Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well I just tried AC

GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

And the combat in the training room was: I got to select low, medium or high. Is that all there is to the combat?

Comments

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

Back when I played there was a lot more to it. Yes Hi Med or Low, but also you get to vary your swing power, fast and soft, medium, or hard and slow.

The high and low aspect allows you the ability to target certain areas. After a while you can tell if someones boots are 500 al and their chest is GSC.

Also with shields and what not, combat is positional. You want to keep people in your frontal 180 degree arc so that your shields al is considered.

Most games combat looks rather dull at low levels, AC is no different there. As you gain levels more of the intricacy's will become apparent.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

You also have to determine which type of attack is best for that monster.  Blunt, Pierce, Fire, Frost, etc.  Mages have a greater selection of attacks than Melees do.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

Originally posted by grunty

You also have to determine which type of attack is best for that monster.  Blunt, Pierce, Fire, Frost, etc.
    Forgot about the armor types... man I remember back in the day when you had to bane each piece of armor for each damage type individually. Before buffs were extended, it took like 10 - 12 min to buff and gave you about 10 min to fight.

Glad they fixed that... but it did make combat interesting when your banes started to drop.

• demandredEBRdemandredEBR Member Posts: 75

the point why ac combat > everything out there is that you can actually dodge enemy attacks and your attacks can be dodged either. and yes the wise choice of elements is an aspect too

• ZpenergyZpenergy Member Posts: 17

If your trying AC for the first time learn the general actions and movements on a Non PvP server then join Darktide (PvP server). It is hands down the best MMO for PvP ever invented. The game doesn't totally revolve around what level you are and which items you have. It takes practice and many many deaths to become good but it's extremely enjoyable. I've played AC since 01' and to this day don't understand how others can enjoy the game by just doing quests and exploring. You want to enjoy AC? Go find someone and kill them.

• HocheteHochete Member CommonPosts: 1,210

Originally posted by Zpenergy

If your trying AC for the first time learn the general actions and movements on a Non PvP server then join Darktide (PvP server). It is hands down the best MMO for PvP ever invented. The game doesn't totally revolve around what level you are and which items you have. It takes practice and many many deaths to become good but it's extremely enjoyable. I've played AC since 01' and to this day don't understand how others can enjoy the game by just doing quests and exploring. You want to enjoy AC? Go find someone and kill them.
    I'm considering giving AC a go, in fact I'll be logging on tonight to check it out. I really really really really want to PVP, but, being a complete choob to the game, I'm worried I'd just get wtfpwnt constantly. Is it really really difficult for a new player to lvl up on the PVP server? Is everyone max lvl and just ganking all over the place?

I'll definitely start a char on the PVE server to check things out first, but I'd definitely want to try pvp out.

• MobfigureMobfigure Member Posts: 44

The dumbest thing I have ever heard... PvP is not at all good on AC. in fact it is the most unbalanced PvP system you will ever find.

Don't listen to that post, and dont waste your money on subscribing to that game, it is dead. Roughly 50 people per server now and probably 2 on the PvP server. Either way dont sub it you will be highly disappointed.

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

Originally posted by Mobfigure
    The dumbest thing I have ever heard... PvP is not at all good on AC. in fact it is the most unbalanced PvP system you will ever find.
    Don't listen to that post, and dont waste your money on subscribing to that game, it is dead. Roughly 50 people per server now and probably 2 on the PvP server. Either way dont sub it you will be highly disappointed.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Darktide, the PvP server, is the most populated with over 500 people on at peak times. Regular servers have around 200-250 at peak times. Also PK is pretty balanced now.

• MetonicMetonic Member Posts: 7

..Let me guess the games dead because you dont play it because when you "subscribed" soemone called you a dumabss and you cried to your mommy right? dumbass.

The Game is  getting alot larger population, no where near as large as it was in its prime but its building many returning players are coming back, several new players are joining.

The PVP system in Asheron's Call is possibly the best PVP system in any game. the combat system grows complexed with higher levels. Once you get to the point of hulling around 10 different swords, fighting in dungeons then youll understand. Then you must chose your speed ECT. swinging low cost less Stam, but I believe High and Medium hurt more.

AC:ToD

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

Originally posted by Mobfigure

Obviously you were never good at it, hence your hatred for it.  But such is not the case anymore.  Where as mages used to reign supreme, it is pretty balanced now.  I tried it out again recently and frequently watched some of the best mages on the server get dropped by archers and melees.  Granted, it is a bit harder to be a melee because of how much running around you have to do, but back in the day even before things were balanced, if a melee really knew what they were doing they could beat a mage no problem.  I frequently watched this UA guy on our server drop mages like it was nothing.  And that's UA.. not even sword or anything powerful.

If you actually took the time and the deaths to learn how to PvP in AC, it was the most rewarding experience of any MMO to date.  Now, not so much.. but in its prime it was amazing.  Your skill as a PKer gave you server-wide recognition.  Going perma-red at the middle levels and not going white until PKL was released.  THAT was fun.  Everywhere you went, you were PK, and everywhere you went there were other PKs.  Running across the landscape XPing, and suddenly there was a PK.. was he going to attack you? Nope.. wait, yep there he goes!  The fight that followed would sometimes end miles from where it started.. you'd aggro mobs while fighting and have to deal with those.  If you won, you got to loot the person you just killed - which in itself is rewarding if they were an enemy.  When PKing was actually fun (it's just an e-peen contest now, and there is no honor in it due to PKL being introduced) you could have a long fight with someone, kill them.. and not loot them, just because you didn't hate them.  They'd tell you thanks and 'gf' and you would move on.

• LanceloreLancelore Member Posts: 17

Mobfigure,

I don't know where you coming from, but your info is far from correct ..... 

Please if you don't have actual data or info, keep this kind of messages to yourself.

What will it bring to you by hurting a game you don't even know (anymore)? Unless it is a kind of misplaced revenge for something you encountered .....

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by GreenChaos

And the combat in the training room was: I got to select low, medium or high. Is that all there is to the combat?

Well if you are looking for "specials" they do not exist in AC.

Combat has a few other things though.

You have your "high, med and low" - what is this for? Different mobs are vulnerable in different areas. If memory serves (its been a long time since I played) Olthoi for example, you aim low to do more damage. If you are hitting in the mid range, they have an armored carapace and you do much much less damage.

You also have a weapon speed slider. The lower (or to the left) you set it, the faster you attack. The faster you attack the lower average damage you do. The higher you set it the slower you attack but do more damage. If you used daggers for example, speed is more important.

There is positional differences in AC also if I remember correctly. Some mobs are more vulnerable to the rear. Also the humaniods who have shields don't get the shield armor from the rear.

You can also physically "dodge" attacks. If something fires an arrow or spell at you, can can strafe or move out of the way.

Weapons do specific damages. I think it was Piecing, slashing, blunt and also there where different effects like Flame and cold damage for example. ALL mobs have different vulnerabilities and resistances!!!! Olthoi are vulnerable to Blunt but very resistant to slash. (you can also name your stuff which is cool, at level 90 I had a Hammer called "Bug Basher" or something like that)

You are gonna see that although AC is auto attack driven, it requires more physical handling of combat.

Also there are alot of jump obsticles, puzzles/puzzles, locked doors, locked items, riddles and stuff like that. You may not have a modern auto attack special system and go kill 10 rats "quest" but you have a much more challenging gameplay.

Also you have total control over you character development. You can split up your experience points at any time any way you want to improve skills. You can save your skill points and buy any new skill you can afford at any time also. I my day, 3 school meleers were most common. (3 school meaning 3 different types of magic use...I forgot the names)

So what does all of this mean? If you are doing something as simple as hitting a mob in the wrong area, you will probably die as you will not kill it fast enough (also in AC its common to be fighting 5 to 10 mobs at once). If you are using an ineffective damage type against a mob, it will kill you. If you don't move around while fighting ranged mobs, they are going to shoot you to pieces. If youdon't spend you XP effectively, you will not be able to fight as effective as you could.

The game is highly gear dependent as that is where your "specials" are at. All armor and items matter.  Tinkering / salvaging is a key skill. There really isn't any one single piece of equipment or weapon that is the end all in AC. The combinations are more or less unlimited. Tweeking gear is risky but you get some really nice stuff. The game doesn't really start to open up until higher levels so its going to take some time. (I don't know what leveling is like now days but it was pretty slow when I played)

The amount of content this game has is staggering. Don't think you are going to run out of things to do. Quest are long and complex and often you will need to wait until you are able to finish it. Quest are actual quest, not mail or pie delivery runs or kill 10 rats. There are no instructions or icons over the NPCs heards. You will need to read and remember what the NPC says and what he tells you to do. (either that or look it up online) the amount of dungeons and places...awesome... (WTF am I not playing this game?)

It looks simple but its one of the hardest games out there.

EDIT

Sh*t , I just noticed the OP posted this on July 1 and hasn't followed up since...... a few days late and a dollar short....

• NihilxNihilx Member UncommonPosts: 141

Played AC for years and I must say, Darktide was never very "balanced". Way too many griefers. PK'ing on regular servers was way more enjoyable, because only the more mature PvP fans wanted to go through the trouble of becoming a red dot :)

Would come back to the game myself, but 500 people on a server with a game world that size is way too little. Especially considering that a lot of dungeons are suicide if there is no one guarding your back.

AC (retired); EQ (retired); DAoC (retired); Horizons (retired); EQII (retired); CoH (retired); AC II (tested); Lineage II (beta); Neocron (tested); Saga of Ryzom (beta); SWG (retired)...