Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: Games Day Hands-On

13»

Comments

• RiSqU3RiSqU3 Member Posts: 67

im soooooo getting this

• kemistrykemistry Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by Anofalye

Let's me correct 1 sentence on this review...

"...but PvE players can cry, as they will promotes the WAR and contribute to their side while they will not be able to progress on what they may really care about, total and complete mastery of the PvE component of the game."

Been a subpar PvE-grouper/soloer won't do it.  Nobody sane will settle for mediocrity unless they can't commit a serious amount of time; and even then...  Thereby, you will attract only PvPers and casuals PvEers.  Although I like and respect the casuals a lot, eventually they usually come to a point where they need these dimwit hardcores...and the only hardcores they can turn to...they will be PvPers.  They won't understand them, they won't support them properly and they will most likely scorn on their activity and tell them that it is the "WAR", that they contribute to their side efforts...instead of actually helping and understanding what their concerns are.  See, if a PvE casual come crying, telling him it is the WAR won't do it.  Now they may smile, they may not care, but eventually it may determine if they renew subscribtion or if they move to another game...

Having hardcore PvEers groupers in the game is not linked with the amount of stuff PvE has, it is linked with mastery of the PvE itself...and this is denied.

Until we know more about how the dungeons will work you really cant judge whether or not there will be instanced PvE dungeons for you to 'master'. For example, the dungeon described in the last newsletter certainly sounds like your typical PvE experience however it doesnt say what size group its made for, whether or not its instanced, or if its using the PQ system.  

I think what your actually trying to critise is the PQ system, that because you will have zero control on who your questing with and what the rest of your team is doing you will be unable to orchastrate the most efficient strategy to the goal. Well guess what thats actually going to appeal to alot of people, not having to wait for hours to get the 'perfect' group,  not have to worry that the tank just dc'd, not be told by a control freak raid leader how to spec your character.

The type of gamer you described is as rare as the PvP'er who wants permadeath and full looting, you represent a minority. Most people like PvE for the fun of beating the crap out of a boss and getting some nice rewards for doing it, the PQ's in WAR would appear to do that. The type of gamer you describe also likes full control of the environment they play in which is also why these players will despise and most probably totally fail at PvP.

What I really dont get is why you think a casual PvE'er will not only not enjoy WAR but not enjoy it because it will lack hardcore PvE'ers. Do you think casual PUGS incapable of completing PvE content without an altruistic elite guiding their way? With the book of knowledge and PQ's casual PvE'ers have plenty to look forward too, and possibly even more.

• NetKnightNetKnight Member UncommonPosts: 3

I also attended the gameday in MD. Was really interested in game, and after seeing it live, I can't wait for it. The smooth gameplay alone makes me want to play the game. Just hope they have a rock solid launch. Went through EQ2 and Vanguard launches. Really not looking for another disaster.

As for the game play. Casters seemed to be pretty tough. Saw a few on what looked to be discs of air. They were fast and were tearing up peeps. But just like all squishy's, they died in about 3 good hits. Graphics were alot better than I thought they were gonna be. Avatars appear to try and keep to Warhammer models, and scenery was more detailed than I thought it was gonna be. Not on Vanguards quality, but still pleasant to look at.

• jzuskajzuska Member Posts: 418

I want it. gimme gimmie gimme I'll trade ya an iPhone?

• XziledXziled Member Posts: 41

Originally posted by Gre4t

Please don't take me for a fanboy or a 'hater' for the following comments, because I personally feel it must be said.

This article - to me - sounded like a Warhammer fan trying desperately to justify a game he knows full well brings nothing new to the table, and really isn't very impressive.

Not flaming or hating.. But I wish before you make blanket statements, you might take the time to research the game. WaR is bringing so much to the table. Let me break it down for you.

Obviously I am by no means an expert, but I do read most information I can locate on WaR.

Lets start off with the some basics..

I) Public Quests: Currently there are over 300 Public quest in WaR. A public quest is something that the realm as a whole does, not just a group or a guild.( New Concept)

II) Collision Detection: No more running through someone while fighting.. Welcome to the future of Raiding, where you no longer have a single MT and a MA.. Try having a Group of MT keeping the bad guys from busting through to the casters.( New Concept)

III) Multitudes of Armor: As was said in one of the interviews.. for the Iron Breaker alone, there are 40 different armor sets you can earn, not counting armor pieces you pick up along the way.( Not new concept, but definetly stepped up from previous MMO)

IV) PvP/RvR Areas per Level: No more getting ganked at level 10 by a lvl 60 just for shits and grins.( New Concept, battle grounds do not count because it is a limited number of players)

V) 24 Classes at Release: Has never been done in a US MMO. Vanguard didnt even have 24.( Not new concept  but stepped up)

Im sure there are more, but these are the ones that stick out to me.

So in essence, WaR is taking things from Previous MMO and bringing in New Concepts as well. They are definetly on the right track and I think WaR will pull alot of the serious PvPrs from WoW. 

These are just my opinions, take them for what you like.

• ElgarethElgareth Member Posts: 588

Originally posted by NetKnight

Saw a few on what looked to be discs of air. They were fast and were tearing up peeps.

THose were Chaos Magi, and the Discs are actually Demons.

Magi are Player Characters, by the way, and yes, you'll float on that Disc as Player ;-)

• Gre4tGre4t Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by Xziled

Originally posted by Gre4t

Please don't take me for a fanboy or a 'hater' for the following comments, because I personally feel it must be said.

This article - to me - sounded like a Warhammer fan trying desperately to justify a game he knows full well brings nothing new to the table, and really isn't very impressive.

Not flaming or hating.. But I wish before you make blanket statements, you might take the time to research the game. WaR is bringing so much to the table. Let me break it down for you.

Obviously I am by no means an expert, but I do read most information I can locate on WaR.

Lets start off with the some basics..

I) Public Quests: Currently there are over 300 Public quest in WaR. A public quest is something that the realm as a whole does, not just a group or a guild.( New Concept)

II) Collision Detection: No more running through someone while fighting.. Welcome to the future of Raiding, where you no longer have a single MT and a MA.. Try having a Group of MT keeping the bad guys from busting through to the casters.( New Concept)

III) Multitudes of Armor: As was said in one of the interviews.. for the Iron Breaker alone, there are 40 different armor sets you can earn, not counting armor pieces you pick up along the way.( Not new concept, but definetly stepped up from previous MMO)

IV) PvP/RvR Areas per Level: No more getting ganked at level 10 by a lvl 60 just for shits and grins.( New Concept, battle grounds do not count because it is a limited number of players)

V) 24 Classes at Release: Has never been done in a US MMO. Vanguard didnt even have 24.( Not new concept  but stepped up)

Im sure there are more, but these are the ones that stick out to me.

So in essence, WaR is taking things from Previous MMO and bringing in New Concepts as well. They are definetly on the right track and I think WaR will pull alot of the serious PvPrs from WoW. 

These are just my opinions, take them for what you like.

Alright I admit I knew very little about the game and perhaps my comments were completely unjust. Thanks for that.

• torioustorious Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by Xziled

Phalanx?

• Suta_SafaiaSuta_Safaia Member Posts: 101

I've said it before, and now I get to say it once again.  If an MMO ever creates a PvP system that prevents ganking so that the PvP is always fun, I'll be there to try it out.  So far, it appears that this may be the first game I actually WANT to try out :P