Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In your opinion which MMO has the best GAMEPLAY ?

Comments

• DarkerFateDarkerFate Member UncommonPosts: 100

It doesn't have to be that easy, totally depends on what kind of battleship you're fighting, and if it's player controlled or NPC.

One of my most enjoyable moments in my 23 years of gaming history, would be the first time I lost my ship in EvE.  Exhilarating moment, to say the least.  I know it may not be what a lot of people are looking for,  But, if you lose your ship, that ship is gone.  And if you didn't insure it, so is most of the money you spent buying it.  Just talking about the game makes me want to go play it again.

Gamer by nature,
    poet by heart.

• GanjamosGanjamos Member Posts: 80

after playing/trying  almost 75% of the mmorpgs on market....(beta and released) i have to say that i liked the 2years in  lineage2 most . it lasts until you know all and everything and have high end equip....then fun factor turns to 0 .

• TatumTatum Member Posts: 1,153

None.  Cant think of any MMO that Ive played or seen or heard about that actually had good gameplay.  Apparently, gameplay is one of the glaring flaws in MMOs.  Every class boils down to one simple formula, which you rinse and repeat forever.

• KeisersoseKeisersose Member Posts: 34

I gotta go with WoW, although my playstyle is not compatible with the way the game works, of course that aside the gameplay is the best I have played, all I need now is a reason to play. Sadly for a soloist like myself progression is no longer possible & that defeats the purpose of logging in.

I guess when it comes down to it enjoyable gameplay is secondary to my need for an overall purpose in playing, for instance in WoW it was simply about grinding in order to increase my rate of grinding, I was not actually working towards anything & I was not enjoying myself in doing so which caused me to cancel my account.

I'm hoping WAR can recreate the enjoyment I once felt when playing WoW a sense that I can have a good time working towards a goal without having to compromise the way I like to play. Not to say the sheer enjoyment might convince me to do so Because I want to, not because it's the only way to reach a further stage in the game.

Sorry to go off-topic but to me a game could have the most amazing gameplay ever of course without a purpose to playing I would lose interest & likely experience a very limited ammount of enjoyment.

• tailoutailou Member UncommonPosts: 54

Gameplay is the key of a success MMO... despite other things...ok.

but i think any MMORPG fan out there look for a gameplay that actually glue them to the game... having the rush of leveling the character, better armor and weapons... things that make u go to sleep very late at night.

But nowadays the story is different, as for me... because any so-called "good game" out there i try, i found myself playing it and having that rush of leveling about a couple of hours... it´s always the same... u killed 20 monsters for a quest... u run half map to get to the NPC and then u level, when u still excited looking for the new stuff u are hammered pretty hard by another quest that askes you to hunt 30 monsters in a place that makes u run for another couple of minutes... and then u choose "exit game"

ok, enough boring stories... as for me, the better gameplay is yet to be found.. but since then i think WoW, silkroad, Thang, SWG, and a few more i found good gameplay... no, it´s not because of the game itself, it´s because the community in it that were cool, nice people and a nice guild makes almost any game out there look like gold.

--------------Gamer for life.--------------

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

Going on gameplay alone i would say WoW has the best,everything else i've tried just seems too stiff, and wouldn't even think of PvPing on other games i've tried just for that reason. Pretty surprized so many even mentioned WoW on here tho, Most topics asking a question if some one says the word WoW they get flamed..lol

• CylobCylob Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by socomplaya12

I think WoW has the best gameplay because in most mmo's you dont have the option of jumping.
    at first WoW is boring but when u hit lvl 56 and get burning crusade it gets better and the pvp is better then
    any other game I' ve played.

any game that starts at endgame is not a good game imo

the path getting there should be as good as the endgame.

EQ2 did this for me: it's fun to solo / group & once you get to the endgame you'll wanna raid and that's what's EQ2 is pretty good at as well.

• letum6030letum6030 Member Posts: 206

I enjoyed CoH the most.  It starts out fun right from the beginning.  I've never enjoyed creating a character as much as I did in CoH.  I remember making my girlfriend her first character....she hit me.  It was funny to see her reaction to how ugly I made her character (she likes beautiful characters).  The versatility of the character creation was fun.  And then the combat was fun.  It was cool to be able to fly, especially when you first get the ability.  Slow flying and trying to catch the blimp...that was entertaining.

• ZerocydeZerocyde Member UncommonPosts: 412

Originally posted by Flyte27

WoW can at least claim title to this IMO.  Regardless of what you might think about the graphics and linear gameplay the interfaces is top notch.  I've never played a game with a nicer interface and the movement/interaction is extremely smooth.

Aye, WoW is an extremely well polished turd. I guess the best way to describe WoW is; Its the best game in the genre, but if mmo devs were not such dumbasses, it would be the worst.

"It is in your nature to do one thing correctly; Before me, you rightfully tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe." ~Francis Dolarhyde

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818

WOW, by far.  From the moment you started creating a character, then get your intro fly-through of the starting area, then the UI slowly explains what you can do and where you can go, it all just makes sense.  You look at your map and you see theres a lot out there to explore, because you KNOW where you are and where some interesting things might be, because it opens up as you play.  It wasn't just log in "PLOP, go have fun".   The game slowely explains at the right time what you can do and you weren't fighting with it or wondering how the heck to do the most simple tasks.  The number of abilities per class, how different they all play, how fluid the game controls and how interactive the combat can be, it was such a step up from UO, EQ, AC,  AO & DAOC.  You play WOW and you realize just how badly designed those early MMOs were from a technical and artistic standpoint.   WOW"s gameplay and design just felt right for once.  I finally thought, this is how a MMO is supposed to play.  I didn't need weeks to "get used to" it.  It felt right because you didn't have to get used to it and it wasn't because it was simple.  EQ and UO's gameplay was no deeper.  They only felt "deeper" or more complicated because they weren't designed properly in the 1st place.   The felt more difficult because they were buggy and unintuitive.  An intuitive, streamlined game isn't simple or dumbed down.  Its designed properly.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

1. City of Heros/Villians

2. WOW

3. Planetside

But overall WOW is/was the best of those 3.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by sullivanj69

Originally posted by baphamet

going on pure combat gameplay and not considering content, community, or anything els, it is definitely wow IMO. wow is the most polished and fluid gameplay i have yet seen in any mmog.

3 second fights are kinda lame....  Plus combat should have some sorta player skill rather than hitting 3 buttons in a fight and winning (or losing),  Oh and crowd control ruins pvp.

i agree on some of your points but were talking about current games right? there really isn't a game currently that has better combat than wow IMO.

not saying wow's style on combat is the best you can make it by any means, its the best that is available right now.

but i will say that most these games are not action games, its not really about skill....its more about stats and levels.

i would love to play a MMOG that was focused more on combat than levels and gear/stats but unfortunately there really isn't anything out there like that right now, well nothing newer at least.

• ginfress01ginfress01 Member Posts: 203

Without any doubt: Anarchy Online

• PantomimePantomime Member UncommonPosts: 13
    I'll second the Anarchy online comment.
  • KrileonKrileon Member Posts: 314

IMHO and experience the P2P games just arn't worth the money. I've recently turned to F2P games and honestly find them to be the most enjoyable.

Now before you cry "OMFG IT'S JUST A GRIND FEST", lemme say this. Shut yer stinkin pie hole you don't have a clue what you're talking about. Name 1 dang MMO that DOESN'T have some form of freaken grind. Getting exp? Taking more then 1hr for 1level? Getting gear? HAVE do to same instance more then once? Same type of quests over and over? Ya.. they ALL have a freaken grind so stfu please.

Anyway, I think the best game is Rappelz hands down. Don't even need the item shop, but I might buy a few coins. At least this way I can pay at my leasure instead of making a by monthly commitment and wondering weither I got my moneys worth that month or not.

I hope to try Chronicles of Spellborn and Gods and Heroes. I'm going to wait for the free trials though. I don't believe in spending my cash on crap. Why would I? If I wanted crap I'd just poo it out for free.. seriously..

[ Played ] 2Moons, Anarchy Online, City of Heroes, City of Villains, Dark Age of Camelot, Everquest, Everquest II, Guild Wars, HellGate: London, Lord of the Rings Online, Rappelz, RF Online, Shadowbane, Star Wars Galaxies, Sword of the New World, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, World of Warcraft, Last Chaos

[ Playing ] Everquest II

[ Waiting ] Aion, Age of Conan

• LeemegLeemeg Member UncommonPosts: 230

If I look past bugs and balance issues, I would say SWG before they started to mess with it. I haven't found a game that you could mix up skills to build your own "class" like that, the vast variation between weapons and armour (even between different servers), how food and drink worked as shortterm buffs, spices, etc..

With the current avaiable mmos, I would put CoX and EQ2 quite high, many other ones just bore me.

--
    Leemeg.

• Gammit100Gammit100 Member UncommonPosts: 439

Planetside (not an RPG), followed by LOTRO, for me.

MMO games played or tested: EQ, DAoC, Archlord, Auto Assault, CoH, CoV, EQ2, EVE, Guild Wars, Hellgate: London, Linneage II, LOTRO, MxO, Planetside, SWG, Sword of the New World, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, WWIIOL, WOW, Age of Conan

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

If we are talking about combat/movement I would have to say WoW.  FFXI for group combat.

• bverjibverji Member UncommonPosts: 722

For straight combat enjoyment COH.

• xersentxersent Member Posts: 613
    Originally posted by wrongfeifong

I played every MMO on the market, by far the only game that got me the most is FFXI and Koei's Enchanting water (the great age of sail)
    how ever FFXI is best gameplay for me,
    The reason this is so good is, i enjoy the party system alot. Soloing usually too boring once you do it over 1 hour or more, but playing in parties, i could chat with the people i party with and we could do alot thinking into what role each person does and what strategy will we use. Timing attacks for special skillchain is also fun.
    Story wise, without a doubt, FFXI have the best story or rather a linear story-line then any game i ever played. I always liked how Asheron's call have a monthly storyline, but the developer started to lack once the shadow war was over. FFXI provided great story and especially chain of promethia, from all the FF series i played so far, i loved how it turned out.
    The game is especially challenging when doing the BCNM and dynamis and such. The assaults are fun and objective, not all hack and slash but there are many mini-game from these assaults.
    Hence without a doubt FFXI is the best gameplay in my option. Of course, you do have to deal with the fact, its hard to find groups and earn money and the game doesn't begin until level 55+ but its just like every game if you look at it.
    Maybe just me, i prefer game that challenge and FFXI is the most challenging MMORPG i ever played or rather on the market.

I have to agree with wrongfeifong here he hit it right on the nail for me :)

• tombear81tombear81 Member Posts: 810

Best gameplay ? From a critical slant ...

City of X. The missions are dull and repetative and the combat system a bit simplistic for myself. ( though more complex than WoW) but the game play is top notch and back in its heyday the player base was sound and mostly agreeable bunch. The number of alts people have in this game suggests a lot. Sadly I think the recent game expansions have lost there way a bit with emphasis on one off  events and cheap tricks to lure back people temporarily as opposed to new zones and more interesting missions / new enemies.

WoW loses much game play, in my humble opinion because of the general nastiness and grinding of 99%  player base. I never found the game massively fun because of this, too many kiddies and asshats to ruin a gaming session. Also the boring nature of powers in the game (fireball rank I, fireball rank II.. etc) and simple combat system made gameplay ..well... way to simplistic. Good when it started but I quickly realized WoW is (IMHO!)  just too silly.

EQ2 I found deadening because of the silly game world and the emphasis on levelling up and little else. The crafting system before the "dumb down" was also horrendous, underused and not user friendly. The heroic oppotunites were good in combat though underused. (wish COH would think about them rather than silly auction and invention systems).

LOTRO is the most boring game I've ever played for game play. Sorry LOTRO fans. Go kill X of boars, go kill X of this. They took WoW dullest misisons and added them in. I expected more and turbine delivered less. Nice graphic engine though I'd play oblivion if I want to look at trees

Eve online. Good interesting sandbox but somewhat dull and repatative. Odd player base too, ranging from mature to moronic in seconds. Lack of social interaction with avatars (coming ) also makes lonely. Space is very interesting unless you happen to be in a boring bit. Sadly a lot of space is just that... space. Eve could be remade though and we might have a massively popular game. Potential is there right now,  if you go mine for it though, forgive the pun.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Eve for me, the ability to train skills when off line blows all the competition out of the water.

It has a huge learning curve, so you are constantly learning about the game even if you are a vet.

• i have to agree with Tatum. still have hopes for conan though.
  • LilianeLiliane Member Posts: 591

Gameplay, then Ultima Online. I have played WoW and it doesn't come even close to UO. People are putting weight too much for fun, what does incude graphics and sound too, but OP asked gameplay. I also think CoH has nice gameplay too as combat, but other ways little limited.

MMORPG.COM has worst forum editor ever exists

• KanaxaiKanaxai Member UncommonPosts: 120

i am going to get soooo flamed for this...but I am going to have to say, runescape. There are so many things to do...and the pking and staking is really heart thumping when u are good...