Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IP's that NEED to become MMORPGS

Comments

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Almost surten elder scroll will be made into a mmorpg.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by chryses

Agree with Raymond E Feist.  Lots of opposing factions.  Another one that I forgot was the series by George. R.R.Martin (A song of Ice and Fire)  That series has distinct sides and a very large body count even in the books.  Lots of options.

OMG never!  Some mmo company would ruin it!  It's bad enough there's going to be an HBO series. 

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

An inherent problem with adapting IPs from novels, movies, television is that these are all by necessity character driven storylines, and you can't replicate that experience for something massively multiplayer, because not everyone can be Paul Atriedes, or Dracula, or Reed Richards and have the experience make sense.  I mean, it's bad enough in WoW where you are the sole hero of some group of NPCs with every third quest, just like the gnome standing next to you.  I suppose you can cite "suspension of disbelief" to get around this, but it still bothers me that you're told you're having a profound effect upon the world but it's obvious that you are not.

Setting something in "the universe" can work...I thought SWG did a good job of that, but then the NGE came along and forced me into being Luke Skywalker, or, even more hilarious, Princess Leia in two different "professions" and then you've got Jango Fett clones as the icons of two others.  Oh and one of the icons is a droid.  That's exciting...

There's also the issue of whether or not the game "lives up" to the IP as the gaming public sees it.  We have seen attempts at this in games, not necessarily MMOs, where the game has fallen far short of expectations.  A lot of Star Wars and Star Trek games, for example, are close to unplayable messes that sold because of the IP, not the content of the game.

I think that the IP needs to have a rich backstory and universe its set in, one where many stories can be told, not necessarily the protagonist's stories.  Where exploring that fictional uinverse and finding your way in it can be an everyman experience. Dune is storywise centered around an elite that are atop a highly stratified social structure, which makes it more difficult to allow the extras to have a life of their own that can be used as an example of the player's experience in the game.  Starship Troopers is set in a military hierarchy which is very hard to allow for independent action which is what players will be doing.

And of course there is always the issue of falling back on the usual cliches of a genre, like fantasy, whre there will be elves, dwarves, orcs, goblins, trolls, etc. which tend to get kind of stale after a while.

The IP having the right setting to allow for exciting, appealing MMO play is the trick, and having a dev team that understands this is a second trick.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• LackeyZeroLackeyZero Member Posts: 640

Outlaw Star

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

I'm guessing from context that IP is Intellectual Property?

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• AselliaAsellia Member UncommonPosts: 174

Honestly, my pick would have to be Naruto. It would be great if it was done correctly.

For example, with each village, have a (Player.Needed) thing that says, if Players.Needed are not met then NPCs will take the place of the rest of them. That way some villages are stronger then others, as in the world of Naruto. Obviously some things like Jinchurikii, and the Curse Seal would have to be left out, as it would be unfair for most. Though with it, it would be terribly interesting for PvP. Like how Akatsuki can overwhelm Jinchurikii without one themselves.  Then you could have Seperate factions of good and evil. Have a fast paced battle system, easy to control yet still fast paced.  I could see it being a great MMO if done correctly.

Have jutsu creation too, using Elemental Recompasition to form an Element, in which you can choose where it comes from,  the area of it and stuff. Then with a lot of training, allow Spatial Recompasition for making things like Shuriken Resengan, and Chidori Hyekkita.

I think it would be an amazingly fun MMORPG to be honest.

• ZikielZikiel Member Posts: 1,138

I'm almost sure there's a Naruto mmo around somewhere, at the moment there's some MUD-like stuff, and I wouldn't doubt that a series like that would get an mmo.

As for Outlaw Star.. Maybe. My main issue with that series was that there was absolutely no back story to almost all of the characters. I finished the boxed set and still didn't have a damn clue about some of the people in it. Oh, and for being 'the bestest best group evah' the Anten Seven kinda sucked a lot. Your seductress didn't seduce, your master of disguise's disguises consisted of a noh mask and a Hawaiian(sp?) shirt, and the old magical guy died after one hit..

• AselliaAsellia Member UncommonPosts: 174

Actually, I was working on a Naruto MMO at one point with some friends. More of an ORPG though, max players was like 300 only. Small server, but we used a Jutsu Creation, and a lot more too. Got Mid-Beta then decided to give up as it was too much work to add all the features we wanted.

• DaJonesDaJones Member Posts: 9

Beverly Hills Cop 2

• EmmericEmmeric Member Posts: 54

Id love to see some forn of Dark Sun-Forgotten realm stuff i still have all my old floppy disk of that stuff .

Anyone remember Might&Magic series if u loaded the clouds of Xeen and part 5 cant remember the name it created the World of xeen and your could port between the 2 for more fun and exitement of leveling up 

Fall-out could be a great one if they  do it right.  

• muaddib101muaddib101 Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by Remali

Originally posted by Zvulakr

Originally posted by Remali

Good news :The IP i want is being made into a mmorpg ( WoD)
    Bad news: Im gonna have to wait till 2012 at least 
    sorry the world ends at 2012.

Oh crap somebody call CCP/whitewolf ASAP then. They are wasting their money on a mmo that will not launch before the second coming instead of beer and hookers.

According to the Mayan calander, we have until Dec. 21 of 2012, so we will have about a year to play it. Of course, it's WoD, so maybe we'll get lucky and the game will get delayed or the Mayan's will be a little bit off.

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Originally posted by Meltdown

Originally posted by bleyzwun

Naruto... say what you want.  It's perfect for a PvP MMO and has a lot of lore. 

or Full Metal Alchemist imo

If we're talking anime, I think Bleach would be interesting for an MMO. The only problem would be that each soul reaper sword would have to be unique somehow. But between Hollows, Soul Reapers, Quincy, and the other factions in the world, it might be possible.

• Sovren1Sovren1 Member Posts: 312

Originally posted by SioBabble
    An inherent problem with adapting IPs from novels, movies, television is that these are all by necessity character driven storylines, and you can't replicate that experience for something massively multiplayer, because not everyone can be Paul Atriedes, or Dracula, or Reed Richards and have the experience make sense. I mean, it's bad enough in WoW where you are the sole hero of some group of NPCs with every third quest, just like the gnome standing next to you. I suppose you can cite "suspension of disbelief" to get around this, but it still bothers me that you're told you're having a profound effect upon the world but it's obvious that you are not.
    Setting something in "the universe" can work...I thought SWG did a good job of that, but then the NGE came along and forced me into being Luke Skywalker, or, even more hilarious, Princess Leia in two different "professions" and then you've got Jango Fett clones as the icons of two others. Oh and one of the icons is a droid. That's exciting...
    There's also the issue of whether or not the game "lives up" to the IP as the gaming public sees it. We have seen attempts at this in games, not necessarily MMOs, where the game has fallen far short of expectations. A lot of Star Wars and Star Trek games, for example, are close to unplayable messes that sold because of the IP, not the content of the game.
    I think that the IP needs to have a rich backstory and universe its set in, one where many stories can be told, not necessarily the protagonist's stories. Where exploring that fictional uinverse and finding your way in it can be an everyman experience. Dune is storywise centered around an elite that are atop a highly stratified social structure, which makes it more difficult to allow the extras to have a life of their own that can be used as an example of the player's experience in the game. Starship Troopers is set in a military hierarchy which is very hard to allow for independent action which is what players will be doing.
    And of course there is always the issue of falling back on the usual cliches of a genre, like fantasy, whre there will be elves, dwarves, orcs, goblins, trolls, etc. which tend to get kind of stale after a while.
    The IP having the right setting to allow for exciting, appealing MMO play is the trick, and having a dev team that understands this is a second trick.

Dude, we already know this. That isn't the question at hand...it is more to the effects of what IP would you want to be an MMO?

Um, don't most MMO's have you playing the hero, or a hero of some sort, or a villain, or a villain of some sort. Until we get holodecks and can support individual plot and storylines per character...no company, no server can support much further beyond than what we are doing now. That is why you and the guy next to you are the "sole hero of some group of NPC's every third quest". If you want a game where everything you do has an effect on the world, well...it can't be done, yet. Not with a story line, or story progression. A full pvp game maybe, where sacking a village stays that way till someone rebuilds it. You kill a boss and it stays dead forever. Good luck questing in that type of game.

And I say again.....as many games that you can find that are based on "POPULAR" IP's and have failed and are messes (there goes that eye of the beholder thing again), I can find just as many that were very good. Even now....LotRo is doing very well in comparison to all other MMO's ever created. It's got alright numbers in comparison to the top few.

I still say that in other genres there have been plenty of good games based on IP's....Kotor and Golden Eye are atleast in my top 50 greatest games ever made list. My opinion of course.

By the way....Original games fail just as often too.

And Dune would surely be in the universe, I'm quite sure everyone would realize that they weren't going to be Paul.

I mean shit....isn't AoC one of the most anticipated MMO's now. It's based on Conan, an IP.
    So we could do Dune....age of paul, or whomever. Just because many ip based games have failed doesn't mean the next batch will fail.

With AoC, you've got an everyman scenario.

Conan was just your average overly muscled dude from the snowy wastes of Cimmeria, trying to make his way in the Hyborian Age.

Thus it's a prime IP to turn into an MMO.

Star Wars can be made everyman as well, as Luke Skywalker was just a farmboy who happened to have the right genes, and Han Solo was just another smuggler who happened to give Luke a ride.

Throughout the original Matrix, Neo is just some shlub who works in a cubicle, which was lost at the end of the movie and made the sequels less interesting.

Firefly is the epitomy of the everyman scenario.  Thus I think it would make a great MMO properly executied...the IP definitely has possiblities.

Star Trek can work as well.  You don't have to be James T Kirk or Jean-Luc Picard, you can be redshirt #3 and still have fun. 

Paul Atriedes was not everyman by any stretch of the imagination.  Thus capturing much of the flavor of the universe becomes more difficult to pull off...because of the nature of universe depicted in the IP, highly stratified, and the central story being about someone who is inherently not an everyman from the getgo.

On Topic: How about Larry Niven's Known Space universe as a setting for an MMO?  Kzin for the win!

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

Tron.

Any white wolf game

Snow Crash

James Bond

• Sovren1Sovren1 Member Posts: 312

Paul Atriedes was not everyman by any stretch of the imagination. Thus capturing much of the flavor of the universe becomes more difficult to pull off...because of the nature of universe depicted in the IP, highly stratified, and the central story being about someone who is inherently not an everyman from the getgo.
    On Topic: How about Larry Niven's Known Space universe as a setting for an MMO? Kzin for the win!

Depends what time period used. Paul was just very adept till later in his life. Same goes for Luke. Did you forget that Luke was Jedi? They weren't the average guy either. How many elite beings were left when Vader killed the emperor or even right before? Not many. I count 6, Vader, Emperor, Luke, Leia, Obi-wan and Yoda. let's not forget that Paul could be killed also. Infact he almost died many times by the hands of regular men.

Depending on the story-line which would undoubtedly have to be created anew...it could go something like a race of Kwisatz Haderachs were being created, not the one mentality, but the many. Or continue the story of the universe without them, the war continues between the house's which would be factional play...make the focus there. The Matrix did it(albiet not a good game imo, but the continued story is quite plentiful).

And speaking about Conan universe like it's easy to use because he is like "everyman" or regular man...UM AoC will contain mages and preist and superhuman abilities that no one I know uses in real life.....IT"S ALL MAKE BELIEVE.

Originally posted by Sovren1

Paul Atriedes was not everyman by any stretch of the imagination. Thus capturing much of the flavor of the universe becomes more difficult to pull off...because of the nature of universe depicted in the IP, highly stratified, and the central story being about someone who is inherently not an everyman from the getgo.

On Topic: How about Larry Niven's Known Space universe as a setting for an MMO? Kzin for the win!

Depends what time period used. Paul was just very adept till later in his life. Same goes for Luke. Did you forget that Luke was Jedi? They weren't the average guy either. How many elite beings were left when Vader killed the emperor or even right before? Not many. I count 6, Vader, Emperor, Luke, Leia, Obi-wan and Yoda. let's not forget that Paul could be killed also. Infact he almost died many times by the hands of regular men.

Depending on the story-line which would undoubtedly have to be created anew...it could go something like a race of Kwisatz Haderachs were being created, not the one mentality, but the many. Or continue the story of the universe without them, the war continues between the house's which would be factional play...make the focus there. The Matrix did it(albiet not a good game imo, but the continued story is quite plentiful).

And speaking about Conan universe like it's easy to use because he is like "everyman" or regular man...UM AoC will contain mages and preist and superhuman abilities that no one I know uses in real life.....IT"S ALL MAKE BELIEVE.

Yeah, but Paul Atriedes started out the in Dune as a member of the elite.  Luke Skywalker was a farmboy who became a Jedi, he didn't start out as one.  That's the difference in the IPs.  Conan eventually became a king..practially an Emperor of one of the major powers of Hyboria.  He leveled up!  Paul Atriedes started out at level 50 or so...and went up from there.  The heir to a Great House.  Not everyone in an MMO can be the son of a duke, and the society of Dune is very highly stratified...with everyone having a place, knowing it, and staying in it.  Not conducive to player advancement at first blush.  Which will make a Dune MMO a bit more difficult to pull off.

Ideally, the IP should allow the players to fill in the backround of the IP story...to be extras, but still be able to have a story of their own.  Lucas gave names and backstories to many of the extras in his films, things that never made it onto the screen, but exist as lore. 

You're right though about Luke and Jedi in particular in a game...playable Jedi was always a problem with SWG because in the chosen setting Jedi were not everyman at all.  But they were inserted into the game anyway due to marketing concerns.  SOE/LA wanted to appeal to the 2nd gen fans who were brought in by the prequels where Jedi were "everyman" due to Jedi being extras...there were no Jedi extras in the original trilogy.

You'll note that in LotRO there are no casters, because there were only two wizards portrayed in the trilogy, although it was implied that there were more (Gandalf speaking of Saurman being the head of his Order).  Conan's universe is different, with caster types showing up all over the place, confronting Conan regularly.  They're everyman sorcerers.  Like in WoW, or EQ, or most other fantasy games.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

Palladium: Rifts

Fallout

Planescape

Most of all...CCP needs to hurry up with World of Darkness!!!

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • kidRiotkidRiot Member Posts: 209

An awesome Star Wars MMO.  SWG can burn.

And an awesome Matrix MMO.  Matrix Online can burn too.

Not made by SOE.  SOE can burn also.

• Clavain06Clavain06 Member Posts: 25

I'll just say again in regards to the 2012 thing... Cry Gaia: The Secret World from Funcom.  Directly related to this.

Dune would be really cool actually... I would love to see that.  It would have to have a very deep political systems ala Vanguard's Diplomacy System in order to make that work well though since that universe is so heavily steeped in it.

Shannara... Allanon is my Hero.  Walker Boh is fantastic too... however... I just dont see it.  It would wind up another LOTRO type of game and they are already making a movie of Elfstones which is probably going to be as horrifically bad as Eragon which should never have been made... but then again... they are making a movie of Joust... O.o soooooo hey there ya go... a Joust MMO 

• Darksider25Darksider25 Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by ImixZinz

Originally posted by The_Archon

Originally posted by Sothorn

Originally posted by muaddib101

Rifts

RIFTS!

I would want to be a Juicer

See what I mean.

There are ways to deal with a juicer...specially since life expentacy is so short...

Psi-Knights on the other hand...or even better, I want to lead a Dogboy guild!

But yes, that world is huge and can cover just about every possible expansion.  Bring on the vampires and the splugorth!  (I heard they were making a movie...but nothing has come of it)

The big disparity between MDC and SDC was a critical point for PnP gamers... even I will agree it sucked.  The vasy majority of players won't want to sling SDC weapons in a world where the premire class is a Glitter Boy.  Maybe there's room for entirely-SDC campaigns, like umm, the tutorial... but it has no place in the bigger game (IMO).

Factions would be a must.  No non-coalition dogpacks, borgs would have to be either high-end choices after you level up or else crippled from level 1 (diverging from the lore).  No coalition magic users.  And so on.

I would say just ditch the SDC system completely and reform it for playability.

I'd actually contacted Palladium a few years back asking about selling their IP, and naturally they said "sure, for the right price and to the right person".  I don't have a few spare mil on me at the moment or else I'd consider it.  However, any big studio would do really well to buy it, IMO.

Long live Archie!

As naive as i am about Rifts, suggesting it was only on a whim from remembering it in the late 90's.

Come to find out, theres a massive internet movment DEMANDING a Rifts MMORPG i didn't even know about! It's inevitable at this point that someone will pick up the IP, we can only hope it falls into the right hands. If they said "and to the right person" thats atleast a glimmer of hope that they know the type of company they want to represent their game.

Its no surprise to me, Rifts if executed correctly would easily be the deepest MMO ever. The possibilities are endless.  I would hope that Kevin Siembieda would be involved in the design of the game.  Long live Palladium Games! 

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Originally posted by Darksider25

Originally posted by The_Archon

Originally posted by Sothorn

Originally posted by muaddib101

Rifts

RIFTS!

I would want to be a Juicer

See what I mean.

There are ways to deal with a juicer...specially since life expentacy is so short...

Psi-Knights on the other hand...or even better, I want to lead a Dogboy guild!

But yes, that world is huge and can cover just about every possible expansion.  Bring on the vampires and the splugorth!  (I heard they were making a movie...but nothing has come of it)

The big disparity between MDC and SDC was a critical point for PnP gamers... even I will agree it sucked.  The vasy majority of players won't want to sling SDC weapons in a world where the premire class is a Glitter Boy.  Maybe there's room for entirely-SDC campaigns, like umm, the tutorial... but it has no place in the bigger game (IMO).

Factions would be a must.  No non-coalition dogpacks, borgs would have to be either high-end choices after you level up or else crippled from level 1 (diverging from the lore).  No coalition magic users.  And so on.

I would say just ditch the SDC system completely and reform it for playability.

I'd actually contacted Palladium a few years back asking about selling their IP, and naturally they said "sure, for the right price and to the right person".  I don't have a few spare mil on me at the moment or else I'd consider it.  However, any big studio would do really well to buy it, IMO.

Long live Archie!

As naive as i am about Rifts, suggesting it was only on a whim from remembering it in the late 90's.

Come to find out, theres a massive internet movment DEMANDING a Rifts MMORPG i didn't even know about! It's inevitable at this point that someone will pick up the IP, we can only hope it falls into the right hands. If they said "and to the right person" thats atleast a glimmer of hope that they know the type of company they want to represent their game.

Its no surprise to me, Rifts if executed correctly would easily be the deepest MMO ever. The possibilities are endless.  I would hope that Kevin Siembieda would be involved in the design of the game.  Long live Palladium Games! 

you guys do know that SDC and MDC were suposed to be two classes of campians, if your GM kept mixing MDC in your SDC campain, then he sucked (with out any use story wise, or with out a way to counter it).

Also, RIFTS is huge, but not all of the books were to be used together. Its all about the GM and what he chooses to use, and create.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• ThrageThrage Member Posts: 200

I'm of the opinion that a Pokemon MMO, done right, would make a crapton of money.

• billp89014billp89014 Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by Kanubis

Originally posted by Darksider25

Hands down the best IP to use in an MMO would be Rifts  from Palladium Games. You have everything a gamer would ever want. Magic/Mecha/Cyberpunk/Space/Trans Dimensional travel/Demons/Angels/Superheroes...  Its wide open to go buck wild in...  Its really a no brainer....

I hadn't thought of that but you're totally right, Rifts would be awesome.

FireFly could just work if it's set after the end of the movie, so that it isn't constrained by lore too much.

Hell Yeah! I played the Rifts for years.  I would drop everything for this game 

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

Originally posted by GreenChaos

Tron.
    Any white wolf game
    Snow Crash
    James Bond

I would like to add:

Mortal combat.

Jade Empire

Something in a steam punk universe.

The Incredibles

Wheel of Time