Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why AA failed.

DanjakDanjak Member Posts: 197

I loved this game, but like many others, became disillusioned by the empty world and lack of grouping.  That said, I think that AA was a good game that should have been better received and had mad potential. 

AA was "close, but no cigar."  I believe they had the right theme, look, and feel, but went in the wrong direction for the game itself. They wanted it to be the "fastest, most destructive MMOG ever!" Instead, they should have gone for a slower game with more RPG elements. Instead of just mowing down thousands of mobs in a minute, they should have gone for bigger, key encounters and made grouping more essential.  How cool would it have been to get a mission into a town, only to find it subject to a blockade by a local gang of raiders? That the only way to get in is to enlist the help of some friends to either kill them, or draw their fire in a fierce race-for-your-life across the desert wasteland while your buddy sneaks into town to complete the mission.  It should have been Road Warrior, not Twisted Metal.  It was too solo friendly, so people never grouped, no one talked, and you could just teleport / fly to whatever town you wanted anyway.  That last part seemed insane to me in a game based around driving. 

I'd like to see this game bought by someone and converted into a Wasteland/Fallout/Autoduel MMOG. It seems like it could happen without *too* much expense. 

Comments

• jj85624jj85624 Member Posts: 153

too bad they closed it. i think the game has potential too. they just need to draw more players.

i played this game for about 3 weeks and got bored........ maybe its not for me too hehehe

• SnipehunterSnipehunter Member UncommonPosts: 29

Originally posted by Danjak

I loved this game, but like many others, became disillusioned by the empty world and lack of grouping.  That said, I think that AA was a good game that should have been better received and had mad potential. 
    AA was "close, but no cigar."  I believe they had the right theme, look, and feel, but went in the wrong direction for the game itself. They wanted it to be the "fastest, most destructive MMOG ever!" Instead, they should have gone for a slower game with more RPG elements. Instead of just mowing down thousands of mobs in a minute, they should have gone for bigger, key encounters and made grouping more essential.  How cool would it have been to get a mission into a town, only to find it subject to a blockade by a local gang of raiders? That the only way to get in is to enlist the help of some friends to either kill them, or draw their fire in a fierce race-for-your-life across the desert wasteland while your buddy sneaks into town to complete the mission.  It should have been Road Warrior, not Twisted Metal.  It was too solo friendly, so people never grouped, no one talked, and you could just teleport / fly to whatever town you wanted anyway.  That last part seemed insane to me in a game based around driving. 
    I'd like to see this game bought by someone and converted into a Wasteland/Fallout/Autoduel MMOG. It seems like it could happen without *too* much expense. 

Every engineer thinks that code they didn't work on is a "horrible, unrecoverable mess that would just be easier to rewrite than make work" so I doubt that's fiscally valid, but damn dude...  I couldn't agree more.  I always wanted AA to be more RPG and less action...  To be more about the person than the car...  I'd so play that game.  All the time.

• JackDonkeyJackDonkey Member Posts: 383

i only beta'd the game, but what i found is similar to the what the op is saying.  Basically I drove back and forth and just kind of hoped I ran down a lot of dudes, i could turn a little bit and such but i don't know whatever.  I remember before the game was in beta I was thinking it would be cool to have a little motorcycle cirlcing this big semi in a 1v1 duel type thing.  Once i found out it didn't have a death penalty though 1v1 fantasies be damned.

I drove around for a while didn't know what the hell was going on, was following some big arrow for some unknown reason, and when I figured out where to go to run this mission or whatever it was basically just driving really fast and then doing a u turn and repeating hoping i killed stuff along the way.

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    if I were to kill a titan tomorrow and no CCP employees showed up to say grats I would petition it.
    Waiting for: the next MMO that lets me make this macro
    if hp < 30 then CastSpell("heal") SpellTargetUnit("player") else CastSpell("smite") end

• wildo63wildo63 Member Posts: 17

R.I.P. A.A.

• etruscanetruscan Member Posts: 130

I tried the beta... and played about 3 nights before I gave up. I couldn't see the point of running around a wasteland that was limited in scope (ie. size) with no option to jump out (other than inside my city) and run around. This could have been the game to re-invent the player avatar meets vehicle avatar genre... but it failed to do that.

My hopes now shift towards Pirates Of The Burning Sea, which seems to approach a similar idea with a much different perspective.

Originally posted by Danjak

• MidavegMidaveg Member Posts: 296

What failed is the client isnt stable, high system requirements, buggy faction (mutant), and half completed features. I agree that the game is way too solo friendly and that leads to "where is everyone in game!??" I am glad to see AA goes RIP after a year plus of suffering and struggle to survive.

All canceled. Waiting on Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning.

• LuicferLuicfer Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by Midaveg

What failed is the client isnt stable, high system requirements, buggy faction (mutant), and half completed features. I agree that the game is way too solo friendly and that leads to "where is everyone in game!??" I am glad to see AA goes RIP after a year plus of suffering and struggle to survive.
    Sounds to me like you should have just stayed in WoW and leave other mmo's to the real fans.

I'm saddened to see AA fail.  When the concept became public, I was really hoping for a car wars type game.  I did the beta thing with it for quite some time, hoping to help improve the game.  Unfortunately I agree that it was very solo friendly, not really much content.

I am still keeping my fingers crossed that some other company picks it up, does a lil re-write, and tries it again.  I too feel that there is great potential there, if they can find a good mix or RPG/Adventure/Combat.

• bufmufrbufmufr Member Posts: 50

Originally posted by Luicfer

Originally posted by Midaveg

Sounds to me like you should have just stayed in WoW and leave other mmo's to the real fans.

I'm saddened to see AA fail.  When the concept became public, I was really hoping for a car wars type game.  I did the beta thing with it for quite some time, hoping to help improve the game.  Unfortunately I agree that it was very solo friendly, not really much content.

I am still keeping my fingers crossed that some other company picks it up, does a lil re-write, and tries it again.  I too feel that there is great potential there, if they can find a good mix or RPG/Adventure/Combat.

AA is dead.  It will stay dead.  It is Very graphics intense.  Which means you need a high end computer to play it...even a Year+ after launch.  It is buggy. And the coding on it is a mess.

What you can expect, is to see a new Car mmo coming from Netdevil(the devs of AA).  They are shopping to publishers now.

I would guess, that this time, they won't make a 1/4 of the mistakes they did on the first.  Including, needing such high end comps.

AA is dead.  It will stay that way.  Its name has been smeared to badly.  Even those of us who love the game and still play, aren't expecting any miracles.  It was a game ahead of its time.  Made by a Dev team that was inexperienced.  Next, they will do better.

• MMORPGtesterMMORPGtester Member UncommonPosts: 96

Beta tested this one, Played it all the way thought, even pre ordered it, later i bought another copy of it for my nefew to play along with me. The game was fun when you had someone there to be with you and do things with with, a nice group of poeple to run around ground zero.

The town teleporting thins was insane. Back in beta I suggested they add a fee to it. I guess I should have auggested Illiminate it.

The game needed players, and players it didnt have in the start. If they started off slower with one server instead of 3, and better more stable code. The game would have had many poeple, and they could have expanded upon that. Unfortunately they didnt.

Groups and communitys within the game are a big part of many well all mmo's, It is the community and knowing your playing with many people that make it an mmo in the first place.

I will miss aa, I will admit i gave up on it like 5 months after release cause noone else was in ground zero. Then i went back and saw  more poeple finnly made it there, unfortunately they nerfed humans to mutch and gave muties to mutch of an edge. So i left again.

PS: all you old AA players, I went by the name of Premium a human bounty hunter.

• nikkimondnikkimond Member Posts: 40

Just wondering but in a Sci Fi setting they could of easily got commercial contracts which may have not been enough to pay all the bills but to atleast lower the monthly fee down to 5 - 10 $ which may have lured in more players...