Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opinions on Kingdom Reborn

Ramones274Ramones274 Member Posts: 366
Just wondering, those of you that are playing the beta...what is your opinion of it so far?

I've played Ultima Online once before..and the UI was really the only thing holding me back..

This one is FAR easier to use..and I seem to be getting sucked into the game..

Anyone else?

There are two kinds of people in this world. People who pick their nose.. and liars.

Comments

• ttomm46ttomm46 Member UncommonPosts: 446

Same here..Been doing EQ 2 also but getting bored of that at Least UO seems deeper....Like the beta too.

Tom

• TicalianoTicaliano Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by Ramones274

Just wondering, those of you that are playing the beta...what is your opinion of it so far?

I've played Ultima Online once before..and the UI was really the only thing holding me back..

Anyone else?

I posted this in another thread, but it includes my opinion of the game, so I'll just re-post it here:

Well, I finally got the registration issue squared away, but now, I almost wish I hadn't.  "Unnatural" is the best way to describe Ultima Online : Kingdom Reborn. It felt nothing like Ultima Online in any way, shape or form. They're trying harder than ever to force poor UO into being something that it so clearly is not, and never will be. That being said, Kingdom Reborn is dismal. Seriously. I can't believe they spent all of that time working on this. Trust me, what I played tonight bordered on comical (and I'm not even talking about the multitude of bugs I suffered through). So much for "retaining the originality and appeal" of the game. I think it's more than safe to say they've missed that objective by a good mile and a half. Then again, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. We're talking about Electronic Arts here, and I've come to expect nothing less.

I guess there's not much left for me to say aside from the fact that the future doesn't look bright for our old friend, Ultima Online. And I honestly don't see much in the way of hope, considering they're almost at the end of the public beta. Surely there must be at least one good thing worth mentioning, right? Well, yeah, there is: I got to satisfy my curiosity free of charge. Aside from that, nothing else comes to mind. And if you think I'm exaggerating, please, go see for yourself.
  • tenpigstenpigs Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Originally posted by Ticaliano

Anyone else?

I posted this in another thread, but it includes my opinion of the game, so I'll just re-post it here:

Well, I finally got the registration issue squared away, but now, I almost wish I hadn't.  "Unnatural" is the best way to describe Ultima Online : Kingdom Reborn. It felt nothing like Ultima Online in any way, shape or form. They're trying harder than ever to force poor UO into being something that it so clearly is not, and never will be. That being said, Kingdom Reborn is dismal. Seriously. I can't believe they spent all of that time working on this. Trust me, what I played tonight bordered on comical (and I'm not even talking about the multitude of bugs I suffered through). So much for "retaining the originality and appeal" of the game. I think it's more than safe to say they've missed that objective by a good mile and a half. Then again, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. We're talking about Electronic Arts here, and I've come to expect nothing less.

I guess there's not much left for me to say aside from the fact that the future doesn't look bright for our old friend, Ultima Online. And I honestly don't see much in the way of hope, considering they're almost at the end of the public beta. Surely there must be at least one good thing worth mentioning, right? Well, yeah, there is: I got to satisfy my curiosity free of charge. Aside from that, nothing else comes to mind. And if you think I'm exaggerating, please, go see for yourself.

I agree that this is dismal. I have lots of nostalgia for UO because it was my first MMO and I met good people there, some of who I still have contact with.

I was really undecided whether I went into it or not and I didnt expect great things, I have to admit. However I did, and I was not impressed. It reminded me of way back when I beta tested 3rd Dawn. Same kind of feel too it when you see horse/mounts 'floating along the road. The UI itself is a bit better with the hotbars etc, but its not great and the map is just laughable.

Also ...I know that you can use your chars on an existing account to test KR, but I got a beta key and went with a new account because it was so long since I played so I could do the tutorial. I started and entered haven. My char was told that I had to do several challenges before I could venture further. So I did the first one, to kill a skel, and then I was stuck in this kinda square full of skels with no apparent way out. I killed lots of skels and still no further instructions from 'Gwen' the tutorial, which incidentally is a largish window right on  your UI which only goes away if you cancel the tutorial. This is what I did eventually to get out. I dunno if this is part of the current UO tutorial or not or if its KR specific. I also tried to use the help menu for being stuck. There is only the haven help for stuck if you are a 'young' char and I just got a message 'you are already in haven'.

So basically my experience of KR is not all that good. I also didnt think Id have to enter credit card details to play a beta, 14 days free. But there you goI will be cancelling that before my trial is over because Im not paying for it in that state. Id rather pay for the regular UI as it is. But I may go in again and see if any of the bugs are ironed out before then. Im not really regarding it as beta, but just a trial.

Its a shame, I was intrigued by the upgrade, and I just dont think its for me. I find it hard to believe that its almost at the end of public beta.

• Ammon777Ammon777 Member Posts: 308
    They aught to make Ultima Online 2.
    Originally posted by Ammon777

yep, Id try that out for sure

• ThedrizzleThedrizzle Member Posts: 322

They tried that about 6 years ago and it flopped.

Originally posted by Thedrizzle

They tried that about 6 years ago and it flopped.

I remember that!
  • SWGLoverSWGLover Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 539

My favorite bit about UO2:

http://www.wtfman.com/uo2movie.htm

( just watch the trailer, if ya'll go deeper into the site, don't blame me!      )

• graham187graham187 Member Posts: 20
    I've played around with UO:KR the last few days trying out a new UO account (15 day free UO:Gold on fileplanet since the KR beta keys didn't work for me) with the hopes that it may actually revitalize my interest in the game.

Right now the client is buggy, really buggy.. as in frustration I can't believe they'd miss this before releasing the beta buggy.

Problem Issues I encountered (some are listed on their known issues list, but I get em all the time and it causes frustration every time)

The UI has very little customization options, either nothing saves, or it saves in locations I don't want it. The chat window is cumbersome and I can't figure out how to disable it, shrink it or remove it all together. I split my tabs when first playing around with it, now I'm stuck with 2 chat windows and no idea how to combine them again.

My mouse cursor disappears and will only return after restarting (difficult to do when the UI is entirely mouse driven to get outta the game)

The buy window won't allow scrolling though the items, gotta move the screen every time you scroll down to get an item update.

Clicking on anything is a chore, especially corpses.

I know it's a question about opinions, but it's tough to get a good opinion of something while spending the time frustrated that it won't function.

Good points

- They've maintained much of the original UO UI's movement, and interaction with some objects while improving things like the macro system in a large way.

- The game can finally run on a 17" LCD monitor in proper resolution.

- Graphics are an improvement in many areas

- OSI finally put in a hotkey area similar to that of other MMO's, it doesn't oft save for me, but then again, very little in the client does.

Bad Points

- Sound is still atrocious, I have to mute it as soon as I get in as to avoid irritation by the zombies, or corpsers or dragons or whatever else is making that god awful single sound racket.

- Character avatar customization is still near non-existant, at least with the old client you could tell approximately what your character would look like (hair color and skin color wise) before entering the game, but this new one only gives very little change in the appearance of the hair or skin. Only 10 faces are available to select on each male/female and they all look hideous ugly, not that it makes a difference as when your in the game it just comes up on the paperdoll anyway. If OSI was gonna go though the hassle of making a whole new client, they could have provided the user with some real character customization options instead of that farce of a system.

- Creating a personally customized new character remains a chore if you want to configure the skills/stats to your preferance instead of having 60/10/10 stat and 50-50 skill. When adjusting the slider in a negative direction it doesn't just add to a pool of points, it automatically applies the points wherever it deems worthy, whether or not I actually want the points there.

- The avatar actually looks worse then it did with original UO. It looks like a splotch of colors instead of a distinguishable creation. Armor and clothes don't make the character here, they just make the eyes hurt.

Summary

I can't say I'd pay for this upgrade or to play UO again. I was so hopeful because UO took many years of my life with the fun it provided but with the other options available now, I can't see myself going back to it with only the minor improvements on some of the graphics and interface.
  • iluvVGiluvVG Member Posts: 77
    Ok...UO is a great game.  Dont get me wrong.  When I look back on my UO playing days I have nothing but good memories.  UO was not only great, but revolutionary.  It really changed a certain aspect of gaming, especially in the online multiplayer department.

Unfortunately, after getting my hands on KR, I think they should have let my memories be.  I dont feel like trying to recreate everything I loved about UO in a modern MMO was a good idea. 

The reason people dont play UO anymore is it is just obsolete.  It doesnt have what other games have added to the MMO scene in the past 8 yrs.  I dont feel like KR competes any better than the original UO does except for some graphics updates (which are still 2d), and a UI make over.

Perhaps if they moved on and used modern tools to create a modern MMO setting, I would have felt differently.  The days of 2d all-the-fun-comes-from-the-community days are over.  For me, a modern MMO needs to offer more.  Not that graphics make the game, because UO is still in my top 5, but using the UO system in a 3d world (NOT like the old 3d world they tried, an upadated one for sure) would have been spectacular.

Sadly, I would still probably play the old UO.  This just feels like a fake to me.
  • uoplayer123uoplayer123 Member Posts: 225
    I like what I have seen so far , paperdools need work , but  this is a great start..
  • MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106
    KR is where I think I'll just drop off my axe and leave this game for good.  Been playing this game off and on many times since 1999.  KR was a huge let down.  The avatars look amazingly stupid and running looks like a joke.  I honestly think the old 2D graphics look better.  I will say the houses looks great and so do some of the monsters.  But I've been through enough with this game.  Time for it to just die, in my opinion.
    /played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• docminusdocminus Member Posts: 717
    Well, somehow they did a nice job with the revamped graphics and all. But the basic game mechanics are the same, besides the changes over the years.

The thing I most enjoyed was acutally my house, lol, was more like "Second Life" in britannia for me.

Call me spoiled, but with all the "modern" MMOs with their graphics, and population, somehow I just can't get back into UO, KR or not. U2 - now that would be something else. But that is equally likely as SWG2.....

imageimage

• DruNk_DwArF2DruNk_DwArF2 Member UncommonPosts: 196

Anyone else?
    I am not in beta but..i haven't played UO since '99 and it's been a long long time obviously i never could see myself coming back,but now with KR i can see myself giving this a try,hopefully i like it it looks beautiful!

MMORPG's Under my belt:UO,EQ1,EQ2,SWG,L2,COH,COV,WoW,AC2,Shadowbane,DAOC,FFXI,GW,D&D,V:SOH,LOTR:O

• dinanm3atldinanm3atl Member Posts: 215
    sounds like it is lame... that is too bad...

Oh the great memories and stories I had... I even re-opened my 71 month old account and tried to play again... it lasted about 1 month and I quit... I started a brand new character and was 5x GM in less than a week.. that is just LAME...

Pre-Trammel was oh so much fun!!!

Old Skool Ultima Online Junky
    Bring back the OLD UO so I can play again

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    I was going to give KR a try but sadly i may wait until it is raining ... this thread has put a real dampner on it for me...

• borg137borg137 Member Posts: 1
    It leaves alot to be desired, but is as expected for somthing still in beta. It feels rushed. It uses 100% of your CPU, which no UO player is used to. While it is fun to play under the KR client, I find playing the game under the older client even better. hopefully when they sort out all the issues and problems people are having and release a few more patches to fix those  problems, it will be a much more solid experience....

2 1/2 stars in my opinion...
  • batman5000batman5000 Member Posts: 2

I like the old UO...awesome game...still is.  The improved graphics should just make it as good or a smidge better.  As far as becoming a GM in a week....you could always do that...since the begining.  Nothig has changed...all you have to do is stay on the computer 24 hours a day playing it for all 7 days of the week and sure you could be a 5 gm.  Ive played a few of the popular MMorpgs and none of them are that good.  Not like UO anyway and if someone can tell me one MMorpg that has the versatility and openess as UO please do.

Dont know many that have house building, a pub you can hangout and talk with friends, join a group or go solo and do good.  Havent really played a game with so many professions.  I just got done playing WoW and that game doesnt even compare to UO.  Sure it has graphics but not the openess of UO.  Now I havent played Star Wars Galaxues yet and I might add that it could be close to UO.  From what I read and hearing people bash it, sounds like they messed it up wtih new patches...I dont know.  Thats the only other game I could see comparing it to UO.

• JaxgamerJaxgamer Member Posts: 25
    I left UO WAYYYY back when they split the world in half so all those whiney people who got ganked all the time would not quit the game.

I wasn't rich, I had a house (small one).  I never did get Glorious, but I did however have a toon I ruined and he was perma red...

Anyway...  I quit when they screwed it up the first time.  Oh how I miss standing at the bank wondering if the guy in the grey robe next to you was looking through your bags...  LOL

I tried to go back, but it was never the same.

Customer Service always sucked and those, so called, councellors in the blue robes were about worthless...

All in all, I remember it because it was my first MMORPG.  I left and went to AC and beta'd a couple of games (AO and Earth & Beyond).  Since those days I have played many MMorpg's including Motor City Online (which no one probably has heard of).

UO was the game you loved to hate to love.
  • TenebrionTenebrion Member Posts: 179
    I'd gladly pay $30 a month to have a pre-UO:R again ; I crave a good sandbox world again.

Content Writer for RTSGuru.com
    And overall bitter old man.

• iduumsiduums Member Posts: 205
    You do realise you don't have to upgrade to KR and you can still use the old graphic engine.?  I don't understand the complaining.  If you don't like it don't upgrade and you will still have your 10 yr old outdated graphics
  • moogtropolismoogtropolis Member Posts: 23

they ought to just give up and consider the fact that they destroyed a good game....

althought i guess a part 2 could be what they need.

totally forget about the great game they ruined. and start from scratch that way its a new game they ruine instead of one that was actually a dam good game. oh well, to me UO is over and done with. its never gonna be the same..... ever

starting from... Ultima Online, Odyssey Online Classic, Diablo, Faldon, EQ, Darkage of Camelot, Diablo II, EQ2, World of Warcraft, FFF, whats next for Moog? (trying EQ2 again...!)

• moogtropolismoogtropolis Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by SWGLover

My favorite bit about UO2:
    http://www.wtfman.com/uo2movie.htm

( just watch the trailer, if ya'll go deeper into the site, don't blame me!      )

haha thats funny..... i actually remember what that was now. it was gonna be a 3D UO wasnt it????

starting from... Ultima Online, Odyssey Online Classic, Diablo, Faldon, EQ, Darkage of Camelot, Diablo II, EQ2, World of Warcraft, FFF, whats next for Moog? (trying EQ2 again...!)

• RoyspiRoyspi Member Posts: 202
    Originally posted by Tenebrion

I'd gladly pay $30 a month to have a pre-UO:R again ; I crave a good sandbox world again.

it can be yours for nothing.

• JJaznJJazn Member Posts: 5
    seems not many people liked the UO new beta right now, well the good news is that it is still in beta. heheh so lets all cross our fingers and hope for the best

JJ