Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark and Lights political system will be a major focus in game if you so choose. What other games ha

blacksacblacksac Member Posts: 1,045

Dark and Lights political system will be a major focus in game if you so choose.

It will incorporate the capture of a fortress, then a group of fortresses (13) to control a Barony, and 9 Baronies per County, and so on, and so on... (see list below)

Universe:

- 2 basic Kingdoms - Dark and Light - non PVP (for newbie).
- 10 Kingdoms to conquer PvP (in regards to war honor code).
- 5 Duchies per Kingdom.
- 7 Counties per Duchy.
- 9 Baronies per County.
- 13 Fortresses per Barony.

In summary 4095 Fortresses to conquer per Kingdom (Note: GM's will control the number of active fortresses depending on population numbers)

- 213 main cities.
- a huge amount of village (developers don't even know the number).
- Time of the world: 84 minutes = 24 DnL hours, a DnL day.
- 365 days per year with 4 seasons.
- 1 sun, 2 moons.

A Baron is elected after all fortresses are captured by a vote of all people involved in their capture. A vote can also release a Baron of his/her duties.

Barons collect tax through a MOB tax. A portion of any loot will go to the local Baron. The Baron can set the tax level, and influence the development of his/her stronghold such as better walls, buildings, defenses and the like. If taxes are too high people can just leave the area, starving the Baron out. The Baron can hire NPC and player mercenaries, build siege machines, and arm his/her co-defending/attacking fellow players. In short, armies can be raised!

Players that log out for the day, can assign their character to their pledged Lord as an NPC soldier. As an NPC soldier your character will protect your stronghold and follow orders from your Lord. Any experience gained in this state will be kept, any death will still have its penalty. Therefore the Baron will have a pool of defenders even in off peak times. Player NPC merchants will also be allowable.

All Lords will have kingdom tools to control their territories and armies, this will greatly strengthen their influence.

The most strategic structure to control will be the Mana fountains.

They have strategic locations in game which are necessary to feed Dark or Light magic. This magic will radiate around the fountains and under this influence players are more likely to recover their own Mana level as long as it is aligned to the players own faction.

Why is it necessary to protect the Mana fountains? Well it will be important to control as many as you can near any territory you wish to conquer, actually it will be a priority before going in to conquer a territory... this adds a very strong strategic element to the game.

Only Lords of different alignments (Dark or Light) can wage war on each other, except in the case where both parties of the same alignment agree before hand to a direct conflict (not sure on this last point).

If this is too much, head for the wilderness and explore, be it in small groups or alone, the world is big enough to avoid any war.

In short how will this effect gameplay? What other games have a complex political system, and how did it effect gameplay in those games?

E3 Movie Trailer: http://www.sofdnl.com/E3-CD/media_contents/video/trailer.WMV  

Comments

• RJCoxRJCox Member Posts: 2,686

And the award for the longest Topic Title goes to...

sheesh ;)

Richard J. Cox
    "There were much of the beautiful, much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible, and not a little of that which might have excited disgust."

• blacksacblacksac Member Posts: 1,045

*bows* thankyou image I just want to thank my mum for... lol... never mind

Anyway I just wanted to say so much, I just couldnt shorten it image

Regards,

blacksac image

• RaiblastRaiblast Member Posts: 49
    you know, i wish they would just hurry up and accept new beta testers so i could get in and play this. i've been wanting to play for months.

it's...scary. very, very, very, scary...the world we live in...that's why i love the virtual world.

By the way there will be two forms of xp, SXP (social experience) used in developing non-fighting skills like kingdom management, map making and such, and FXP (fighting experience), used in developing combat skills. Most Lords will tend to concentrate on SXP over FXP.

• scarveinscarvein Member Posts: 194

If you are looking for strong political and economic system, Face of Mankind will be revolutionary. Many faction, each with its own motives.. mission based system.. the world will be created by actions of every individual.. i am not kiddin - i am betatesting it for some time and it will be really great ::::02::

Scarvein,

FoM looks very intriguing. If the political side was the biggest factor for me, and the futuristic FPS style combat, I would serious consider this one.

I still love the fantasy settings, and DnL's wide-open wilderness gives me a spring in my step and a gleam in my eye (or is that just the dust in my eye from the road? image). I'm an explorer at heart. But thankyou for pointing this one out, It looks like a breath of fresh air for this genera !

I'll look this one up once in awhile to see how its developing  image

• JanstheManJanstheMan Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by scarvein

If you are looking for strong political and economic system, Face of Mankind will be revolutionary. Many faction, each with its own motives.. mission based system.. the world will be created by actions of every individual.. i am not kiddin - i am betatesting it for some time and it will be really great ::::02::

Ya, I can't wait for this one. If my computer can run it (makes a shrine of hope), it will be mine.

It is a very political game. The coolest part is that each faction is actually run by a real person.

• scarveinscarvein Member Posts: 194

Yo, that is very amazing to see how people in high ranked posts behave.. and how many human factors like jelausy and treachery come into the game ::::40::

• RegusRegus Member Posts: 489
    FoM and DnL are the two games that i am looking forward too, totally different style but also politics are important and i like that especially if it is player driven, that makes it more and more real because emtions gets involved, i am not in betatests of both but i did apply for both of them, can't wait till they go gold. DnL has the upper hand at the moment since i can only play one game at a time (mon,ey issues image)

One day all will die, surely you but never I.

"One day all will die, surely you but never I." Wheel of Time

• Kriminal99Kriminal99 Member Posts: 377

What kind of combat system does DNL have?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------PROBABILITY(YOUR STATEMENTS BEING MOTIVATED BY FEAR(I>U)) > .5

As far as I know Range combat will have FPS elements to it, and Melee combat will be basically traditional MMORPG style combat with a twist.

As far as what is used in combat, all the usual melee, ranged and magical/necro units, as well as mounted ground combat (anything you can capture and tame), and mounted aerial combat units (Dragon mounts). Siege machines will also be available to use as well as Castle defenses.

Ship combat is also planned.

Anyway that's a start.