Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

G & H Canceled...

Gods and Heroes Likely Canceled

http://www.warcry.com/articles/view/breakingnews/2324-Breaking-News-Perpetual-Acquired-Gods-and-Heroes-Likely-Canceled

*edit* copy and pasted the info below

Breaking News: Gods and Heroes Canceled

by Dana Massey, 9 Oct 2007 4:43 pm

Perpetual Entertainment has indefinitely delayed (essentially canceled) Gods and Heroes. The company will continue work on their development platform and Star Trek Online, and continue its operations in the same San Francisco studio under the same management. Gods and Heroes: Rome Rising, though, is no more.

Our source tells us that the majority of the Gods and Heroes development team has been let go as part of the move, which comes only a few weeks after they had downsized and pushed back the release date. The Star Trek Online team, those who worked on the Perpetual Platform (which was recently licensed to BioWare) and a small number of people from the Gods and Heroes team will be remain with the company.

WarCry will bring you more details as the story unfolds.

Update 8:28 PM EST: We originally reported that Perpetual Entertainment had been acquired by another firm, but according to further sources at Perpetual this not in fact the case. It will continue on as described above with new investors.

*edit*

official statement released here.

http://community.godsandheroes.com/

Comments

• centrik91centrik91 Member Posts: 175

From what I saw in beta, the game was going no where fast.

• HadreynnHadreynn Member Posts: 112

Looks like the gentleman that posted something about this earlier this afternoon was far from wrong. 

This is quite a shock.

• mmonkeymmonkey Member Posts: 171

Still sucks to see a game go down like that. Elements of this title had potential, but I guess it never came together.

• centrik91centrik91 Member Posts: 175
    Originally posted by mmonkey

Still sucks to see a game go down like that. Elements of this title had potential, but I guess it never came together.

True, but at least it died with honor.  Now that it's gone, perpetual can focus on STO.  That game really seems like it's already going down hill.

• WolfheartWolfheart Member Posts: 19

Not that I am saying War Cry is wrong, but it would nice to see an OFFICIAL statement if this is indeed the case.

Its kind of a kick to the head to those that have tested this game for a LONG time, not to be told what is going on

• ZnithZnith Member Posts: 212

I dunno what's going on and I'm in the beta...      Can't post on any of their forums so unless they are upgrading something or broke something this isn't good.

• DvolDvol Member Posts: 273

Not suprised at all TBH seems the WoWEQ formula has finally stopped being the norm. Love the setting of this game but gameplay from what ive seen on the Vids....meh

Wonder if the great Game fixer SoE will try to rescue this vaporware title too. They are so sucessfull doing that.....Since its now DOA it had nothing New to offer except more of the same with twice the bugs. Oh well add one more new game to not come out due to lack of vision or dedication..

• WolfheartWolfheart Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by Znith

I dunno what's going on and I'm in the beta...      Can't post on any of their forums so unless they are upgrading something or broke something this isn't good.

Yes, I am in beta also, that is why I made my statement.

Am I as upset as the people that no longer have jobs because of this? (if its true) no, but again, just a official statement is all we need.

If it is true, it came out of no where, just yesterday a DEV was posting about handling petitions on WEDS..heh..guess we will find out soon enough.

• SlangerSlanger Member UncommonPosts: 280

Figures, I mean downsizing to make the game better... Once I saw that statement I knew something was up, no matter how they tried to spin it. And any company that has vaporware is not going to get any of my money. So I will not be playing STO, just one more game off the list.

Currently Playing: Eve-Online
    On the Backburner: EQ2
    Retired: EQ, DAoC, WW2Online
    RIP: AC2
    Tried: Ryzom, Roma Victor, RoM, KH2, Forsaken World, AO, AoC, APB
    Quit: SWG PRE-CU(Radiant/Starsider), WoW

Achiever 47% / Explorer 40% / Killer 87% / Socializer 27%

• sumujisumuji Member Posts: 54

It probablly is true because for some strange reason we're unable to post on any of the G&H boards now. Pretty lame to just ignore us.

This is very strange and suprising if it's true. I mean it was almost ready for launch. If it were early or middle deveopment I could maybe understand caneling before getting too involved but this game was almost ready enough for a smooth release. Seems like that would be the absolute worst time to say forget about it and focus on STO.

/boggle

Well, so much for it maybe being bad info;

From PE>

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears...

Loyal and faithful community members and Beta testers, thank you for your support, help, and understanding during the Gods & Heroes: Rome Rising development process.

The development team established some very lofty and ambitious goals when the initial work was started on Gods & Heroes. Recently, we took a step back to evaluate the competitive landscape, the game's current state, and the overall goals for our organization. And while we are truly proud of and pleased with what we have created in Gods & Heroes, we also realize that achieving the level of quality and polish that we are committed to will take a significant investment.

The Perpetual team is faced with a unique challenge of simultaneously developing both Gods & Heroes and Star Trek Online in addition to growing our Online Game Platform business. After assessing all of Perpetual's opportunities, we have made the decision to put the development of Gods & Heroes on indefinite hold.

I want to express my overwhelming gratitude to the community, engineers, designers, artists, animators, and the game services team for the support and effort that has gone into Gods & Heroes.

Moving forward, we're shifting our collective focus, resources and development efforts to Perpetual's Platform Services division and Star Trek Online, thereby ensuring that the game lives up to the high level of expectation set by the dedicated Star Trek fan base.

Again, I would personally like to thank all of the Gods & Heroes supporters who have been with us from the beginning. Hopefully, your continued support will be as valuable to our future endeavors as it was with Gods & Heroes..

Vade in pace,

Chris McKibbin

• spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508

Thats a shame....a shame that Perpetual didnt go belly up along with their first game. Now they have the chance carry on with their next debacle, STO.

• HadreynnHadreynn Member Posts: 112

I won't be holding my breath for STO either. 

• TniceTnice Member Posts: 563

No big surprise.  I was in the beta.  They did the MMO world a favor by canceling it.  Nothing was worst than GnH...and I played Vanguard beta.

• Gods and Heroes had some good fun aspects to it.  And vanguard is a very unappriciated MMO. 

• spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508

I did the G&H beta as well, though only briefly, I couldnt bring myself to log in. Everything from the gameplay to the art direction was bland and uninspired.

I guess I'm not bound by a NDA now.

I wasn't really a fan of the type of game this was shaping up to be. That being a solo fest which is normally the opposite I look for in a massive social game.  Like, nobody wanted to group just to group because minions were too good and grouping areas could be bypassed. It's true that grouping was broken because you couldn't get XP or quest credit while grouped, but nobody ever wanted to group to explore instances. That's why I always treated this game like a single player RPG.

Although things seemed to be coming along very nicely and it sort of grew on me. There were some features, or the lack thereof, that really bothered me but there was a lot about the game that was really good. I've been inolved in betas of games that bombed at launch and I didn't have that feeling with this one. It was just going to heavily appeal to casual gamers and I believe it would have done a pretty good job if it made it to the store shelves.

Why the hell they would cancel the game on the home stretch is beyond me. It still had some issues and missing content but nothing that couldn't have easily being worked on in the following couple of months and had the game ready for launch in January before the major releases.

• SaurodSaurod Member Posts: 7

Well they have  shot there selves in the foot now. ONly a moron would try another one of there games after this...

KILL THEM ALL!!!

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

figures. I spent 2 hours downloading it yesterdayy, but didn't get a chance to play it  yet.

• VepgenusVepgenus Member Posts: 398

If you are interested in a historical MMORPG set in the time of the Roman Empire 180ad visit www.roma-victor.com.

The Devs are working at a feverish pace adding new content every week!

• RansomDentonRansomDenton Member Posts: 111

I know some people did not like it but I loved it. I am not saying I played it...(I doubt the NDA means anything anymore)...but I am really going to miss this game. I was on a team that had the game canned and it sucked, hell I was a lead. I feel for the folks there. Kudos to those that worked on it, you did very well. Why do I feel like we lost something today, something good. I hope maybe it is picked up but I bet its dead.

• OrthedosOrthedos Member Posts: 1,771
    Originally posted by Vepgenus

If you are interested in a historical MMORPG set in the time of the Roman Empire 180ad visit www.roma-victor.com.

The Devs are working at a feverish pace adding new content every week!

Personally, I would not recommend roma-victor yet.  That game has a long way to go, and it does not provide free trials.

That is just my opinion, and I would drew caution to the information on the developer's webpage for roma-victor.  That only tells the story from the seller's side.

Oh yeah, Im on the GnH beta too, and for a while.  I do not know about NDA restrictions so I will be cautious talking here.  I would say, its still a rough gem, way from finished, but its not completely bad.  It has potential to be decent, as a game for casual dabbing.

• BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423

Ya that's really to bad I was having a lot of fun playing the game. For me it was something different in that it wasn't another elf/wood elf type MMO.  I was so looking forward to it's release since I like that particular type of genre and time frame of the mythical land that it was trying to portrait. For their sake they had better hope that they release STO like they claim since now I'm more than skeptical them as a company. One has to wonder if it's another attempt for management to milk their investors out of  funds to finance a game for personal gain that they have no intention to release. 

• PaksPaks Member Posts: 263

I was in the beta and thought the game had a lot of potential.  Sure, it had problems and it appeared the devs just couldn't get some things worked out or maybe their fixes never had a chance to get released to us considering what must had been going on because the same bugs just kept cropping up over and over again.

Still I loved the graphics, the minion concept, deities, and some of the combat animations were very well done.  I just loved how mobs could throw you around, jump on your chest, or some other craziness.  The game overall just had great potential and I hope another company picks it up.  I think Funcom could do great things with this game, or maybe Bioware, or... well someone who can do it justice!

And yeah it absolutely sucked how PE went about doing this, but I think some of us were thinking there were problems anyway, but they could have at least given us a heads up.  Pretty sad... 

• SinuousSinuous Member Posts: 58

Like a lot of folks in this thread, I was in the GnH beta as well.  I can say with some certainty, that they will eventually release the game in some form or another.  It was damn near complete, and games with as many assets as GnH had developed always appear on the market eventually, for better or for worse.

The game had a few serious bugs, one of which rendered certain characters unplayable, and the devs readily admitted they had no idea why it was happening and had no fix to offer.  I played a character to 20 until I got hit with this bug and subsequently decided to sit back and wait for a fix.  My rig is decked out and I was able to play with all the eye-candy maxed out.  Anyone who says the graphics sucked simply doesn't know what they are talking about.  Zones like Venitrix Glades were simply amazing to behold.  There was a ridiculous amount of quests, many of which were very involved and innovative in their delivery.

In summation, the concept for the game was solid, and a first in MMOs.  The minion system had a ton of promise and as far as interesting mythology goes, the chosen setting was the very definition of the word.  With a few tweaks and some attention to bugs I believe they would have had a solid 250K sub base on their hands to start.

I'll let you in on a 'lil secret.  I was also in the Tabula Rasa beta, and this game was miles better in comparison, even in its relatively unpolished state.