot earlier). The game, while not without it's share of early beta bugs, was quite fun for me as a PvE centric player. The quest stories made sense, the god system had promise, and the Nomad and Gladiators were dead sexy to play with. When they opened up their "Alpha" server (the QA server where they were ahead of the Beta players by 2-3 versions), the game played perfect and they moved the code over to Beta with a few more fixes. Like any fix, that added a couple new crash-bugs but nothing unexpected. I saw it getting better, but I guess I just had luck that my system didn't seem to tick off the code.

Anyhow, it's done now..no sense complaining because I don't play armchair Dev and I don't pretend to know what was going on behind the scenes (as so many so-called "expert" doom-sayers are apt to do here, which is why I hardly ever post). I'll just see if they give us some kinda of early access to STO as a make-up and wait out the next beta of a game that doesn't make me think of 12-year olds showing off their e-peen.

• JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member UncommonPosts: 439

I just don't understand why they'd release all those beta keys if they were closing up shop. By the time I got the key and downloaded the game, they've already skipped town so to speak. What a waste!

• LionexxLionexx Member UncommonPosts: 680
    Originally posted by Dvol

Not suprised at all TBH seems the WoWEQ formula has finally stopped being the norm. Love the setting of this game but gameplay from what ive seen on the Vids....meh
    Wonder if the great Game fixer SoE will try to rescue this vaporware title too. They are so sucessfull doing that.....Since its now DOA it had nothing New to offer except more of the same with twice the bugs. Oh well add one more new game to not come out due to lack of vision or dedication..

SoE was publishing this but they broke away from SoE a few months ago..

Playing: Everthing
    Played: DAoC,AC2,EvE,SWG,WAR,MXO,CoX,EQ2,L2,LOTRO,SB,UO,WoW.
    I have played every MMO that has ever come out.

• zuz3xzuz3x Member UncommonPosts: 63

Man i just got my Beta Key and they cancle it =P

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by Trenyt

Originally posted by Dvol
    Wonder if the great Game fixer SoE will try to rescue this vaporware title too.

That wont do the 'game' any favors either.

As for Star Trek Online, i think PE lost 95% (this is not an accurate percentage but a brief approximation and is not liable to be flamed :) ) of their player base when they stated that they would not be including ship interiors in the release.

Atm its sounding like a glorified Star Trek Armada, which is not what i was/am expecting for a proper star trek online mmorpg franchise.

I beg to differ...the comments from the Vanguard players has been positive, and EQ2 has grown to be one of the best games right now...of course they will never live down the SWG fiasco...and they have admitted to the mistake...so, just let it go

SOE has made EQ2 probably the best game I have played yet this year...all the fixes, content, and new expansion which will introduce some new changes to the models skeletons...it is worth every penny I have paid, and then some..

Some of the major updates coming for VG should make this quite playable in the following year...and hardware will catch up with the requirements...

Just let SWG die, and move along...

As to GnH...it was doomed with no crafting, PvP anyways...and the code was messed up...luckily, Bioware has the code in their hands, so that should be some miracle working, and maybe be one the best MMO's period...time will tell

Cheers!

Originally posted by JohnnyMotrin

I just don't understand why they'd release all those beta keys if they were closing up shop. By the time I got the key and downloaded the game, they've already skipped town so to speak. What a waste!
    That would be one of the reasons...the demand was so small..

I still remember getting two emails from them begging me to come and play as they needed further testing...

What...not enough players already?...geez...I think that was a telling sign alone

Well, good luck STO...your gonna need it

Cheers!

• aednaedn Member Posts: 70

The game while providing a new setting,and potentially intersting one, failed in most of the areas that it was going for, in addition to being a wow style clone as far as gameplay went. It had some good ideas, and alot of potential  if things could have been worked out.

As far as beta goes, it was pretty buggy, and really never progressed past an early beta stage. Once sony jumped on the POTBS bandwagon, it was just a matter of time till G&H would shut down.

As far as the whole vanguard /soe issue, quite simply Vanguard was far worse of a game then G&H due to the fact that investors threw stuipd ammounts of money at it. At least PE had the sense to put the game on hold, while vanguard just kept chugging along into niche mmo status. While it might be a good game like eq2 ended up being 2 years after release, its basically never going to expand or see any meaningful improvements upon its basic structure, due to lack of cash flow.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by openedge1

luckily, Bioware has the code in their hands, so that should be some miracle working, and maybe be one the best MMO's period...time will tell
    Cheers!

Well, I've seen you say this a few times, so figured I better clear it up for you. Bioware does NOT have the GnH code. Bioware bought a license to use the engine ( the Perpetual Engine) from PE for Biowares' upcoming mmo. Perpetual is selling licenses for their engine, and have been doing so for quite some time ( however, Bioware are the first to buy a license and the rumor is they're not as happy with it as they originally were).

PE still has the GnH IP, unless they sell it off to someone else.

And think about it. Bioware are not known for making the same game twice ( which is why they didn't do the sequels to their games). They also have a strong dislike of doing other peoples' IP. They even stated after KotOR ( which was the only game they've made using someone elses IP outside of Wizards of the Coast/Forgotten Realms ) came out that they would likely focus on their own IPs from that point on.

Thought I better fill ya in before we all end up with another "Bioware is making SWG 2/KotOR Online" type rumor.

• leftguardleftguard Member Posts: 70

Well I'm very sad to hear this news - I took part in beta for a month or so, and while it had it's problems with server stability, etc, it was otherwise I thought a well crafted game with a great theme and feel. And really when it was running smoothly (when the US was asleep lol) it was pretty spectacular to play.

Personally though my preference is for a game that gives you the choice to group with other players OR go solo, and the minion system - although great fun to try out - made it pretty much a single player game in many ways for me (similar perhaps to the availability of henchmen and heroes in Guild Wars), but to think of all the work that had gone into the game so far all counting for naught is extremely disappointing.

I have enormous sympathy for the members of the development team and the guys at the forums who tried so hard to iron out the bugs with us all.

I seem to remember other games being shelved, only to be resurrected bigger and better. Perhaps this will be one of them.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

HAHAHAHA

Good riddance, all we needed was more trash to hit the market and turn more people away from this genre.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• hellsinkhellsink Member UncommonPosts: 56

I am sad about the news. I was on beta and the game was really nice for a closed beta and I was enthusiastic about it.

I think its sad to see a good game being flushed down the toilet with so much bad games at the market as we can see nowadays. Nothing new is beeing released and every day we see more of the same game beeing released.

IMHO G&H was a good game that could have a log life with other games like EQ2, WOW and L2. It was well built, with a good story, good UI, nice graphics, etc.

Well, RIP Gods and Heroes.

• BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423

Originally posted by Tinybina

HAHAHAHA
    Good riddance, all we needed was more trash to hit the market and turn more people away from this genre.

The only problem with this statement is that there isn't to much to choose from for those of us that like this type of genre. G&H is all we had . And I dont consider Roma Victor to be any where near to what I was looking for.

• ElquinElquin Member UncommonPosts: 47

Very upsetting to find the game is cancelled when you get home from work and try to log on... I was finally enjoying an mmo and it gets cancelled.  It had it's bugs and flaws, but the potentials I saw were very exciting.  Oh well...  I still have TCoSB, Warhammer and AoC to look forward to.  My mmo fix hasn't been satisfied for a very long while now.

Playing- GWII.
    Played-VSoH, EQII, DF, PotBS, AC2, UO, AO, FFXI, WoW, EQII, DDO, KO, VSoH, CoH/CoV, LOTRO, GB, SWG, TR.

• SojuSoju Member UncommonPosts: 24

Well, I enjoyed it. I was logging into play beta whenever I had a few minutes to spare. I've played just about every mmo out there and I haven't had the same feeling since I beta tested EQ.

I was floored when I heard the news. This game was not ready for the shelves, but it was not crap. I didn't think twice about my WoW or EQ2 accounts while I was testing.

We all have our own opinion, and there are a lot of people jumping on the slam PE bandwagon. However, I know for a fact that many of us will miss this game. Many of us enjoyed every minute we had testing it.

PE really cared about getting this game right. They wanted us to be satisfied, and happy with this game. I know this for a fact, and no board troll will ever convince me otherwise. How many other companies really give a shit about providing a good game more than raking in the profits?

I hope this situation will change. If not , I really hope they give up the title to a competent group that will do it justice and give the mmo genre what it really needs at a time like this.

• AbstruseAbstruse Member Posts: 22

Originally posted by openedge1

As to GnH...it was doomed with no crafting, PvP anyways...and the code was messed up...luckily, Bioware has the code in their hands, so that should be some miracle working, and maybe be one the best MMO's period...time will tell

Bioware has licensed Perpetual's Online Technology Platform, NOT the game engine.  (They're using HeroEngine for game development.)

I suspect that SOE divorced from PE when they saw the problems in beta.  They couldn't afford another VG.

It's better for PE's reputation to cancel GnH than release a turkey, but they could have handled the cancellation more gracefully.

The game was a good concept, but they seemed to have chronic problems with the engine.  (Maybe PE could license the GW Nightfall engine and rebuild.)  In any case, the combat system was too clumsy and slow, probably to accomodate the minion system and fancy animations.  Pacing is critical.

• skepticalskeptical Member Posts: 357

I don't think SoE had anything to do with it getting canceled. You could make an MMO about clubbing baby seals and SoE would be happy to publish it. As long as they get a piece of the action and an excuse to jack up the price of a station pass they will put out any piece of crap game.

• DvolDvol Member Posts: 273

Ok here is a game that offered NOTHING NEW. It also was buggy and well medicore at best. Same old tired formula used over and over and over. Even if it did make it to live status it wouldn't be polished or up to par. I honestly think PE saw this and heard back from beta players how sucky the game was.

STO is their last hope in makin huge profitts. But i highly doubt it will be anything ground breaking. Actually i think CCP of EvE fame would have a better shot and making STO. Just bugs me this company is making STO based on being in beta. I can see STO doesnt have a very bright future if they put the same effort in it as they did GnH.

On the bright side at least its one less WowEQ clone we have to endure. Also shows game developers we are tired of the whole level loot easy mode gameplay. GnH was high on my too play list until beta. While in it i just could see another knockoff unoriginal bug fest we have all done before.

As much as i dislike SoE they had nothing to do with this crap fest. They have enough crap of their own. Even if they did would it suprise anyone? Dont matter now GnH R.I.P more vaporware.....They can still sell the rights to someone else.....No takers?.....didnt think so....

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

Well this is a chocker (no sarcasm). G&H looked decent enough to have moderate success. It wasnt great but wasnt bad either. 6-8 more months to polish it and it would of been OK.

Im getting used to being disappointed.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• zwarriorzwarrior Member Posts: 46

:-( I was looking at this game for a bit, but never really tried beta. Guess no luck anymore eh.

• Gaius2Gaius2 Member Posts: 17

Star Wars fans got their own - for a while.

Warcraft fans got their own.

Fantasy fans got their own on several levels.

Tolkien fans got their game.

There are several oriental manga genre games or medieval european. And now, Star Trek.

Poor, poor, my good old greco-roman world will never rise again. I am whining, complaining, and i am very frustrated. May be Roma Victor is a joke, but i can't laugh. Better just to go back to EQ2.

PS.: Fortunately i have my screenshots to cry some tears on :)

Gaius

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

To see a game cancelled, which was held in esteem is always sad, especially since it did look cool and unique. I am not SO surprised that it was cancelled, but it was cancelled so close to being ready.

GnH had two "red flags" which always put some doubt on it for me. One, the setting, ancient Rome, even if you take mythology into it, sounded less than cool. I mean, having the choice to live in a Fantasy world and be Dwarf, Sorcerer, Orc and whatnot and the more limited setting of a quasi-historic setting, I guess it didnt sound cool enough to many ppl, as it didnt get such a great hype than other games.

Second, I guess they gave in too much to the soloism-trend, by creating those one-man groups. I heard grouping was rare, and many felt more like playing an Online solo-game.

Still, its a loss. It looked good, both the vistas and the combat.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by Elikal

To see a game cancelled, which was held in esteem is always sad, especially since it did look cool and unique. I am not SO surprised that it was cancelled, but it was cancelled so close to being ready.
    GnH had two "red flags" which always put some doubt on it for me. One, the setting, ancient Rome, even if you take mythology into it, sounded less than cool. I mean, having the choice to live in a Fantasy world and be Dwarf, Sorcerer, Orc and whatnot and the more limited setting of a quasi-historic setting, I guess it didnt sound cool enough to many ppl, as it didnt get such a great hype than other games.
    Second, I guess they gave in too much to the soloism-trend, by creating those one-man groups. I heard grouping was rare, and many felt more like playing an Online solo-game.
    Still, its a loss. It looked good, both the vistas and the combat.

But, it was so buggy...even for closed beta...felt like an alpha release...horrible controls, bad AI, stupid animations except for melee classes...and the overall performance was a dog...

No...they were not going to meet deadlines, and still make money...so better to take a loss, and cut and run...as it was going nowhere fast.

Cheers!

• EstrusEstrus Member Posts: 357

Wonder if they are going to refund the preorders... 

Was at Best Buy today to pickup the Orange Box and there were like two huge stacks of G&H preorder boxes at $10 apiece.

• BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    Originally posted by Estrus

Wonder if they are going to refund the preorders... 
    Was at Best Buy today to pickup the Orange Box and there were like two huge stacks of G&H preorder boxes at $10 apiece.

The Best Buy  by my house as well had the preorder. Also  there were 4 copies of the Prima guide for G&H.