Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will we ever see a Planetside 2?

SothornSothorn Member UncommonPosts: 67

I really enjoy the game, and I go back and play from time to time.

BUT.  Is there any gimmer of hope that Sony might snatch up a smokin' graphics engine, and give us a Planetside 2?  (Without the crystalline structures under ground and no stupid BFRs?)

If only Tabula Rasa was FPS like Planetside with some opposing PVP factions...

Comments

• xSSxxSSx Member Posts: 128

Planetside 2 would be a great game if it was ever created. Though I doubt SOE will ever do it.

• OiregOireg Member Posts: 54

Making a PlanetSide 2 should be a given for SoE.    When you factor in when the game was released the game had pretty impressive numbers, a LOT of people have played the game so they have a potential large group of people who would try PlanetSide 2.  There are a shitload of new MMO players out there too (people who couldnt come to terms with paying a monthly fee to play a game before) SoE would be kinda crazy if they didnt persue PS2 even if they had a 3rd party develop it.

They just need to make the game far more dynamic and add player cities or at least outfit bases to add some long term appeal.

• XnK66XnK66 Member Posts: 12

Planetside was the best MMOFPS, if not the only MMOFPS. I had alot of fun playing Planetside, and a Planetside 2 would have been great. But the chances of there beeing any Planetside 2 is very slim unfortunely.

But if you like MMOFPS maybe you should check out Huxley. Its not Planetside, but its probably the closest you will get to Planetside 2.

• adamk22adamk22 Member Posts: 233
    well.. you

Banzai!

• PureChaosPureChaos Member Posts: 839

PLANETSIDE TWO MUST COME OUT, if they took what they got kinda splice it with a little BF 2142 and some other things, we would be set.

• adamk22adamk22 Member Posts: 233

I would love to see a PlanetSide 2 but you'll never know.. prehaps they are working on it right now lol, only they are gonna announce it when it's near completion, we can only hope lol..

I would really like to see city battles in PlanetSide 2 if its ever coming out.. and bigger islands with plains and engineers that can construct trenches. And they really should get rid of the Hitpoint system and instead use weakpoints.. such as the rear of a tank being the weakest point and the front being the strongest and that you are able to disbale tank movement and maneuverment by killing its tracks, that would be awesome!!

Or infantry that if you get shot in the arm you will lose accuracry  (heavy movement when aiming) and the screen will be much darker (as if you're fainting because you're losing blood lol) and to fix this you need to see a medic which can patch you up using bandages and such.. so many ideas lol.. i hope we can see a game like this in the near future..

Banzai!

• XnK66XnK66 Member Posts: 12

Well, if they would have been working on Planetside 2 they probably would have announced that a long time ago. It's not SOE like to keep quiet about their games, especially not a more successfull game like Planetside. But I guess only time will tell...

• jdude190jdude190 Member Posts: 25

how many times does it have to be said that SOE hates gamers. its an almost proven fact! lol

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

There won't be a planetside 2 because Planetside 1 never had more than 50k players.  SOE probably doesn't consider it a viable investment.  Remember:  MMO's have ongoing costs.  At this point I suspect Planetside isn't even paying for itself.  It's on life support due to the station pass is about it.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• DreadlichDreadlich Member UncommonPosts: 597

No.

It would be nice, but...

No.

MMOs Played: EQ 1&2, DAoC, SWG, Planetside, WoW, GW, CoX, DDO, EVE, Vanguard, TR
    Playing: WAR
    Awaiting 40k Online and wishing for Battletech Online

• Keebs1984Keebs1984 Member Posts: 1,356

Planetside subscriptions peaked at about 60,000 in October of 2003.

As of May 2006 there were around 20,000 subscribers. The current numbers are unknown but if the trend is as follows there should be less than 13,000 subscribers today. . . perhaps less.

A Planetside 2 would be awesome, but we have to face the facts. The game never did as well as Sony would have liked and therefor probably won't get any funding for future updates let alone a sequel. Unfortunately, there is just not that much money in the MMOFPS segment as there is in the MMORPG segment. . . as sad as that may sound.

Eternally mine,
    Keebs

The MMO gaming blog I write for.

• skepticalskeptical Member Posts: 357

I played this game at release and never lasted 30 days because of the bugs and graphics problems. It was a great concept but unfortunately never really went anywhere. 

• NullapaxNullapax Member Posts: 401

I had hoped that Tabula Rassa was going to be the next PS but that dream died

PS2 ? - I doubt SOE will bother but Huxley looks promising and I continue to pray for a Warhammer 40K MMOFPS .... I'm a bit of a dreamer aren't I ?

• SnikesSnikes Member UncommonPosts: 76

The concept was cool but the implementation sucked. I remember when it was in alpha stage, devs were talking about RPG elements, cities, housing, economy... During beta, they talked about regular updates with new weapons, new vehicles...

It has been a flop considering these criterions. a handful of really new weapons and vehicles (not talking about cheap variants) and a single (and terrible) expansion.

Anyway I had great moments during the first 6 months. This game could have been sooooo much better.

• Timberwolf0Timberwolf0 Member Posts: 424

I quit Planetside for 3 reasons. 1. because it's graphics were outdated as hell, 2. sony had already decided to let it rot. I just checked and there haven't been any significant updates since I quit over 2 years ago. 

And 3, the biggest one of all: IN GAME ADVERTISING. Seriously this was the last straw. No in game advertising in games. Why the hell else do we pay the monthly fees? To be bombarded with ads? As soon as Sony decided to implement that crap I canceled ASAP.

If sony got behind a planetside 2 without ads I'd probably play it. It's still the best mmofps. BF2142 just doesn't cut it for me.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Originally posted by jdude190

how many times does it have to be said that SOE hates gamers. its an almost proven fact! lol

Totally out of context

• darkstar2kdarkstar2k Member Posts: 21

Originally posted by FreedomBlade

Originally posted by hercules

Originally posted by jdude190

Totally out of context

Dick.

Three cheers for constructive replies.

Oh wait...

Nevermind.

• hydrithhydrith Member Posts: 7

Planetside players can dream of PS2 being released, but it's a sad reality that the game while not see a successor (imho).  Since the development team for Planetside itself is down to about 5 people, and with the addition of new content coming out as of late, my own belief in a sequel is starting to fade.  There just isn't any real interest.

The efforts to keep current subscribers interested, however, do not appear to be going unnoticed.  New vehicle types (a new Sunderer model that's empire-specific, a new Galaxy model (1 pilot, 5 gunners), and a new stealth transport), new weapons (flamethrowers, new empire specific pistols, and a new rocket launcher and sniper rifle available to characters who have existed for more than a year), and new skill options (new engineer options that allow you deploy your turrets, shields, and new Spitfire Auto Turrets) have kept the current player base around a lot longer.

MMOs:

Playing:
    World of Warcraft
    Hellgate: London
    Planetside

Retired:
    Everquest (1 and 2)
    RF-Online
    Lineage 2
    Auto Assault
    Dungeon Runners
    Face of Mankind
    Rangarok Online
    DAoC
    FF XI (gave it away...too much to download}

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

Would be nice to see a Planetside 2 but I think the pop drops will put them off making another one shame really I loved planetside still do.

• SempaiEclipseSempaiEclipse Member Posts: 164

SOE needs to something with Planetside, IMO they just need to kill it off and just start over.

They really missed up this game IMO.. Planetside was great great game till SOE started to add stuff like the BFRs etc..

Thanks Impyriel for the sig^^

• BinkoBinko Member Posts: 267

SOE have bad history and a lot of people will not forget. The hate against them is huge and I think a good example is Vanguard.

• Planetside was great until they changed it.
    • SWG was great until they changed it.
    • Vanguard might have been great but it didn't end up so good.

SOE will never be the same. Best thing for them is to change name and kick some people and then try come back.

Played:
    From Earth & Beyond, Anarchy Online, Matrix Online, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Age of Conan, Tabula Rasa (Beta), EvE Online, City of Villians, Atlantica Online, Guild Wars, Lineage 2, Pirates of the Burning Sea, PlanetSide, RF Online, Second Life, Fallen Earth.

• SempaiEclipseSempaiEclipse Member Posts: 164

Originally posted by Binko

SOE have bad history and a lot of people will not forget. The hate against them is huge and I think a good example is Vanguard.

Planetside was great until they changed it.
    SWG was great until they changed it.
    Vanguard might have been great but it didn't end up so good.

SOE will never be the same. Best thing for them is to change name and kick some people and then try come back.

I would agree, but EQ2 has gotten better and Vanguard has chance it seems like there trying..

But with PS thet was just lazy and ignore the players..

Thanks Impyriel for the sig^^

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

I think less tanks,  air planes, etc would help a new ps, As a foot soilder it just hard to take out one.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• EethereanEetherean Member Posts: 94

Originally posted by XnK66

Planetside was the best MMOFPS, if not the only MMOFPS. I had alot of fun playing Planetside, and a Planetside 2 would have been great. But the chances of there beeing any Planetside 2 is very slim unfortunely.
    But if you like MMOFPS maybe you should check out Huxley. Its not Planetside, but its probably the closest you will get to Planetside 2.

actually WW2online is still out and kicking.

with new updates being developed all the time.

• xMarsxMars Member Posts: 61
    Originally posted by Jetrpg

I think less tanks,  air planes, etc would help a new ps, As a foot soilder it just hard to take out one.

a FOOTSOLDIER SHOULD lose 1on1 againsta  vehicle