Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Having problems loading Guild Wars

Shaggy67Shaggy67 Sylva, NCPosts: 76Member

I'm new to Guild Wars and am having problems getting the game to run.When I try to run it it has this error message:

Unable to Open Archive file

Guild Wars is unable to access its archive file C:Program FilesGuild WarsGw.dat.Please verify that this file ia accessable and writeable,and that no other programs are currently using it.

I have tried to contact Guild Wars support but haven't had any luck because NC soft can't seem to find my account so that I can submit my question to their technical support. They were helpful when I can get through to them.But hopefully someone here can help me out since I can't get through to them.

Comments

• OdenathusOdenathus Fresno, CAPosts: 661Member

Originally posted by Shaggy67
    Unable to Open Archive file

Guild Wars is unable to access its archive file C:Program FilesGuild WarsGw.dat.

Whelp?! Have you tried reinstalling?
    The game only has 3 files (Gw.dat, Gw.exe, Gw.tmp), have you verified that they are present, and present in the path that the error message mentioned? Did you install them into a different directory?

just a random attempt...

----------------------------------------
    My dog barks some. Mentally you picture my dog, but I have not told you the type of dog which I have. Perhaps you even picture Toto, from "The Wizard of Oz." But I warn you, my dog is always with me.

• Shaggy67Shaggy67 Sylva, NCPosts: 76Member

Thanks for replyng Odenathus,

Thanks for the advice ,I had a feeling that I would have to reinstall it but just wanted to another opinion before I took that step.Just in case the solution was something else.

I know that I could find answers here and that someone could help me out.When I really need answers I turn to MMORPG forums.You guys rock! 

Thanks again to Odenathus.

• EllandraEllandra AberdeenPosts: 90Member

Umm yeah your dat file stores all the data necessary for the game, it's possible it got corrupted somehow. If it is still present int he directory this is the most likely answer. I don't think it's necessary to reinstall as such. Just move the corrupted .dat file out of that directory (dont delete it till you know it is the issue) After you do that, restart the client and it should, in theory just download all the new data.

• Shaggy67Shaggy67 Sylva, NCPosts: 76Member

Thanks for your help Ellandra,

Now I'll know how to deal with this problem if it comes up again.Thank you for responding to my post.

I knew someone that was more computer literate could help me with my problem.I figured it was simple fix but I haven't played too many online games.Since I couldn't get my question through the proper channels. I knew you guys here could point me in the right direction.

Thanks you again! 

• 8hammer88hammer8 Rancho Cucamonga, CAPosts: 1,812Member

Originally posted by Shaggy67

Thanks for your help Ellandra,
    Now I'll know how to deal with this problem if it comes up again.Thank you for responding to my post.
    I knew someone that was more computer literate could help me with my problem.I figured it was simple fix but I haven't played too many online games.Since I couldn't get my question through the proper channels. I knew you guys here could point me in the right direction.
    Thanks you again! 
    Another satisfied customer...

I know it has been said here before, but I see it more and more, the forum posters here in the Guild Wars section have to be some of the most helpful on all of the mmorpg.com site.  It might be from the fact that early posters here were forced to battle the WoW trolls when GW first came aboard and sort of banded together.

I think we just feed the occasional troll so we have a little excitment every now and then.

/hug

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)