Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game that bad?

AguyAguy Member Posts: 561

Geez, I hear how bad this game is all the time, how the company scams it's customers and how it's impossible to download.  Yet it's forum has over 1k threads.  What makes this game so bad?

Comments

• agh50agh50 Member Posts: 124

Is DnL REALLY *that* bad?

Well, the answer would be yes--and no. 

Every bad thing you have heard about the company's business practices and customer support is pretty much true.

The company HAS lied.  It HAS tried to bill people months after they cancelled their accounts.  It HAS been embroiled in a ugly legal issue over ownership of the basic graphic engine the game uses.  It HAS been unresponsive to player requests and needs.

As a player of the game, I cannot honestly say that any of those accusations is false or overstated.

As far as the game itself, there is a little better report card. 

Yes, there are serious performance issues and login problems, though there are a number of solutions that have been found, (by the players--not the company), that have solved many of those issues.  The actual in-game play, (once you actually get it downloaded and logged in) is maybe a notch or two under DAoC (roughly).  The designers HAVE made a number of improvements since it's release a year ago.  There ARE some truly unique and 'fun' aspects to the game.  There ARE weekly GM events.  The player base IS starting to build again, and most of the in-game problems are 'nusciance' type issues, and not game breakers.  Most, (if not all), MMOs have similar irritating glitches.  However, unlike most other games, the chances of those glitches actually being addressed and fixed in a timely manner is much less.   I won't say they WON'T get fixed, because a number have been fixed--but it takes this game a year to fix what other games get fixed in 4-6 weeks.  It also has a very strong and supportive player community--shared adversity bonds the players together.

All-in-all, this is not a game anyone would pay to play, even it's supporters.  An honest rating of the game play itself is probably around 4.8 - 5.2 now, (but really WAS around 3.6 - 4.0 at launch)

It's free.  There is nothing to lose.  Try it and see for yourself.  It will only take a 2-3 weeks for you to experience the best and the worst of DnL.  There is nothing better than first hand experience!

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702

I remember it being pretty hyped and I wanted to play it. Since it came out, all I have heard is bad and the reviews speak volumes.

• ZANGFEIZANGFEI Member Posts: 439

The landmass is large, but so is the steps to learn the game. you don't just create a character and start killing. It's best to read up on the GODS and which critters you can Kill to entice the God you want to be friends with. yes i liked it for the scenery as well. for myself i liked to use the Glider to get out of troubled waters but other than that i walked and it was well worth the trouble to me.

It's a very hard game and just way to hard for most to understand, the ones that run out the door and start killing get no-place and scream crappy game.... Ohh it can be just that if you don't use your head. in other words there are repercussion on everything you do.

Have fun, trust me it's not all gone there is still some around.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

the original billing deal:  15 dollars a month to play, you can suspend billing(fine print says that this is for 6 months, yes it is very tiny print), and somewhere not visable on the page(some scrolling) you can cancel your account(canceling costed $10.95).  this was reason enough for me not to play when it came.  and I'm glad for it due to their failure to have a stable billing system.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• GalaxiacelesGalaxiaceles Member Posts: 154

I honestly tried  this game. When I say "tried" I mean I couldn't make a character since the UI wasn't working and no models were showing up. Great Game 10/10 !

• smek1975smek1975 Member UncommonPosts: 73

Was one of the players that got scammed.

I tryed to stop my suscription but the compady refused it, my last option was to call my bank and maked them deny the mounthly payment. thats no way a gaming company should behave, this is not a unique issue, alot of players had it that way...

BOYCUT and show the solidarity with the rest of us, good game of not! but really its SHIT imo

It is hard to tell if a man is telling the truth when you know you would lie if you were in his place

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863

I'd never play this game again, not even for free. I was one of the many people who digitally purchased this game at launch. After 2 hours of disappointing performance and technical issues, not to mention dull graphics and a skill system I didn't like to much, I "tried" cancelling my account. Do you know DnL was probably the only game I almost had to pay someone to have it cancelled? It's as If the company purposely tried to refuse people from cancelling their accounts lol. It took me over a week to have someone from billing to respond to me after asking nicely to please cancel my subscription. Eventually they complied after I wrote a couple more "threatening to have a lawsuit" on their hands if my account wasn't cancelled immediately.  Yea, it actually went that far lol.

For everyone out there, please do NOT even bother with this crap. Gods and heroes, AoC, and WAR are coming out soon. Wait for them b4 trying this game.

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

• CholaynaCholayna Member Posts: 1,604

Heyas Oakthornn! Nice to see you again. And yes, the crap they are trying to lay down is still going on. I'm mainly just waiting for the final verdict.Vindication of all those they ripped off will be a good day.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Cholayna

Heyas Oakthornn! Nice to see you again. And yes, the crap they are trying to lay down is still going on. I'm mainly just waiting for the final verdict.Vindication of all those they ripped off will be a good day.

And when it's all over, may God be taking his day off, so that there is no mercy on their souls.

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by JonnyWarhawk

I remember it being pretty hyped and I wanted to play it. Since it came out, all I have heard is bad and the reviews speak volumes.

Ohh yeah when beta was announced and the forums had DEVS discussing ideas, ideas that never came to the game. I was in beta from the early stages, the game was so crap then and had no content in it. I loved how the forum users on D&L all talked crap like it was the best game. Towards the end before the release the game was still not considered a MMORPG to me and serious flaws exumed, before NDA I had spoke on these forums regarding the practices of the company and how the game did not have any content. That the game would be a failure. My posts was unfortunately deleted because of some fanboys saying how I broke NDA, but I was right then to warn the people not to purchase this POS game.

Yes this game is horrible, waste your money elsewhere.

• CognetoJoeCognetoJoe Member Posts: 446

I'm enjoying my free time in a big game. The game is massive, and there are no guard rails. It is very easy to get side track with quests, and there are a good many quest to do .Myself personlally have not found one game stopping / breaking bug yet ...  maybe soon, I've been playing for about 2 weeks , so a bug should appear soon ?  Game is free now , what is there to lose. 

• BadTBadT Member Posts: 84

The game is indeed still borked. Errors are still the same. Someone made the comment -- the more they try to drum up players, the more haters they end up making -- unfortunately this is true. (although I have allowed a few of my buddies to log in and have a ROFLMAO episode for themselves a few times )

• agh50agh50 Member Posts: 124

I play it.  I like it.  A number of others do to.  Yes, it is still 'borked' in many ways, but we work around it.  It's not *as* 'borked' as it was.  Still, even though I play and like it, I would not pay to play.  However, that does not preclude me from having a good time though.  A game is only as good as the people that play it.  Thus far, I like the community.  Small, admittidly, but that does have *some* positive aspects as well as the, (obvious), negative ones.

You don't want to play?--your choice.

You feel ripped off by the company?--you're not alone.  I too was charged after I cancelled my account, but I wrote off the $39, and moved on.  I spend more than that for a round on the bar.  Others are not so forgiving--again your choice, (and mine).

Nobody asks you to like it.  Nobody asks for you to fogive and to forget,.  Nobody asks you not to warn potential players off, (based on your experiences)

Heck, at least some who play and enjoy it, (*cough*  me  *cough*), don't even dispute your facts.

The point is, it's a personal choice.  One person's choice is not any better than another's.  I've had a lot less enjoyment in FAR more polished games than DnL.  Each person looks for different things in a game.

Not your cup of tea?--fine by me.

I just expect the same courtesy.  (not saying you, personally, haven't extended that courtesy,  just making a general statement based on past experience)

Reasonable men may reasonably disagree.

All views *should* be accepted, don't you think?  After all, isn't that the entire purpose of forums like this?  A free exchange of ideas expressed civily and respectfully?

Originally posted by BadT

The game is indeed still borked. Errors are still the same. Someone made the comment -- the more they try to drum up players, the more haters they end up making -- unfortunately this is true. (although I have allowed a few of my buddies to log in and have a ROFLMAO episode for themselves a few times )

This is true, at least according to what I have seen myself recently. There are also other posts within the last month - month and a half which report problems with the game and even still problems with setting up the game itself. But again, it goes back to having to reconfigure some of your own internal system using some of the player made workarounds. This of course after frustratingly trying to figure it out or even find the answers. I believe Agh50 posted one link to some of the damage control workarounds. As yet another poster stated there has been no patch or anything in 2007 yet, it does reiterate that the same problems still do exist.

• KanaxaiKanaxai Member UncommonPosts: 120

The game IS getting better......but its a bit slow, but it IS...this game HAD THE POTENTIAL TO BE AWESOME! but it released like two years early..lol

• ScipionisScipionis Member Posts: 1

Yeah, this game has alot of issues, but its support forums (although pretty much run by players and pretty much ignored by devs and such) do cover almost any conceivable problem.  The gameplay is not the prettiest but I find it rather enjoyable.  Personally, $30 isn't a reason to absolutely hate something and try to destroy it (I'm not entirely sure how much people lost at the beginning, but it does not seem like it could be way too much).  The game almost requires you to start off with quests and if you don't do them and just try to kill everything you see, then you might find it incredibly boring and slow, but otherwise the game really is not that bad.  I can understand why people wouldn't like it but it does have some redeeming qualities (namely the crafting system, the team PvP. and the way that you choose your skill class) but you actually have to get past the beginning of the game to notice.  Plus, it is free now, so why not at least give it a chance, I wouldn't be surprised if some people on these forums have not even tried to play the game and even if they did, not for very long.

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923

I have just started playing this game again after a lengthy while and can say that it has made huge improvements since i first tried it and to be honest with you i am actually enjoying it. It is not a hand fed mmo like some titles out there and the graphics are actually not to bad it seems to run better for me at higher resulutions not sure why but it does i dont get any lag have not come across a bug yet and am totally enjoying it. This game has some great potential and some great features about the game. I love the skills and the ease to add and subtract from certain skills on the fly making it easy to increase and decrease certain skills when ever i feel the need to.  I know this is only a minor feature but i think it is great when you run up or down hills your char actually struggles or takes a different stance depending on which way he or she is going i actually think this is a great feature adding realism the game for example i was running down a cliff face when my char took a stance on his back foot as he ren down to stop him fromm falling only to hit a ditch and tumble down the cliff face i then proceed to hit the space bar to watch my char dive and somersault to level ground lol i thought this was a great feature minor i know but it shows that these guys are adding some unique features the game.

Not to mention the skills look great when executed and like i said it is not a hand fed mmo so u need to judge your enemy b4 you try to kill im only low lvl so am unsure as to how higher game play is but so far i am actually quite impressed and it is free now and am loving the fact that nothing is overdone in this game it is really well written and probably deserves a little bit better of a rating but hey that is my oppinion.

Well i guess im saying that this game is actually ok not the best but by far no where near the worst either, has great potential and could be a great game with more players but to be honest with you it has a nice community atm and i would hate that to be spoilt. But it is free and worth a shot what have you really got to lose.

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • LasastardLasastard Member Posts: 604

Have to agree on that. It's free, so I thought "why not?", downloaded the lcient from the ftp server at cap speed, created an account and logged on. No complications whatsoever (been reading complaints about difficulties logging in etc).

Well, character customization is not realy up to todays standards, but it is good enough, I'd say. hair styles, facial hear, some accessories, outfits.

Character animations and overall look are also a bit dated, but a tad better than what they used to be at launch.

My char is a light high elf and started in what seems to be the common newbie area for light chars. What can I say - the world does look stunning. The company may be a bunch of thiefs, but the VWengine is quite cool. Its the only MMO I've played where you actually get a sense of vastness. Climbing on a hill and being able to look 30miles in the distance is pretty impressive.

Other than that, the starting area now has a solid quest line, where you are introduced to all aspects of the game (combat, crafting, exploration). Nothing outstanding, but much better than i expected. I also met a couple of other players, which were all very friendly and helpful. I dont think there are many people playing these days, but enough to chat with and probably to quest with, if need be.

Combat - ok, but not outstanding. If you have played other MMOs, you will find the DnL system quite intuitive and similar. Spells have decent animations and the fireball, forexample, follows a flight path instead of suddenly appearing at its target.

Progression - Stats have to be raised manually, thus allowing you to shape your char the way you want. Skills are raised independently from that. Combat skills are raised within professions (to be chosen at lvl 10), ie. caster can specialize on necromancy, illusions or wizardy - gaining access to all spells within those branches. You can also mix and match but will have spells lower in tier than your level, making your damage pretty lousy.

Crafting - seemed ok, didnt try it much. Resources are bought from vendors, but recipies for items allow you to incorporate drops that will give the item magical enhancements. Better than in some other games, at least.

Sound - actually ok, quite atmospheric at times.

Misc - Flying is probably one of the coolest features in DnL - at level 13 you can purchase a parachute, allowing you to fly greater distances, looking at the world from high above. Moreover, DnL has a real weather system, with thermics allowing you to exploit the wind directions to carry you quite far, if you are clever.

Anhow, not bad for a free game, certainly woth a try. Probabl nothing to replace a good p2p game o the long run.

BWHAHAHHAAAA

Las, man, if you are gonna post in what you are trying to make it appear as though you are a 'new" player to the game, then at least do not use words such as "now has' in any of your sweet descriptions. It gives you away -- if you are new, you wouldnt have known nor experienced any of these for you to choose to use the words used to, now has, etc.

Think boy Think!! BWAHAHAHAAAAa

damn, u got me !

No but seriously, it wasnt actually my intention to come off as a newbie to the game. Followed its development on and of, played that settlers event and found the game to be lacking in about every single aspect imaginable.

But now its actually halfway decent, for a f2p - thats all.

*sigh*

Lets just pretend I wrote "wh not give it a second try, after a year or so"

And no, I am not thinking about playing it regularly, I was merely making the point that this game actually has made significant improvements. It is still no where near what I would call "wort the time" and much less "worth to pay money for" but it is certainly not as abysmal as it was when the Settlers of Ganareth event went down.

But this is not actually about constructive discussion, now is it? Just the usual suspects trying to pick a fight...

Originally posted by Lasastard

*sigh*
    Lets just pretend I wrote "wh not give it a second try, after a year or so"
    And no, I am not thinking about playing it regularly, I was merely making the point that this game actually has made significant improvements. It is still no where near what I would call "wort the time" and much less "worth to pay money for" but it is certainly not as abysmal as it was when the Settlers of Ganareth event went down.
    But this is not actually about constructive discussion, now is it? Just the usual suspects trying to pick a fight...

LMAO!!! Not "trying to pick a fight at all"...merely stating the 'facts"

There is also one thing you guys who try to convince everybody that this game has actually gotten any better in any REAL sense since SOG (which remember wasnt really DNL according to Farlan) that you guys arent even thinking about or perhaps are forgetting......A few of us who post here STILL HAVE ACCOUNTS with the game and DO CHECK IN periodically, especially whenever a new round of these so-called 'new" player posts jam the boards.

So! When some of us, and dont just single me out - you got 10 others here who arent even regular "usual suspects' whom all appear to agree with the "usual suspects" --- state the plain facts, find blaringly false statements made by the fanboi kamakazi league (as further evidenced by the post made on the farlan dnl boards regarding coming here and doing what you are doing -- ) we are only telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth

You guys however get yourself caught in your own games. Aint us "picking fights"...

The posts made here in this thread are wrong, false and made under false pretenses.  We merely point that out and tell the truth...

The game has NOT made any significant improvements since SOG. There is still unstability, no content, broken quests, broken terrain and allllllll the other problems that Farlan ADMITTED that they cant fix...coming on here now and saying it is fixed is a flat out lie. period.

Opinions are one thing....blatant false posts are yet another. But I guess thats all DNL and apparently its fanbois are all about anyway.

• Going to have to agree with Cho, yet again, on this one. I for one am one of those who still have an account and still try to log in every once in a while.

The game is still crap.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Same here. Every few months I bite the bullet and give the game another look and every time I am reminded what a steaming pile of s**** the game is. Then I come here just to remind anyone who might be entertaining the though of giving the pos a try to STAY AWAY. I consider it a public service announcement.

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...