Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just rolled on Fairy Server, questions...

dominiadominia Member Posts: 191

Just rolled on Fairy Server last night. the plan is to get to get mnk to unlock subjob, then go warrior to unlock paladin and go from there.

The reason why I picked Fairy was because I used to be there longgg ago though i don't really know anyone. From the allakhazam forums Fairy still seems like a great community but the low levels seem particularly dry atm. there is barely any low level items up in Batstok or Windy for melee and I fear i might have to badger a higher level to buy some gear from Jueno and have me pay them back.

As I ussually like to play as independent as possible (no PLing, no gil or gold assistance -- I actually quit long ago because I was too proud to ask for assistance from my ls in getting to the Jungles at lvl 30) I would really like to avoid it.

So my question for this community (since it's pretty diverse and fairly active), should I roll on a larger server like CaitSith or some other large pop active server (Shiva, Kujata, Ragnorok...) or is this just a problem that I will have to deal with where ever i go?

If you have a preferred server you think I might like, please recommend =) Your comments, good or bad, will go a long way in helping me and many others like myself who are coming back to the game or starting for the first time decide.

Currently Playing: GW2
Retired: Shadowbane, DAoC, WoW, FFXI, Eve Online, SWToR

The Aphelion MMO Blog - GW2 Initial Impressions

Comments

• CannedweaselCannedweasel Member Posts: 36

Hi there, I'm a long-time FFXI player and I'll see if I can't help out a little.

First of all, I'd recommend not taking sites like Allak or KI as being indicative of a server as a whole; they tend to be populated by the same people posting over and over, creating to some degree a false impression of larger community input.

I think that to some degree you'll encounter that problem wherever you go; it's a matter of the game having been out long enough that there's an established end-game community, which is a shame because I can recall a few years ago when you'd have a fairly well-mingled lower-level and high-level community. My own starting linkshell contained people of all levels, including my LS leader having to go off-shell to fight HNMs, then coming back and shooting the breeze with us level 20s.

I would recommend a larger server, and for my money I'd pick one with a good blend of English and Japanese players, because if you should ever want to group late at night or early morning, it helps to be able to grab a nice JP party, as well as the benefits the economy gets from having additional high level crafters. I don't know what you'd consider for high population, but my own server of Bismarck is pretty nice. The average number of players online is generally between 1800-2400, and you get a nice cross-section of different nationalities and levels, ensuring you get a nice blend of things going on at any give time. If you're interested in starting there, drop me a PM and if you'd like a smaller LS to start with, I can hook you up with one me and my long-term FFXI buddies use.

• dominiadominia Member Posts: 191

Thanks really appreciate the input, I might take you up on that offer as it was thoughtful and insightful. Your right though about Alla and Kl not being very indicative but as a new player with little historical reference of the individual servers, all one can do is find a cross section of the population and hope for the best.

I partied with many EU and Asian players back when i as leveling my whm back in January, so I completely understand what you mean =).

• CannedweaselCannedweasel Member Posts: 36

My pleasure, glad I could help.

If you decide Bismarck might be something you want to try out, my in-game name is Aburame, so feel free to drop me a line here or in-game(and I'm a 75 MNK and PLD, so I kind of know what you're going for).

• dominiadominia Member Posts: 191

Rolling now on your server, will be named Dominia, female Elvaan. hough I male in rl, if I'm going to stare at the back of some character for 200+ hours I'd rather it be good to look at =)

Same idea, mnk -> war -> pld =D

• RinicRinic Member Posts: 715

Come roll on Unicorn!

We're not mentally stable, at all. None of us.