Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Haters

VamptonVampton Member Posts: 46

All of you people that are sippin on the vaporware haterade will be the first ones frantically clicking on the log in button when beta starts and the servers crash for the first time(It will happen).  Then you'll be on here crying because you can't play the game.  Get some real mmorpg experience before you start dogging on games that you HAVEN'T even played yet.  Just because the game that you were waiting for failed, don't take it out on Darkfall crybabies.

*hands you a tissue* - You'll need it.

Comments

• QuestionableQuestionable Member Posts: 653

Its how people are. I think they just want to make sure they get a beta spot.

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

Let me know how this turns out for you...

Guild beta apps requested in 2005... still no beta... you would think they would open beta apps a few months before beta was about to start... they even said in 2005 beta was "just around the corner"

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Originally posted by atziluth

Guild beta apps requested in 2005... still no beta... you would think they would open beta apps a few months before beta was about to start... they even said in 2005 beta was "just around the corner"

Dont act like you havent made a mistake.

• nine56nine56 Member UncommonPosts: 208

Read the latest warcry journal. 25 mil taken out for the game recently. beta is soon.

Originally posted by nine56

Read the latest warcry journal. 25 mil taken out for the game recently. beta is soon.

Most of those who say that DF is vaporware dont actually look any info about it up.

• naldricnaldric Member UncommonPosts: 909

I wonder how you guys can have such "unquestionable" faith in a game that share so much characteristics with infamous games...

You mean infamous as in unpopular? Not the same word, but either way, please explain yourself. And PS, UO was not "infamous", which the game probably takes after most.

• VamptonVampton Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by naldric

I wonder how you guys can have such "unquestionable" faith in a game that share so much characteristics with infamous games...

It has nothing to do with faith.  It's about hope.

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

Originally posted by Questionable

Most of those who say that DF is vaporware dont actually look any info about it up.

Never said it was vaporware... I think they will release it... I also think it will be dated and poorly made.

That 25 million could mean anything... It could mean they are WAY over budget and required another loan to continue the development of the game. Last time I checked taking out a loan did not equal completion of the game. It just means the company needs more money and does not have the capital on their own.

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• naldricnaldric Member UncommonPosts: 909

You mean infamous as in unpopular? Not the same word, but either way, please explain yourself. And PS, UO was not "infamous", which the game probably takes after most.
    no no, i mean infamous as in infamous, like Dark and Light, Age of Mourning and some part of Vanguard in the middle... long list of amazing features, lot's of "potential", huge development time, lack of information, in game videos that dont show anything it doesnt feel like someone is actually playing, shady little company with no credentials, no communication between the devs and the fanbase and postproning the beta year after year....

All those games looked good on paper, fans dreamed about them, and when it finally released... between vaporware, horrible games, buggy starts... they flopped miserably. Dreams turn into frustration when proved impossible, and strong solid games are in the wake, so why wait stressfully for an utopia that if released will probably let down the die hard fans who already imagined too much about it.

I dont think there is true haters, there is just people like me who already felt the BURN from other games, and we just dont want you guys to rise your hopes to high, because the fall will only be bigger and we know how it felt.

• ndpunchndpunch Member Posts: 208

VG, DnL and Age of Mourning.. none of those games looked great.

Also videos released are short but they do show a lot of promised features about the game, mainly PvP in different forms (mounted, naval combat ect.), but that is what the game is supposed to be about.

Never said it was vaporware... I think they will release it... I also think it will be dated and poorly made.

That 25 million could mean anything... It could mean they are WAY over budget and required another loan to continue the development of the game. Last time I checked taking out a loan did not equal completion of the game. It just means the company needs more money and does not have the capital on their own.

Well its a good thing i didnt specificaly say you.

It helps prove that the game EXISTS. No company would be so foolish as to take out a huge loan when they had no product to sell.

no no, i mean infamous as in infamous, like Dark and Light, Age of Mourning and some part of Vanguard in the middle... long list of amazing features, lot's of "potential", huge development time, lack of information, in game videos that dont show anything it doesnt feel like someone is actually playing, shady little company with no credentials, no communication between the devs and the fanbase and postproning the beta year after year....

All those games looked good on paper, fans dreamed about them, and when it finally released... between vaporware, horrible games, buggy starts... they flopped miserably. Dreams turn into frustration when proved impossible, and strong solid games are in the wake, so why wait stressfully for an utopia that if released will probably let down the die hard fans who already imagined too much about it.

I dont think there is true haters, there is just people like me who already felt the BURN from other games, and we just dont want you guys to rise your hopes to high, because the fall will only be bigger and we know how it felt.

DnL was an underdeveloped game that was forced to release by its investors. Age or mourning... Well DF isnt going down that road. And vanguard could have tried to polish the game up more.

Its a new company it has to start somewhere and they devs from time to time go to the forums. Year after Year? They've only promised 2.

Which is why aventurine is taking its time. It has no time table and it has plenty of money. They wont make the same mistake as the other games. Its not impossible it takes work and dedication which is what their doing. What makes you think its going to let you down? Past games? As said before they arent makeing the same mistakes as before so such problems shouldnt exist.

Its a game. You shouldnt be as attached to it as your first born.

25 mil to CONTINUE development is quite unlikely. Possibly to finalize, but not to continue. Interest is going to rack the 25 up to 30 eventually, so they're going to need some sort of income to start paying it off. They're probably polishing up the game for beta/release so they can start paying off that hefty sum.

DnL was an underdeveloped game that was forced to release by its investors. Age or mourning... Well DF isnt going down that road. And vanguard could have tried to polish the game up more.

Its a new company it has to start somewhere and they devs from time to time go to the forums. Year after Year? They've only promised 2.

Which is why aventurine is taking its time. It has no time table and it has plenty of money. They wont make the same mistake as the other games. Its not impossible it takes work and dedication which is what their doing. What makes you think its going to let you down? Past games? As said before they arent makeing the same mistakes as before so such problems shouldnt exist.

Its a game. You shouldnt be as attached to it as your first born.

Vanguard was also forced to release by SOE, I believe. Which is the reason why it's now starting to become a complete game.

I don't think it shares many characteristics with any of those games, actually.

• ttitanttitan Member Posts: 25

"25 mil taken out for the game recently. beta is soon."

First of all. Where exactly is some solid official proof that they have a loan worth 20 million?  There is NO solid official proof.

The only "proof" is a very vague mention on some vague website somewhere.  And no where does it say ANYTHING about any kind of loan being used for Darkfall development. Wishful thinking fools.  Wake up and take sip of reality.

• FlurtypFlurtyp Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by ttitan
    blablabla..Wake up and take sip of reality.

Thank you for your concern ttitan. It's nice to know you care.

Originally posted by ttitan

"25 mil taken out for the game recently. beta is soon."
    First of all. Where exactly is some solid official proof that they have a loan worth 20 million?  There is NO solid official proof.
    The only "proof" is a very vague mention on some vague website somewhere.  And no where does it say ANYTHING about any kind of loan being used for Darkfall development. Wishful thinking fools.  Wake up and take sip of reality.

"With the latest news to be uncovered, it appears Aventurine has procured a 20 million Euro convertible bond ($27.5m USD) loan with Marfin Bank[27] at the behest of Proton Investment Bank of Greece[28]. Now I'm not expert in MMORPG development and distribution, and I wouldn't pretend to be, but when last ditch desperation investments from big name has-beens like Interplay, throwing every shred of their capability into one Last Hurrah that is Fallout Online, confidently dedicate what is assumed to be an overkill amount of $75m USD to the pre-production, development, and publishing of a software[29] I can't help but think that no more than $25m of that would be dedicated to initial server hosting and publishing. Without much enthusiasm or presumption, I would submit that the wait for Darkfall is over. $27.5m loans tend to be a bitch to pay off interest on, especially when sitting squarely on your laurels."

-Surly, Darkfall WarCry Columnist

FYI WarCry is the leading site for Darkfall information aside from the official site, and not just some fan page.

</pwn>

Edit: Oh and just to clarify, Adventurine was founded to develop Darkfall and does not make any other public games. Therefore, if the loan is made out in the name of the company, it MUST be used for the game, by law. What else would you like, a receipt?

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

I dunno if I'd call it vaporware but I honestly am losing hope that it will ever release.   Darkfall is a game I'm really hoping WILL release and WILL live up to it's promises.  But I have become much less hopeful as time has gone buy.

And anyone who thinks it's tough to get a business loan for a game needs to rethink.  Just because they got a loan doesn't mean the game will make it... nor does it mean the game will live up to promises/expectations.  I'll be very surprised if it lives up to it's promises and expectations if it does manage to release.

Like I said... I dunno if I'd call it vaporware.... but I am not going around blindly proclaiming that just because they got a loan it'll release.  Loans get defaulted on by companies due to bankruptcy all the time.  Also the fact that they had to get a loan doesn't bode well because it means no investors took them seriously enough to cover their costs.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

Originally posted by Taram

I dunno if I'd call it vaporware but I honestly am losing hope that it will ever release.   Darkfall is a game I'm really hoping WILL release and WILL live up to it's promises.  But I have become much less hopeful as time has gone buy.
    And anyone who thinks it's tough to get a business loan for a game needs to rethink.  Just because they got a loan doesn't mean the game will make it... nor does it mean the game will live up to promises/expectations.  I'll be very surprised if it lives up to it's promises and expectations if it does manage to release.
    Like I said... I dunno if I'd call it vaporware.... but I am not going around blindly proclaiming that just because they got a loan it'll release.  Loans get defaulted on by companies due to bankruptcy all the time.  Also the fact that they had to get a loan doesn't bode well because it means no investors took them seriously enough to cover their costs.
    You dont have to base it just off the loan. Theres a lot more evidence in the other threads if you look through them.

Marfin bank invested in them.

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

You dont have to base it just off the loan. Theres a lot more evidence in the other threads if you look through them.

Marfin bank invested in them.

No, Marfin bank gave them a loan.   Investing means you basically give them money in the hopes of a return.  A LOAN on the other hand means if they screw up and go bankrupt you can seize assets to recoup some/all of your money.  HUGE difference.  The fact that they got a loan means that they have some money... for now.  The fact that they had to get a loan rather than an investor means that no investors felt that they had a promising enough product to sink any more assets into them.

And, like I said, I've been following the game for eons now, since they originally announced it in fact.  I truely hope it lives up to their promises but I am honestly not all that convinced they are going to pull it off.  If they do, great.  But sitting here preaching pie-in-the-sky fantasy is crazy.  They haven't got a playable beta yet.  Until they do all you are doing is guessing that they might pull it off based on no facts whatsoever.

I never said it was 'vaporware' I said I don't have a whole lot of confidence anymore.  It's been 5 years, no matter how you slice it, and they have yet to even get it into alpha.  This does not bode well for the game.  If they do get it into alpha and actually HAVE a beta?  I'll be the first one to jump into it.  But until they actually get a playable beta rolling I'm going to continue to take anything they say with a huge grain of salt and a pinch of skepticism.

What's funny is we heard the same arguements about Dark & Light... and Irth... and any number of other 'the next UO' games (to include Roma Victor).  So don't preach to me about how they got a loan, etc.  Sure they did.  But the fact is this:

They have been announcing this game ad nauseum for years.  The only surprising thing is that you guys still have so much faith in them.  YES I would absolutely LOVE them to pull it off.  And YES I still keep my eyes on the game.  But No I'm not running around telling people how GREAT this game is going to be because the fact is simple:  There is no game  yet.  We have no idea how good, bad or otherwise it will be until we actually get in and PLAY it.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

No, Marfin bank gave them a loan.   Investing means you basically give them money in the hopes of a return.  A LOAN on the other hand means if they screw up and go bankrupt you can seize assets to recoup some/all of your money.  HUGE difference.  The fact that they got a loan means that they have some money... for now.  The fact that they had to get a loan rather than an investor means that no investors felt that they had a promising enough product to sink any more assets into them.
    And, like I said, I've been following the game for eons now, since they originally announced it in fact.  I truely hope it lives up to their promises but I am honestly not all that convinced they are going to pull it off.  If they do, great.  But sitting here preaching pie-in-the-sky fantasy is crazy.  They haven't got a playable beta yet.  Until they do all you are doing is guessing that they might pull it off based on no facts whatsoever.
    I never said it was 'vaporware' I said I don't have a whole lot of confidence anymore.  It's been 5 years, no matter how you slice it, and they have yet to even get it into alpha.  This does not bode well for the game.  If they do get it into alpha and actually HAVE a beta?  I'll be the first one to jump into it.  But until they actually get a playable beta rolling I'm going to continue to take anything they say with a huge grain of salt and a pinch of skepticism.
    What's funny is we heard the same arguements about Dark & Light... and Irth... and any number of other 'the next UO' games (to include Roma Victor).  So don't preach to me about how they got a loan, etc.  Sure they did.  But the fact is this:
    They have been announcing this game ad nauseum for years.  The only surprising thing is that you guys still have so much faith in them.  YES I would absolutely LOVE them to pull it off.  And YES I still keep my eyes on the game.  But No I'm not running around telling people how GREAT this game is going to be because the fact is simple:  There is no game  yet.  We have no idea how good, bad or otherwise it will be until we actually get in and PLAY it.
    Marfin bank helped sell securites to the public market for aventurine. The security is a convertible bond which is a type of investment. Where the person who buys it can either get the principal+interest or exchange it for shares.

no facts? The only one with no facts here is those who proclaim its vaporware. There is more than enough to show that their is a game especially since the fact that a hacker actually played the game. Or is that not enough proof for you?

If you want to talk about true development considering in 2003 they scraped everything to start over. Its in internal beta now. Well teh fact that someone else besides the devs have played the game isnt enough for you eh?

Yes but those games failed because of not enough funds or not enough time.

2 times have they officially announced beta. The first one is understandable but not on the second one.

Now I NEVER said this game was going to be great but it has a lot of potential. I agree we wont find out untill we play it for ourselves.

• spikenogspikenog Member Posts: 283

But the fact is this:

This is going to be response to every Darkfall post from now on.

Well said Taram!

• spikenogspikenog Member Posts: 283

no facts? The only one with no facts here is those who proclaim its vaporware. There is more than enough to show that their is a game especially since the fact that a hacker actually played the game. Or is that not enough proof for you?
    Where is the proof of this...please provide links to videos, movies, sound files, screenshots...  Anything that will validate this wild claim that hackers are playing this game.