Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is a joystick required?

raykorraykor Member UncommonPosts: 326

I'm sure there is probably some way to control flight with the keyboard and mouse, but does a joystick work better?

Thanks.

Comments

• icezizimicezizim Member Posts: 36

no its not required,but without a joystick the controls are very awkward.

• Swiftblade13Swiftblade13 Member Posts: 638

Joystick HIGHLY recommended.  

Grymm
    MMO addict in recovery!
    EQ,SWG preCU,L2,EQ2,GW,CoH/CoV,V:SOH,
    Aion,AoC,TR,WAR,EVE,BP,RIFT,WoW and others... no more!

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Any joystick in particular?

some links to some good joysticks plz

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• Swiftblade13Swiftblade13 Member Posts: 638

The most highly recommended joystick for old school Jumpgate is the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2.  Its no longer made but you can get one cheap on ebay. 

This is all about old Jumpgate, Evolution is going to be a long wait yet (around a year is most peoples guesses).  I'm totally new to jumpgate but I've been doing a lot of reading on their forums lately. 

If you are planning to give it a try let me know, I think I'm going to start my free trial today or tomorrow.  The flight is based on real space flight... so it takes some practice!!!  If you thrust in one direction, then turn around you are still going like hell in the direction you thrusted in.. not like an airplane!  Aside from that major difference it seems to play like the old Wing Commander games.    The graphics suck but hopefully the gameplay will make up for it.  I played the offline simulator demo to practice flight a little... you need to learn to dock first thing =).

If you are gonna try it out let me know, you can log onto my ventrilo and maybe we can go at it together a couple nights a week.

Grymm
    MMO addict in recovery!
    EQ,SWG preCU,L2,EQ2,GW,CoH/CoV,V:SOH,
    Aion,AoC,TR,WAR,EVE,BP,RIFT,WoW and others... no more!

• CrooklynCrooklyn Member Posts: 7

I think using a mouse gives you greater accuracy then using a joystick.  Some of the greatest pilots never even used a joystick, but I guess its personal preference.

-Crooklyn

• AristidesAristides Member Posts: 172

LOL, almost three years ago people were posting about Jumpgate Evolution being "a year away".

Jumpgate Classic can be played today, right now, though it's a very old game and looks it.